Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Reload this Page Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old April 23rd, 2012 (01:27 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by Sydian:
Ew you'e leaving us for...them. jk. lol I've been RNGing more than working on my challenges...however most of the stuff I RNG is for the RNG Club's challenges, SO IN A SENSE, I am still doing challenges. ;)
Same here Syd, that means I'm still doing challenges too :3
But now the holidays are over and I'm back at school :(
Old April 23rd, 2012 (02:12 PM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
Gee, I'm done after Friday. Funny how things work like that haha. I was thinking of restarting the Pick Up and Play Challenge, but with different modes if anyone is interested. For those that don't know what that challenge is, you play a different main game each day and just pick up where you left off, whether that last time you played it was a week ago or 3 years ago. But like I said, there are some changes and modes I'd like to add to make it less tedious and more easy to, for lack of a better phrase, pick up and play.

And then event in June! And I think GT9 is in June. idr. :( Not sure if I want to do Challenge Royale again for GT or something completely different. Hmm hmm hmm.

"I'm burning up with my hatred for you, runt!"

pair
Old April 23rd, 2012 (03:30 PM).

Gee, I'm done after Friday. Funny how things work like that haha. I was thinking of restarting the Pick Up and Play Challenge, but with different modes if anyone is interested. For those that don't know what that challenge is, you play a different main game each day and just pick up where you left off, whether that last time you played it was a week ago or 3 years ago. But like I said, there are some changes and modes I'd like to add to make it less tedious and more easy to, for lack of a better phrase, pick up and play.

And then event in June! And I think GT9 is in June. idr. Not sure if I want to do Challenge Royale again for GT or something completely different. Hmm hmm hmm.
Maybe something that allows everybody to win?
Like Challoween or the last Christmas challenge?
Although thinking of something to fit in the GTX would be a bit hard ...
Old April 23rd, 2012 (04:36 PM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

Everyone won at Christmas because I was away for a week while the challenge was still going and I asked smods to help me keep track of that thread while I was gone for the week, but none of them did. And I was just too tired to go through the thread and see which members got the required amount of badges, so everyone got an emblem. idr what I did about Challoween. But I'd like to get back on track of the "if you don't complete it, you don't get it" thing because I hate when people enter events just for an emblem and expect it for doing absolutely nothing. It's kinda lazy...gotta earn them. :(

As for GT, you'll get an emblem for just participating. Well last year, we had some people sign up and I'd never hear from them again, so they didn't get an emblem. Cause that thing was a team effort and they let their team down. That in mind, that's what messed up Challenge Royale last year. I think I ended up giving the winning emblems to those that won their category despite what team they were on. And those that tried got the Swablu emblem. That's the main reason I'd like to think of something else for GT. But yeah, it's hard to come up with something in this section that you can collaborate with others on.

pair
Old April 23rd, 2012 (07:21 PM).
Crystal Tier

As for GT, you'll get an emblem for just participating. Well last year, we had some people sign up and I'd never hear from them again, so they didn't get an emblem. Cause that thing was a team effort and they let their team down. That in mind, that's what messed up Challenge Royale last year. I think I ended up giving the winning emblems to those that won their category despite what team they were on. And those that tried got the Swablu emblem. That's the main reason I'd like to think of something else for GT. But yeah, it's hard to come up with something in this section that you can collaborate with others on.
I was glad that you only gave the emblems to the people who actually did something in the Challenge Royale because with all the effort and hard work it took to get a good time, it would've been really annoying for people to get a winner emblem because of what I did. I still like the idea of the challenge where you try and have the least amount of Pokémon seen on your Pokédex as possible. With that it could still be a competition, but if people forget or don't finish, the challenge doesn't fall apart.
Old April 23rd, 2012 (07:33 PM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

Quote:
I was glad that you only gave the emblems to the people who actually did something in the Challenge Royale because with all the effort and hard work it took to get a good time, it would've been really annoying for people to get a winner emblem because of what I did. I still like the idea of the challenge where you try and have the least amount of Pokémon seen on your Pokédex as possible. With that it could still be a competition, but if people forget or don't finish, the challenge doesn't fall apart.
That is interesting, actually. I'll keep that in mind! :) Of course, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm completely open to them. However I'd rather wait a while before everyone starts tossing suggestions left and right since I don't wanna forget and I want them to be fresh on my mind. But yeah, that works. Though, if someone doesn't participate, meaning they have no Pokemon in their Dex at all, it wouldn't be fair to the team that has everyone playing, since they'll have a disadvantage.

