The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

View Poll Results: How's the beta's difficulty? (I plan to buff up the Route 50 wild Pokemon)
Perfect 23 42.59%
Way too hard 12 22.22%
Could be harder 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 8th, 2010 (08:48 PM). Edited May 23rd, 2010 by PeregrineFig.
PeregrineFig
Starting Pokémon Obsidian

Nature: Hardy
POKéMON: AQUA SAPPHIRE VERSION

I try to be at least somewhat modest, but I now consider myself a fairly skilled scripter. I've begun learning ASM, but as it's not my highest priority right now, I haven't learned much yet. (My only original routine just changes the player's play time, which is fairly useless) I'd love to get a music hacker, GOOD Fakemon spriter, OW spriter, and maybe a mapper to help me with this project.

STORY-TYPE STUFF
Spoiler:
There is already a timeline between FRLG and GSC, but none between FRLG and RSE, so I made my own. This takes place 4 years after the events of Sapphire, and 17 after FireRed.

After being defeated by a young child, Archie, the leader of Team Aqua, realized that awakening an ancient legendary Pokemon was not the correct method to expand the sea. Without being able to control it, the Pokemon would simply flood the entire world. Ashamed, as well as a wanted man, Archie left Hoenn. Many of his underlings left him, but the loyal few went with him, to the Balta region. Archie's goals remained overall the same, but he had learned of a new, presumably less dangerous way to accomplish them. Somewhere in Balta is a manuscript revealing the hiding place of a sacred crystal. It is said that this crystal's holder has the ability to manipulate the weather. However, it was sealed because it was decided that no one, human or Pokemon, should have such an atrocious power. Team Aqua's goal is to find the manuscript and ultimately the "Weather Crystal".

Professor Oak retired from his research ten years after the events of FireRed to the Balta region. He decided his knowledge must be passed on to the new generation, so he opened a Trainer school in Sierra City. Qualifying students are issued a pass, and after a short period of classes and a final test, a Pokemon League-certified Trainer Card.

MAP
Spoiler:

Balta is small and cluttered, and Mt. Silver connects it with the Kanto and Johto regions. In the hack you'll be able to go to the areas within the red rectangle. It's very possible that there will be more areas than those, however.

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:

First rival battle. You're expected to lose, but if you miraculously win the script continues as normal too

VIDEOS
Spoiler:

OTHER TIDBITS/FEATURES
Spoiler:
  • The game is started with the Running Shoes and National Dex. Insignificant, but meh.
  • The berry shop in the character's hometown sells every berry with a purpose, meaning no Pinap/Razz/etc, but it does sell Ganlon and the like.
  • You don't get to choose your starter, Oak gives you a Marill. However, the early routes have enough "rare" Pokemon to counter this.
  • There are no gyms. Some of the towns or areas are plagued by Team Aqua. After defeating one of Aqua's admins in their temporary hideout, the city awards you with a medal of honor, functioning as a badge.
  • Most of the Gym Leader-esque Aqua Admins are recurring. There aren't 8 different monotype admins or anything like that.
  • The Pokemon League has different (but not really) rules. Only VIPs are given the priviledge of battling the most elite trainers of Balta. One can be automatically given VIP status as a hero if they earn 8 medals of honor.
  • Headbutt Trees are here (Thanks to Darthatron, I used his script as a skeleton) Like in GSC, Pokemon will sometimes be asleep when they fall out of the tree. As well as finding a wild Pokemon, headbutt trees may drop a berry.
  • All 386 Pokemon will eventually be obtainable.
  • Some (remapped) parts of Kanto will be reachable.
  • Balta, Kanto, and Johto Battle Tower-style Pokérenas with exclusive prizes.

BUGS/GLITCHES/ETC.
  • The fence above the pond in Teal Town shows the player's reflection. -I have no idea what's causing this or how to fix it
  • Sometimes a wild pokemon in the grass will be found sleeping.

BETAS
The green link is the newest beta. There was a blunder on my part, so to avoid an annoying bug, download the bug-fix patch titled ASb2.1.zip, and apply that patch to Beta 2.0.
Beta 1.0
Beta 2.0

CURRENT PROGRESS
  • Work on Beta 2.1 has not started yet.

