Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Old March 29th, 2010 (04:53 PM).
Muffin™
Knows your age

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to Muffin™
Do you think toys, games, movies, ect. are getting TOO kid-friendly?

Discuss
Old March 29th, 2010 (05:06 PM).
ILoveDragonite
~~Do the wave~~

Nature: Rash
No.

Discussion over.
Old March 29th, 2010 (05:13 PM).
.Gamer
»»───knee─►
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Jolly
Yes, its ridiculous, for instance in HG/SS "OMG NUU GAMBLEENG KIDZ R GUNA GO 2 VEEGAS AND SP3ND MONEES!!!1!!" ~___~ Raise your kids you lazy parents.

Discussion NOT over.
Old March 29th, 2010 (05:27 PM).
Tree_x
Breeder

Nature: Impish
Haha :3 Depends on what your watching our playing our etc :3
Personally i do not care if it is good its good not my job to raise the worlds children to some factious moral standard there children of the Internet they i have seen worse
Old March 29th, 2010 (05:30 PM).
zhfac
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Well, I know that some people let T.V baby sit their kids, but I'm kinda on the fence on this question; aren't toy's and kid's shows meant to kiddy?
Old March 29th, 2010 (05:32 PM).
Throat
Oldschool pokemon

Nature: Bold
There're toys, movies and games exclusively for adults and there're the ones for kids, surely.
Old March 30th, 2010 (01:41 AM).
SIN1488
Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P

Nature: Modest
No, haven't you ever heard of the vibrating Harry Potter broomstick? I'm not even joking either, it was a real toy. :O
Twins Vika and Masha sent out...... What the?? PC Family ./<o>\Little Sis'/<o>\Little Brother/<o>\Lil Sis'/<o>\Uncle/<o>\Long Lost Cousin/<o>\Nephew from the future/<o>\Little Sister/<o>\Queen Aunt/<o>\Reminder: 4 words per post
Old March 30th, 2010 (03:57 AM).
sgspacemonkey
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quirky
Kids have their own stuff and so do adults. I like to think of games however, as an adult medium. The consoles/PC's and software costs a lot and it's pretty delicate. I don't think I'd be happy letting a kid mess about in my room, lol. (Actually, I forbid my cat from going in, and she acts a lot like a toddler. I can just imagine the claw marks in the shiny exterior of my PS3... eek!) Games as well are sort of a way to allow adults to continue to enjoy playing after feeling forced to abandon their childish toys. Anyway, there are equivalents in both movies and games, but I reckon more adult titles do exist in these genres. Toys on the other-hand, is a word I associate with things like Barbie and My Little Pony. >>
Old March 30th, 2010 (04:08 AM).
Sneeze
Trainer

Remember the good old days when games used to come under the toys section of the Argos catalogue, eh? How times have changed.

"A clever person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it" ~ Albert Einstein

95% of people on the internet have a statistic in their signature, if you're one of the 5% than don't place this in your signa-- Wait... Damn...
Old March 30th, 2010 (04:10 AM).
sgspacemonkey
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by Sneeze:
Remember the good old days when games used to come under the toys section of the Argos catalogue, eh? How times have changed.
Heh, yeah, I use to buy them from Toyz R Us.
Old March 30th, 2010 (05:57 AM).
Heart's Soul
Hey, look, I was gone.

Heh, stuff is now evil because of parents getting rid of good. They love to make innuendo.
Old March 30th, 2010 (08:58 AM).
Jolene
Your huckleberry friend

No. I think that the opposite is happening. Pop songs are now full of sexual references. TV shows are also full of sexual references. Videogames are violent and depressing.

What light through yonder window breaks?
It is the East, and Joliet is the sun!
Old March 30th, 2010 (09:07 AM).
Heart's Soul
Hey, look, I was gone.

Yes, but we're meaning non-prime time basic television and E-rated video games. But, I agree, we have too many M-rated games now.
Old March 30th, 2010 (09:09 AM).
Prince_of_Light
wins.

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Prince_of_Light Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Prince_of_Light Send a message via Yahoo to Prince_of_Light
Quote originally posted by Jolene:
No. I think that the opposite is happening. Pop songs are now full of sexual references. TV shows are also full of sexual references. Videogames are violent and depressing.
I question your choice of media if you put all this stuff in a blanket statement like that. =/
Old March 30th, 2010 (09:53 AM).
zhfac
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by SIN1488:
No, haven't you ever heard of the vibrating Harry Potter broomstick? I'm not even joking either, it was a real toy. :O
Uh, what the heck..? Oh how that "industry" never ceases to amaze me.
Old March 30th, 2010 (10:53 AM).
Muffin™
Knows your age

I made this because I got a nostogic blast of candy ciggerettes... [They changed it to "Candy sticks." WHAT. A. FAIL.]
Old March 30th, 2010 (12:37 PM).
PokemonLeagueChamp
Traveling Hoenn once more.

Nature: Adamant
MW2 is beast. Don't be hatin on them M-rated games.