Now that I think about it, the people that signed up and didn't play were people that weren't challenge regulars. Not saying non-challengers are all bad, but it just leads me to believe non-regs will just join because GT is ALL about free emblems. lol :(

pair
Old April 23rd, 2012 (09:11 PM).
Weedle trainer

It's probably just me being dumb, but what does GT mean? Are you guys referring to the holiday challenges?
Old April 23rd, 2012 (09:30 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Wait...we could have gotten emblems for those two? Oh wow....now I'm mad I couldn't complete either of them.
Old April 23rd, 2012 (09:45 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
Like a team thing?
Quote originally posted by SuperKirbyFan:
It's probably just me being dumb, but what does GT mean? Are you guys referring to the holiday challenges?
GT is get together. This year is #9 (i think).

I think it would be cool to have like a scavenger hunt type thing (sorta), where like the OP posts something like first to send me a LeafGreen screenshot with a level 20 pokemon gets a point. You could also do stuff like: take a screenshot at the Mosdeep Pokecenter, get a Pokemon that knows Drill Peck, get a Chimecho, etc. You could even do different games to lessen the chance of someone getting lucky and like overtraining and getting to level 40 and then you having a "mission" saying 'get to level 42'.
Old April 24th, 2012 (12:08 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
Like a team thing?

GT is get together. This year is #9 (i think).

I think it would be cool to have like a scavenger hunt type thing (sorta), where like the OP posts something like first to send me a LeafGreen screenshot with a level 20 pokemon gets a point. You could also do stuff like: take a screenshot at the Mosdeep Pokecenter, get a Pokemon that knows Drill Peck, get a Chimecho, etc. You could even do different games to lessen the chance of someone getting lucky and like overtraining and getting to level 40 and then you having a "mission" saying 'get to level 42'.
It could be in teams or singular.

That sounds like a really cool idea actually, the only problem I can think of though is if someone doesn't have access to a game or something, but I still really like it.
Old April 24th, 2012 (12:14 AM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
It could be in teams or singular.

That sounds like a really cool idea actually, the only problem I can think of though is if someone doesn't have access to a game or something, but I still really like it.
We could maybe just have it limited to one game from Gen 1, one from Gen 2, one from 3, and one from 4 then. Not make any hunts that would be version exclusive. Or do make them version exclusive, just for less points?

Another potential flaw is that it would really encourage emulator use, since screenies would be mandatory. But it feels like (at least to me) that most people here have access to emulators, and if they do, then its not hard to get one or two games if you're missing them.
Old April 24th, 2012 (05:30 AM).

This is GT10 iirc, well, at least that's what I remember from the archives
Anyhow, @Syd when I said a challenge that anybody can win I meant something like, one that everybody can complete (and win)
But that's my inferiority complex speaking though
Old April 24th, 2012 (06:50 AM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

Well I don't think they're that hard to complete, especially challenges where you just have a certain criteria to meet with your team such as Challoween or the Christmas event. You have a lot of good options available.

Quote:
We could maybe just have it limited to one game from Gen 1, one from Gen 2, one from 3, and one from 4 then. Not make any hunts that would be version exclusive. Or do make them version exclusive, just for less points?

Another potential flaw is that it would really encourage emulator use, since screenies would be mandatory. But it feels like (at least to me) that most people here have access to emulators, and if they do, then its not hard to get one or two games if you're missing them.
Oooohhhhh I like this too. Quit making me excited lol. :(

Also it's GT9 this year. If you look in the FAQ, there's an event archive and Challenge Royale is listed as a GT8 event.

pair
Old April 24th, 2012 (10:25 AM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Well I don't think they're that hard to complete, especially challenges where you just have a certain criteria to meet with your team such as Challoween or the Christmas event. You have a lot of good options available.

Oooohhhhh I like this too. Quit making me excited lol.

Also it's GT9 this year. If you look in the FAQ, there's an event archive and Challenge Royale is listed as a GT8 event.
We should start planning it now then. So we can make it real good.

And why would I look at the FAQ? That would take effort.
Old April 24th, 2012 (11:00 AM).
Monotype Master
Gold Tier

Nature: Lax

oh you lazy...

By the way, I would really like a chance to be a part of running the gt9 challenge event if possible. At least I think I can help with setting it up/picking a challenge.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old April 24th, 2012 (12:42 PM).
Crystal Tier

I'd love to also be a part in running the challenge event in the GT9 this year, so if you need any help/guinea pigs...
Old April 24th, 2012 (01:02 PM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

Can we please worry about this after finals week @_@

pair
Old April 24th, 2012 (01:16 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Can we please worry about this after finals week @_@
A good trainer can handle himself under pressure. Syd. We need to do this RIGHT NOW.
Old April 24th, 2012 (01:56 PM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

After finals and after I help a friend cope with a loss? :/ K? K...

pair
Old April 29th, 2012 (12:57 AM).
Crystal Tier

After finals and after I help a friend cope with a loss? :/ K? K...
Fine, but we will bombard you with plans as soon as that finishes.
Old May 3rd, 2012 (05:11 AM). Edited May 3rd, 2012 by Jobrjo.