BANNERS

CREDITS
I've done all of the actual work myself at this point, but I'll go ahead and credit the makers of the various tools I've used so far.
  • PKSV - Score_Under
  • APE - HackMew
  • A-Trainer - HackMew
  • XSE - HackMew
  • FSF - HackMew
  • Hacked unLZ - HackMew
  • OW Editor Rebirth - HackMew
  • A-Ptch - HackMew
  • AdvanceMap 1.92 - LU-HO
  • YAPE - silver314
  • Advanced Series - Wichu
  • NTME - D-Trogh
  • Advance IntroEd - ZodiacDaGreat
  • Trader Advanced - ZodiacDaGreat
  • GBA Item Editor - thethethethe, Team Snag'Em Tools
  • VBA - VisualBoy Advance
  • Hex Workshop v6 - Breakpoint Software, Inc.
  • PokeCryGUI - Unknown
  • FireRed Hacked Engine - JPAN
  • HxD Hex Editor - Unknown
  • I also need to give Mastermind_X credit for his tutorial on his amazing jukebox system. Now I just need someone to insert music for me and I'll be all set in that department.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Beta 2.0.zip‎ (996.8 KB, 377 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: zip ASb2.1.zip‎ (19.0 KB, 265 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old March 9th, 2010 (08:22 AM).
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
You should rename Oak (EDIT: I didn't read the story before commenting)

Although you're a beginner, by the screenshots the hack looks fine to me.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old March 9th, 2010 (12:35 PM).
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nature: Modest
I agree with Miksy. This looks very good for a beginning hacker. However, you're maps could be a bit better by reducing the space. Apart from that, this looks like a good hack.

Good luck.
Old March 9th, 2010 (11:06 PM).
chrunch

Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
I agree with Pokepal and Miksy, this hack is good for a beginner.
Old March 10th, 2010 (12:52 PM).
chimchar8
Oshawott RULEZ!!! :D

Nature: Brave
You know what this hack is great!! and awesome story line too!
lots of good luck with this hack!
Old March 10th, 2010 (01:27 PM).
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Oh, wow, this is strangley similar to my idea.
(OBVIOUSLY, as I haven't actually posted a thread yet, I am in no way accusing you or suggesting anything here).
Since I've a similar (but not identical) idea, I like this the whole thing about Nintendo not having any real continuity between games other than RBY and GSC (and their remakes, obviously) irks me somewhat.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old March 10th, 2010 (03:23 PM).
Hedgehogger
Learning ASM, but struggling

Nature: Quiet
That's one of the best stories I've seen for a beginner hack. I hope this progresses well, and I might be able to help you a bit if you need anything.

Pokeymenz Am-nee-shaaah Beta 4 Released!
Old March 10th, 2010 (03:49 PM). Edited March 14th, 2010 by PeregrineFig.
PeregrineFig

Wow, it's great that I've been given nothing but positive feedback so far. This is really keeping up my motivation to keep working through the mundane stuff like indoor mapping and writing scripts for generic NPCs.

If anyone's interested, a bit further down the line I'm going to need an OW spriter. I'd really like sprites of the male and female Team Aqua members, Archie, and Maxie in the FireRed style, as well as some other custom stuff. Graphics are the only thing I can't do at all.

EDIT: There's also one more thing. This computer runs on Vista, and even with the controls registered Sappy won't work. If I provided the .s files and a .ips of my hack, I'd need someone to add a loop to the files, write them into the ROM, then make a new .ips and send it back to me. I also don't need this done right this moment either.

Old March 10th, 2010 (03:55 PM).
Hedgehogger
Learning ASM, but struggling

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFig View Post
Wow, it's great that I've been given nothing but positive feedback so far. This is really keeping up my motivation to keep working through the mundane stuff like indoor tiling and writing scripts for generic NPCs.

If anyone's interested, a bit further down the line I'm going to need an OW spriter. I'd really like sprites of the male and female Team Aqua members, Archie, and Maxie in the FireRed style, as well as some other custom stuff. Graphics are the only thing I can't do at all.
OW Sprites, you say? I think I could help you on that...just send me a PM.

Pokeymenz Am-nee-shaaah Beta 4 Released!
Old March 14th, 2010 (07:55 AM).
PeregrineFig

Thought I'd give a quick update for anyone who cares. Progress is going good, and a beta should be coming soon. I haven't touched the OWs yet, and I have no plans to change tiles, but I did do a palette change. I like the bright, glowing feel the new palettes give.

