Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Which starter would you pick?
Chamelica - Grass Starter 110 26.51%
Kittorch - Fire Starter 199 47.95%
Pireel - Water Starter 106 25.54%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 26th, 2010 (09:56 AM). Edited June 26th, 2010 by mr. ck.
mr. ck
कुछ मीठा हो जाये

Can't say much about the story, it's just a teaser...

But I'm truly in LOVE (for emphasis) with your Fakemons ans sprites

EDIT: PC games can work with different input devices, which makes PC one of the best target machines for games.
One can safely assume that everyone will have a mouse and a keyboard, and mouse being a pointer device suits a game better than a keyboard. If it's not a an old text based game, then almost everyone expects the mouse to be one of the input devices.
Nonetheless, fan game developers try to imitate the actual games, hence why dual screens are liked.
And MANY people, including me, have tablet PCs, which actually make touch input, touch.
Old June 26th, 2010 (11:12 AM).
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote originally posted by mr. ck:
EDIT: PC games can work with different input devices, which makes PC one of the best target machines for games.
One can safely assume that everyone will have a mouse and a keyboard, and mouse being a pointer device suits a game better than a keyboard. If it's not a an old text based game, then almost everyone expects the mouse to be one of the input devices.
Nonetheless, fan game developers try to imitate the actual games, hence why dual screens are liked.
And MANY people, including me, have tablet PCs, which actually make touch input, touch.
I would fully disagree with that, but doing so would be considered spam. This post is probably spam anyway. Sorry.
Old June 27th, 2010 (06:00 PM).
Starrmyt
Kittorch

Nature: Hasty
Hm...well, I've taken all of this into consideration, and considering that I'm a beginning scripter I cannot perform touch-screen styled functions quite yet. All that the bottom screen would do for now is an extra visual.

And since the public doesn't like that, I think it would be in our best interests to take out the dual screen for now and leave it as one. I may make the one screen bigger, though.

I'd also like to say that we're taking on a new tile artist, so we'll be redoing the lab to make it look like NASA didn't design it. This should also make the overall aesthetic feel of the game alot more...nice.

A shoutout to mr. ck, we're glad you love the sprites, and while that is a central portion of the game, the real thing that makes us stand out from the crowd is our story. We'd love to show you but we dont want to reveal too much. That and our plot editor [Bards Sword] is currently on vacation in Israel.

Speaking of vacation, I'll be gone for the next two weeks, so you'll be getting all of your updates in that time from Aquakip. We have a slew of new fakemon sprites and we're nearing on completing our pokedex of 107 fakemon. So that'll be fun to see, no?

Alright, I think I've said enough for one day. Feel free to post your thoughts on the whole dual screen thing. Because I'm still kind of on the fence about that.

founder of

Old June 27th, 2010 (08:05 PM).
mr. ck
कुछ मीठा हो जाये

@Starrmyt: There is only like, one person who is doesn't like the dual screen (at least from the comments in this thread)
I'd suggest you to have more people comment on this.
But it's up you anyway, if you don't think you can implement it, you don't have to

@Maruno If you would elaborate, even if it's in a PM?
Old June 29th, 2010 (03:24 AM).
Bards Sword
La Resistance!

Nature: Rash
Hi guys.

"Vacation" is putting in mildly. I'm actually doing an intense history program over here for seven weeks. Yeah, its awesome. But I DO have access to wifi. Which means I can still make updates and stuff. Which allows me to come to the question: do you guys want me to reveal more of the plot? And how much? Do you still want to be a little surprised? I'm taking advantage of Starrmyt's leave of absence here, cause I happen to know that he's also in Israel also, except he's on a touring program without access to the internet. Soooo...

How much do you want?

KYLE: If you don't show Muhammad, then you've made a distinction what is okay to poke fun at, and what isn't. Either it's all okay, or none of it is.

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains.

MACBETH: I will not yield
To kiss the ground before young Malcom's feet
And to be baited with the rabble's curse
Though Birnam Wood be come to Dunsinane
And thou opposed, being of no woman born
Yet I will try the last. Before my body
I throw my warlike shield. Lay on, Macduff
And damned be he that first cries, "Hold, enough!"

Old June 29th, 2010 (03:33 AM).
Peeky Chew
Master of Palettes

Well I really wouldn't like a dual screen system, I've explained why in other threads and I just can't be bothered to type it all out again.

Demo Beta out Now!

