Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old March 25th, 2016 (11:33 AM). Edited May 2nd, 2016 by NotchItUpABit.
Amateur

Nature: Jolly
The Pokemon Anime Style Challenge. A challenge originating from www.azurilland.com/forums/pokemon/pokemon-challenges/ongoing-challenges/503082-red_009-finally-plays-white-2-anime-style which takes a spin on the game and tries to follow the anime. In the challenge is many rules that simulate how a journey in the anime would be like

Rules:

Spoiler:
1. Bro for Life: The first Pokémon you obtain after your starter, or your starter itself, will be your “Bro for Life”. (Think Pikachu, or Iris’ Axew.)
You may wait a couple routes before catching something, or you can even import an egg to be your BFL, but you must obtain it before the first Gym and cannot catch anything before you get it.
Once you get your BFL, your starter can no longer be used against any trainers, unless your starter is your BFL. HOWEVER, you may use your starter to train up your BFL against wild Pokémon after getting it.
Your Bro for Life cannot evolve, and must travel with you at all times.

2. You can only catch one Pokémon per area (but it does not have to be your first encounter). It is recommended (not mandatory, but recommended) that you have 10 (14 upon reaching Kanto if playing a Johto game) or fewer Pokémon at all times.
It is up to you as to how you want to handle any Safari Zone, as well as places that have multiple areas (i.e. Pinwheel Forest in BW, Reversal Mountain in BW2, Route 8 in XY).

3. Evolution:
Each possible evolution has a 5/12 chance of happening.
Whether or not an evolution happens is determined by a random number generator. If you catch a Vulpix and the evolution fails to go through, too bad. You have a Vulpix forever.
If you have something that can evolve twice (like Charmander), and the first evolution fails, you may try it one more time (but you cannot attempt to go for a Charizard). That rule is in place to keep the 5/12 number intact.
Pokémon immune to this rule: Magikarp, baby Pokémon, early game Bug-type lines (i.e. Caterpie, Wurmple, Scatterbug). However, for baby Pokémon like Budew and Azurill, after they evolve, then you RNG for their chance of evolution.

4. Departure:
For each new numbered route you enter after the first Gym, there is a 3/16 chance that one of your team members will leave, again determined by random number generator.
If that happens, you must select a member in your current team to release or permanently box, not counting your Bro for Life.

5. No healing items in battle. This is to go along with the anime, which doesn't use them at all. (Although the OP used this rule because he "was a glutton for punishment".)

6. All Pokémon can only learn one TM move for the entirety of the game. The exception is that if the Pokémon has evolved twice while owned by you, you may teach it 3 TM moves.
HM moves do not count towards this limit, nor do TM moves learned by level.
As for Move Tutor moves in Platinum or Black 2/White 2, it may learn one of those as well.
So, for example, say you're playing Black 2/White 2 and are using a Frillish. You could give it Blizzard (TM), Giga Drain (move tutor), Surf (HM) and Ominous Wind.
Additionally, if you import in an egg to be your Bro for Life, you may give it one egg move.

7. Consecutive moves:
You must use three different moves on each Pokémon’s first three turns in a battle. If you are early in the game and your first Pokémon only has two moves, it is excluded from this limit.
You can never use a move three times in a row.
(So you’d have to do something like ABCCBCCBCCB and so on.)

8. Gym Battles:
You must begin a Gym battle with the same number of Pokémon as the Gym Leader. You may deposit your Bro for Life before a Gym battle if you do not wish to use it in said battle.
It is up to you how you want to deal with the Elite Four (since the Champion always has six Pokémon).

Optional:
9. No held items, except for those that affect experience/EVs.
To make that more specific, the following items are allowed whether you use this rule or not: Amulet Coin, Macho Brace, Power items (Bracer, Anklet, etc), Exp. Share, Lucky Egg.
Since Gym Leaders/Elite Four in most games give their aces berries, you may give one of your Pokémon a Berry when facing them.

However, as a mercy rule for XY players, the Exp. Share and Pokémon-Amie will be allowed. The former to help during training (and just because), and the latter because Amie emulates what the anime does between Pokémon and trainer bonds including dodging attacks and hanging on.

10. Tweaking rules.
If you ever feel like one of the rule(s) are a bit too much, you may add some sort of alteration. This could be to either simulate the Anime further, or if you ever have problems during a game.

When is a challenge complete?

Spoiler:
The challenge ends when the credits roll for the first time except for:
Pokemon GSC/HGSS: When you defeat Red.
Pokemon X/Y: When you defeat AZ.

