Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Reload this Page Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old May 7th, 2012 (11:29 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
Yeah, PM away. And I too was thinking about just having some of the regulars test it (maybe just like one set of 6 or something?) to make sure it works out and everything. I could totally see something happening like one gym is a lot shorter than the others and we need to combine them or something (Such as Red and Blue, between the 7th and 8th Gyms) (Gold and Silver, between the 5th and 6th Gyms) (Ruby and Sapphire, between the 4th and 5th Gyms)), and we might want to just combine that with the previous or next gym length. Also, we would need to select a game I guess.
If you guys do a test run on an emulator, I'd be happy to be a guinea pig. I think we should do either a generation II because of all the trade evolution Pokémon in it.
Old May 13th, 2012 (11:31 PM).
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hardy
Gah, I wish that rl things wouldn't cause me to randomly poof from PC for long periods of time. :l Anyway, since school is pretty much wrapping up now, I should be around more often and getting back into the swing of challenges pretty soon.

Now I'm really glad I made that list of challenges and whatnot a month or so ago. Just so I can remember where I left off.

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
Old May 14th, 2012 (02:02 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by InfernoRogue:
Gah, I wish that rl things wouldn't cause me to randomly poof from PC for long periods of time. :l Anyway, since school is pretty much wrapping up now, I should be around more often and getting back into the swing of challenges pretty soon.

Now I'm really glad I made that list of challenges and whatnot a month or so ago. Just so I can remember where I left off.
Good to see you're back!

This Swablu solo is very interesting. I'm really annoyed about its Hidden Power. I was hoping for fire, electric, ground, fighting or something and I ended up with flying... so there's no extra coverage there.
Old May 14th, 2012 (02:17 PM).
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
Ohhhh that sucks. I had a similar problem with a Pokemon before. I can't remember which one it was though. All I know is that it was Flying with Flying HP. I wasn't too thrilled. lol

paired to klippy
Old May 14th, 2012 (02:21 PM).
Crystal Tier

I'm worried about Steven's Metagross, I think I'm going to have to spam X Attacks while Skarmory is out and hope for the best. This is one of the few times where I have ever used battle items actually.
Old May 14th, 2012 (03:01 PM).
Weedle trainer

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
Ohhhh that sucks. I had a similar problem with a Pokemon before. I can't remember which one it was though. All I know is that it was Flying with Flying HP. I wasn't too thrilled. lol
Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
I'm worried about Steven's Metagross, I think I'm going to have to spam X Attacks while Skarmory is out and hope for the best. This is one of the few times where I have ever used battle items actually.
I like how u guys are just Jolteon and Vaporeon, makes me want to switch my avatar to Flareon. Battle Items are amazingly helpful for soloing with a weak pokemon, I couldn't have gotten anywhere near as far as I have with Weedle without them. When I fought Steven I used 6 X Attacks and around 4 X Defends I think. Skarmory was just hitting for almost nothing each turn so I didn't have to worry about that. He was super-effective against me too, he won't even have that against you. Also, use Dire Hit. It doesn't really seem like it would help but every time I use it I get multiple critical hits in a battle, it's kind of ridiculous.
Old May 14th, 2012 (03:08 PM).
Super ModeratorCS

Yes, those X items are really useful for those kinds of challenges. I haven't done a solo with something that weak, but I did do a challenge where I had an UNOWN. So...it was needed...badly...

paired to klippy
Old May 16th, 2012 (04:53 AM).
Crystal Tier

I ended up using a few X items against Steven in my Swablu solo. But it feels good to finally have it done!
Old May 16th, 2012 (05:19 PM). Edited May 16th, 2012 by Enigma.
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hardy
Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
I ended up using a few X items against Steven in my Swablu solo. But it feels good to finally have it done!
Congrats! Speaking of challenges, I think I'll be getting back to them on Friday. Well, I have one challenge in particular that I have to work on before all the others. ;)

A thread title dedicated to me? Aww, thanks. x)

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
Old May 17th, 2012 (01:17 AM).
Me!

