The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: Difficulty Level?
Super easy. 3 2.34%
Relitively easy. 5 3.91%
Average. 16 12.50%
Somewhat difficult. 57 44.53%
Difficult. 40 31.25%
Don't care. 7 5.47%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Well guys, here's the deal. Some of us know how fearsome Cynthia's Garchomp(much less the whole E4) was back in Platinum. My question to you guys is: Do you think that Gen V will be the same way?

Basically, what do you expect so far when difficulty is concerned? Do you think there's gonna be smarter AIs and perhaps an even stronger E4 then before?

What are you expectations for the difficulty of this game?
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Samme!
Haterz gonna hate

Send a message via AIM to Samme! Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Samme!
With such little information as of now, it's hard to gauge the difficulty level, but I'm really hoping that this game is going to provide a challenge. By challenge I mean something that's going to make me work to meet the goal, but also have fun while doing so. In HG/SS for example, the low levels made training very difficult, but it just wasn't very fun. To be honest, I wouldn't mind the option of a difficulty level. Of course I highly doubt that they'll ever do that, but hey, it would let many different people play the games in ways that they're comfortable with. But in realistic terms, I just hope it isn't going to be cut and dry battling, training, and winning your way to become champion. I want to be able to black out against difficult gym leaders, I want to face some tough trainers here and there.
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Arcelio
This was a triumph.

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via Yahoo to Arcelio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samme! View Post
I want to be able to black out against difficult gym leaders,
I hear alcohol can help with that...

No, but seriously, if they put in a difficult system, it'd make my day. Hell, I honestly think that Nintendo could learn a few lessons from the hacking community. Look at some of the hacks that they've made, the new storylines, new sprites, and new features. Hell, Zel created a true Pokemon Gold remake years before Nintendo even bothered, and honestly, I think Zel's is a bit better.

Current Challenges

Song of the Week

Old May 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Kirbychu
Scyther

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samme! View Post
With such little information as of now, it's hard to gauge the difficulty level, but I'm really hoping that this game is going to provide a challenge. By challenge I mean something that's going to make me work to meet the goal, but also have fun while doing so. In HG/SS for example, the low levels made training very difficult, but it just wasn't very fun. To be honest, I wouldn't mind the option of a difficulty level. Of course I highly doubt that they'll ever do that, but hey, it would let many different people play the games in ways that they're comfortable with. But in realistic terms, I just hope it isn't going to be cut and dry battling, training, and winning your way to become champion. I want to be able to black out against difficult gym leaders, I want to face some tough trainers here and there.
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I don't want the game to feel like a constant grind. A little challenge is always welcome.

Paired to cr4y

Old May 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
I hope they do make it a bit challenging. That way it'd be more fun. :D Also, they better not make it like HG/SS whereas all the wild Pokémon are so weak in level.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Waffle-San
Blue-Steel

Nature: Jolly
Agreeing with the consensus. A difficulty level would be ideal. I mean I like to grind a little a destroy the gym leaders but I wouldn't mind a little more challenge. A champion with a max level 70 would be awesome.
Current Monotype Unevolved Emerald Challenge; COMPLETED 51:52
The Final Chapter
Team:

Old May 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Beyerful
Beginning Trainer

I want the game to utilize all the levels and by that I mean I want to have more trainers in the level 80s and 90s area. I am sorta over the E4 being only in the 50-70 area and one epic trainer being in the 80s.
For example, my friend recorded a battle in the battle frontier in SS against a lv87 altaria (he was in the Battle hall) and showed it to me on VS recorder and said it was a trainer on Mt.Silver (I didnt know how the VS recorder worked at the time). I want to have a place like that where there are heaps of trainers with like 80s and 90s.
Also, I think if everyone was re matchable that would add some difficulty. You would have to go around rematching everyone to prove that you truly can beat everyone. Even if not everyones pokémon get stronger, just being able to rematch anyone sounds amazing to me.
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
I hate any higher level difficulty than it is already.

If it gets to the point that I can't run the game with three Pokemon without grinding, I'll quit Pokémon. I like Pokemon because I don't need to grind. If I have a full team, I get some competitive movesets and I can survive. If I have half a team, I can just run through the game and pwn trainers with overlevelled Pokemon.

If it gets hard to the point I'll need to grind no matter what, Pokemon will die for me.
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Zeta Patchouli
The Unconscious Wanderer
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I'd like it to be a bit harder, but to stay the same as well. I mean, it would be pretty cool to be able to choose a difficulty setting for the games. Easy or Hard. Easy would be the mode that is about as tough as the games are now, while Hard would be quite a bit tougher. I'd love that, but alas, I don't think that will happen.

So make it a bit harder, but don't go overboard, I guess.
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
I'd like it to be more challenging this time, to engage me, to piss me off. I love games that drive me crazy, because I try even harder to beat them.

Just my two cents.
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM
PiPVoda
핖보다,화이팅!