Old June 29th, 2010 (03:53 AM).
abnegation
the wild card

Quote originally posted by Peeky Chew:

On a side note, I don't think you should keep updating so much, it seems one person posts, a creator does, another person posts, two creators do and on and on.
Since when has that ever been a bad thing?

Quote originally posted by Peeky Chew:
Well I really wouldn't like a dual screen system, I've explained why in other threads and I just can't be bothered to type it all out again.
Do you really have to do this in every thread? Just because you don't like dual screens doesn't mean that no one else does. Your opinion on things is not higher than the respective owners or their supporters. If you "cant be bothered to type it all out again" why bother posting? This isn't "other threads" this is a completely different stage, do you think Aquakip is going to go around the forum just too see what you're talking about? I mean seriously, do you realize how arrogant you're coming across? Manipulation had to come from Emulation a few days back to call you out on this also. I don't think you've ever made a constructive post in this section, try helping games out and letting them know how to improve on things rather than giving a flat out closeted opinion that you think everyone will agree with. Stop acting like you're above everyone, it's getting old.

In any case, on topic.
Helio, to me is a lot like Garnet is in the respect that there's some awesome spriting going on but what of the storyline is shown is quite bland in comparisin. I would recommend expanding on it as, as it stands, it's just your typical pokemon adventure with another evil team which will probably go out and try capture another legendary pokemon etc. Your team's spriting ability is first rate yet as I say, a lot of what I see is aesthetic. I'd also like to see a little more of a background on the gym leaders and maybe relate them to the story some how? The fakemon aren't the best I've ever seen but they're most certainly innvative and colourful, notably the starter pokemon. Your day & night effect is nicely done, the palettes are rather nice, no ugly orange glow. I like how you've explained your professor and his outline, now if you added the same effort or near to it, with the background to your NPC's it would certainly add a lot more depth to the game. It's also nice to try and relate your NPC's to the storyline as best you can. All in all I'm impressed by the aethetics, the graphics and features but I'd like to see that bit more in the way of your text, storyline and dialogue.

I hope that's somewhat useful to you, best of luck with your project.
Old June 29th, 2010 (05:22 AM).
AceDragonite
Champion

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by Abnegation:

Do you really have to do this in every thread? Just because you don't like dual screens doesn't mean that no one else does. Your opinion on things is not higher than the respective owners or their supporters. If you "cant be bothered to type it all out again" why bother posting? This isn't "other threads" this is a completely different stage, do you think Aquakip is going to go around the forum just too see what you're talking about? I mean seriously, do you realize how arrogant you're coming across? Manipulation had to come from Emulation a few days back to call you out on this also. I don't think you've ever made a constructive post in this section, try helping games out and letting them know how to improve on things rather than giving a flat out closeted opinion that you think everyone will agree with. Stop acting like you're above everyone, it's getting old.

In any case, on topic.
Helio, to me is a lot like Garnet is in the respect that there's some awesome spriting going on but what of the storyline is shown is quite bland in comparisin. I would recommend expanding on it as, as it stands, it's just your typical pokemon adventure with another evil team which will probably go out and try capture another legendary pokemon etc. Your team's spriting ability is first rate yet as I say, a lot of what I see is aesthetic. I'd also like to see a little more of a background on the gym leaders and maybe relate them to the story some how? The fakemon aren't the best I've ever seen but they're most certainly innvative and colourful, notably the starter pokemon. Your day & night effect is nicely done, the palettes are rather nice, no ugly orange glow. I like how you've explained your professor and his outline, now if you added the same effort or near to it, with the background to your NPC's it would certainly add a lot more depth to the game. It's also nice to try and relate your NPC's to the storyline as best you can. All in all I'm impressed by the aethetics, the graphics and features but I'd like to see that bit more in the way of your text, storyline and dialogue.

I think having one of the gym leader's pokemon next to them (as an overworld) would be a cool idea, its not that big an idea, but it would give the game a more enjoyable feel.
Old June 29th, 2010 (06:46 AM).
DigimonMaster
Lurkermon

Nature: Relaxed
Firstly, I just wanted to say the game is looking good so far and I eagerly await more info. As for how much info we need on story, give us enough to draw us in but save the biggest moments for surprises. You just need a few details, something to snag people and make them go "now that I've gotta play!" Without the touchscreen/mouse functions I do think that a bottom dualscreen would be unnecessary however perhaps you could integrate a sidescreen like some of the other games in production here. And regardless I would make sure you make the screen size larger, I understand trying to keep that Gameboy feel but these games are being produced for computer, might as well take advantage of the greater screen space. Wow that's by far my biggest post yet. Don't know if it helps but that's my .02

Old June 29th, 2010 (07:09 AM). Edited June 29th, 2010 by aquakip.
aquakip
You jealous, betch

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Abnegation:

In any case, on topic.

