The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old May 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Zephyr+
Oripoke
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Weavile View Post

Medical got around to doing Magmile/Despotile.

Incidentally, I find it kind of depressing that nobody cares about this. If you do, post. If you think it sucks, tell me that so I can know to stop wasting my time.

EDIT: Also, either way, rate it. Two Three individuals does not an average of forumgoers make.
Oh wow those are great sprites. Props to MM. The fire starters, yeah?

I really like where you're going with this. Don't let the "I don't like x tile" comments discourage you; people 'round here (besides me ;D) only care about appearance, but if you keep working on it and appease them with eyecandy they'll start to love you.

Your storyline is very interesting despite involving Team Rocket (which is usually a turnoff for me); I hope you've got it planned and can pull it off well. :3

One problem I have is with the colossal size of your proposed fakedex; you're from Acanthite, aren't you? Well. I'd say not to rush the whole fakemon thing. MM's a great spriter with several preexisting lines that you could probably use if you asked her. I was in a game that folded because we were trying to complete the entire dex before starting on the maps. Don't worry too much about finishing it; just let it grow organically, starting at the beginning and adding lines as you think of them. Fakedexes are collaborations between the developer and the spriter, not the spriter doing everything the developer tells them to do.

Keep working!~
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Crazy Weavile
Manufacturing a deity

Nature: Quirky
Yeah, fire starters. Best described as "giant magma-spewing beaked reptiles with soft, fuzzy tails". (It makes sense in context; the tails build up the heat of friction for powerful fire attacks)

Wait, how'd you figure out Team Rocket is involved?

I have Aleya roughly half-mapped. Don't worry about that; considering the colossal size of the region, that means that I have an area roughly as large as Johto mapped out.

The fakedex is subject to change, but I actually have a document full of ecological niches that each line needs to fill, so I can't simply use existing lines. Already looked at those. Mind you, MM has plenty of freedom; most of the lines there can be replaced by something else as long as it does roughly the same job in its ecosystem.
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Zephyr+
Oripoke
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Weavile View Post
Yeah, fire starters. Best described as "giant magma-spewing beaked reptiles with soft, fuzzy tails". (It makes sense in context; the tails build up the heat of friction for powerful fire attacks)

Wait, how'd you figure out Team Rocket is involved?

I have Aleya roughly half-mapped. Don't worry about that; considering the colossal size of the region, that means that I have an area roughly as large as Johto mapped out.

The fakedex is subject to change, but I actually have a document full of ecological niches that each line needs to fill, so I can't simply use existing lines. Already looked at those. Mind you, MM has plenty of freedom; most of the lines there can be replaced by something else as long as it does roughly the same job in its ecosystem.
Kinda like Mareep and static, right? That's interesting. I thought that was fire actually.

...Oh, wait, I must have been confusing this with Acanthite. ^^; Lucky guess on my part I suppose, although with Pokemon fangames you can't throw a stone without hitting something featuring Team Rocket, so it's not that much of a guess. |D I trust you know how it ends? That's actually something that surprisingly few developers think about, and it ends up being a pretty big deal: Pokemon games aren't just sandboxes, there's a storyline with a beginning, middle, and end; some developers just focus on the beginning with no regard for what happens after. Strange but true.

That's pretty clever, although I'm not sure that level of attention to detail is necessary if you're thinking about it from a player's perspective. I mean, sure it would be neat to see functioning ecosystems, but the player just wants a variety of Pokemon to battle. So you don't need to be TOO choosy about which Pokemon you include as long as they're well-thought-out and keep the game balanced.
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Crazy Weavile
Manufacturing a deity

Sort of like that.

I have a functional plot mapped out, yes. With an ending and everything!

The player won't even notice the ecological balance; I'm just doing it to characterize the world. Same reason I have a document on the history of Rosvale City that won't appear ingame, beyond one passing mention of George Rosvale.

