Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games
Reload this Page Pokemon Kanto 3D

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old August 8th, 2010 (02:17 PM). Edited August 17th, 2010 by rockeymon.
Real life Silver Shirubaa

Nature: Serious
Pokemon Kanto 3D

Table of Contents
a. Game Info
b. Plot
c. Features
d. Other
e. Screenshots
f. Team
g. Thanks/If I used your stuff.

Game Info
This game will be made in SKETCHUP7 and BLENDER.
This Game will use BLENDER GAME ENGINE for its engine.
This game will be scripted in PYTHON(if it needs any major scripting)

Plot
Well because of the type of game this is there really isn't a plot besides to see the kanto world in 3D. You will get to play as a male character(more than likely) and there will probably be a seperate game for female trainer. You will get to visit everything that was in the POKEMON FIRERED game.

Features
~No Catchable pokemon(sorry this is just a see the world in 3D you may get to see a few pokemon but that is it )
~Entire 3D world
~A few pokemon you can see in 3D
~Possibly getting to talk with other people(please don't hound me about this one I can't script so I will have to get someone else to do this if it happens at all)
~And hopefully semi quick development

Other
Well I am hoping to get a demo out as soon as I can but it all depends on how fast development goes. If you would like in anyway ie. making the imaging that goes on the tiles and such.
~I need someone to eventualy PM me about making a script that you click on a door or touch the door and you get a popup asking you if you want to go into the building please and thank you.
~I also need someone to show me how to make a talking script for someone where if you click on them they will say something to you please and thank you.

Screenshots
Warning these are semi big
Spoiler:
This is what I have done with pallet town as you can see in another shot I am still making the tiles.

The trainers house in the making

The current complete Tileset

Team
Rockeymon@ Complete design for the game.
Ryan Hekk@ Game Scripter.

Thanks/If I used your stuff
Thanks to Nintendo for inspiring me to make this and a thanks to google/blender for making the programs I am making this in.
Old August 8th, 2010 (11:16 PM).
Happy New Year!

Nature: Relaxed
Looks like a good idea :D
Are battles gonna be 3D too?

You are gonna have battles, right?
Old August 8th, 2010 (11:25 PM).
Kicking against the earth!
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Im learning sketchup7, i would like to help! lol.
also theres tiles in the warehouse, but thats kinda cheating
this sounds cool, i alway thought kanto was a bit boring, but i think it was meant to be 3d, a lil lol. Good luck!
it looks nice so far. but what about around the aviable areas? thes just wired stuff, im suprised they let this.
Old August 9th, 2010 (05:48 AM).
Game Developer

Nature: Calm
I know a fair amount of Python if you need help.
Old August 9th, 2010 (09:16 AM).
Banned

I thought this would be really cool until I saw you just had graphics.

Graphics don't make a game, my suggestion is just make the graphics and region, don't release something where you can walk around it just seems silly.
Old August 9th, 2010 (01:56 PM).

For now the current goals of the game is to make the entire region and all available areas in Firered mapped then I will have to figure out whether I can even consider doing battles or not because I am not capable of that kind of coding but I will garuntee the capability to be able to see the region in 3D with hopefully good graphics. Be able to talk to other people.
Be able to hopefully see a few pokemon( I am planning on having it where you can see pokemon like the legends) You will have the option to swim (yay swimming ) and maybe later on in development once I get to making places like cinnabar island you will be able to choose out of a few water pokemon or pokemon capable of learning swim to use to swim there and such.
I plan on making it interactive it's just because it is 3D making the battle graphics and such can't be done in 1 week it takes time and talent.
And so you guys know, the reason I originaly started making this was to develop my skills in 3D graphic making
Old August 10th, 2010 (04:31 AM).

Sorry for double posting in advance.
Okay update.
Pallet Town is complete besides needing to be texturized.
Spoiler:

I have also decided that due to what everyone else wants there will be battles. Now before everyone goes 'yay we get a 3D game and battles' be forewarned that they will not be 3D battles at first. There will be 4 stages in the game. First is Development in the mapping and demos, Second will be Complete Mapping and first Complete release where you will be able to talk with people, 3rd will be complete mapping and 2D battle system (alot like Pokemon D/p/pl), and the fourth will be the complete release of the game where I will be completely finished and will move on to another project.
Now that I have that out I will also like to say this. Due to my low design level when it comes to detailed stuff like Humans I am currently looking for someone who either knows of a model that looks close to the Firered Male and Female Characters or someone who can make them. Please and thank you for anyone who will help with this.
For now That is all.
P.S. The sooner I have a Human model to use as the character the sooner you get videos and demos
~rockeymon
Old August 10th, 2010 (06:08 PM).
Mr. Wejo

I am a master with 3 different modeling programs (sketchup, solidworks and 3d studio max) I could give you a hand with a few more complicated models.
Old August 10th, 2010 (06:41 PM).

