Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Reload this Page Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old May 3rd, 2012 (12:11 PM). Edited May 3rd, 2012 by Alli.
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
That sounds like a normal playthrough for me, honestly, just with a few tweaks. Not really liking it as a challenge. That's not a hard thing to do. :/

Quote:
Care to explain, master syd?
It's kind of a rough draft type deal, cause we didn't work out the kinks, but I'll ask them later. The downside is that you'll need wifi though. We can work out an alternative for older games or ROM players later. But basically, you start off the game like normal and obtain a team of 6 by the 3rd gym. After you defeat 3 gyms, you trade your entire team with someone else. After the next gym, you do the same, but not with the person you traded with before. You can't trade with someone you've already traded with. After you defeat the game, you'll get your original team back and see what became of them. We don't necessarily need Trade Corner collaboration for this, but it'd be nice. Like I said, I'll talk to TC mods about this. There could be other alternatives to it. We shall see.

trade | challenges | vgm | klippy
Old May 5th, 2012 (02:14 PM).
Weedle trainer

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
That sounds like a normal playthrough for me, honestly, just with a few tweaks. Not really liking it as a challenge. That's not a hard thing to do. :/

It's kind of a rough draft type deal, cause we didn't work out the kinks, but I'll ask them later. The downside is that you'll need wifi though. We can work out an alternative for older games or ROM players later. But basically, you start off the game like normal and obtain a team of 6 by the 3rd gym. After you defeat 3 gyms, you trade your entire team with someone else. After the next gym, you do the same, but not with the person you traded with before. You can't trade with someone you've already traded with. After you defeat the game, you'll get your original team back and see what became of them. We don't necessarily need Trade Corner collaboration for this, but it'd be nice. Like I said, I'll talk to TC mods about this. There could be other alternatives to it. We shall see.
I really like this idea, and would probably want to try it out.
Old May 5th, 2012 (03:22 PM).
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

Oh, that's great to hear. :) I was afraid everyone would like...punch me. Like I said, I need to work out options for people that don't want to use BW or DPPT/HGSS. But emulator trading is allowed, so that might work? And I also wanna go over this with trade mods and see if this can be a forum collab. Though if we're gonna make it a collab, we could change it to where you recieve a random team from a trader (all in eggs) and use those. kekeke.

Old May 5th, 2012 (04:08 PM).
Monotype Master
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lax
Oh, that's great to hear. I was afraid everyone would like...punch me. Like I said, I need to work out options for people that don't want to use BW or DPPT/HGSS. But emulator trading is allowed, so that might work? And I also wanna go over this with trade mods and see if this can be a forum collab. Though if we're gonna make it a collab, we could change it to where you recieve a random team from a trader (all in eggs) and use those. kekeke.
how would those with emulators participate?

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old May 5th, 2012 (04:20 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
I love this idea, and am very curious to see how those with emulators could do it.

I have an idea, that could potentially work. Once everyone gets their three badges, they save the ROM and somehow send the SAV file to the moderators or a small board of whoever's running the event. Once the mod has all the SAV files, he/she/they TGBdual/VBAlink trades all the Pokemon to the appropriate person. Then, he just sends the SAV file back to the person who is doing the challenge.

It would take a lot of organization to make sure that the right ROM gets to the right person, but I think it shouldn't be too awful...
Old May 5th, 2012 (04:44 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
I love this idea, and am very curious to see how those with emulators could do it.

I have an idea, that could potentially work. Once everyone gets their three badges, they save the ROM and somehow send the SAV file to the moderators or a small board of whoever's running the event. Once the mod has all the SAV files, he/she/they TGBdual/VBAlink trades all the Pokemon to the appropriate person. Then, he just sends the SAV file back to the person who is doing the challenge.

It would take a lot of organization to make sure that the right ROM gets to the right person, but I think it shouldn't be too awful...
OMG if you could do it like this Syddy, that would be amazing. I don't want to do it on my actual games though because I won't ever start a new game in them. But if it's possible, Myrrh's idea sounds perfect.
Old May 5th, 2012 (05:12 PM).
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

I was just about to say that that idea sounds perfect. However, I am not skilled with emulators, and personally, I'd use a real cartridge since I like keeping my challenge Pokemon. But I do think that'll work. :) As long as we have a good explanation of how to do it and good leadership and honest participants, I don't think it should be hard. Let's just hope the people from last year don't enter. Plus, with this kind of event, we don't have winners and losers (I really dislike competition to be quite honest with you) and as long as you attempt it, even if your trader might fail you, you still get your prize for your efforts.