Sign-up sheet:

Username:
Game:
Optional Rules?:

My sign-up:

Username: NotchItUpABit
Game: Pokemon Crystal
Optional Rules?: Yes. Specifically the tweaking rules. The Bro for Life if it is a Pokemon that has a pre-evolution introduced after it, you can use it.

Champions

None

Ongoing
PokeHunterBlack - White
Michelaar - Black 2
NotchItUpABit - Crystal

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 26th, 2016 (10:49 AM).
Amateur

Doing good so far, started Crystal and am now going to battle Jasmine (5th GYM) soon. I have 5 Pokemon so far. Here is the run-down:

Progress:
Spoiler:
I lost to Falkner but quickly beat him on my second try. I caught a Bellsprout (which evolved before second gym) and a Sentret(evolved mid-battle/end of battle with Falkner) on my way to the first gym. My BFL or Bro for Life was a Cyndaquil. After it lost badly to Falkner, Cyndaquil decided not to evolve. I then went over to Bugsy and steam-rolled him with my new Furret and Cyndaquil. Afterwards I beat Whitney (aka Whiney) with a Furret that was given the TM Fire Punch! On my way to Morty's gym, I caught a Scyther at the Thursday Bug Contest, and won first place. I received a Sun Stone! Scyther can evolve, but Weepinbell can't(it got a 12/12 on a random number generator, then a 3/12.). I lost to Morty badly, this time realizing I need to switch tactics. I met Bill who gave me an Eevee which sadly couldn't evolve due to it's shyness. With a team of five, Morty and I had an equal battle, ending with Scyther VS Haunter. The battle was heated, but a pursuit ended it! Now on our way to the lighthouse in the area of the fifth gym, my team and I are so far doing good!

Team:
Spoiler:
Cyndaquil/Ash - Bro for Life
Furret/Sentry - Fully Evolved
Weepinbell/Bell - Can't evolve again.
Scyther/Psy - Can evolve (will use Universal Randomizer so it'll evolve at level 30.)
Eevee/Jolt - Can't evolve. (Sucks because I named it Jolt for it's lightning speed, and was going to evolve it into a Jolteon.)

All in all, this was a pretty good beginning update. We're on a roll, but we need to tackle Kanto as well. Thinking of adding a Poliwag that hopefully can evolve into Politoed. If it can't, then it'd be pretty sad. Oh well! Time to go!
Old April 17th, 2016 (9:35 PM).
Bounty Hunter

Nature: Rash
I will start this after my other Challenges, so be prepared!

Thanks to CBD for the Signature!

A wise man once said "Believe in The Peeko"

Steven Stone
Old April 19th, 2016 (9:17 PM).
Bounty Hunter

Nature: Rash
Username: PokeHunterBlack
Game: White
Optional Rules?: 1. Only held items that effect EXP

Thanks to CBD for the Signature!

A wise man once said "Believe in The Peeko"

Steven Stone
Old April 19th, 2016 (10:50 PM).
Fire emblem and Pokemon off course

Nature: Naughty
Sounds fun, I might try this on Black 2 as well! Why Not?

Username: Michelaar
Game: Black 2
Optional Rules: none
Old April 20th, 2016 (3:57 AM).

Gotta start this after 2 challenges

Pokemon Emerald - Dark Monotype
Pokemon Emerald - Random PKMM

~ Completed Challenges ~

None at the moment.

~ Failed Challenges ~

Pokemon Liquid Crystal - Solo PKMN (Heracross)
Corrupted save file bwbwbwbw
Old May 2nd, 2016 (2:52 AM).
Amateur

Sorry for not updating in a while. I will continue updating on a weekly basis. I'll have an update hopefully soon.
Old May 2nd, 2016 (3:42 AM).

Nature: Gentle
Username: LRachelR5
Game: X, HeartGold
Optional Rules?: Nope

Old May 2nd, 2016 (7:51 PM).

Username: butterslave
Game: Crystal
Optional Rules: Yes

Old May 5th, 2016 (3:46 PM). Edited May 8th, 2016 by ddrox13.
I AM FATE'S ACCOMPLICE!

Nature: Modest
This actually sounds really fun! I suppose once I finish my ultimate Gallade solo I could try for this.

EDIT: I will, and I'll throw my signup here now. Gonna tweak the rules a LOT to match le anime,

Username: ddrox13
Game: Y
Optional Rules?: No Held Items (except those mentioned above, Everstones because evo fails are annoying, and signature items (including Mega Stones), no non-standard Pokeballs except Master, no legendaries (duh), cannot switch in trainer battles except after KOing an enemy or Turn 1.

