Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion
Reload this Page DP174 - DP177 Discussion - The Grand Festival! (Japanese Spoilers!)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Episode Discussion Whether you want to speculate about the upcoming episodes or reminisce about the episodes you watched years ago, Episode Discussion is your place for discussing, speculating, and reviewing all the Pokémon anime episodes.

Old April 29th, 2010 (08:26 AM).
DonRoyale
Get on my choppa!

Nature: Adamant
So I decided it'd be best if we kept all the discussion pertaining to the event in one thread. It's easier to organize that way and doesn't clutter the boards.

-Really nice to see Nando from his birrion-episode absence.
-He has 7 badges! Getting there, aren't we?
-Silly Plusle & Minun...:V
-Zoey! =D
-Poor Dawn, can't get her hair to cooperate...
-The appeals~
-Nice of Fantina to show up, even if her entrance was over-the-top...
-As much as I loathe Eevee (and Ursula, as well), Ursula's appeal was quite ingenious and certainly would've captured my attention.
-Nando has a new Kricketot and an Altaria. Beautiful appeal~
-Zoey's Water-types evolved! Nice! Yay Gastrodon~ Her appeal was very unrealistic, however; how could she safely jump into that whirlpool? :V
-Empoleon! Kenny's Prinplup evolved!
-Uh oh...that doesn't look good.
-Jessie's second dress is...odd. I just don't like it for some reason.
-Dawn's appeal was really nice =D
-Poor Kenny...=(
-Music selection was great.

-OH GOD THE FACE, THE FAAAAAACE D:
-Ursula seems to have the upper hand, but I'm sure Dawn will pull it out. She has complete type advantage here; Mamoswine tops both of them, even if Flareon can hit back with a super-effective Fire attack.

Spoiler:
Plus, we already know from DP177's title that Dawn's gonna win anyway...

I personally want to see Nando battle. I'm sure he'll either battle Dawn or Zoey.

And I'm wondering where Jessie will be in all of this. It certainly will be an interesting event.

I don't think I've ever liked Contests this much. It must be the animation quality, lmao.

Discuss! =D
Old April 29th, 2010 (10:41 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Probably one of the best Grand Festival events yet - Sorry May. D: It leaves me itching to see what will happen with the next three episodes of the Grand Festival left to go.

Zoey, I don't know why, but I was hoping to see more from her. I'm not saying her appeal was bad, it definitely good, but as a main rival I thought the writers might have given her something to shine on. I agree though, the whole standing on whirlpool effect, kind of unrealistic. And if I may add, it seems more of "Jessie" style performance. Probably the best trait I like most about Zoey though is her character's attitude. For a rival, she shares both friendship and when it comes down to business she gives it her all. The scene where she combs Dawn's hair I thought was a standout moment for those two as both friends and rivals.

Kenny, what, why'd you have to go so early in the Grand Festival; to make it worse, he didn't even stick around, he left right after. :\ I was hoping to see more from him in the Contest and maybe see what his newly evolved Empoleon could do. Meh, maybe they're just saving Empoleon's big break for the Sinnoh League with Barry.

An evolution in the middle of appeals, on purpose? Has that ever been done before? I don't think so. Ursula gave a great show. To do something like that was pretty outstanding for an appeal and I don't think anyone would not have lost attention to that. Her battle with Dawn should be interesting though. But, yeah, we already know the outcome of that. >_>;

Nando, look at him. He's got Altaria now. I can't say that Pokémon definitely doesn't suit him. I don't know why, but I just feel like it'll be an interesting battle if it were Nando's Altaria vs. Dawn's new Togekiss. They both seem to share an elegant swiftness on stage and I think it'll put up a good show. Maybe a final battle perhaps?

Dawn's performance was surprising in my opinion. I didn't know what to expect from her, but the whole fire and ice appeal did wonders. I enjoyed her finish of it the best though with Cyndaquil letting loose of its flames and Buneary centered in a globe of ice. She could win this like some people have speculated on, if she keeps her head straight and all.

In all, great episode. I can't say it was a failure because everything went well. Still wish Kenny could have stayed a bit longer, but maybe in future we'll see him again. The music selection was great and fitting too. Being a fan of the anime contests though, I'm excited it's just finally here. ^^;
Old April 29th, 2010 (10:47 AM).
Jorah
What do I put here?
Community Supporter

I like that Kenny went out before Jessie. I would've found it annoying if Jessie went out straight away after us seeing her get all of her ribbons (in one way or another XD). And I wonder if Ursula's reason for losing the next battle (which I'm presuming she does) would be that she didn't get enough time to train with Flareon.

