The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:48 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by awipe1 View Post
I don't get what i'm doing wrong! I followed your tutorial PERFECTLY except I wanted 20 OWs instead of 1, so at step 7, instead of putting a 1 in the SpriteCount, I put a 20.

My problem is when I go to OverworldEditor, I can only edit the first index, once I try to go to index 1,2,3,4 ... ect, I keep getting errors! I get an error that says:
"Error 63 (Bad Record Number) in prodecure LoadSpriteStructure of frmOverworldEditor".

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong!?!
OWERE has a control on how many overworlds and frames you can have based on the original.

Use NSE classic in professional view or whatever and turn off all boundarys.

Remember to create and edit the ini file if necessary. Instructions for it are in the readme that goes with NSE.

Paired with Simba
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:39 PM
awipe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
OWERE has a control on how many overworlds and frames you can have based on the original.

Use NSE classic in professional view or whatever and turn off all boundarys.

Remember to create and edit the ini file if necessary. Instructions for it are in the readme that goes with NSE.
Hey sorry to be a bother but how exactly do I switch NSE classic into professional view?

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:46 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Hey sorry to be a bother but how exactly do I switch NSE classic into professional view?
Sorry, it's advanced mode: ctrl+m. Boundary settings are in options.

Paired with Simba
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM
awipe1

Thanks for the help but it still doesn't work! I don't know how to access the other sprites, i can only access the 151 OWs that fire red gives you

When I try to go to 152, it completely messes up and goes to a random height and width, and the image is a bunch of random colours. Is there any other way of making this work? I want to add more OWs but this game hates me. With this tutorial I can add 1, but I can't add anymore then that!

I hate this part in ROM hacking, this is what turns me away form it. If they made adding OWs and Trainer Sprites easier, I would have a much better time!

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old February 12th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Quickster
Dream or Drop?

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Thanks for the help but it still doesn't work! I don't know how to access the other sprites, i can only access the 151 OWs that fire red gives you

When I try to go to 152, it completely messes up and goes to a random height and width, and the image is a bunch of random colours. Is there any other way of making this work? I want to add more OWs but this game hates me. With this tutorial I can add 1, but I can't add anymore then that!

I hate this part in ROM hacking, this is what turns me away form it. If they made adding OWs and Trainer Sprites easier, I would have a much better time!
So you wanted 20 new sprites instead of 1. As you said, if I read correctly, you can edit the first one. Now, did you do anything besides change the 1 to a 20 in the .ini file? If so, you need to basically repeat the entire tutorial starting at step 4. Meaning, each sprite gets their own pointer, data, and frame data.

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Old February 12th, 2013, 01:08 PM
karatekid552

Quote:

Adding over worlds is extremely complicated. I still haven't gotten it to work perfectly. However, I do know that when you added to the table, that there is more data after that. You needed to have the last pointer point to the data you created in step 4. This data controls the height and width and all other properties. Then you have to point it to the location of the frames. So, return to steps 3 and 4 and look at it more closely.

Paired with Simba
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:32 PM
awipe1

@Quickster and @karatekid522
Thanks alot, I think I get it now! You guys are both awesome, It's amazing to have people like you in TPC, it's what makes this website the bomb! Espically you karatekid522, you answer every question I have, thanks alot!

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:52 AM
kmsptd162
ENFP

Nature: Jolly
I have a question, in my ROM 0x1A2000 is not like yours, it doesnt have all those 00000, not even the B0 FD 39 08 B0 FF 39 08 B0 FE 39 08 code is there anywhere, why does that happen?
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:17 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsptd162 View Post
I have a question, in my ROM 0x1A2000 is not like yours, it doesnt have all those 00000, not even the B0 FD 39 08 B0 FF 39 08 B0 FE 39 08 code is there anywhere, why does that happen?
If you applied JPAN's engine in patch form, like you were supposed to, then this is guaranteed not to be the case.

If you do not want to use JAPN's engine, or you are on RSE, you can try Darthatron's and my tutorial here. This is not as effective as JPAN's engine, as it only allows you to max out the OWs at 256 instead of ~65,000 but it is another option.

Paired with Simba
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:46 AM
kmsptd162
ENFP

Thanks, problem solved ^-^. I'll give it a look on the tutorials, im also interested on adding OWs in emerald
Old July 16th, 2013, 02:59 AM
kmsptd162
ENFP

Umm, I have another problem, I succesfully inserted the same OW and did the same procedure as the tutorial (I edited as well and it was all fine) but after that when I opened my ROM an A-Map all the maps and tilesets where messed up, how can i fix this?
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:58 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Umm, I have another problem, I succesfully inserted the same OW and did the same procedure as the tutorial (I edited as well and it was all fine) but after that when I opened my ROM an A-Map all the maps and tilesets where messed up, how can i fix this?
Go to a back-up. If your tilesets are screwed up, that means you corrupted something. I hope you only applied the patch to a clean rom.