New trees. Just need to replace the water and tall grass now.

Last edited by Crazy Weavile; May 15th, 2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Crazy Weavile
Manufacturing a deity

Aleya is directly north of Johto/Kanto; this is the Sinjoh Ruins, which are through a tunnel on Route 53. Fair warning, though; while you'll be able to get here early on, anything beyond the ruins' presence will be postgame content, since rampaging around with a Dialga at the fourth Gym (actually, Palkia would handle Ferrus better, but I digress...) is a no-go.

Furthermore, even as postgame content, there's a good chance you'll only see the inside of the ruins in a post-release event. The intended function of this place is impressive, showy, and not very high-priority; there are several scheduled postgame dungeons (like the Sinjoh Ruins; it's not a one-room area in Argentite) with non-native legendaries. All of these haven't been started yet, and won't be until the main quest is complete; any that aren't done on release will simply be sealed off and reserved for DLC.

So, this? You'll see it; you probably won't be going into it until well after the game is released.
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

First of all, Fishquake, makes me laugh everytime i say it hehe... second, personally, im not too sure about the colouring of your tilesets, too saturated i think, the red is RED, the blue is BLUE, just dim it down.

Think this project is gettin quite well thought out, i think i mite keep my eye on this

the mapping is progressing well and one of the newer maps you made, (not sure which!) i think is quite impressive on how it looks, given events and such will make it look better obviously, just keep in mind, although you are flying through map making, eventing makes the game much more stressful, and maybe, in stead of updating every hour of every day, take a day or 2, to relax and refresh your head, it lets the game keep its edge, and you won't get tired and bored of the game yourself...

Other than that, good work in my opinion.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Crazy Weavile
Manufacturing a deity

Fishquake is supposed to be a silly-sounding name; it's an evolution of Whiscash. Can't out-silly Whiscash, but I can try.

I'm eventing as I install the new trees, actually. Mostly done with that, so most of the current maps are evented.

I'm not getting exhausted; if I were, I would do something about that.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM
HeavyOctillery
Locked & Loaded

Nice to see the thread's up & runnin'. (And sorry I haven't e-mailed ya in a while, Crazy - I've been somewhat distracted lately.)

I probably know the most about this game out of anyone here, heh. No, I ain't saying anything. Although the story seems slightly different than the one you gave me before - Czarsatz & the Professor are still in it, but......well, I'll stop there.

Did you do those tiles? Impressive.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by HeavyOctillery; May 24th, 2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Crazy Weavile
Manufacturing a deity

Yeah, the version you know is very very early. Several elements are completely removed, and the plot is streamlined significantly. Trimmed the fat, replaced it with more focus on the nature of Czarsatz' consciousness.

I ripped the HGSS stuff, yes.
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:04 AM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Your tiles and mapping has improved but still needs work, maps like windrock are a bit empty, try adding less houses and more trees or bushes
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Rexo
Rexo

Nature: Relaxed
Looks pretty good, only I definitely hate the grass tile. Good luck with the game, I'm looking forward to the release. See ya!

Old June 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Crazy Weavile
Manufacturing a deity

This isn't an important dungeon, plot-wise; essentially, without giving too much away, SOMETHING happens near the end of the game, scattering SOME KIND OF THINGIES across Aleya, and one of these THINGIES winds up in an abandoned department store in Dustplane City. So, you go through the 60-year-old abandoned building, reach the roof, and DO SOMETHING WITH THE THINGY. This COULD be replaced by a generic cave, or even a white wall.

However, it's a fun dungeon to play, and there are some neat puzzles on the upper stories, where the structure is more decayed.
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM
personz5

r u still workin on this game and how far is it done
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:37 AM
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by personz5 View Post
r u still workin on this game and how far is it done
Bit of a fail there deary if you didn't even notice how crayweavile just posted an update

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Nyu~♥!
Pokémon Opal Producer

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to Nyu~♥!
hrrm, to tell the truth, I think that some of the fakemon will need some work. First of all, there's a lot planned but with no art posted.. Some of them look a little novice.
However, I especially like The third rabbit and the last evolution of the fire starter. They're good. They're not the only good ones, but I like those two especially.
And also, the tileset.. very unique, I really like it..
Good luck!

Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
SkyriderStas
Trying to make a game. Help!!!

nice game. Did you use the rmxp?
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:28 AM
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Nature: Calm
Interesting game.
tilesets are nice, but im not too crazy about the fakemon... It's the problem that faces most games with fakemon; its that it doesnt match the style of the offical pokemon.

Shading, light directions, colour usage etc. It's not consistent. The Fakemon look fine... themselves. But when you place them next to an offical pokemon sprite. the quality difference is easy to see.

That said, it's some of the better fakemon ive seen.

Last edited by DarkDoom3000; July 9th, 2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Crazy Weavile
Manufacturing a deity

Haven't been doing anything that I can show off as extremely pretty, but this may interest you:

Higher difficulties pump levels into common Trainers and actually modify the team of "important" trainers, like Gym Leaders/Rival battles/etc.

How hard is Insane mode?

Terra (Rosvale Gym's Leader) has a lv21 Rhydon. Hard Mode is reasonable; Insane mode isn't. I don't intend for you to beat it as much as I intend for you to compare how far you can get before giving up.
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Difficulties are a nice idea, however just increasing levels is not a good way to go around it. All that would really do is encourage more grinding on wild Pokémon, so the player can actually defeat regular trainers and then the gym leader. This probably won't aggravate people more than it will bore them. In addition to increasing levels, changing around the movesets of Pokémon, making the trainers smarter, and increasing the frequency of trainers/wild Pokémon. And finally, changing around experience yield for Pokémon based on the difficulty.

And my thoughts on no items in "insane mode": It's kind of dumb, and a very cheap way of "adding" difficulty. Instead, decreasing the amount of findable items in the overworld, increasing the prices of items in marts, and changing around the chance of finding an item with Pickup would be a better way of increasing difficulty.
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Crazy Weavile
Manufacturing a deity

If it's that bad, I'll probably go ahead and change EVERYONE'S team for Hard/Insane, but it means fewer Trainers will have rematches.

More Trainers in Hard/Insane is an interesting idea. Changing experience yields, on the other hand, really isn't going to be any better than throwing steroids at opponents.

Hard mode actually makes healing items valuable commodities; in Insane, the idea is that you should be playing the entire game like you would the Battle Frontier. No items, no Shift mode, and the odds are heavily stacked against you.
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:34 AM
AceDragonite
Champion

Nature: Bold
dude make insane auto-nuzlocke!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Crazy Weavile
Manufacturing a deity

No, that's stupid. And it'd make competitive play on an Insane file impossible.
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

I'm with Alistar on this one.
I think the way your handling it is not really a difficulty, it's just frustrating.
Put yourself in the player's position, would you a play a pokemon game that had that insane mode?
I wouldn't. It's such a cheap developers tactic of adding "difficulty."
It's like, did you ever play an action game where the boss has an attack that turns you into a ragdoll for like 3 seconds and you just keep taking damage.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Crazy Weavile
Manufacturing a deity

If you want a harder-but-still-reasonable experience, play Hard Mode.

Insane Mode is comparable to the bonus difficulties in which one hit kills you, your enemies have double health, and the screen is filled with bullets. It's not means to be played by anyone who doesn't know what they're in for. The game gives you SEVERAL warning screens that, basically, sum up to "Holy crap you're not seriously going to play that, are you?".
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Kam the Narwhal
Beginning Trainer

It's like playing I Wanna Be the Guy on Impossible. Or Very Hard. Or Hard. Or Normal.

I still think there should be an easy mode, but... eh.

...but anyway. You were looking for art of the ravens, yes?

Any good?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links