And my partner will be... Shuppet! There is a reason the Puppet Pokemon made it into my sig. I have good memories of Shuppet from when I played the TCG competitively, and I have no reason to believe an in-game one will fail me (other than the fact that I've never used it). I'll get the egg from AS, probably with egg move Phantom Force because it's a cool move and makes Shuppet feel like a ninja (and I'd learn it by level if I were in ORAS).
Old June 8th, 2016 (12:37 PM).

Username: Herzjitu
Game: Pokemon X
Optional Rules?: Nope
Old June 8th, 2016 (4:17 PM). Edited June 9th, 2016 by Ahri.
Platinum Tier

Nature: Timid
Username: Ahri
Game: X/Y (not sure which one is free to use, will have to check my games)
Optional Rules:
If I receive an Egg of any kind, I MUST hatch it and make it part of my team. The same rule applies to fossil Pokemon.
On every encounter with the evil team, one of my Pokemon will get stolen, meaning I can't use it to battle the baddies. As soon as the baddies are taken care of, my Pokemon will be rescued and rejoin the party. I'll use a random number generator to decide which one gets stolen.
Only the "Bro for Life" can have its Amie level maxed. Everyone else has to be kept lower, based on when they joined the party.

If you'd like to play with me, you better be sure you know the game.

Old June 9th, 2016 (9:45 AM). Edited June 9th, 2016 by herzjitu.

Update!
Spoiler:
So, I chose Chespin as my starter, and completed all the boring story stuff. I then caught a Fletchling named Thunder on Route 2, a Pikachu named Ellie in the Santalune Forest, and Nigel the Bidoof (he'll be an HM slave so..) on Route 3. I am traveling to Route 22 to catch my BFL: Riolu. <3

(e) I misunderstood the first rule and caught Pokemon before my BFL x.x Oops
Old June 9th, 2016 (7:19 PM).
Knight Train

Nature: Adamant
Username: J11Knight
Game: Pokemon Y
Optional Rules?: On every encounter with the evil team, one of my Pokemon will get stolen, meaning I can't use it to battle the baddies. As soon as the baddies are taken care of, my Pokemon will be rescued and rejoin the party. I'll use a random number (excluding major boss battles like Lysandre)
Old June 14th, 2016 (5:50 AM).

Nature: Calm
Know what? I remember doing this a while ago so why not do it again I guess ^.^

Username: AoTora
Game: Red (Will randomize it just for fun ^.^]
Optional Rules?: No held items [can't use them anyways lol]

Username: AoTora
Game: Emerald OA [Kalos] - Basically a normal emerald rom with few mons from other regions instead of normal hoenn ones- Will randomize this aswell.
Optional Rules?: No held items besides everstones (Mind if I just hack in a few everstones at the beginning of the game though? Not surei f you can buy them D: ]

Do what you believe in and believe in what you do. All else is a waste of energy and time ~ Nisargadatta.

Love is the only power that can change an enemy into a friend. ~ Martin Luther King.

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, Crossing Jordan and some other series. I am also Harry Potter fan and Disney fan (I love Frozen!) - I also like other animes beside Pokemon.
Old June 14th, 2016 (12:35 PM).
The user formerly known as Orrefan8888

This sounds fun, but I'm going to make it little tougher on myself.

Username: Wanderer Miror B.
Game: Pokemon Yellow
Optional Rules?: Yes. I will be tweaking the rules to remove number 7 regarding consecutive moves, adding in rule 9, and further adding Nuzlocke rules so that the challenge functions as an Anime-Style Nuzlocke, as long as this is acceptable. I'll essentially be playing as Paul from the Diamond and Pearl arc of the show. Also, depatures will be randomly selected, as I would otherwise just keep a weak Pokemon around to throw away.

My Bro for Life will be the cliche choice, Pikachu.
Old July 29th, 2016 (9:28 PM).

Username: jordinduyck25
Game: FireRed (With Universal Randomizer)

Optional Rule:
No one is safe: A alteration of the departure rule. Your Pokemon, sorted by when caught, are randomly selected if a Pokemon is to depart. BFL is exempted of course.
Quality over Quantity: You can catch only up to 10 Pokemon, as per anime. If a Pokemon departs, you can catch another to take it place. They all must be different though.
Making Friends is Hard: You have 2/6 chance of that Pokemon being allowed to be caught. It's to emulate how Ash never caught a lot of Pokemon.

Wish me luck.
Old July 29th, 2016 (10:16 PM).