- Wow, I forgot about Kengo
- Fukamaru learning Dragon Pulse (or whatever he's learning) reminds me of Satoshi training Snorunt Ice Beam near the league...
- Nozomi brushing Hikari's hair is cute...only because anyone brushing someone elses hair is cute
- A Joy from Hoenn? Oh well, who cares...
- Melissa? Ooh, wasn't expecting her...oh and more Engrish XD
- Hikari's cute new outfit
- Blue, red and green XD
- Wow, making them evolve on stage was pretty cool...oh, and its read and blue XD But that means she won't have much time to train with them
- Hahaha, Kengo...although, I feel a little sorry for him. Only because he looks like a CotD and I care about him even less

- Haven't seen this Dotchi-Nyo ending before (haven't watched it in Japanese for ages XD)...like the Earth

- I like how the links down the side are linking to random history stuff XD
Old April 29th, 2010 (10:59 AM).
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
OMG loved this episode! I guess my favourite appeal would have to be Ursula's and Dawn's! (Zoey's was okay...) Kenny failed xD Nando's was a little boring and basically what jessie did in hers was just make seviper use haze then she jumped on it and made yanmega use silver wind to change her clothes xD supprisingly Fantina loved it...

I feel soooo sorry for kenny... he shouldnt have been kicked out on the first round!

Quote originally posted by Jorah:
- Fukamaru learning Dragon Pulse (or whatever he's learning) reminds me of Satoshi training Snorunt Ice Beam near the league...
OMG Maybe it will evolve into gabite and learn it?? That would be great :D And its draco meteor
Quote originally posted by DonRoyale:
Spoiler:
Plus, we already know from DP177's title that Dawn's gonna win anyway...
It just says dawn vs zoey final right...? So she might not =P!

Old April 29th, 2010 (11:16 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Quote originally posted by Mew~:
OMG Maybe it will evolve into gabite and learn it?? That would be great :D And its draco meteor ;)
Hmm, Ash with a Gabite huh? I can see that, but I'm on the edge on whether or not the writers will make it evolve. It does bring back memory on how he was teaching Snorunt Ice Beam back in Hoenn during the time of May's first Grand Festival though. Whether they follow it up with an evolution is questionable.

Quote:
It just says dawn vs zoey final right...? So she might not =P!
No, Dawn will defeat her. The final match between Dawn and Zoey is the last episode of the Grand Festival arc, therefore Ursula won't defeat Dawn in the upcoming episode. It may come close, but Dawn will still come out on top against her.
Old April 29th, 2010 (03:13 PM).
Azumi
★七色に光る女★

Nature: Hasty
Kengo... D:

- Takeshi hits on all sorts of women. It's starting to get boring.
- Nando disappears for ages and just appears after a long time, not counting a cameo! Very nice. VERY NICE.

- I love the opening. <3

- The mother should totally go support Hikari and GO to the Grand Festival, not lock herself in her house.
- Pi-ka-ri~ Looks like Hikari's not afraid of Plusle and Minu--
- Ah, there they are.
- "De ta!" Told you Urara's totally a Harley. XD
- This episode is filled with Appealshipping hints.
- Urara seems to be irritated by "Candy Musalina"?
- Ryuuseigun *almost* hits Kengo this time! Poor passerbys.
- THIS EPISODE IS FILLED WITH APPEALSHIPPING HINTS.
- Melissa?! Why is SHE here?
- Gym rest again... XD
- Blue, red, green. Hikari, Nozomi, Nando?
- Urara evolved her Pokemon JUST for the appeal? My god, that's cool!
- But the Eevee were cute... D:
- The Vaporeon sounds like Combusken.
- I'm just going to ignore Nando's appeal.
- ALSO going to ignore Musashi's appeal.
- A Blaziken and a Sceptile?! Is this a reference for Satoshi and Haruka's contest battle?!
- Toxicroak and Skuntank = Team Galactic reference. Now we just need a Purugly in it...
- Nozomi's appeal was nice.
- P-poor Kengo! That's unfair, I liked his appeal more than Nando's...
- Penguinshipping one-sided hint?
- OOH, nice seal entry!
- ...an ice roller coaster? Wouldn't Hinoarashi's Flame Wheel melt it?
- The ending was EXCELLENT!
- KENGOOOOOOOO~! D: Poor Kengo...
- The music composition was excellent though...
- AND WHY THE HELL DO YOU NEED TO LEAVE?! You could just stay here for the Grand Festival and watch Hikari! Not because of Penguin hints, but but but you're her childhood friend! D< ...some friend you are.

