The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: Plot?
Yes. 77 85.56%
No. 3 3.33%
Don't care. 4 4.44%
Undecided. 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM
A Pixy
Skipping over water.

Nature: Bashful
This is simple. Do you want Black & White to have a story?

And when I say 'Story' I mean cutscenes, characters with depth, things of that variety.

As for me, I can't say I'd want one, and if it was there, I would not care. I usually skip cut scenes in most games. It might be out of place for regular RPGs, but Pokemon already does that, so it evens out.

So, would you like a deep story?
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
YES!!! I would love to actually see an actual plot with the game. And I want to see some epic cut scenes too.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Sure, a story would be nice so long as they don't overdo it. I actually enjoy the lack of any seriously deep and convoluted story in Pokémon games. As long there's a little something with a team and some evil plot that I get to thwart, I think I can manage. I think that the developers struck the right balance in the third generation so I'd like to see a similar pacing that appeared in R/S/E.

Brother of Vrai
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Timbjerr
Hero of the Blue Flame
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
seeing as everyone and their grandmother are anticipating a much darker tone and a much more sinister villainous team, it only follows that the plot will be much more involved and epic compared to previous games in the series. :P

PokéCommunity Veteran Timbjerr

"We're not perfect. Sometimes our brains tell us one thing, while our emotions tell us another. And war... The more we try to avoid it, the worse it is when it comes to us."
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
I'm pretty sure the games will still have the simple evil team will try to get a legendary and messes up the world somehow plot. D: However, it doesn't mean things can still be spice up a bit with that story. For instance, one thing I like about R/S is there are two teams, one good and one bad. I would like that to happen in B/W actually.

As for deep characters, the games already have them if you look at them hard enough, but the more the merrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbjerr View Post
seeing as everyone and their grandmother are anticipating a much darker tone and a much more sinister villainous team, it only follows that the plot will be much more involved and epic compared to previous games in the series.
Hm, could be. A darker tone would be nice too. I think that's likely, considering the protagonists are older.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:07 AM
JAK3
Psyduck

Of course, every Pokemon game has a Story, sometimes even more than one! But remember, it usually has to do something with the evil team, so that's why I think their will be an evil team.
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:21 AM
vibratingcat
new username, razzbat

Nature: Jolly
i wish there was more to it then just the usual evil team. though i wouldnt mind another one, they should do other things too. more post game story would be cool too.

SS FC: 5414 0665 8930
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
I'm fine with more plot-based games (like DPPt started to do) so long as it doesn't feel so out of place. :/ They fixed it up a LOT in Platinum by having Looker sort of coerce you into helping investigate the evil team. It felt a lot more natural than a 10 year old randomly running into a gang of crooks and taking them all down just because they happened to be there at the time. I like that DPPt tied in the legendary plots together but the story in BW should be tighter. I don't need cutscenes, but I would like the plot not to feel pasted on top of the game. Either tie it in intricately so it feels like it was there from the start or don't have one at all, imo.

And I'm seconding vibratingcat--I think it'd be neat to see more post-game story. I mean, all the interesting stuff can't miraculously happen before you even become Champion. They could even use it as a plot device! "HEY CHAMPION, COME SAVE THIS TOWN FROM BEING OVERRUN BY TEAM GENERIC! D:" because, you know, you're the champion. @_@;

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old May 17th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
And I'm seconding vibratingcat--I think it'd be neat to see more post-game story. I mean, all the interesting stuff can't miraculously happen before you even become Champion. They could even use it as a plot device! "HEY CHAMPION, COME SAVE THIS TOWN FROM BEING OVERRUN BY TEAM GENERIC! D:" because, you know, you're the champion. @_@;
I like where you went with this on the plot. Every game so far has always seemed so empty with nothing more to do after you've become the region's champion. If they could somehow extend the plot of the story to continue on even after you've defeated the Elite and Champion, then I think it would keep the game at an interesting and enjoyable stand. Don't just end Team Generic's plan before you're about to become Champion, but instead continue it like it wasn't finished yet. Intertwining the idea that you're also now the Champion would play in a decent role to the whole story as well.

I'm mostly hoping for a story that isn't as generic as what we've been given the past four generations. Maybe mix it up a bit and not only focus attention on the evil organization, but on other aspects of the game as well. Have more characters deeply involved into the plot, not just the player. For instance, I like how they interacted Barry from DPPt into the plot a bit. If they could take that and make more of it, then I think that would make a decent change. So, yeah, I guess you could say I'm looking for something a bit more deeper as far as the storyline goes.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiiro View Post

I like where you went with this on the plot. Every game so far has always seemed so empty with nothing more to do after you've become the region's champion. If they could somehow extend the plot of the story to continue on even after you've defeated the Elite and Champion, then I think it would keep the game at an interesting and enjoyable stand. Don't just end Team Generic's plan before you're about to become Champion, but instead continue it like it wasn't finished yet. Intertwining the idea that you're also now the Champion would play in a decent role to the whole story as well.
Yes, yes, exactly! :D I'd like my early run-ins with Team Generic but for the final showdown? Yeah, it'd be so damn awesome if they're all paranoid about the Champion showing up to send them packing and it turns out to be that Pesky Annoying Kid from way back in the beginning. :'D

I'm not a battler so the typical end-game "oh yeah okay whatever you can go to the battle frontier now" sort of thing doesn't really interest me. But extending the plot, even just a little bit, could be interesting.