Nature: Lonely
About the Hidden power thing, same happened to me, also Flying on a flying type. it was a Gyarados 8). It pretty much KILLED everything with HP Flying and Dragon dance!
Old May 17th, 2012 (01:27 AM).
Crystal Tier

Now I have to think of another challenge for me to do during class... any ideas?

Also happy birthday for yesterday Inferno!
Old May 17th, 2012 (07:53 AM).
Super ModeratorCS

Yeah I'll leave the title for a little longer since I changed it so late, haha. And HP Flying on Gyarados in gen II or III is nice since it's physical STAB, so you lucked out there. XD

paired to klippy
Old May 17th, 2012 (02:20 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
Yeah I'll leave the title for a little longer since I changed it so late, haha. And HP Flying on Gyarados in gen II or III is nice since it's physical STAB, so you lucked out there. XD
What will the next title be then? :P

HP can be vital in monotypes as well, I need my HP water on Sunflora in my Grass monotype.
Old May 17th, 2012 (02:31 PM).
Super ModeratorCS

It can be "Klippy Is A Stalker" because he was looking at my challenge and corrected my typos lol. :'(

paired to klippy
Old May 18th, 2012 (05:15 AM).

Nature: Careful
I had another idea for a challenge. Hopefully this idea is better than my previous idea lol. I call it the "Cute" challenge. In this challenge, you can only use pokemon that look adoreable. (For example, out of kanto starters, you can only choose Charmander or Squirtle). You can't evolve Pokemon if their next evolution isn't adorable (For example, you can't evolve a Caterpie into a Metapod. So if you want a Butterfree you have to find it and catch it). Trading between games isn't allowed with the exception of evolving of course. Ingame trading is allowed provided the pokemon you trade is in the challenge.

I best give an example for this. In Red/Blue, you'd only be able to use the following (In total, 39/150)

Spoiler:

• Charmander
  • Squirtle
  • Caterpie
  • Butterfree
  • Pikachu
  • Raichu
  • Sandshrew
  • Nidoran(s)
  • Clefairy
  • Clefable
  • Vulpix
  • Ninetables
  • Jigglypuff
  • Wigglytuff
  • Oddish
  • Vileplume
  • Paras
  • Venonat
  • Psyduck
  • Poliwag
  • Bellsprout
  • Ponyta
  • Rapidash
  • Slowpoke
  • Slowbro
  • Seel
  • Dewgong
  • Shellder
  • Chansey
  • Horsea
  • Goldeen
  • Ditto
  • Eevee
  • Flareon
  • Articuno
  • Dratini
  • Dragonair
  • Dragonite
  • Mew

Again, not too fussed if the idea is rejected, but once again, I'd like feedback as to why if it's rejected
Old May 18th, 2012 (05:34 AM).
and it's called black magic
Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
I've finally nearly finished a challenge. ;o; I haven't in a while. The personality challenge is really hard, given the Pokemon I have to use. ): RED IS SO HARD TO DEFEAT WITH LEVEL 45-55 HATE EVERYTHING ;;;
Old May 18th, 2012 (08:23 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Tetiro:
I had another idea for a challenge. Hopefully this idea is better than my previous idea lol. I call it the "Cute" challenge. In this challenge, you can only use pokemon that look adoreable. (For example, out of kanto starters, you can only choose Charmander or Squirtle). You can't evolve Pokemon if their next evolution isn't adorable (For example, you can't evolve a Caterpie into a Metapod. So if you want a Butterfree you have to find it and catch it). Trading between games isn't allowed with the exception of evolving of course. Ingame trading is allowed provided the pokemon you trade is in the challenge.