- Flareon was SCARY.
Spoiler:
- Oh well, Hikari's gonna win her anyway... D:

- My goodness, was that Manmoo just now? It sounded like farting...

Azumi あずみ||:::
deviantart | tumblr | twitter||:::

「我に慢心を捨てろと来たか。||:::
つくづく厚顔なマスターよな!」||:::

Old April 30th, 2010 (12:48 AM).
Polizard
Awesome Trainer

Nature: Bold
Dawns next fight looks really good im quite excited to see it im a little bit sad for kenny i wanted dawn to crush him like a bug and jessie did quite well but i also feel that zoey performance was very meh

Pokémon Friend Code: 3754-6716-8065
Not Sure of the Pokémon in my friend Safari.
Old April 30th, 2010 (02:09 PM).
Lornami
Let's share the fruit of fate!
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I don't feel like getting into long details but, what's up with the music during the performances?
You've got some "Team Galatic is causing trouble", instead of ya'know. Something exciting!

Old May 6th, 2010 (07:41 AM).
DonRoyale
Get on my choppa!

DP175...!

-Odd that they'd do two separate brackets
-So Dawn vs. Ursula, obv.
-Beat the Libby! =D
-She's such an obnoxious little wench. I could stand Harley because he was light-hearted, but Ursula's just annoying...
-The combinations are nice with all of her Pokemon.
-Pachirisu and Mamoswine vs. Gabite and Flareon.
-AAAH! SCARY FACE! >:V
-Dawn should have totally lost the battle considering how many hits she took.
-All that digging means someone's gonna have a lot of cleaning to do
-It's too bad she keeps punking the move.
-But they pull it off!
-Only to have it fail...
-I seriously was wondering how she pulled that one off.
-But a powered-up Ice Chandelier did it! Go Dawn!
-And Jessie actually wins!

-So, Nando vs. Zoey and Dawn vs. Jessie. This will be very interesting...But Dawn should win easily!
-Nando evolved his Roselia, I see.
-Can't wait for next week~

Discuss this week's episode, people! =D
Old May 6th, 2010 (10:18 AM).
Guy
just a guy

I was looking forward to this battle, seeing Ursula and dawn compete against one another once again. Yes, another Pachirisu and Gabite face-off, brilliant. I can say, Flareon sure grew quickly for only evolving just a day earlier. Ursula must have done some pretty hefty training overnight. >_>

I don't want to go tl;dr on this episode. It was a great contest battle. I really was surprised how much points Dawn had lost so quickly. If I hadn't known the upcoming episodes, I was have sworn Dawn was going to lose it from here. She pulled it off though! Such a cool Ice Chandelier combination. Definitely a nice move for a double performance in battle.

...and so we move on to the Semi-Finals with Dawn, Zoey, Nando, and Jessie in the Top 16 so far. I'm impressed with Jessie's contest appeal this season. Too bad she's not going to pull it off in the end; only leaving bad news for Meowth and James. u_u

Things are going to start getting interesting from here on out.
Old May 6th, 2010 (10:50 AM).
Jorah
What do I put here?
Community Supporter

Gahh, I'm annoyed at knowing who will be in the finals, it takes the fun out of wondering who will win these battles T.T

- Old music ~
- I'm getting fed up of Piplup being hit by it, stop getting attention -_-
- Nando ~
- Didn't notice what a husky voice Nando had in Japanese
- Ick, I don't like the animation this episode...their eyes look so...dead
- Wow, against Ulala already...but I prefer Ulala to Nozomi!! Urgh, and she's going to get kicked out first...I hate you, Nozomi
- Urgh, I hate the RSE Wild Battle theme D: It's so goofy D:
- BERRY, BERRY EXCITING DESU! Engrish...
- Oh wow, that attack Flareon used was weird o.o Scary face looks...actually looks scary XD
- ...But the RSE legendary battle theme makes up for it :D
- Why didn't Dawn lose any points for all those Shadow Ball hits...this score counter has a mind of its own
- Hey, wait, why are they floating...
- Dawn would've lost if she didn't knock them out...
- Aww, Dawn looks so cute
- LOL Fantina just stayed in the background with her hands in the air
- lol, signed photos...