Oh thank you xD I will pm you with details
Old August 11th, 2010 (01:09 PM).
Pokemon: Aurum

Count me in. This is the kind of thing I like.
Old August 11th, 2010 (01:39 PM).

Thanks I am about to prep maps so I can finaly test the game
Old August 12th, 2010 (05:09 AM).
Magikarp MASTER!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to Orangturttle Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Orangturttle Send a message via Yahoo to Orangturttle
This sounds Great!!
PM When the Demo Comes out, or Whenever! I'll be a bug tester, whatever! I just want to see this work! This is a great idea!
Good luck mate!

Old August 12th, 2010 (11:01 PM).
「Rise Director」

Looks very interesting. I'll definitely try it out and see what happens
Old August 13th, 2010 (04:21 AM).

If you're struggling with the 3D characters, why not try using a 2.5D approach like the DS games, with characters using 2D sprites instead? Just an idea.

As has been said, this looks really promising, so good luck for the future :D
Old August 13th, 2010 (11:06 AM).
Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp

Nature: Quiet
i LIKE THIS APPROACH, AS IT IS VERY ORIGINAL.

tHE ONE PROBLEM i MAY FIND, IS THE BUFFER/RENDERING IN THE GAME ONCE ITS LAUNCHED.iT MAY SLOW PEOPLE'S COMPUTERS DOWN.sO YOU MIGHT WANT TO FIND A BETA TESTER NOW TO SEE IF IT WILL HAVE ANY LAGGING PROBLEMS BEFORE YOU GO DEEP IN THE DEVELOPMENT.

I am a university student, currently studying C# and looking for any practice pertaining to building my skills.I'm also a concept designer and storyline designer.

contact me here or at [email protected].

Screw Banners.I support all that is made.But Join these Forums!

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Pokemon_BN/index.php?act=idx
Old August 13th, 2010 (11:09 AM).
Feraligatr Master

Nature: Lax
I dont know much programming, but if youd like ID BE VERY HONORED TO MAKE BANNERS

My sub
Old August 13th, 2010 (12:29 PM).

Um I have someone who is going to beta test it and I am beta testing it as I go along.
Gaxel and for anyone in the feature who wants to make banners for it feel free and just post them on here and as I get time I will post them.
Niknaks I have someone who is making the 3D characters so that is not an issue I just don't have the skill level to personaly make 3D characters yet but I am making all of the buildings and nicknaks that are inside them
For now i don't really have any updates besides the scripting foundation starting to get laid down but besides that nothing major. There won't be any updates over the weekend but there will probably be one on monday until then.
~Rock. Game Development team.
Old August 13th, 2010 (02:07 PM).
Magikarp MASTER!

Send a message via AIM to Orangturttle Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Orangturttle Send a message via Yahoo to Orangturttle
Quote originally posted by rockeymon:
Um I have someone who is going to beta test it and I am beta testing it as I go along.
Gaxel and for anyone in the feature who wants to make banners for it feel free and just post them on here and as I get time I will post them.
Niknaks I have someone who is making the 3D characters so that is not an issue I just don't have the skill level to personaly make 3D characters yet but I am making all of the buildings and nicknaks that are inside them :)
For now i don't really have any updates besides the scripting foundation starting to get laid down but besides that nothing major. There won't be any updates over the weekend but there will probably be one on monday until then.
~Rock. Game Development team.
I'm anticipating!
I tried the game, aside from the lack of things to do, it's great!!
And the old lady is funny, but she kept leaving me and going in the house. But, so far this is a good Project
Are you going to make all the characters? Like the Youngster in Pallet Town?

Old August 14th, 2010 (03:14 AM).

hey this looks great. I wish to join your dev team, I have sent you a PM
Old August 14th, 2010 (12:30 PM).

Quote originally posted by Orangturttle:
I'm anticipating!
I tried the game, aside from the lack of things to do, it's great!!
And the old lady is funny, but she kept leaving me and going in the house. But, so far this is a good Project
Are you going to make all the characters? Like the Youngster in Pallet Town?
Um for one how did you 'try the game' if the game isn't even out I have no demo and have barely tested the game myself.
And to your question you will have all characters that are in the game.

