Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase
Reload this Page Pokémon Helio Version

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Which starter would you pick?
Chamelica - Grass Starter 110 26.51%
Kittorch - Fire Starter 199 47.95%
Pireel - Water Starter 106 25.54%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 19th, 2010 (05:17 PM). Edited April 19th, 2010 by aquakip.
Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates

Nature: Naive
Updated the first post with the full evolution lines. Tell me what you think of them and drop by the poll! I wanna know what starter you'd choose.

Old April 19th, 2010 (10:22 PM).
♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
Guys, those starters are SO badass! You've done a great job spriting.

Pireel is still the one I'd choose, especially now I know what it becomes!

Are they all just pure-typed, like the starters in G/S/C/HG/SS?

Do the lines have signature moves? If so what are they? Or is that a secret? :cer_wink:

Everything's shaping up great guys! Keep it up!

Old April 20th, 2010 (02:59 AM).
Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates

Nature: Hasty
Ah, I see Aquakip didnt include types?

Well Pireel's line attains the electric type, Kittorch's attains the steel type, and Chamelica's line becomes a Dragon type.

When it happens should become apparent once Aquakip updates the first post

Game Director of

Old April 20th, 2010 (03:29 AM).
Champion

Nature: Bold
i like the look of the game but WHAT is Pireel? is it an eel?
its a good sprite but i cant tell what it is!
Old April 20th, 2010 (04:09 AM).

Yeah, that's my fault there.

Pireel is a combination of a Piranah and an eel, hence the name Pir-eel (Py-reel) Pirashock gains the electric type, then Protruik keeps the electric type.

Kittorch is fire. Felayme is fire. Flamane is Fire/Steel.

Chamelica is Grass. Salavern is Grass. Leafegon is Grass/Dragon.

And thanks! I've went through countless stages of the starters and I'm finally satisfied with how they came out. :D

Old April 20th, 2010 (09:27 AM).

Quote originally posted by aquakip:
Yeah, that's my fault there.

Pireel is a combination of a Piranah and an eel, hence the name Pir-eel (Py-reel) Pirashock gains the electric type, then Protruik keeps the electric type.

Kittorch is fire. Felayme is fire. Flamane is Fire/Steel.

Chamelica is Grass. Salavern is Grass. Leafegon is Grass/Dragon.

And thanks! I've went through countless stages of the starters and I'm finally satisfied with how they came out. :D
I Like the hole thing it look's great
Old April 20th, 2010 (01:05 PM).

Hey aqua you missed that Felayme is actually Fire/Steel as well.

Game Director of

Old April 22nd, 2010 (05:08 PM).
Champion

what is the evolution for the bug/fighting type?
Old April 28th, 2010 (12:31 PM).

Actually, the Bug type we showed you was only a single bug type, which evolves into a bug/fighting type who's design is still under construction.

Hope that helped.

Game Director of

Old April 30th, 2010 (11:35 PM).
Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o

One word: Awesome. I'm looking forwards to this, and if you need any fakemon sprites: I'm the person to come to. I have fakemon sprites as well as their back sprites!
Old May 2nd, 2010 (02:43 PM).

Quote originally posted by darkpokeball:
One word: Awesome. I'm looking forwards to this, and if you need any fakemon sprites: I'm the person to come to. I have fakemon sprites as well as their back sprites!
Thanks for taking a liking in our game! We're in a but of a lull now, but we should get back into working soon. :D

Game Director of

Old May 11th, 2010 (06:13 PM).
Champion

i love all the fakemon-there very unique but they still seem like pokemon-good work, keep it up
Old May 30th, 2010 (03:46 PM).
Moogle King

Nature: Jolly
This game is astounding just buy looking at the game it makes me want to marry it the graphics are amazing, sprites just.. just OMG i don't know what to say about them. When it comes I am purposely going to download it three times so i can get each starter.
Old May 31st, 2010 (05:01 PM).

Wow, I love that you guys all find this game so interesting; we should probably deliver you guys updates more often.

So I'll be having us do weekend+monday updates. And here's how it works:

On SATURDAYS, we'll be doing a Pokémon Sprite Update. This will be conducted by Aquakip, our leading artist and graphic designer. He's also the creator of this thread. Saturdays, he'll either post a new pokemon sprite or an evolutionary line of them, depending on what he finishes for that Saturday.

On SUNDAYS, we'll have a Plot Update. This shall be conducted by our head Plot creator, Bards Sword. He'll give you a piece of the Helio Version game, or even backstory in the game. He may or may not go in chronological order, but that is all up to him.

Finally, on MONDAYS, we'll be doing a Character Update. I'll be doing this update, and in it I'll give you info on one character of the game, and tell you almost anything about the character prior to, and in some cases during and after the game's timespan. I may or may not post a sprite of the character; its all dependent on what resources I have to work with.