Paired with Simba
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:36 AM
kmsptd162
ENFP

The tlilest gets corrupted right when I insert the offset for the new OW ( FFFF001102110002100020001001000010373A089C373A0870343A08A0003A08FC1C2308 in this case), I downloaded the ROM from the net, how do I make sure I have a clean Rom, the obvius way or is it something else?
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:47 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
The tlilest gets corrupted right when I insert the offset for the new OW ( FFFF001102110002100020001001000010373A089C373A0870343A08A0003A08FC1C2308 in this case), I downloaded the ROM from the net, how do I make sure I have a clean Rom, the obvius way or is it something else?
The obvious would be that is a firered v1.0. That is a clean rom. Now, nothing should get corrupted when you insert that data as long as you put it in free space, as in where there are FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Paired with Simba
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:22 AM
kmsptd162
ENFP

No progress,I did the same on two ROMs that were V.1 but I had the same results, I did put the data right over the FFFFFFFFFFs but still...
Old December 4th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Focus23

I've successfully added several new OW sprites and I've been able to change the palette of each sprite by editing the 3rd byte of each offset on the new table starting at offset 910000. However, in game, when my hero enters the screen of any of these sprites, the palette of the hero is replaced by the palette of the OW sprite. When I warp, open up the bag, etc. the palette of the hero reverts back to it's correct palette. It occurs in the palette viewer of VBA as well. The first palette is replaced whenever I enter the screen of the OW sprite. It only happens with sprites on the new table. Does anyone know what is causing this?
Old December 4th, 2013, 06:28 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus23 View Post
I've successfully added several new OW sprites and I've been able to change the palette of each sprite by editing the 3rd byte of each offset on the new table starting at offset 910000. However, in game, when my hero enters the screen of any of these sprites, the palette of the hero is replaced by the palette of the OW sprite. When I warp, open up the bag, etc. the palette of the hero reverts back to it's correct palette. It occurs in the palette viewer of VBA as well. The first palette is replaced whenever I enter the screen of the OW sprite. It only happens with sprites on the new table. Does anyone know what is causing this?
There is a thread on here about the unknown ow data bytes. The issue is that one of them controls palette slot. Go find that thread, and I'm pretty sure I posted some pretty detailed info in it on this subject.

Paired with Simba
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Focus23

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
There is a thread on here about the unknown ow data bytes. The issue is that one of them controls palette slot. Go find that thread, and I'm pretty sure I posted some pretty detailed info in it on this subject.
I found the thread and you were right. It was the palette slot. Problem solved. Thanks so much.
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:29 PM
pengoy

Nature: Lonely
So hi! im kinda new here. i wanted to add more OWs. so i followed this TUT and manage to make 2 OWs which are working perfectly... but the problem is when i made a 3rd and 4th.

You see... the tiles/line i put in the 3rd sprite has some weird bug. I cant see the OWs and they make the player sprite UNDER the said tiles/line. when i move outside of that line, i can see the player sprite as if nothings wrong.

thanks in advance!

EDIT: i wish i could provide you with screenies but the forum wont let me post links. so new here. haha
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:29 AM
parth9
God is busy...May i help you

Really a useful tutorial...but there are some mistakes in writing but the screenshots removes them.....easy to follow
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Le pug
la butt doit le sniff
Community Supporter

Is there any way to implement this with Emerald? obviously we don't have the engine but man thats a lot of OWs ... lol. id pay for something like that. anyways just trying to see if its even possible to do such a thing in emerald before i start looking into it
• Check out the Ruby rombase sound list I contributed by clicking here
Old April 26th, 2014, 09:03 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le pug View Post
Is there any way to implement this with Emerald? obviously we don't have the engine but man thats a lot of OWs ... lol. id pay for something like that. anyways just trying to see if its even possible to do such a thing in emerald before i start looking into it
Not sure with overworlds, I know all JPAN did for his palette table is repoint and expand it, I'm guessing that the pointer to the table of pointers (the table that points to the 255 tables of 255 sprites) was already implemented? not sure.

Edit: Sorry, he edited the routines for a filler byte. However download his hack and read the source code! I assume it could be portable.

Last edited by kearnseyboy6; April 26th, 2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: um
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:20 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Not sure with overworlds, I know all JPAN did for his palette table is repoint and expand it, I'm guessing that the pointer to the table of pointers (the table that points to the 255 tables of 255 sprites) was already implemented? not sure.

Edit: Sorry, he edited the routines for a filler byte. However download his hack and read the source code! I assume it could be portable.
Almost of all of FR code is portable to Emerald, so it should be able to work. JPAN hacked all of the routines to allow for 2 bytes instead of 1 when loading OW indexes, but besides that and loading from vars instead of static bytes, it is still the same code, so it wouldn't be too hard to implement into Emerald.

Paired with Simba
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:22 AM
parth9
God is busy...May i help you

Nice tutorial...easy to follow ..there are some mistakes but ya the screen shots removes it..
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links