An obvious example would be the Pokemon anime(used to be awesome, now it sucks poké-balls)and HGSS(all that bs with real game corners being replaced with that annoying-ass Voltorb flip game.
But then again, kids may be getting exposed to more crap earlier. I once had to babysit a kid who was like 7. I was trying to tell him to stop chugging soda(mainly because it was mine), and he said "f*** you" and punched me in the, um, area.
Clearly, stuff intended for children is getting more and moar shielded, but kids are getting more violent and profane, as well as doing stuff that teenagers do(ex: sex, drugs, drinking, gun using). It's all just ****ed up.
Old March 30th, 2010 (12:53 PM).
Objection!
Beginning Trainer

Yes. You know what I think? Companies make their shows, games, ect. several times kiddier than they were years ago, perhaps to make up for all the bad things. Kids that are intended to watch these shows get bored, fast, and turn to what older people are watching, especially when they have older siblings.

Older people watch more mature shows, and thus the wet clay (children) is molded. Sometimes it can be undone, but other times the clay hardens.

Quote originally posted by pokemonleaguechamp:
MW2 is beast. Don't be hatin on them M-rated games.I once had to babysit a kid who was like 7. I was trying to tell him to stop chugging soda(mainly because it was mine), and he said "f*** you" and punched me in the, um, area.
Yeah... I used to babysit a kid six years younger than me, and he always liked to get on my nerves. He knew that the only way to hurt me was to hit me there, and he was about waist-level. My reflexes are pretty admirable now.

Feraligatr, Noctowl, Ninetales, Raichu, Dragonite, and Tyrantitar.
Old March 30th, 2010 (01:20 PM).
Muffin™
Knows your age

Nickelodeon is now what I call "Teendramalodian."
Old March 30th, 2010 (01:27 PM).
Jolene
Your huckleberry friend

Quote originally posted by Objection!:
Yes. You know what I think? Companies make their shows, games, ect. several times kiddier than they were years ago, perhaps to make up for all the bad things. Kids that are intended to watch these shows get bored, fast, and turn to what older people are watching, especially when they have older siblings.
You seem to be suggesting that "kid-friendly" is synonymous with "bad". Which isn't true at all.

I'm willing to bet that most normal adults would rather watch something kid-friendly like Star Wars than some deep psychological drama.

What light through yonder window breaks?
It is the East, and Joliet is the sun!
Old March 30th, 2010 (03:02 PM).
.little monster
Donator Tier 4

^ That.

Quote originally posted by .Gamer:
Yes, its ridiculous, for instance in HG/SS "OMG NUU GAMBLEENG KIDZ R GUNA GO 2 VEEGAS AND SP3ND MONEES!!!1!!" ~___~ Raise your kids you lazy parents.

Discussion NOT over.
Way to not even know why they don't have it. Most countries where they sell the game have made gambling illegal. And the law extends to gambling in games. Thus, it would be cheaper to remove it all together.

I don't think things are getting too kid-friendly, I think we are all just growing up.

Hello, hello baby you called but I can't hear a thing.

Old March 30th, 2010 (04:21 PM).
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

I actually think more video games are becoming more violent with the advancement of technology, due to them doing it just cause they have the opportunity to do so.
Just look at the top 10 games on the Xbox 360, and look at the top 10 SNES games and tell me what you see.
As for movies, I definitely think so. Most movies back then usually had nudity; it was actually much more common since people saw it as a normal thing rather than something to be shocked by.
Toys? I don't even understand. Toys are meant to be childish in the first place, so I don't know how they can get more childish.

But, not that it matters in the first place. I find childish themes to be much more enjoyable than mature themes; I don't care about social segregation, the disturbing impact of war, and political corruption as much as catching them all.
Old March 30th, 2010 (06:39 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Jolene:
You seem to be suggesting that "kid-friendly" is synonymous with "bad". Which isn't true at all.

I'm willing to bet that most normal adults would rather watch something kid-friendly like Star Wars than some deep psychological drama.
That misrepresents a number of things. People don't like Star Wars because it's kid friendly (which, in itself, is arguable; there's a lot of violence in that movie). People like it because it tells a great story and has great characters. Likewise, if said psychological drama manages to be entertaining, many people will like it. And I'm sure you could find many adults that dislike Star Wars and would rather watch something else; I find the implication that these adults are "abnormal" rather offensive (I'm not one, though; I love Star Wars).

That's not to say kid-friendly is synonymous with bad, though; nobody said or implied that. The problem is when developers are too afraid to touch sensitive themes out of fear of some sort of backlash. A classic example of this is sex; you'll find all sorts of TV shows with people shooting, bleeding, and even dying, but you'll never see sex or even nudity on TV. I dare you to try to find a commercial that mentions the word "penis;" none of them do, not even the ones selling products FOR that organ. In Pokemon, the example is "Gamblers;" they changed them to "Gamers" to avoid a potential backlash from people that might think "gambling" is an inappropriate theme for children.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old March 30th, 2010 (07:46 PM).
Mattysaurus
Take it slow, braaah
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mattysaurus
I live in Vegas and I don't have the urge to go gamble. I mean, blah. I'd much rather spend it on a.. show or something. Something to go and hang out with my friends. But that's just me. I don't know how the other kids here are and I don't know how the kids where you guys live are.

With enemies like that, who needs friends?
Old March 30th, 2010 (09:12 PM).
Åzurε
Shi-shi-shi-shaw!

It seems lots of people have messed up priorities, and that may be part of the dissonance.

You know, a kid may shout "f*** you", flip you the bird and kick you in the balls, but more often than not it's because he wants his fire truck back. It's just repeating what he's exposed to. I don't think it's toys that are the issue- kids are supposed to be naive to a point- it's them getting exposed to the stuff that isn't really meant for them, but they have access to it anyway.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links