Old May 5th, 2012 (06:36 PM).
Crystal Tier

Is there a way we can filter out some of the potential "just signer-upers" out of the challenge? The only thing I can think of is having a requirement of having done X amount of challenges beforehand, but then again, that excludes potential new challenge regulars from participating.
Old May 5th, 2012 (06:43 PM).
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

That and I really wouldn't feel like sifting through the challenges they've done to see if they were active. But I think, if we run into that kind of problem, they could find someone else to trade with, and if not, I can be the designated person to go to, or something like that. Thinking about this more, we don't necessarily need Trade Corner collaboration, but me and Blade thought it'd be fun. However, I'd only really want reputable traders, because like with the "i want the emblem" challengers, there are traders that are...blah. lol

Old May 5th, 2012 (08:39 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

I was just about to say that that idea sounds perfect. However, I am not skilled with emulators, and personally, I'd use a real cartridge since I like keeping my challenge Pokemon. But I do think that'll work. As long as we have a good explanation of how to do it and good leadership and honest participants, I don't think it should be hard. Let's just hope the people from last year don't enter. Plus, with this kind of event, we don't have winners and losers (I really dislike competition to be quite honest with you) and as long as you attempt it, even if your trader might fail you, you still get your prize for your efforts.
I would be glad to help. I am quite well versed in Emulator use. This is quite exciting now.
Old May 5th, 2012 (08:45 PM).
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

Since you came up with that great suggestion, I was gonna ask you to do so anyway haha. I'm really hoping this goes over better than last year's event. It wasn't bad, but it was pretty rough, which is why I didn't wanna do it again. Icky.

Though, idk why they make Get Together last like...three days. They always end up extending it. They might as well make GT last at least a week. lmao

Old May 5th, 2012 (09:56 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Yeah, a week would be fantastic. Its not like we're using any resources that cost us extra the longer we keep it going. Plus, a week is just a good, even time to do stuff.

Also, when is the gettogether this year? Last year it was in Mid July, if I remember correctly, because I was in the hospital, and I got out the 22ndish. And then I went back for completely unrelated reasons. Last summer was not good for my health.
Old May 6th, 2012 (03:12 PM).
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

tbh, I'm not sure. A planning forum usually appears when it's closer and you can post your draft for your event in there to be approved. I haven't heard any admins talk about it either, so idk. Probably mid-July again?

Old May 7th, 2012 (04:01 AM).
Crystal Tier

I think a week is like needed for challenge events. Especially if I end up working on those days, it'll be very hard to make time for it. Also Roxanne was hell in my Swablu solo challenge. X-Attack and Sing ftw.
Old May 7th, 2012 (04:13 AM).
I've got new kidneys!
Silver Tier

Location: The planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous
Hating my "Set" challenge at the moment. I don't raise full teams, I never have raised a full team ever. The most i've ever used is 4 pokemon. I don't like full teams. For the sole reason that there is never enough trainers to grind on, especially in Kanto.

I've been here 6 years... Wow I'm old.
Old May 7th, 2012 (07:04 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by The Opera Ghost:
Hating my "Set" challenge at the moment. I don't raise full teams, I never have raised a full team ever. The most i've ever used is 4 pokemon. I don't like full teams. For the sole reason that there is never enough trainers to grind on, especially in Kanto.
Really? I always use full teams because then it gives me the chance to use even more Pokémon which almost always makes it funner! You can always train on wild Pokémon so the only real annoying thing is HMs.
Old May 7th, 2012 (07:45 AM).
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

I can't stand not having a full team, or well, at least ending the game with one. I'll usually catch what I want on my final team and only train those till I meet my next member, then the next, and eventually all my spots are filled. I use the Slowflake method lol. I don't use repels, I battle all the wild Pokemon, I battle all the trainers, I don't train things that don't need to be trained, etc. So it leaves out grinding in most games, which is nice.