I mean, it might take away from the "omg I beat the game and I'm the best ever" feeling that they seem to go for by making the induction to the Hall of Fame the crowning moment of the game but I feel they already cheapen that by saying "Okay you're Champion now, that's great, but you're barely even a decent trainer thanks to the Battle Frontier" and I just sort of feel... what's the point of even being Champion? :( If it's not the way to be #1 trainer in the game, stop making it seem like it is and shift the end-game focus to the plot. It'd be an interesting change, for sure.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old May 17th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Yeah, i'd like a storyline, my favourite storyline was the storyline that took place in Hoenn (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

Old May 17th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Pokestick, good times.
An awesome usertitle
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Well....... Basicly what every one else on this thread just said. Yeah.

I want advanced cutscenes (and it looks like it's gonna be that way, too >:D), really deep characters (all Gym Leaders have a of the story and leaves their Gym atleast once, that's for sure. The hero/heroine... Well, as it's a RPG (I hope), I'd personally prefer that you could make up the story yourelf, so their story isn't too much included... But then personalisation would be even more welcome... They may still do it.
And... all that. Wow, these games are turning out awesome :o

...Maybe.

Old May 17th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Rich Boy Rob
"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor

Yes. A resounding yes. The one thing I hated about Pokémon is how shallow it is, plot wise. I hate it when people skip through cut-scenes when they are playing games round my house, they are my favourite part of games. This is the reason I love FF games. They are always so deep, with huge, twisting storylines and massive backstories for all the characters and hundreds of side stories.

Quote:
I think it'd be neat to see more post-game story. I mean, all the interesting stuff can't miraculously happen before you even become Champion. They could even use it as a plot device! "HEY CHAMPION, COME SAVE THIS TOWN FROM BEING OVERRUN BY TEAM GENERIC! D:" because, you know, you're the champion. @_@;
Also, I LOVE this idea. I hated how once you become Champion, all Team Generic's evil doings just seemed to... stop.

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Okami Chi
El Guitar Man~

That is one thing the Pokemon games need a bit more of. So yes, I do want more of a story/plot.

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Esper

Quote:
I mean, it might take away from the "omg I beat the game and I'm the best ever" feeling that they seem to go for by making the induction to the Hall of Fame the crowning moment of the game but I feel they already cheapen that by saying "Okay you're Champion now, that's great, but you're barely even a decent trainer thanks to the Battle Frontier" and I just sort of feel... what's the point of even being Champion? :( If it's not the way to be #1 trainer in the game, stop making it seem like it is and shift the end-game focus to the plot. It'd be an interesting change, for sure.
Back in Blue when you became champion you felt like you'd actually completed the game. I'm not saying I want the game to end after you become champion, but all this post-champion stuff takes the wind out of your sails and makes you wonder why they still put an Elite Four into every game anymore.

There really needs to be more plot after you become champion because if there are dozens of super trainers out there who can wipe the floor with you then why aren't any of them champion? Some of them would certainly want to be champion so why not give some nice story-based explanations instead of letting us wonder why they just sit around all day.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:06 AM
SkyAngel
~Perfect Harmony~

Location: Deep inside my subconscious where my dreams come alive. :)
Nature: Naughty
YES! I'd love if it was more in-depth and longer like FF, although since I AM a battler I have no complaints about the Battle Frontier, just the curiosity of what the hell these mega-strong trainers are doing over here instead of going over and pwning the elite four? But since I beat them anyways, no complaints :cer_boogie: but a definite YES to a more in-depth and post-champion plot.

Old May 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
solaris knight
Phantom ESP'er

A more in-depth story would be great. And after bringing back some old fans with HG/SS, this would be a good tinme to head for a darker tone.
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Kon~
Follow your dream to the end ~

Nature: Hasty
I definitely want more of a plot than just "Here is bad guys. Stop dems! (x3)"

I don't want to just parrot what everyone else here has said, but post-league plot containing Champion duties, more interaction with Gym Leaders, cutscenes, un-cheesy dialogue and a decent rival would make this a much better game, even without the flashy new graphics and hundred-odd new animals to stuff into tiny plastic balls.

"You want to look up at the sky and always see the stars." ~ Things You Remember
~~
~~
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Illustration
ああああああああ

Nature: Docile
A deep story isn't what I really look for in games. Although I wouldn't really mind if there was one.