Hate knowing who win next episodes T.T But both the battles should be interesting, anyway
Old May 12th, 2010 (12:00 PM).
PearlShipper4Life
LuffyxHancock Shipper

The contest fight was pretty good.
Bahaha Kenny left and Dawn doesn't even seem to care.
I loved Ash cheering extra hard for her in the stands, it was so cute.
Dawn did very good here, though I kind of felt she should have lost.
I can't wait for the Grand Festival to end, cuz than we can move onto the league.
Some thing I've been looking forward to

LuffyxHancock shipper-One Piece.
Old May 13th, 2010 (09:02 AM).
DonRoyale
Get on my choppa!

-Before I say anything, let me first make note of the fact that that was easily the best Contest battle I've ever seen, ever. The attacks went really beautifully together. The two of them were fighting tooth and nail to edge one another out. It was really a great battle, and will probably be the best of the whole season, as far as Contests are concerned.

-So Jessie's got her sights set on stardom. I'm frankly happy she got this far...She's one of the top four coordinators in the country o.O
-Nando, however, is playing music for the wild Pokemon. He's attracted quite a crowd.
-What happened to said crowd when the gang and Zoey came by, I wonder?
-OMG epic battle. Can't even put it into words. Everything about it was just awesome...
-OH MY GOD! LOL FANTINA
-Then they follow up with Dawn of course beating Jessie, but beating her in a way that made it seem like it was so easy...I'm kinda disappointed about that.
-The exchange between Zoey and Dawn as Dawn's about to go out was just epic. You know it's going down next week.
-YOU HAVE INVOKED JESSIE RAGE. RUN FOR THE HILLS! (Even the audience is scared!)
-I think she said something along the lines of "So win the Grand Festival!"
-The stage is set! The finals...!

-So we know Zoey's using Glameow and Gallade, while Dawn's using Piplup and Togekiss. So their strongest (or at least most faithful), with their new powerhouses. By process of elimination, we could have easily figured this out...
-Next week, it concludes...! WHO WILL WIN?!
Old May 13th, 2010 (09:34 AM).
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Oh, awsome! The thread sticked!
Well I loved the zoey vs nando battle but I was hoping for a bit of a longer battle for jessie and dawn! Come onnn! It was just shameful for jessie to be beat that fast XD

Old May 13th, 2010 (09:44 AM).
PearlShipper4Life
LuffyxHancock Shipper

I was so disapointed by the short fight they showed between Dawn and Jessie.
While I'm looking forward to the one next week between Zoey and Dawn.
I was really hopping we'd get a longer battle between Jessie and Dawn.
I mean, did we really need to see Zoey battle Nando?

Old May 13th, 2010 (03:25 PM).
Guy
just a guy

-Before I say anything, let me first make note of the fact that that was easily the best Contest battle I've ever seen, ever. The attacks went really beautifully together. The two of them were fighting tooth and nail to edge one another out. It was really a great battle, and will probably be the best of the whole season, as far as Contests are concerned.
I want to start by saying that I second this, hands down.

Zoey and Nando both respectively gave it everything they had in this battle. And I think that's what Dawn was explaining midway through the show when they kept giving shots of the battle with their Pokémon performing in battle. Nando and Zoey agreed to give it their all, which is exactly what they did. They basically brought out the best in each other. Keeping things neck to neck and using both of their Pokémon to bring full appeal to their battle. Either way it went, I wouldn't have minded Nando or Zoey winning (but I already knew about the final outcome, so...).

For Dawn's and Jessie's battle, I don't mind it being cut short like it was, as Zoey and Nando made the episode very worthwhile. They could have made it look less "easy," but you know what? I'm more looking forward to the Finals with Zoey and Dawn. It will be quite the show and as for who will win. We'll see.

Quote originally posted by PearlShipper4Life:
I mean, did we really need to see Zoey battle Nando?
After watching the episode, yes, yes they did have to show Zoey's and Nando's battle. It was the best contest battle of the anime altogether I would think. Plus, it's nice how they took focus off of the main characters for awhile and put attention to the rivals of the show.
Old May 14th, 2010 (04:50 PM). Edited May 14th, 2010 by Hiroshi Sotomura.
Hiroshi Sotomura
Proud Gork

Nature: Lax
-I think she said something along the lines of "So win the Grand Festival!"
"SINCE YOU WON AGAINST ME, YOU MUST BECOME THE WINNER OR I WON'T FORGIVE YOU, OK?"