Well, that answer's Bards' post.

Our game is actually mostly about the storyline. It's original and very in depth. It gives the characters a more realsitic persona and makes it more enjoyable for the player. He was asking if he should post more plot, and seeing as you think we dont 'have one', I'm guessing the answer would be yes.

I think it's also my fault. I haven't updated the first post with a complete synopsis of the plot. I should change that.

@ Peeky Chew I understand what you mean about the touch screen. Our programmer is just a beginner. He is going through the trial and error stage of his job, seeing what works and what doesn't. But we're thinking about switching to one screen.

@ AceDragonite I actually quite like that idea. Just, we aren't thinking of putting in the following system, and if we do, it will be much like Yellow Version where only your starter follows you.

@ DigimonMaster Yep yep. I'm going to ask Bards to type a synopsis up of the storyline, for I am not the storyline person. My job is the graphics.

Also to add onto what Starrmyt posted earlier, our tile artist is Pokemon Diamond from DA. That's one job off of my list to do! He will also be creating the music.

------

Now my turn to post some sprites:

Flujay
The Patriot Pokemon
Type: Normal/Flying
Ability: Keen Eye/Brave Heart

Amongst others, Flujay are known to be the most loyal of all Pokemon. This loyalty is also fed by the trainer's level of patriotism to their country.

Flacon
The National Pokemon
Type: Normal/Flying
Ability: Keen Eye/Brave Heart

The Country has seen fit to allow this Pokemon to be the Bird of the Country. They tend to loiter around tall buildings with patriotic flags atop them.

Flujay>>lv.21>>Flacon

I hope you like!

Co-Founder & Artist of

Old June 29th, 2010 (08:24 AM).
Bards Sword
La Resistance!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Abnegation, man, I like you. I've always been that type of person. Plot focused and all that. To tell the truth, I joined this project for the sole reason of trying to change the plot from being a stereotypical game. I like you, and I'm going to give you all a large spoiler.

Spoiler:
So as I stated earlier, the game begins with you just out of high school. You find your long time crush, who has often rejected you, hanging out with a man in his twenties, and they seem to have a relationship. She informs you that she is going to be a trainer, and desperate to impress her, you follow her. Meanwhile, your friend Aaron, who believes you just threw away your life for a girl, essentially becomes your rival, trying to stop you. After beating the first gym leader, the man and another woman appear to you and introduce themselves as Team Solar, an organization that plans to destroy the world through pollution and restart humanity on a moon colony. [I was told to make this about pollution, go with it] Of course, this is absurd, and you reject the offer. Team Solar starts a long history of tracking you down.

What is Team Solar's true purpose? That's this spoiler. A while ago, a reckless young pokemon catcher named Julian Ronald Dag0n (yes, thats a real last name, no, its not a slur) heard that the god of the ozone, Rayquaza, had gone crazy due to pollution. Thinking it would make Rayquaza easier prey, Julian attempted to capture him atop Mt. Sanguit. But Rayquaza smashed Julian's pokeballs and almost killed him. When Rayquaza was right on top of him, Julian took out a hunting knife and stabbed it into Rayquaza's belly, killing him.

Julian has long felt confused and guilty by this deicide. He believed he needed to do something to redeem himself in the eyes of Rayquaza, and that he should help save the ozone and the earth. But the more Julian came to study the subject, the more he believed the earth was doomed. So he entered the pokemon League, became champion, and used his new money to fund a moon colony, and his pulpit to spread awareness of global warming. But few listened to him. As he grew older, Julian came to believe he would die before humanity was aware of its fate. This could not do, for in order to redeem himself, Julian had to be the savior of humanity. So he started Team Solar to speed up global warming, promising criminals a chance to start over in a new world, in hopes that one day the world would see that it needed him.

There, that's a big one, and I hope Starrmyt doesn't get too upset. Ah well. Feedback is welcomed, and shalom from Israel!