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PiPVoda
I wouldn't mind it be more challenging as long as the wild pokemon are a tad higher leveled too. Harder gyms are really what I'm looking for, many of them just seemed too easy. The Elite 4, now that's another story. Maybe the elite 4 will be replaced with battling other hard trainers leading up to the champion. Or after battling the trainers and making your way up next would be the elite four then the champ. Of course this wouldn't happen all at once. After each battle with the trainer one could say be able to heal their pokemon and save the game. I don't know how it would go but I'm sure if Game Freak though of an idea like it then they would find a way to make it work.
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Haza
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I hope this game is pretty hard. Even though HeartGold & SoulSilver were amazing aesthetically, I was completely turned off by the difficulty level so I still have not completed it. I want this game to bring the difficulty. With the characters aging, and putting so much effort into it, I hope that they stay true to trying to appeal to the older audience.

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM
GlitchCity

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to GlitchCity
Well when I first played diamond it was pretty challenging than previous games. I do expect Black & White to be like that, it makes the game more fun to play.
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
DXrobots
Just a passing through trainer

Nature: Sassy
I don't like having to level grind to get through every gym leader. I would like a lot more puzzles that are all moderately challenging.

Old May 16th, 2010, 12:11 AM
FloatingClouds
Champion CSSer

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FloatingClouds
You should be able to change the difficulty in the games menu, they should upgrade the whole menu in my oppinion. The game are axpected to be really good sooo just wait and see!

Credit3DS PoKéMoN deviantART

Old May 16th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Thunderpunch
Pokemon Master

Nature: Adamant
I want an elite four that ranges from lvl 80 to 100 or so, the second time you fight them. I'm tired of having to grind on Hiker Bob's team of gravelers 13421351 times to get my team to 100

Old May 16th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Charmageddon
Charizard has evolved into ^

I thought that Sinnoh got the difficulty level about right. Maybe it should be a tad harder. But not in a way that forces you to grind. Everyone hates grinding, we shouldn't have to grind, we should simply have to engage our brains and play tactically in order to beat the opponents.

Old May 16th, 2010, 03:59 AM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
I want the game to be simmilar to bloody platinum.Your at the 4th gym and the Leaders pokemon are in the High 40's
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:06 AM
vibratingcat
new username, razzbat

Nature: Jolly
well they made the protagonist older, which could be hinting at their intended audience, so it could get more hard. which would be good. but a difficulty option will definatlly be nice.

SS FC: 5414 0665 8930
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:17 AM
sampika08
Beginning Trainer

I still want a story mode that takes over a day. Difficulty for me should be so that if you beat all the trainers your pokemon are *just* too weak. Need to battle wild pokemon to get up. As it is you can beat the game without having "special training" as Ash calls it.
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:20 AM
JAK3
Psyduck

Sure, make it harder, but, all the fans need to enjoy themselves while adventuring. If it's so hard that it makes is boring, then what's the point? It was so hard to train in Heart Gold and Soul Silver because all the Pokemon where such low levels in the Wild, so maybe they could change that around a bit
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:35 AM
SpawnHyuuga
Elite Four Spawn

Nature: Timid
I honestly, can't see how hard it would be to add a difficulty level to a Pokemon game. Now don't start flaming me, because I really don't know how to program in any computer languages, or for the DS; but it can't possibly be that hard with what Nintendo has given us already.

I can do it with RPG Maker XP, and that is a selectable option in my game, albeit it needs fixing.

The hardest part is adaptability however, some trainers raise evenly; and others like me take the strongest Pokemon they have and use it solely. I usually use the starter, and with a straightforward difficulty selection I get something like this:

Easy: -2 Levels from Highest Pokemon of Trainer
Normal: Equal to "" "" "" ""
Hard: +2 Levels "" "" "" "" ""

Then if my Highest levelled Pokemon faints, and I have nothing else or just a baby I get royally screwed. However, this also tends to not be realistic for the enemy AI either.

Whereas, comparably with something like most trainers who keep a team near same-level with +- 5 of each other, the system above would probably be easy if they had the right types and movesets.
Any images or works I post, are that of my own creation, or I have properly credited the artist/creator. If I am the creator, you may use my work in any way you see fit, provided you give credit. If it is someone else's work, please give them a message, asking if you can use it.
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Given that DP could become a little crazy, I'd probably want that kind of difficulty here, too, or else the campaign would be boring. It shouldn't be bad enough that you'll have to rely on losing money and going to the Pokémon Center all the time, but it needs to have none of the underlevelling stuff that HG/SS had.

Oh yeah, it's pretty straightforward to add some toggle, wise of programming.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:54 AM
SpawnHyuuga
Elite Four Spawn

Nature: Timid
Well, I noticed that they seem to be getting better with it. I also don't intend to slam on fans of the fan game Pokemon Raptor, and maybe it was just me; but I made a LOT of trips to the PokeCenter (unintentionally) just trying to train my starter Piplup for the second gym. Which reminds me...time to go play...

But yeah, they're getting a little bit better, and Platinum seems to be the best. Knowing Game Freak, though, it will probably remain the best as there going to keep trying to tinker and "fix" something, and end up making it broke.
Any images or works I post, are that of my own creation, or I have properly credited the artist/creator. If I am the creator, you may use my work in any way you see fit, provided you give credit. If it is someone else's work, please give them a message, asking if you can use it.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I Hope this game is more difficult, the most difficult so far actually, I want a challenge, with 8th Gym Leaders Pokemon Reaching beyond 50 - 55. Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver was WAY to easy, the team Rockets at the radio tower (before the 7th gym) had Rattata's BELOW level 20, that's just ridiculous, so yeah, I'd like a real challenge.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links