The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old Posted August 29th, 2012 (06:07 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
I've gotten much better over time about saving space in my bag, since I play Red and Blue almost exclusively, bag space is a real problem. Nowadays, I sometimes get full with Fire Blast from Blaine, and then I can't get Fissure from Giovanni, but I almost never have TMs left in my bag that aren't from a Gym Leader.
Old Posted September 3rd, 2012 (11:53 AM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Something I've noticed when I do challenges in R/B/Y is that I always seem to end up with a full bag in the SS. Anne. Unless of course I've emptied it out before then (which I never really have).
Old Posted September 3rd, 2012 (07:06 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

I usually only buy 2 Pokeballs from the Viridian Mart, which I use on a Spearow and whichever my first Pokemon is, some Potions, Bide, Escape Rope, Rare Candy, Fossil, Nugget, SS Ticket, Bubblebeam (sometimes used), and Dig (sometimes used). So at the most, I guess I just have 9 items when I get on da boat.
Old Posted September 3rd, 2012 (07:14 PM).
Sydian
revolution

Nature: Timid
WAIT did I miss something is there a challenge based on bag spacw?! wait no i did approve something today with that rule...okay nevermind carry on. lmao

Play the game to change the game
Old Posted September 3rd, 2012 (07:36 PM).
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
I was thinking about a challenge thread where each challanger is six Pokémon each with their restrictions (like one Pokémon must solo a Gym Leader to evolve, another must keep certain move in move at all times, and another must battle 10 trainers to evolve, and then solo a gym leader to evolve again). Each person would suggest one Pokémon for a challenger, and the challenger would have the ultimate say over what challenges they took. Does this sound like good idea? I've seen this idea done on another forum, but I don't know if it would be considered too similar to the Random Pokémon Challenge. So what do you guys think?
Old Posted September 3rd, 2012 (07:53 PM).
Sydian
revolution

It sounds kind of like a scramble challenge, which you get to pick your team (if I'm not mistaken) and other challengers will choose the restriction it has, though usually the restriction isn't evolving by fighting a gym leader. That's not similar to the random challenge at all though, lol. Just reminds me of a scramble.

Old Posted September 3rd, 2012 (08:24 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nah, we just started about TM hoarding, which got me bragging talking about saving bagspace. And I think I'd be pretty good at that challenge if there was one, I've played RB enough to know where all the items I need are.
Old Posted September 10th, 2012 (06:59 AM).
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
I thought a challenge where your team must all at least evolve from baby pokemon could be interesting. What do you guys think?
Old Posted September 10th, 2012 (08:59 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

We've had a couple threads go through where you just used baby Pokemon, but I don't think we've had one where you're supposed to evolve said baby Pokemon. That being said, I would almost just do it as an Egg Group Challenge, since 13/18 of the baby Pokemon are either in the Fairy Egg Group (7), or Human-like Egg Group (6)
Old Posted September 10th, 2012 (04:37 PM).
Sydian
revolution

But not all baby Pokemon come from the same Egg Group, I don't think. I think it could go as its own challenge, however it's a bit restrictive and a lot of people are gonna have similar teams which is always kinda meh. Diversity is good you know. There was also a challenge where the challenger gave away 6 random eggs and she had a theme for each team. I got the team that was all baby Pokemon actually, lol. Using babies SUCKS.

Old Posted September 10th, 2012 (06:37 PM).
Chrysogenum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
But not all baby Pokemon come from the same Egg Group, I don't think. I think it could go as its own challenge, however it's a bit restrictive and a lot of people are gonna have similar teams which is always kinda meh. Diversity is good you know. There was also a challenge where the challenger gave away 6 random eggs and she had a theme for each team. I got the team that was all baby Pokemon actually, lol. Using babies SUCKS.
Laura's eggy challenge or whatever you called it? It actually looked kinda fun
Especially the messed up egg run
Either way, Magby and Elekid don't suck
The rest on the other hand ...

Challenges I'm doing:
- Duo Run : Magmar / Electabuzz
- Rescue Team Challenge - RRT / Normal

Old Posted September 10th, 2012 (06:42 PM).
Sydian
revolution

Yes, that's the one. And I had a Magby actually, which was the best thing I had haha. I don't remember anything else, but I know Bonsly was alright. BUT HAPPINY. UGH. And even after evolving...UGH. I ended up quitting in favor of starting our Halloween event last year, and I needed to use my Black version sooo yeah. lol Speaking of events, I hope everyone's ready for the GTX event!

Old Posted September 10th, 2012 (10:38 PM).
11wildy
Me!

Nature: Lonely
OMGOSH EVENT, WHEN WHEN WHEN. And, more important, can I monotype it? :3
Old Posted September 11th, 2012 (05:26 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Quote:
Right, but like I said, a good 2/3 of them come from one of two egg groups. And yeah, having only like 18 to choose from is quite a bit restrictive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11wildy View Post
GTX is uhhhhh the 24th? Whenever the banner on the homepage says it is. I'm assuming the challenge event will need to run the whole time, as it does take people a little longer to run through a challenge than to uhhhhhh play a round of iSketch. And yeah, I guess you could monotype it, if you really wanted to.
Old Posted September 11th, 2012 (05:29 AM).
Chrysogenum

Will it be a time trial like it was last time?