Thank you all for your support and such.
~rock. game dev. team
Old August 14th, 2010 (03:43 PM).
I Love C++

Sorry if I sound pessimistic or something. I do not think your idea will not workout as expected. Here are my reasons: the project is too memory consuming, both file size and ram. Let me explain why; as far as you are "copying and pasting" models from your template to your actual game, that adds a significant amount of data to your program. By the time you map out couple cities, you might go well over 100 mbs; I am not too sure about the numbers, but they do go up exponentially. That does happen in professional games, but they minimize it by having minimum number of individual models. They do not explicitly copy the model over and over again, but reference it back to the model. Its hard to explain without going too far into programming, but you can think of it as a bracket for sporting events. The teams may appear multiple times on the bracket, but they are the same team, not copies of the said teams. Kind of confusing I know, but the names reference back to the physical team, not copy the physical teams to fit the roster. Now going to the second reason: the program will not be effiecient and will hog up memory, quite possibly lead to a memory leak. The reasoning behind that is the lack of culling; I am not aware if Blender performs culling for you, but I am assuming Blender does not do that. Culling is basically not drawing the models not in view of the camera. The addition of the process of culling the models can dramatically affect the program's performance; in the same way, the lack of culling will do the antithesis. Just food for thought; not trying to discourage you, but just pointing out the flaws of the method you are using to create the game.
Old August 14th, 2010 (04:11 PM).
Magikarp MASTER!

Um for one how did you 'try the game' if the game isn't even out I have no demo and have barely tested the game myself.
And to your question you will have all characters that are in the game.

Thank you all for your support and such.
~rock. game dev. team
Sorry, was thinking about a different 3D Kanto game I viewed early!
Sorry!
Still anticipating this because I love the idea of being able to explore one of my favorite worlds more realisticly!!

Old August 15th, 2010 (05:51 PM).

Quote originally posted by davidthefat:
Sorry if I sound pessimistic or something. I do not think your idea will not workout as expected. Here are my reasons: the project is too memory consuming, both file size and ram. Let me explain why; as far as you are "copying and pasting" models from your template to your actual game, that adds a significant amount of data to your program. By the time you map out couple cities, you might go well over 100 mbs; I am not too sure about the numbers, but they do go up exponentially. That does happen in professional games, but they minimize it by having minimum number of individual models. They do not explicitly copy the model over and over again, but reference it back to the model. Its hard to explain without going too far into programming, but you can think of it as a bracket for sporting events. The teams may appear multiple times on the bracket, but they are the same team, not copies of the said teams. Kind of confusing I know, but the names reference back to the physical team, not copy the physical teams to fit the roster. Now going to the second reason: the program will not be effiecient and will hog up memory, quite possibly lead to a memory leak. The reasoning behind that is the lack of culling; I am not aware if Blender performs culling for you, but I am assuming Blender does not do that. Culling is basically not drawing the models not in view of the camera. The addition of the process of culling the models can dramatically affect the program's performance; in the same way, the lack of culling will do the antithesis. Just food for thought; not trying to discourage you, but just pointing out the flaws of the method you are using to create the game.
Well I think it will work fine since the real data that you see when you are looking at the individual maps is the packed stuff I am not copying and pasting either I am importing each map as I make it and each model will be its own scene in blender (seeing as I have finaly found out about this function xD) which may take up some data but I am not worried once it is made there will be a warning of how big the file is and truthfully in my oppinion if you have an issue with how big the file is then open your eyes and realize that 3D is worth it.
Old August 15th, 2010 (07:04 PM).
I Love C++

Well I think it will work fine since the real data that you see when you are looking at the individual maps is the packed stuff I am not copying and pasting either I am importing each map as I make it and each model will be its own scene in blender (seeing as I have finaly found out about this function xD) which may take up some data but I am not worried once it is made there will be a warning of how big the file is and truthfully in my oppinion if you have an issue with how big the file is then open your eyes and realize that 3D is worth it.
Well it seemed like you were copying and pasting individual models onto the map files since you had a "tile set" I see no point for a tile set if you are not using the same models over and over again. Did you think about my second point? I don't use Blender for the Blender game engine, I just use it for 3d modelling, so IDK if Blender culls. If you do not care about the file size, Im not complaining, but seriously consider how effiecient it would be during runtime. Don't take this the wrong way, Im trying to help, not bashing on you or anything.
Old August 16th, 2010 (04:04 AM).

I understand what you are saying and I will look into it but the decent 3D engines out there cost money, and I don't have the money to buy one. Now I have heard that Xna is good and If I remember correctly there is a free version of it but the problem that comes with that is XNA has its one scripting language which means I lose my Scripter.
Either way I will figure something out
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links