Old March 14th, 2010 (12:42 PM).
hamermaner
Proud member of Team Mew

Looks good so far. I think the screen shots look good. Good luck with this man! Also, I love Maril, haha, so this should be great.
One day I was thinking what I could put on my signature because it was so bare, then I asked Myself, "Why not put this as my signature?" "What do you mean by this?" Myself replied. "A conversation with Myself about what I should put on my signature." I answered. "Oh, that's a good idea." Myself replied. "I like it to," Me added in.
Old March 14th, 2010 (02:44 PM).
jerk
Beginning Trainer

the scrips look very good. i dont like the pallets though.
Old March 15th, 2010 (11:06 AM).
Pokemonhacker
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Brave
hi do you need any help as i will dedicate my self for a new hacker thats doing a lone hack as i have done 3 myself and was taught by a great freind of mine.
Old March 15th, 2010 (11:17 AM).
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Yellow flowers
i like yellow flowers

So this hack looks good

Need anyhelp?
Old March 15th, 2010 (11:20 AM).
PeregrineFig

I posted a help recruitment post for the two major jobs I need. If anyone who asked to help is good at pixel art and things of that nature, I could use a support banner. (If I have any real supporters XD)

Old March 15th, 2010 (12:42 PM). Edited March 15th, 2010 by hamermaner.
hamermaner
Proud member of Team Mew

I'm making a support banner now, I'll edit this post with the banner, hope you like it.

One day I was thinking what I could put on my signature because it was so bare, then I asked Myself, "Why not put this as my signature?" "What do you mean by this?" Myself replied. "A conversation with Myself about what I should put on my signature." I answered. "Oh, that's a good idea." Myself replied. "I like it to," Me added in.
Old March 15th, 2010 (12:55 PM).
PeregrineFig

Wow, that's a really nice banner. I'm going to put that on the first post of the thread. Thanks!

Old March 15th, 2010 (12:58 PM).
hamermaner
Proud member of Team Mew

No problem, wish they would've looked better though. If you need any help that has to do with art or something, I'm pretty good.
Old March 16th, 2010 (08:32 AM).
Darkerm
Darkness is Not always Evil

Nature: Gentle
Maping is good. I think you should post some new screenshots.
~~~~~~~~~~

I lke those yellow flower.

"My Hack"

Banner By "YAS"
Old March 16th, 2010 (01:11 PM).
PeregrineFig

Progress is going extremely well. I'm not going to bother posting screenshots of the Devon warehouse, Team Aqua's first hideout, because I'll be uploading an alpha version tomorrow (or, in a worst-case scenario, the day after) that will let you play it for yourself.

Old March 17th, 2010 (12:03 AM).
chrunch

Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Can't wait for the alpha. :3
Old March 17th, 2010 (05:42 AM).
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
This looks great imo,you can work on the maps a bit more,make the plot twist here and there to make it more interesting but the story currently reallt atrracts my interst,lol,thats what i think..

For the maps,there is too much empty spaces around,maybe add few things here and there to make it look nice except that if you are aiming to do the original games type maps,then ok..

Hope to see more updates,
Signing off,
Feeling extreme 'Ace'

Old March 17th, 2010 (07:02 AM).
Alpha_Spike
Ace Trainer

Nature: Naughty
Hey nice hack though I think I read somewhere that FR/LG/R/S/E all are set in the same time which is 3 years before G/S/C/HG/SS/D/P/Pt but I'm not too sure.

Creator of the Triple trigen monotype master challenge(PM for details if you want to know more)

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

Game: Pokemon Y
Name: Lycos
Friend code: 1306-6972-7386
Old March 17th, 2010 (01:23 PM). Edited March 17th, 2010 by PeregrineFig.
PeregrineFig

I actually have quite a few ideas for plot twists, wait until you see some of your recurring allies against Team Aqua And, the maps actually look pretty nice and full, but the screenshots rarely show these good spots because I like to screenshot scripts and things of that nature instead of just my maps. I just need to rewrite a couple scripts and finish up Walden City and I'm uploading Alpha 1.0.

Be prepared, the first aqua admin is BRUTALLY hard, you WILL need to catch and raise at least one more pokemon to win the battle.

Old March 18th, 2010 (11:37 AM).
PeregrineFig

Beta 1.0 is out now, the link is posted in the first post. I've thoroughly tested it so I don't anticipate many bugs, but please report them if you find them. Also, you can't enter the Subterranean Tunnel on Route 50, that's not a bug. The entrance area of the tunnel will probably be added next beta.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links