So, because today is Monday, and because we havent updated in a while, I'll kick things off with a character update of the main character of the game, Helios. [For the record, in-game his name is edittable]

---
CHARACTER UPDATE: HELIOS

Birthday: July 10
Hometown: Oriole Town

Helios was born and raised in Oriole Town, and didnt really travel much because his father was away for business most of the time and his mother was a stay-at-home mom. Helios, from a young age, was very bright, and always got top marks in his class. One of his closest friends [and next door neighbor], Selene, had been very bright as well. And as the two grew older and entered middle school and eventually high school, Helios began to get more distracted by Selene, and began to desire her. Selene, however, took no interest and instead decided to compete with Helios in everything, and eventually beat out Helios in grades and became the valedictorian, leaving Helios in second place.

Of course, being second in his class of 150 was something as well. Helios obtained a full scholarship to Mokep University farther inland. Selene, who also got a scholarship, decided against education and instead went out to pursue a job in professional pokemon training. Helios decided that he wanted to beat Selene at something, so he decided to ditch his scholarship as well and obtain a starter pokemon and begin training pokemon as well.

In the meantime, Helios' best friend Aaron struggles to get Helios to stop 'throwing his life away' training pokemon when he could really make something of his life, and becomes a pseudo-rival of Helios himself.

And so the game begins....

Game Director of

Old May 31st, 2010 (07:29 PM).
Pokemon Master.

Those Fakemons...reminds me of someone on the other Forum.

And he says
"Shoot! Why in the world you could beat ME?!!"

Old June 1st, 2010 (07:02 AM).
Master of Palettes
Crystal Tier

So plot and character updates are nice, and I like things like the character bios, but when are we actually going to see new screens? There haven't been any for 70 day, which I think is pretty unacceptable.

Demo Beta out Now!

Old June 1st, 2010 (09:08 AM).
La Resistance!

Nature: Rash
I assure you, we are working on screen as we speak. We are right now pooling all our work into the demo, which includes the first two towns (The starting island) and we've given out all the map screens we have of those so far. Aquakip had once been our programmer, but personal issues caused him to give it up and just stick to mapping and spriting, which set us back a bit. Starrmyt is our current programmer now, and is working on the project as we speak. We hope to have battle screens up very soon.

Sorry for all the delays, and I assure you we are still going strong!

KYLE: If you don't show Muhammad, then you've made a distinction what is okay to poke fun at, and what isn't. Either it's all okay, or none of it is.

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains.

MACBETH: I will not yield
To kiss the ground before young Malcom's feet
And to be baited with the rabble's curse
Though Birnam Wood be come to Dunsinane
And thou opposed, being of no woman born
Yet I will try the last. Before my body
I throw my warlike shield. Lay on, Macduff
And damned be he that first cries, "Hold, enough!"

Old June 5th, 2010 (10:17 AM).

As they said, I'll be posting a sprite, or a evolution line on Saturdays. And, well, today is Saturday where I am, so that means sprites!

Name: Avey

Name: Aerivore

That's the evolution line for today! The region's first set of birds.

Old June 5th, 2010 (10:50 AM).
♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
Oh I love it! I'm guessing this region, like Hoenn, is subtropical mostly judging by the Pirhannas and tigers and parrots. I think the sprite is very sleek and I love the colours also.

Can't wait until next Saturday.

Old June 5th, 2010 (06:06 PM).
Champion

some questions, suggestions, and other things

-Is this the Aaron from the Sinnoh ELite 4 in a cameo?
-I think Aerivore should evolve 1 more time into either an ostrich, emu, or road runner, if you want the region to have more diverse and tropical species (idk maybe Aerimu?)
-Most starter kids are 10-15
-Helios-Very Bright, i get it, haha
Old June 5th, 2010 (08:16 PM).

It's not that Aaron. I told Starrmyt that it may confuse people with that name. We're thinking of a new name now. This is the character's rival, just like Gary, Silver, Wally, and Barry. Maybe something that ends with a Y?

Aerivore isn't going to evolve anymore. It's an Oriole, so if it does, it won't be the same. There is another bird pokemon in Emort, which I hope satisfies your want of another bird.

Actually, in Black and White, the hero is much older, I think 17? We are taking a new approach to Pokemon with Emort by actually giving it a decent plot and storyline. And by not making Helios 17, that would throw off the whole plot.

Old June 6th, 2010 (05:54 AM).

I'm glad AceDragonite got the Helios pun. Nice catch.

And otherwise, Aquakip has it right. Though I dont think we're going to change the name Aaron.

If we do, though, it will come with next monday's character update.

Expect Bards Sword's plot update today :D

Game Director of

Old June 6th, 2010 (06:55 AM).
La Resistance!

Nature: Rash
Alright, before I start the plot post, I'm going to give the origin of the character Aaron. Back in the early stages of the plot, his character didn't exist yet. Back then, I was thinking about a character in Oriole Town (the first town) to function as a friend for the first 10 minutes, relaying information, and then staying at home, kind of like an expanded version of Gary's sister in R/B/Y. Maybe he'd give you the town map, I didn't know. At the time, I was looking for a place name to give to him (like Gary's sister is Daisy). For some unknown reason, I thought of the biblical Aaron, who is constantly described as a "friend of all". "Friend," said I, "that makes sense." So his name became Aaron. Later, when we gave him a larger role as a rival, that name remained the same.

Now, the moment you've been waiting for....