Username: jordinduyck25
Game: FireRed

Log 1

Spoiler:
- Name: Luke
- Bro For Life: Pikachu, as per Anime
- Beat Rival Ian. As per Anime, I had Ian picked Squirtle. It's a bit cheating as I had Pikachu take Charmander's place, but with how hard this challenge is, I take what I get.
- Did errand for Oak, got Pokedex and PokeBalls
- Got nothing in Route 1
- Arrived in Viridian City
- Went to Route 22, beat Ian (narrowly), got no Pokemon
- Route 2, no Pokemon caught
- Viridian Forest, caught first Pokemon, Caterpie.
- Caterpie evolved into Metapod
- Arrived in Pewter City
- Tried to fight first Gym Trainer, lost to Geodude
- Trained up Metapod to a Butterfree
- Beat the Gym trainer...only to lose to Brock's Onix
- Defeated Brock on the seventh try.
- Route 3, nothing of importance happened
- Route 4, nothing of importance happened
- Mt. Moon, caught a Zubat, can evolve into Golbat, but not into Crobat (moot point as Golbat can't evolve before credits in FRLG. Didn't activate National Pokedex)

Team:

Spoiler:
Current:

Pikachu, Butterfree, Zubat

Reserve:

None

Departed:

None
Old August 11th, 2016 (4:13 PM).

I'm going to use #9 with the tweak that Everstones can be equipped, so the Bro For Life rule will be easier on me.

I'm going to make the Team Member Loss random because otherwise I can just run a five-member team with one junk Pokemon to constantly discard. This is obviously going to maul whatever well-planned team I have, but be more true to a challenge.

Username: Disturb Not The Harmony
Game: Gold
Optional Rules?: Restricted Held Items, Random Team Member Loss
Bro For Life: Chikorita

Chikorita has Reflect as a utility move, which will make it easier to cope with the three-moves rule (since I'll want to be renewing it frequently anyway). It's also pretty decent after the first two Gyms, which is the point when random team member loss will start to hit hard.
Completed Challenges: Zodiac Challenge (Red) | Time Warp Challenge (Blue: Jurassic Jam | Blue: Stone Age | Blue: Egyptian Era) | Solo Challenge (Blue: Blastoise | Red: Nidoking) | Body Type Challenge: Quadrupedal (Blue) | Anime Style Challenge (Gold) | Randomized Nuzlocke (Blue) | Mono-Pokemon Challenge (Red: Gengar x3)
Old August 12th, 2016 (12:50 PM). Edited August 12th, 2016 by DyingWillFlareon.
Da Buu Dee Da Bu Die
Silver Tier

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to DyingWillFlareon
Im finally gunna do this

Username: DyingWillFlareon
Game: Yellow (wish i couldve randomized other than starter but hey oh well qwq)
Optional Rules: No held items. Bc. Gen I. :'D Also if Im training on wild Pokemon or against a Metapod/Kakuna the Move Limit rule is not in place.

My BFL will be the Pika

*For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night nor of the darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and sober. -1Thessalonians 5:5-6
#TeamTrivia
*The Library; Pokemon Manga Fanclub! Come join today!!
*The Dexholders' Challenge!
Old August 12th, 2016 (5:38 PM). Edited August 12th, 2016 by Disturb Not The Harmony.

I've made it past Pokemon League.

Spoiler:

Team:
Mutton the L53 . Moves: Thunderpunch/Light Screen/Strength/Thunder Wave.
Maledictio the L51 . Moves: Surf/Curse/Amnesia/Confusion.
Manes the L43 . Moves: Hypnosis/Dream Eater/Night Shade/Confuse Ray.
Deus the L51 . Moves: Surf/Hyper Beam/Bite/Thrash.
Flora the L38 Sis For Life. Moves: Razor Leaf/Cut/Reflect/Synthesis. (Would have had Light Screen, but I forgot to delete Cut at Blackthorn. )
Petra the L40 . Moves: Tackle/Rollout/Defense Curl/Magnitude.
Lost members:
Faerie the L17 . Moves: Metronome/Charm/Growl/Headbutt.
Bovem the L28 . Moves: Stomp/Strength/Defense Curl/Milk Drink.

I think I may have accidentally botched the Gym Leader rule, but the savestates are too far back to repeat. Besides which, the major wall was at Pokemon League, where I had all six slots available.

The funniest thing I learned was that Gastly is actually competitive at Pokemon League.
Also, a player-controlled Amnesia Cursebro is just as invincible as past hellish experiences with Will would indicate. If it can't be killed quickly, the set-up lets it sweep a team.

Now on to Kanto. This may be a time of many sad farewells...