KYLE: If you don't show Muhammad, then you've made a distinction what is okay to poke fun at, and what isn't. Either it's all okay, or none of it is.

Nothing beside remains.

Old June 29th, 2010 (08:42 AM). Edited June 29th, 2010 by abnegation.
abnegation
the wild card

Quote originally posted by Bards Sword:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Abnegation, man, I like you. I've always been that type of person. Plot focused and all that. To tell the truth, I joined this project for the sole reason of trying to change the plot from being a stereotypical game. I like you, and I'm going to give you all a large spoiler.

Spoiler:
So as I stated earlier, the game begins with you just out of high school. You find your long time crush, who has often rejected you, hanging out with a man in his twenties, and they seem to have a relationship. She informs you that she is going to be a trainer, and desperate to impress her, you follow her. Meanwhile, your friend Aaron, who believes you just threw away your life for a girl, essentially becomes your rival, trying to stop you. After beating the first gym leader, the man and another woman appear to you and introduce themselves as Team Solar, an organization that plans to destroy the world through pollution and restart humanity on a moon colony. [I was told to make this about pollution, go with it] Of course, this is absurd, and you reject the offer. Team Solar starts a long history of tracking you down.

What is Team Solar's true purpose? That's this spoiler. A while ago, a reckless young pokemon catcher named Julian Ronald Dag0n (yes, thats a real last name, no, its not a slur) heard that the god of the ozone, Rayquaza, had gone crazy due to pollution. Thinking it would make Rayquaza easier prey, Julian attempted to capture him atop Mt. Sanguit. But Rayquaza smashed Julian's pokeballs and almost killed him. When Rayquaza was right on top of him, Julian took out a hunting knife and stabbed it into Rayquaza's belly, killing him.

Julian has long felt confused and guilty by this deicide. He believed he needed to do something to redeem himself in the eyes of Rayquaza, and that he should help save the ozone and the earth. But the more Julian came to study the subject, the more he believed the earth was doomed. So he entered the pokemon League, became champion, and used his new money to fund a moon colony, and his pulpit to spread awareness of global warming. But few listened to him. As he grew older, Julian came to believe he would die before humanity was aware of its fate. This could not do, for in order to redeem himself, Julian had to be the savior of humanity. So he started Team Solar to speed up global warming, promising criminals a chance to start over in a new world, in hopes that one day the world would see that it needed him.

There, that's a big one, and I hope Starrmyt doesn't get too upset. Ah well. Feedback is welcomed, and shalom from Israel!
Spoiler:
If that'd be in the first post, it'd make me a very happy admirer. Well more tidied up and ready for full release that is. Not to sure on the "killing" of Rayquaza though, or killing anything in a pokemon game in general, the introduction of a knife seems a little off point. Why not say it got severely injured by a pokemon belonging to Julian, with the one pokeball that was not smashed or something along those lines?
Old June 29th, 2010 (08:51 AM).
Bards Sword
La Resistance!

I'd put that
Spoiler:
killing
in a spoiler box please, and the
Spoiler:
killing of Rayquaza is vital, because later his spirit communes with the player, and his death is the only motivating factor behind making Julian who he is. Cause lets face it, "injuring" a god would be a lot less traumatizing the killing your god.

Nothing beside remains.

Old June 29th, 2010 (09:15 AM).
abnegation
the wild card

Hmm well possibly do it in another way other than using the weapon? I mean it sounds a little farfetched imo. But other than that it's fine. Also, spoilered :]
Old June 29th, 2010 (09:31 AM).
Bards Sword
La Resistance!

Thanks. And, to be quite honest
Spoiler:
The soft spot under Rayquaza's belly was taken from J.R.R Tolkien's The Hobbit. I do have a soft spot for that book (no pun intended). In the book, Smog is killed with an arrow, but that seemed even more far-fetched then a knife. I mean, I could use a gun, but I like the symbolism in the bloody dagger (which Julian always carries around and never washed, so the blood stains are still visible). I dunno, for some unknown reason, its easier picturing someone using a dagger in the pokemon world then a gun.
But thanks, thats a very valid point. I'll think it over.

Nothing beside remains.

Old June 29th, 2010 (10:45 AM).
The Who?
What is THIS doing in my hat?!

I haz question, helios is the greek god of sun, and selene is the greek god of moon, so are you reffering to theM?