The battles were pretty much shortened since we didn't see the four -really- get into the final rounds, but alas, the way Musashi's semi-final concluded was pretty funny. Even if it was short, my feelings for that were set aside when I saw her grabbing Hikari's cheeks.

Chuckie Finster
Dislikes: Clowns
Old May 19th, 2010 (09:12 AM).
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Quote originally posted by Hiiro:

After watching the episode, yes, yes they did have to show Zoey's and Nando's battle. It was the best contest battle of the anime altogether I would think. Plus, it's nice how they took focus off of the main characters for awhile and put attention to the rivals of the show.
I don't really think it was that great and I think the next episodes battle will be better (zoeys using gallade and glameow :D) but my favourite would have to be the contest battle between may and drew in the kanto GF...!

Old May 20th, 2010 (07:26 AM). Edited May 20th, 2010 by Mew~.
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

OMG LOOKS LIKE ZOEY WONNN!!!
Well I feel really sorry for dawn losing... im glad she didn't cry like may though XD
I thought the battle was better then Nando vs. Zoey... so yay for that XD

I wonder what nando said to dawn and zoey at the end... And I wish I could of heard what dawn said to her pokemon when it ended :\, has anyone got any translations...?

Old May 20th, 2010 (09:46 AM).
DonRoyale
Get on my choppa!

So Zoey won the whole thing. Unsurprising; I didn't think she could lose at this point, and it seemed like an uphill battle for Dawn the whole way.

But Jessie is giving up Contests?! Really?! I didn't think that was going to be the case...

I like the whole Ribbon thing with her and her mother...it was pretty touching, actually. =)

Well, onto Sunyshore, since the Lighthouse has been repaired! =D
Old May 20th, 2010 (10:16 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Zoey did give more effort into this battle than Dawn did. However, that isn't to say Dawn didn't give it her all either, giving the ending result in points. Zoey just did what she knew she had to do in a contest battle; make an appeal out of their moves and the opponents and bring out the best in their Pokémon. She pulled it off more than Dawn did, but I was kind of upset that Dawn didn't get to win. It's unsurprising since no main character really ever does win their main competition, but I guess how things turned out, it's alright.

Jesse quitting contests for good is still unsure off. It's speculated that she could just be giving up her persona as Jesselina and probably start as someone new next generation. It's suspected that this could foreshadow no contests in the next series to come though. :< Which I hope the latter is not the case, as I think contests has been beginning to grow into the show more now.

I liked the cameo shots of all who Dawn met, and when she gave her mom back the ribbon, I thought it was a pretty touching moment as well. In all though, I feel Dawn has had a great deal in character development since she started her journey. No crying at the end, but full determination to keep going to become a Top Coordinator. I'm curious on whether or not she'll continue on to the next region with Ash or not. She has unfinished business with Zoey (I mean she hasn't gotten to beat her yet), and to end the contest at this note, it seems like something is missing.

Well, now it's all attention to the next gym battle and the Sinnoh League. This should all be very interesting.
Old May 20th, 2010 (03:54 PM).
Vernikova
Booted out - don't be like me!

It's official: That ***** Zoey is the biggest Mary Sue to ever be a rival on this show.

Now we'll have the pity victory for Dawn over Zoey in some unofficial contest now right? I should've expected that the writers would never let a main character win the big tournament but I still thought Dawn would win anyway. Too bad I guess.
Old May 20th, 2010 (06:24 PM).
StarGirl
sinnoh GF champion,Dawn

Nature: Brave
too bad Dawn lose to Zoey..althrough..Dawn is still champion

Old May 20th, 2010 (08:36 PM).
Master Jecht
Hmmm..

Nature: Lax
bah that was lame i was really rooting for dawn to win. The way the music was playing and how confident dawn was i thought for sure she had it. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised since nobody wins anything in the big tourneys anyway. (i don't count the battle frontier or orange islands).

Pl code:3911 0957 3329
Old May 21st, 2010 (09:50 AM).
PearlShipper4Life
LuffyxHancock Shipper

I'm disapointed Dawn lost too, however at least this increases the possibilty of Dawn staying.
Which I hope is what the writers were up to.
At least it was an awesome battle. And Ash cheered her on all the way through

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links