The Ultimate Multi-Type Challenge!

Basically this: You have to beat the game with all of your Pokemon being dual-types and having moves that don't match either type nor each other.
For example, let's say one beat the game with a Venusaur, Charizard, Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgeot, and Fearow. It would have to be something akin to this:

Venusaur :~: Double-Edge, Earthquake, Rock Smash, Sunnyday
Charizard :~: Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw, Slash, Solar Beam
Butterfree :~: Psybeam, Poison Powder, Stun Spore, Safeguard
Beedrill :~: Rage, Assurance, Agility, Solar Beam
Pidgeot :~: Sand-Attack, Twister, Agility, U-turn
Fearow :~: Assurance, Agility, Drill Run, U-turn

Each of those Pokemon are dual-types. Each of their moves are both different from their user's types, as well as different from each other. It would basically be a challenge to cover many, many more types than usual. Each Pokemon would cover 6 types. Amazing.

Your thoughts? I may not do it, but I'd find it rather fun :D
Old May 3rd, 2012 (05:21 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Jobrjo:
The Ultimate Multi-Type Challenge!

Basically this: You have to beat the game with all of your Pokemon being dual-types and having moves that don't match either type nor each other.
For example, let's say one beat the game with a Venusaur, Charizard, Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgeot, and Fearow. It would have to be something akin to this:

Venusaur :~: Double-Edge, Earthquake, Rock Smash, Sunnyday
Charizard :~: Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw, Slash, Solar Beam
Butterfree :~: Psybeam, Poison Powder, Stun Spore, Safeguard
Beedrill :~: Rage, Assurance, Agility, Solar Beam
Pidgeot :~: Sand-Attack, Twister, Agility, U-turn
Fearow :~: Assurance, Agility, Drill Run, U-turn

Each of those Pokemon are dual-types. Each of their moves are both different from their user's types, as well as different from each other. It would basically be a challenge to cover many, many more types than usual.

Your thoughts? I may not do it, but I'd find it rather fun :D
I made a 'no STAB' challenge, which is essentially this a while ago and it wasn't popular. You could still make it, but that was just my experience. (The challenge was also very tedious for me as well xD)
Old May 3rd, 2012 (07:40 AM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

So in trade corner chat, we came up with an awesome idea that kinda makes challenges and trade corner collaborate. p awesome. Not sure if we'll actually do it, but I'll talk to the mods and see if it can be an option for Get Together, but if not, it could replace the June event I thought of.

pair
Old May 3rd, 2012 (10:53 AM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Care to explain, master syd?
Old May 3rd, 2012 (11:31 AM).

Nature: Careful
I had this idea whilst deciding my team for HeartGold once I get it. As we all know, by the end of the game almost all the time we have 6 pokemon. Now my challenge is that final 6 are the only pokemon you can have. Here's how it would work (I'm going to be testing this challenge when I play HeartGold)

Rule Ideas
  1. You declare the 6 pokemon for the challenge. These pokemon are the final team when you beat the toughest player in the game. You are allowed 1 Ditto outside your team for breeding purposes unless your team already has a Ditto.
  2. Once a Pokemon joins your team, it can't leave. The only exception is Ditto for breeding.
  3. Once all 6 slots are filled, you can't replace the team members.
  4. Due to all games have a starter, that starter must be in your team.
  5. You can add a pokemon to your team the moment it's available in the game or any time after that moment. For example, you can add a Pikachu to your team in FireRed in Viridian Forest and from that point onwards.
  6. No game trading allowed (Moving pokemon between games). Ruins the point of the challenge.
  7. Legendaries are allowed. But be warned as by the point you can capture them in the game, you'd need at least 1 free team slot.
  8. Apart from game trading, you can use anyway to gather pokemon (Gifts, Catching, Ingame trading, Prizes, etc).
Let me give an example. The first 3 team members of my final pokemon team are the following.
  • Feraligator
  • Jolteon
  • Dragonite
Now at the beginning, I would acquire Totodile who evolves into Feraligator at Professor Elm's. However Dratini and Eevee aren't found at the beginning as Dratini is acquired in Goldenrod by the Game Corner and Eevee is acquired from Bill in Goldenrod. So I until Goldenrod city, I would only have Totodile. Therefore I would have to get up to Goldenrod city with Totodile. In Goldenrod, I would have to acquire Dratini and Eevee to add them to my team. From that point, I'd have 3 pokemon in my team.

Anywho, I'd like feedback on this challenge idea

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)