Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 10th, 2010 (06:18 PM).
Narcissus Secret
Donator Tier 2

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Narcissus Secret
What are your ideas/thoughts on captcha codes? Useful? Irritating? Discuss.

I think they are nice(less spam and all), but tend to be really annoying depending on how they are implemented. Some websites have them pop-up EVERYWHERE. My biggest grievance pertaining to them is when you type the code wrong, but it says it is wrong..
Old May 10th, 2010 (06:26 PM).
Shadow
Eeyah hah hah!

Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
I understand their purpose and totally endorse them being used responsibly, but I just really dislike the ones like... Oh let me draw this up.

Only use the letters with the drawing of a cat underneath it. Do not use the letters with the very similar looking dog.

I wish I was making this up. I have gotten ones this bad. I had to sit there for 20 minutes trying to figure out which horrible black smudge was a cat and which was a dog.
Old May 10th, 2010 (06:54 PM).
SIN1488
Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P

Nature: Modest
I understand the point of them, but I still hate them. There is no reason to make the letters and numbers all warped and crossed out, I really don't think there is some magic program that automatically reads them if the text is normal.
Twins Vika and Masha sent out...... What the?? PC Family ./<o>\Little Sis'/<o>\Little Brother/<o>\Lil Sis'/<o>\Uncle/<o>\Long Lost Cousin/<o>\Nephew from the future/<o>\Little Sister/<o>\Queen Aunt/<o>\Reminder: 4 words per post
Old May 10th, 2010 (07:11 PM).
Aureol
Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by SIN1488:
I understand the point of them, but I still hate them. There is no reason to make the letters and numbers all warped and crossed out, I really don't think there is some magic program that automatically reads them if the text is normal.
I agree. I highly doubt a program could scan an image with letters on it to type it out. Even if it could, just warp them a little bit; don't make them so people can't bypass it either.
I believe in God, I am a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, and I am a "Mormon" (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). If you ever want to learn about Mormonism, feel free to PM me or go to the official website (mormon.org).
Old May 10th, 2010 (11:05 PM).
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Some are okay, I guess, but sometimes, they go a bit over the top. WTF is with Newgrounds CAPTCHAs? It took me literally 30 minutes trying to sign up. Blah.
Old May 10th, 2010 (11:19 PM).
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Aureol:
I agree. I highly doubt a program could scan an image with letters on it to type it out. Even if it could, just warp them a little bit; don't make them so people can't bypass it either.
skipscreen's program can scan and type captcha codes automatically on megaupload but if they add it for like any site you visit with a captcha code, it would come in handy.
Old May 11th, 2010 (09:51 AM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
They're a necessary evil, but there definitely needs to be some innovation done to make them more accessible to humans and less accessible to robots. I prefer the ones where you have to identify some sort of concept that only a human would recognize; however, the range of options must still be broad enough that it can't be brute forced.

If you want an example of Captchas done wrong, look at any site that SkipScreen can bypass them on. Those are far too easy for robots to crack; all they do is annoy people by making them wait. If it's not effective, there's no point. ReCaptcha is just a temporary fix for the word-based Captcha model; it's simply not a solution that will work for long.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old May 12th, 2010 (11:52 AM).
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
They're a necessary evil, but please... if you're going to implement them, make them so that a human can read them. They do little good if neither person nor machine can decipher what the code is supposed. And I've seen some horrible ones before.

Oh, and four or five characters is enough. Please don't make us enter 30 characters... that's just annoying.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old May 12th, 2010 (01:14 PM).
Eurydice
`~♥Eury♥~'

Nature: Quiet
i hate them but they do help keep away alot of the spam. i hate the ones that are really crazy that you can hardly tell what anything is.

Pair
Old May 12th, 2010 (02:31 PM).
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
To be honest, I find CAPTCHAs to be annoying, but they are indeed necessary. I do really hate the pointless CAPTCHAs like the ones on MegaUpload.

Naturally, there ARE programs that can recognize text, so it MUST BE OBFUSCATED in a way that is INTENDED to CONFUSE ANY CHARACTER RECOGNITION PROGRAM IN EXISTENCE!!

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old May 13th, 2010 (04:40 AM).
Pokabu-M
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by Narcissus Secret:
What are your ideas/thoughts on captcha codes? Useful? Irritating? Discuss.

I think they are nice(less spam and all), but tend to be really annoying depending on how they are implemented. Some websites have them pop-up EVERYWHERE. My biggest grievance pertaining to them is when you type the code wrong, but it says it is wrong..
Captchas are sometime really irritating especially if you can't really read the letters in the image.
The basic use of captcha codes are to prevent SPAMS and computer generated registrations.
Old May 13th, 2010 (05:10 AM).
♣Gawain♣
Onward to Music!!!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ♣Gawain♣ Send a message via Yahoo to ♣Gawain♣
Simple. Annoying, but useful. Prevents bot hackers and such.

VM Δ PMPairsDeviantArtPlaying...ClubsTheme
Old May 13th, 2010 (06:36 AM).
Eeohnex
Illuminate
Community Supporter

I don't mind them at all, unless they are unreadable, that's when it becomes a problem.
Old May 13th, 2010 (06:57 AM).
Cheesymitten
Dukcs

I thought they were really annoying at first.
But then I've got used to them and how to read them, yeah sure it might not pick the letters up at first but. You know, at least it gives you another chance.
Old May 13th, 2010 (09:34 AM).
fer

They are incredibly annoying based on my opinion & it seems everyone answer is the same. The other day I was trying to sign up on a forum I couldn't even read the dang captcha it was literally invisible ):
Old May 13th, 2010 (03:53 PM).
hiphiphippo
hip hip hurray!

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to hiphiphippo
Quote originally posted by twocows:
They're a necessary evil, but there definitely needs to be some innovation done to make them more accessible to humans and less accessible to robots. I prefer the ones where you have to identify some sort of concept that only a human would recognize; however, the range of options must still be broad enough that it can't be brute forced.
i agree with this.

and sometimes i can read it, i type it in, and it's apparently wrong. so i get all annoyed and it takes me like 5 tries D: i just dont like the tricky ones :x
Gloom, Ariados, Toxicroak

Old May 14th, 2010 (06:08 AM).
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
I'm fine with it usually. It's not too hard to deal with most of the images and you can refresh for a new one if you can't read it. And ReCaptcha is easily the best one I've run into--it's easy to read and (apparently?) works.

But the goddamn cat and dog one makes me want to punch someone. I'm so glad I haven't seen it in ages. It was just awful. (I think Rapidshare used to use it. It made me buy a paid account with them for a month because it was so awful. Maybe that's the point?)
Old May 23rd, 2010 (02:06 PM).
KAZillonaire
Pokémon is my profession.

Nature: Adamant
Well, would you like bots spamming your website?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links