Poniko Poniko Poniko Uboa
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Lua
dharma bum

Nature: Naive
it should have somthing to do with yin and yang..

and how cool would it be if all the colour seeped out and u had to play in black in white when the legendaries took a tantrum? a bit like the crazy weather u got in R/S/E when groudon/kyogre got a little cranky, except this time- no colours :D
do u think they'll bring in arceus or any of the D/P legends, for a bit of backstory?
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Yes, yes, exactly! :D I'd like my early run-ins with Team Generic but for the final showdown? Yeah, it'd be so damn awesome if they're all paranoid about the Champion showing up to send them packing and it turns out to be that Pesky Annoying Kid from way back in the beginning. :'D

I'm not a battler so the typical end-game "oh yeah okay whatever you can go to the battle frontier now" sort of thing doesn't really interest me. But extending the plot, even just a little bit, could be interesting.

It would add an interesting change, which is something I'd look forward to after repeating almost the same sequence generation after generation. Something that I hope plays into all of this is the protagonist's age. I mean they never really stressed the idea that the player would be older than ten, so hopefully that doesn't go to waste. Maybe since we're older we could have traveled before perhaps, failed at defeating the first Champion or something of that kind. I may seem to be going out of the borders with this one a little, but as long as they can make an intriguing story for the game and extend it beyond the Elite Four, I'd feel that it gives us more purpose of actually being a Champion now. The Battle Frontier is always fun, but yeah, it does kind of drift away from the idea that we're the game's Champion. Yet, why do we still have to feel so overshadowed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Smoochum View Post
I agree with you. I would like for Black and White to have a plot that extends post-game. I'd also like for some trainers to acknowledge me as the champion.

I'd also like for the gym leaders to be out of their gyms more often, and for you to have some interactions with them. A gym leader could be stuck in a ghost tower or in the forest surrounded by either Haunter or Ursaring, and I have to battle the Pokemon to free the gym leader. Then the gym leader and I can have a match in the gym.
When Platinum came out, I was glad they actually got the Gym Leaders a bit more outside of their Gyms. Something I wish they had done after DP, was take Fantina and allow us to meet her along the way since she was apparently away. An outside confrontation like that would have given the game, I don't know, somewhat of a new twist involving the Gym Leaders. I agree though, if they can somehow give the Gym Leaders more purpose in the story of the game, I think that would be a cool change.

Even after defeating the Elite and becoming the game's Champion, if they bring back rematches, then maybe we could rematch them outside their Gym. Not exactly in a house like in Platinum and HG/SS, but outside while traveling, we find them in certain areas amongst the region and rematch them there. Just an idea I thought would be nice. It could also tie into how Team Generic continues their plot after we become Champion.
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Kon~
Follow your dream to the end ~

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiiro View Post
Something that I hope plays into all of this is the protagonist's age.
I think it has been stated that the protagonists this time around are older than in previous generations? I can't remember where I heard that, but if the protagonists are older, it would allow for a deeper plotline than "Bad guy! Go, strong monster! Kill other's monsters! Yay, I winz!"

Seriously. >.<

"You want to look up at the sky and always see the stars." ~ Things You Remember
~~
~~
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
GlitchCity

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to GlitchCity
Well I was kinda hoping for a deep story, to make things more interesting. Ooo! More 3D cut scenes like they did with PtHGSS. Those were pretty BA.
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Yes, please. I loved Colosseum and XD just for that.

I mean, get x badges and become the Champion doesn't count as plot anymore, and in most games you were walking randomly and it happened that the evil guys were blocking your path or had the item you needed to progress. It felt way too forced.

I agree with Erica on this, Platinum helped a bit, but it shouldn't be too hard to help with the plot- just make it so early in the beggining the character has a reason to fight the evil guys. R/S/E and D/P/P got near it but failed- the guys are attacking a random dude or are just "mysterious" and not clearly evil.

D/P/P also helped with Charon's evil plan to do... something in Stark Mountain, but please, more Team Ggeneric characters and not just random trainers, and a big showdown and not just an "Unfought" ending.

Otherwise, a good plot twist would also help- the TG leaders are clear from the beggining and they go around telling everybody or making their evil plans incredibly obvious for everybody.

Oh, and is Team Rocket the only evil team that is ever going to take over a city or a building over two floors tall in the main series? (not counting HQ's). It's... kind of sad.

I'm kind of interested on the Rocket Grunt in Cerulean, btw. They changed his script to add a line where he says he's going to rebuild Team Rocket in his country. That's interesting, because the last script change they made to Giovanni (he left to train, instead of leaving to study Pokémon) turned out to be a foreshadowing of the future...
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Benjamin510
The King of Typio's!

Nature: Adamant
I Just Wish. Look At it this Way: A Random kid, Lets just name him Black, Goes on and errand for prof maple, He beats everyone in his way he fights the bad guy with no help at ALL. The End. Take it like GSCHGSS, There's Red but what if you could, Download sub plots. For Example you could get a mew subplot, and there would be Leaf/Blue/Green the plot would be like maybe like a quarter of the orginal plot. And What if we got an Expaned Verison of PBR, But with a story! a Plot! See what I mean theres so many ways to do it, But they don't use 'em!

Hall of Quotes
Spoiler:
"WE ALREADY HAVE THAT, IT'S CALLED BULBAPEDIA"
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links