Spoiler:
Now at Red.
Team:
Mutton the L58 . Moves: Thunderpunch/Light Screen/Strength/Thunder Wave.
Deus the L56 . Moves: Surf/Hyper Beam/Bite/Thrash.
Flora the L42 Sis For Life. Moves: Razor Leaf/Cut/Reflect/Synthesis. (Would have had Light Screen, but I forgot to delete Cut at Blackthorn. )
Canis the L48 . Moves: Flamethrower/Faint Attack/Bite/Smog.
Hypnos the L52 . Moves: Snore/Rest/Body Slam/Rollout.
Spirita the L45 . Moves: Pain Split/Psybeam/Mean Look/Confuse Ray.
Lost members:
Chiroptera the L31 . Moves: Bite/Wing Attack/Leech Life/Confuse Ray.
Maledictio the L52 . Moves: Surf/Curse/Amnesia/Confusion.

Currently grinding at Elite Four. Spirita is supposed to totally shut down Snorlax, while Canis is supposed to (eventually) do the same to Espeon. Ugh, Johto and its lack of good grinding spots...

RED IS DOWN I AM THE CHAMPION

Team:
Mutton the L62 . Moves: Thunderpunch/Light Screen/Strength/Thunder Wave.
Deus the L59 . Moves: Surf/Hyper Beam/Bite/Thrash.
Flora the L44 Sis For Life. Moves: Razor Leaf/Cut/Reflect/Synthesis. (Would have had Light Screen, but I forgot to delete Cut at Blackthorn. )
Canis the L55 . Moves: Flamethrower/Faint Attack/Bite/Smog.
Hypnos the L53 . Moves: Snore/Rest/Body Slam/Rollout.
Spirita the L53 . Moves: Pain Split/Psybeam/Perish Song/Confuse Ray.
Lost members:
Chiroptera the L31 . Moves: Bite/Wing Attack/Leech Life/Confuse Ray.
Maledictio the L52 . Moves: Surf/Curse/Amnesia/Confusion.

The L81 went down to a combination of Hypnos and Mutton -- seriously, it's a matter of luck as to whether Red's AI remembers it has two Full Restores per Pokemon.
was, of course, taken out with Crunch + Bite.
was work for Mutton.
The enemy was forced out by Perish Song. Unfortunately I mis-predicted and thought he'd go to , and Deus ended up fainting against . Canis avenged its fallen comrade with a Flamethrower.
The enemy was again forced out by Perish Song. Spirita OP.
came out, there being no other option, and Mutton performed a Lightning Uppercut to the jaw.
The enemy was yet again... Oh, wait, there was no remaining Pokemon to switch in. >:D

And thus ended the reign of Red. Run complete.

Really good challenge. I actually mourned when I had to give up Maledictio. ;_;
Completed Challenges: Zodiac Challenge (Red) | Time Warp Challenge (Blue: Jurassic Jam | Blue: Stone Age | Blue: Egyptian Era) | Solo Challenge (Blue: Blastoise | Red: Nidoking) | Body Type Challenge: Quadrupedal (Blue) | Anime Style Challenge (Gold) | Randomized Nuzlocke (Blue) | Mono-Pokemon Challenge (Red: Gengar x3)
Old August 13th, 2016 (8:16 AM).
Da Buu Dee Da Bu Die
Silver Tier

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to DyingWillFlareon
Gym 1:

Spoiler:
Got my starter/BFL Isha the Ishachu Pikachu, trained her on the way to and from Viridian.
Spoiler: Isha

Spoiler: training

A Mankey was caught by us, if she wants to leave she can but I think she enjoys the adventure so far despit her attitude to me. A Caterpie was crying about being bullied so we offered to train him to evolve, hes a Butterfree now with some awesome early game Confusion.
Spoiler: Roope and Jenaro

Brock's gym was a bit hard but we took him down the second time and Jenaro even evolved after.
Spoiler: Vs Brock- Roope's trying so hard!

We didnt use Isha vs Brock, just Jenaro and Roope.

The RNG decided its number 16 so someone has to go.
Story: We met a kid being bullied outside of Pewter. We chased the bullies off with threats, and after talking to the kid Jenaro felt extremely bad for the boy. He asked to go and be the protector for him, so Jenaro left the team to stay in Pewterr with the kid and they live happily with Jenaro scaring the crap out of bullies with Stringshot/Confusion and bein the best friend of eachother.

Goodbye Jenaro! Ily! :')

*For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night nor of the darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and sober. -1Thessalonians 5:5-6
#TeamTrivia
*The Library; Pokemon Manga Fanclub! Come join today!!
*The Dexholders' Challenge!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links