THE PLOT UPDATE

So here's a shot plot summary of the beginning of the game.

Before the start of the game, you just graduated high school. You had the second highest scores in your class, while your crush, Selene, had the highest. Although you have a crush on Selene, she considers you her rival at everything and never returns you affection. The day after graduation, you hear Selene is planning to leave town. You go to her room to tell her goodbye, when you see her talking with a mysterious man on her bed. She freaks out at you for invading her privacy, and reveals that she is becoming a pokemon trainer. She and her friend exit the room hastily.

Shocked by the appearance of another man, and not wanting to lose Selene, you hasten over to the pokemon lab run by Professor Palm to receive a pokemon and enter the hard life of a pokemon trainer, even though you have a scholarship to some of the best Universities. Your friend Aaron is shocked and vows to stop you, claiming you're doing this out of foolishness and a childhood crush. When you go to the lab, Selene is already there. Palm shows the two of you four pokemon, the starters and a Koffing. Selene grabs the Koffing and runs, and you take a starter. Outside the lab, the mysterious man is talking with Selene again. Afraid of being overheard, and egged on by the mysterious man, Selene starts a fight. After the fight end in a loss for Selene, the man quickly leaves. Before Selene can chase after him, Palm comes out of the lab and presents both you and Selene with a pokedex and pokeballs. Selene quickly runs off looking for the man, you run off looking for Selene, and your friend Aaron goes quietly over to Professor Palm to have a little chat...

That's the first installment in the summary of our game. We welcome all questions and comments!

KYLE: If you don't show Muhammad, then you've made a distinction what is okay to poke fun at, and what isn't. Either it's all okay, or none of it is.

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains.

MACBETH: I will not yield
To kiss the ground before young Malcom's feet
And to be baited with the rabble's curse
Though Birnam Wood be come to Dunsinane
And thou opposed, being of no woman born
Yet I will try the last. Before my body
I throw my warlike shield. Lay on, Macduff
And damned be he that first cries, "Hold, enough!"

Old June 6th, 2010 (05:32 PM).
Champion

Quote originally posted by aquakip:
It's not that Aaron. I told Starrmyt that it may confuse people with that name. We're thinking of a new name now. This is the character's rival, just like Gary, Silver, Wally, and Barry. Maybe something that ends with a Y?

Aerivore isn't going to evolve anymore. It's an Oriole, so if it does, it won't be the same. There is another bird pokemon in Emort, which I hope satisfies your want of another bird.

Actually, in Black and White, the hero is much older, I think 17? We are taking a new approach to Pokemon with Emort by actually giving it a decent plot and storyline. And by not making Helios 17, that would throw off the whole plot.
Thanks for clarifying and i can't wait to play the game. I'm one of those people who like stage 3 pokemon better than stage 2's, so it dissapoints me when i see a pokemon i want that only evolves once. Anyway, are you, starrymt, and Bards Sword all on the same boat with this, the updates seem a bit different. Well, I'm sure you will work it out, keep up the good work!
Old June 7th, 2010 (11:24 AM). Edited June 7th, 2010 by Starrmyt.

Quote originally posted by AceDragonite:
Anyway, are you, starrymt, and Bards Sword all on the same boat with this, the updates seem a bit different. Well, I'm sure you will work it out, keep up the good work!
Allow me to answer that before I do my next character update. Yes, we're all on the same page, though some things not all three of us know, anything thats new does have to pass through me to become game canon. So far what I see is very straightforward, and we havent contradicted each other...yet. That'll come in later once we get into the real meat of the plot.

so...its now time for the second weekly Character Update Monday!!!

Today's character is Selene.

Selene is a semi-rival in the game, and serves mostly as a purpose for why you, Helios, are going on this Pokemon journey. Selene grew up in Oriole Town along side Helios, and the two were very close friends up until high school, when they started to become rivals. Selene found that she was quite intelligent and decided to surpass Helios, aiming to be very bright. Her name is incidentally the name of the Greek moon goddess, known for brightness.

When Selene ultimately beats out Helios for the Valedictorian position, she begins to think about college life, as she had recieved a full fledged scholarship to Mokep University. Selene recieved a letter from a Julian R., asking Selene for some help in a large scale environmental project he was working on. Selene was never the type to sit around, she enjoyed working on projects, so she obliged. Julian was to send an 'admissions officer' to bring Selene into this project.

When John Smith, a recruiter from this organization showed up, Selene quickly fell in love with him and immediately had a bigger wish to join his group. One week later, Smith sent a letter to Selene telling her that that the first step she could do to enter was to obtain a starter Pokémon from the local Professor. Selene obliged, but the meeting was cut short by the interruption of Helios, who now believes that Selene is out to become a Pokemon trainer. Smith flees. Selene, now angry at Helios, travels to the lab to attain the Pokemon she was instructed to get.

....and thus the game begins.
-----------------

Alright, so I've been hearing that we're neglecting to post screenshots, and that's my fault, so I'll post a few now to quench your thirst for them. These include Professor Palm, Helios, Selene, and the Pokemon Ottum.

EDIT: On second thought, let me save a screen update for Friday. Give ya something to look forward to.

Game Director of

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links