Old May 7th, 2012 (09:50 AM).
Weedle trainer

Lol, I hate having a full team. In Pearl I had a team of 6, and everyone was underleveled. Then I discovered how amazing it was to have a partial team in HeartGold, where I had 4. Then in Black I had 2. I actually really enjoyed it, because you could level your guys faster to get the good moves, and you can bring HM slaves in the empty slots.
Old May 7th, 2012 (09:57 AM).
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

I've done trio and duo challenges before, and I loved that I didn't have to grind, but I didn't like the lack of variety on my team. I find 5 workable, but it ends up bugging me in the long run haha.

Old May 7th, 2012 (11:25 AM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Full teams are such a pain. I'm used to beating games with 1 to 3 Pokemon tops. Anymore is just a waste of exp.

I was thinking: Each person starts with their original team and goes 3 badges in. Then there are a total of 6 trades, until they get their final team for the E4. So, it would be nice if we had multiples of 6 people doing the challenge. It would make it nice and easy to keep organized. So would we rather have like 5 people standing by and have them fill in space as needed, or would we rather just wing it and try to make everything work?

Double also, I think it would be a good idea to take this for a test run before we actually do it for the Get Together. Try to work out all the kinks and stuff so we don't mess something up when it matters. Good idea yes?
Old May 7th, 2012 (11:55 AM).
I've got new kidneys!
Silver Tier

Can I be a part of the Get Together helping comitee or something? And yeah, full teams = waste of exp. I think 3 is the magic number

Old May 7th, 2012 (11:58 AM).
Monotype Master
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
Full teams are such a pain. I'm used to beating games with 1 to 3 Pokemon tops. Anymore is just a waste of exp.

I was thinking: Each person starts with their original team and goes 3 badges in. Then there are a total of 6 trades, until they get their final team for the E4. So, it would be nice if we had multiples of 6 people doing the challenge. It would make it nice and easy to keep organized. So would we rather have like 5 people standing by and have them fill in space as needed, or would we rather just wing it and try to make everything work?

Double also, I think it would be a good idea to take this for a test run before we actually do it for the Get Together. Try to work out all the kinks and stuff so we don't mess something up when it matters. Good idea yes?
Nice idea. Count me in. I guess we should put together a "challenge" post for it?

Also, because we're trading, experience is boosted, right? So it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Although all I have are emulators...

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old May 7th, 2012 (12:09 PM).
staaaaay fresh!
Super ModeratorCS

Quote:

Multiples of 6 would be good yeah. Hopefully if anything gets out of line though, either me or you could handle it, me for real copies and you for ROMs. A test run would be a good idea, my only concern is that once people do the challenge, they'll be less fired up to do it for GT, unless we only allow a certain number of people that we know will end up doing the actual GT run. Guinea pigs kekeke. If you want, we can work on a rough draft for the test run via PM.

Quote:
Can I be a part of the Get Together helping comitee or something? And yeah, full teams = waste of exp. I think 3 is the magic number
I kinda hate when people ask this, tbh. It makes me feel bad, because I know I can't pick all of you to help with it, plus I haven't really worked with you much in the past like I have with Myrrh. I appreciate it, but no thanks.

Old May 7th, 2012 (12:38 PM).
I've got new kidneys!
Silver Tier

Don't worry thats fine, just wanted to know so I could plan my time.

Old May 7th, 2012 (01:35 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="2"]

Multiples of 6 would be good yeah. Hopefully if anything gets out of line though, either me or you could handle it, me for real copies and you for ROMs. A test run would be a good idea, my only concern is that once people do the challenge, they'll be less fired up to do it for GT, unless we only allow a certain number of people that we know will end up doing the actual GT run. Guinea pigs kekeke. If you want, we can work on a rough draft for the test run via PM.
Yeah, PM away. And I too was thinking about just having some of the regulars test it (maybe just like one set of 6 or something?) to make sure it works out and everything. I could totally see something happening like one gym is a lot shorter than the others and we need to combine them or something (Such as Red and Blue, between the 7th and 8th Gyms) (Gold and Silver, between the 5th and 6th Gyms) (Ruby and Sapphire, between the 4th and 5th Gyms)), and we might want to just combine that with the previous or next gym length. Also, we would need to select a game I guess.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)