OWNT.
Old June 29th, 2010 (10:54 AM).
Zephyr+
Oripoke
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I like the sprites. :3 They're getting you lots of positive comments, I see. You're a very skilled spriter and someday I hope to be as good as you! Haha. xD

...But, see, thing is about the story. It's, um. I don't doubt your ability to circumvent cliches, and I think the whole Rayquaza thing is pretty cool to be honest, not to mention the PC's motivation for his journey, but. Um. That's not the story. That's backstory. Groundwork is important and all, and I know that's all you can reveal in the public thread (because you want people to play your game and be surprised and I get that), but if you think that's a story you're mistaken.

You promise us complex character interaction, but the paradox is that you can't show that in a thread preview. So what I see is, underneath some pretty cliche subversions, a game that's STILL "get your starter, beat the gyms, fight the evil team trying to harness a legendary's power." And, y'know? That doesn't set you apart at all. I wouldn't play your game for this story. I'd still play it for the colorful fakemon and pretty graphics... but then again, I might get bored.

On the dualscreen dilemma: toss it. Dualscreens are for people who forget they're developing for a PC. You're smarter than that.
Old June 29th, 2010 (06:03 PM).
AceDragonite
Champion

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by Bards Sword:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Spoiler:

that sounds a bit like zirconium's plot, my game's plot has to do with the enviroment, too. Otherwise, good. Helio is an awesome game!
Old June 29th, 2010 (08:14 PM).
Bards Sword
La Resistance!

I know, Zephyr +, it is backstory. I would like to reveal more story, but remember, I'm subordinate under Starrmyt, who wants it to be a "surprise." So what am I to do? I don't know man. I can only follow orders. I don't want to piss him off that badly. But I promise you, there is a decent plot. Let me talk with Starrmyt for a bit. Maybe I'll convince him, and then come back to you.

Nothing beside remains.

Old July 2nd, 2010 (08:12 AM).
Starrmyt
Kittorch

[on my iPod, so don't expect much from me ]

bards, consider this my permission to reveal any and everything you want. Plot is your dominion, so you may deem what is appropriate to reveal. And don't hold back ;P

I'm so sorry I cannot be more detailed, I would reply to everyone individually, but typing on this is no fun, especially when I'm paying for an hour of wifi and I'm in the final minutes. So I'll be on here and there, but for now I must go.

founder of

Old July 13th, 2010 (06:48 PM).
Llennoccm8
The Sprietenator

Nature: Gentle
May I help with spriteing?
Come to PokeChime!

Buy Pokemon White (Nintendo DS™) at Play-Asia.com>

Buy Pokemon Black (Nintendo DS™) at Play-Asia.com>
Old July 17th, 2010 (05:28 PM).
Starrmyt
Kittorch

Quote originally posted by Llennoccm8:
May I help with spriteing?
I'm sorry I took so long to respond to this:

If you had offered to be a spriter a few months ago, I would have taken you in, but we've taken a new approach and now Aquakip is our sole pokemon spriter, Jocelyn is our sole trainer spriter, and PokemonDiamond is our sole tile artist.

So I'm sorry to say that we cannot take you on as a spriter.

Speaking of sprites, we have a sprite update soon for all of you, just as soon as Aquakip returns from visiting relatives.

Thanks! :D

founder of

Old July 18th, 2010 (10:53 AM).
Bards Sword
La Resistance!

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I'm not dead, just really busy with my studies here in Israel. I know Starrmyt gave me the go ahead to post more plot info, but two things: 1. I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to write and 2. Israel is a really inspiring place artistically and has been giving me a lot of ideas for different stories as I've traveled the land. I might incorporate some of those ideas into the story of the game. In any case, I would post more now, but the campus wifi is shutting down soon. I'll post soon!

Nothing beside remains.

Old July 19th, 2010 (10:10 AM).
aquakip
You jealous, betch

Nature: Naive
I guess it's time for another sprite update.

Now my turn to post some sprites:

Moston
The Moss Pokemon
Type: Rock/Grass
Ability: Rock Head

Moston are often mistaken as normal rocks.

Mossachuset
The Algae Rock Pokemon
Type: Rock/Grass
Ability: Rock Head

These Pokemon are often seen lumbering along a pathway. They are harmless, but due to their size, are considered to be very dangerous.

Moston>>lv.30>>Mossachuset

I hope you like!

Co-Founder & Artist of

Old July 19th, 2010 (10:24 AM).
stardustdragon
Unhatched Egg

How long until you release the demo.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links