Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 10th, 2010 (05:51 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/think-big-with-gig-our-experimental.html

I, for one, am extremely excited about this, and I hope we're one community that gets selected. I'm sick of having to choose between getting screwed by ISP 1 or raped by ISP 2, and Google has enough market power to be a real competitor in this market. I'm sure Comcast/Verizon/AT&T/Time Warner/Charter are shaking in their boots; they all offer crappy service at high prices, and Google's going to be offering good service at low prices. If they do this right, they'll earn a ton of respect in my eyes.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old February 10th, 2010 (06:07 PM). Edited February 10th, 2010 by Cassino.
Cassino
The Old Gang

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by twocows:
they all offer crappy service at high prices, and Google's going to be offering good service at low prices.
Surely this network they intend to operate is more expensive to install and/or run and therefore cannot be offered at lower than average prices...?

Quote:
We plan to offer service at a competitive price to at least 50,000 and potentially up to 500,000 people.
So assuming it is perfectly affordable, America's populartion is still 281,421,906.
Effectively 56,284,381 assuming an average household of 5, but it still seems not a lot of people will be able to receive Google's service. Not saying I doubt their capacity to expand, mind.
Old February 10th, 2010 (06:10 PM).
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
national broadband, eh? I just hope Australia and a few other countries don't get screwed over with it. We already have it bad enough as it is already :(
Old February 10th, 2010 (06:46 PM).
twocows
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Cassino:
Surely this network they intend to operate is more expensive to install and/or run and therefore cannot be offered at lower than average prices...?

So assuming it is perfectly affordable, America's populartion is still 281,421,906.
Effectively 56,284,381 assuming an average household of 5, but it still seems not a lot of people will be able to receive Google's service. Not saying I doubt their capacity to expand, mind.
It's small initially, they're just testing reaction to it at first. Also, it doesn't have to be profitable (especially not right away); Google's business model focuses on advertising right now. They get a ton of money through advertising, and most of their other ventures are either to increase public perception of them or to gain penetration in markets that may prove profitable in the future.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old February 12th, 2010 (09:22 PM).
Midnight Beat
elit resu motsuc

Google is the Walmart of the future. Think about it, they started as a search engine and have turned into an advertising agency, an internet browser, an OS, a cell phone OS, a cell phone provider (Google voice), a cell phone manufacturer, e-mail service, and now ISP. It's incredible...

<<--Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away- Unknown-->>
Old February 13th, 2010 (04:06 AM).
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Google is the Coca Cola of the internet.

Total monopoly of internautical stuff.
Old February 13th, 2010 (07:14 AM).
twocows
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Midnight Beat:
Google is the Walmart of the future. Think about it, they started as a search engine and have turned into an advertising agency, an internet browser, an OS, a cell phone OS, a cell phone provider (Google voice), a cell phone manufacturer, e-mail service, and now ISP. It's incredible...
Quote originally posted by Ninja Caterpie:
Google is the Coca Cola of the internet.

Total monopoly of internautical stuff.
Google its hands in a lot of things, but they're decent people. Rarely do they do something that makes me as mad as the stuff many other companies do every day.

Old February 13th, 2010 (08:39 AM).
Gummy
by fire be P U R G E D
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Naughty
I swear, we're going to be seeing Google shampoo in the next five years. Not that I'm mad, Google's stuff are actually pretty nice.

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old February 13th, 2010 (09:48 AM).
Midnight Beat
elit resu motsuc

Quote originally posted by twocows:
Google its hands in a lot of things, but they're decent people. Rarely do they do something that makes me as mad as the stuff many other companies do every day.
I totally agree, I was just making the comparison to show that they have really expanded their product market.

<<--Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away- Unknown-->>
Old February 15th, 2010 (08:45 PM).
Hovo
We gotta stay together.

Nature: Sassy
Holy crap is all I have to say. If this happens and reaches a massive scale, that would be... amazing.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links