I best give an example for this. In Red/Blue, you'd only be able to use the following (In total, 39/150)

Spoiler:

• Charmander
  • Squirtle
  • Caterpie
  • Butterfree
  • Pikachu
  • Raichu
  • Sandshrew
  • Nidoran(s)
  • Clefairy
  • Clefable
  • Vulpix
  • Ninetables
  • Jigglypuff
  • Wigglytuff
  • Oddish
  • Vileplume
  • Paras
  • Venonat
  • Psyduck
  • Poliwag
  • Bellsprout
  • Ponyta
  • Rapidash
  • Slowpoke
  • Slowbro
  • Seel
  • Dewgong
  • Shellder
  • Chansey
  • Horsea
  • Goldeen
  • Ditto
  • Eevee
  • Flareon
  • Articuno
  • Dratini
  • Dragonair
  • Dragonite
  • Mew

Again, not too fussed if the idea is rejected, but once again, I'd like feedback as to why if it's rejected
One big thing I don't like about this idea is if a Pokémon is thought of as cute or not. Everyone has different opinions, for example I find Pidgey to be a cute Pokémon, but it's not on your list and really, any Pokémon can be thought of as cute.
Old May 18th, 2012 (08:26 AM).
Super ModeratorCS

^ Yeah. I unapproved a cute challenge before because people have different ideas of cute. Like in DP when you can only take cute Pokemon for a walk in the park, but that's only like 6 or 7 Pokemon, which of course, there are more than that that are cute.

paired to klippy
Old May 18th, 2012 (08:43 AM).
Me!

I find Spearow a lot cuter than Pidgey, but I guess I'm just different . Also, RIOLU<3
Old May 18th, 2012 (08:51 AM).
Super ModeratorCS

I think most Ghost-types are cute, which a lot of people would disagree with haha. :( So see, I would be sad if I can't use my pretty Duskull or a cutie pop Yamask.

paired to klippy
Old May 18th, 2012 (09:07 AM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Yeah, I find Seaking much cuter than like a Caterpie or Venonat. And where's Growlithe? Also, would legendaries be allowed in your challenge? That would further narrow down the list, as would unavailability of some Pokemon (have to choose which starter, Sandshrew and Vulpix aren't in the same version as Oddish, Butterfree/Vileplume aren't in the wild, etc.)

I like the idea for the challenge, but due to varying ideas of 'cute', and the somewhat small pool of Pokemon, I don't really see it as that viable.

As for how to fix the first point, maybe use the list of Pokemon usable in the Petit Cup? Not exactly the same thing as cute, but kind of close...
Old May 19th, 2012 (01:06 AM). Edited May 19th, 2012 by Tetiro.

Nature: Careful
I didn't actually take different opinions into consideration *facepalm*

Could someone describe what a Petit Cup is?

EDIT: Nvm, found out what it is. And actually, that seems like a much better challenge that what I first had in mind. All that needs to be done is follow these rules

• No evolutions
  • Pokemon must be shorter than 6'8" (aka, 2m)
  • Pokemon must be lighter than 44 lbs (aka, 20kg)
Looking at the bulbapedia page about the Petit Cup, there were 45 pokemon available. Of course I'd include Legendaries if they met the rules. But what do people think about the Petit Cup challenge?
Old May 19th, 2012 (03:19 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Tetiro:
I didn't actually take different opinions into consideration *facepalm*

Could someone describe what a Petit Cup is?

EDIT: Nvm, found out what it is. And actually, that seems like a much better challenge that what I first had in mind. All that needs to be done is follow these rules

• No evolutions
  • Pokemon must be shorter than 6'8" (aka, 2m)
  • Pokemon must be lighter than 44 lbs (aka, 20kg)
Looking at the bulbapedia page about the Petit Cup, there were 45 pokemon available. Of course I'd include Legendaries if they met the rules. But what do people think about the Petit Cup challenge?
I think that it sounds like a reasonable challenge then except legendaries shouldn't be allowed because it makes them too easy.
Old May 19th, 2012 (08:23 AM).
Me!

Well, I would just allow legendaries. People who think it is unfair just will not use them, while people who want to still can. It just fits more peoples opinions then.
Old May 19th, 2012 (08:58 AM).
Super ModeratorCS

^ That's what I was thinking to. It bugs me that most challenges don't allow them. I know it's a challenge, but in the cases where you get to pick your teams, it'd be nice if you could at least have one legendary. Like if I did a mono-ice run in Emerald, I wouldn't be able to use Regice. I love Regice, and it's an Ice type, one of the few in the game, shouldn't I be able to use it? Maybe legendaries under a certain BST? idk.

paired to klippy
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links