Challenges I'm doing:

Old Posted September 11th, 2012 (09:13 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nope! Its a completely different kind of challenge, the likes of which have never been seen on this board. There are going to be two different types (Syd and I are co-running the event, but it sort of turned into us doing two different challenges lol). I'm not going to say anything else past that, though! You'll just have to wait until GTX starts!
Old Posted September 11th, 2012 (04:36 PM).
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

I had an idea for a challenge recently so here goes:
It would be called the Rare Pokemon Challenge or something and basically, the first pokemon you encounter on a route you have to catch. But, if you encounter a pokemon on that route that's rarer, you must ditch the previous pokemon and use that pokemon (etc, etc) No repels allowed and probably no fly, as that makes the event of finding a new rarer pokemon less likely (for when you backtrack) and of course no capturing a pokemon that's less rare or of equal rarity to the pokemon you have. (in events where there's only one of a pokemon species available (i.e. hoenn route 101 with the starters) you have to use it, and any shinies MUST be used as they're as rare as you get)

So what do you guys think? :D
Old Posted September 11th, 2012 (05:40 PM).
Chrysogenum

Not really that challenging imo
I can just run around until I get that particular rare Pokemon (since it'll most likely be better than the very common ones) and no Fly is just a nuisance, at least for the reasons you presented.

Challenges I'm doing:

Old Posted September 11th, 2012 (06:09 PM).
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

^^Well it becomes challenging if say you get stuck with a surskit or a dunsparce or something. And I think my fly rule makes sense, it gives you more of the challenge... (it could be optional) Anyway, this was just my most basic idea.
Old Posted September 11th, 2012 (07:34 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Mehhhh. You only have 6 slots, so even if you got stuck with a Surskit, you could just catch something on another route and replace it if you don't want it. And I agree, no fly is more painful than its worth. Not that many games require excessive backtracking through grass (many make you backtrack through water, but oh no, you're probably going to get a Tentacool.
Old Posted September 11th, 2012 (08:22 PM).
Sydian
revolution

Quote:
Not...really hahaha. You could try, but...well, we'll just say it won't always be monotype. Till the end. Maybe. Meow!

And ummm not really understanding this rare Pokemon challenge, lol. But honestly, after spending hours searching for Riolu and Eevee in Black 2, I don't think I ever want to torture myself by searching for Pokemon with 5% encounter rate ever again. So if the point of the challenge is to find the least common Pokemon on the route, that's more tedious than challenging. idk how catching the first thing you find on the route is a challenge though? There are some challenges that have you do that, but that doesn't make sense to call it a rare Pokemon challenge. Umm...I'm tired so maybe I'm misunderstanding things hahaha. GOOD NIGHT!!

Old Posted September 11th, 2012 (09:26 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Why is everyone hating on Surskit? Masquerain is totally awesome!

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old Posted September 11th, 2012 (11:26 PM).
SuperKirbyFan
Weedle trainer

Quote:
But honestly, after spending hours searching for Riolu and Eevee in Black 2, I don't think I ever want to torture myself by searching for Pokemon with 5% encounter rate ever again.
Try EV training over 170 points off of a 20% encounter rate without the use of power items, macho brace, or pokerus. That was torture (This was in my Weedle Sapphire Solo). No speed button either, it was on cartridge.
Old Posted September 12th, 2012 (04:03 AM).
Chrysogenum

Quote:
- snip -
In all fairness, all the challenges with the catch the first mon (only) rule are either limiting your team or making you use Pokemon you never used before and they always have a side rule to help to make it challenging

But now I'm curious, I was doing a Duo Species and the grinding was so tedious and I got this question, what do you guys think of using cheats and other 'illegal' means (such as rare candies, X5 exp,lvl 100 enemies with lvl 3 defenses to level up quickly?)to speed up grinding on challenges? Quite frankly I don't think it's too much of a deal unless you're doing a run that depends on time or on the faint = permadeath idea, because otherwise you're just speeding up a boring process

Challenges I'm doing:

Old Posted September 12th, 2012 (05:52 AM).
Sydian
revolution

Quote:
But now I'm curious, I was doing a Duo Species and the grinding was so tedious and I got this question, what do you guys think of using cheats and other 'illegal' means (such as rare candies, X5 exp,lvl 100 enemies with lvl 3 defenses to level up quickly?)to speed up grinding on challenges? Quite frankly I don't think it's too much of a deal unless you're doing a run that depends on time or on the faint = permadeath idea, because otherwise you're just speeding up a boring process
That'd be boring and I wouldn't allow it, really. What would be the point of the challenge if you could just cheat and gain levels so quickly? I think it's fine if you're on an emulator to use the space bar and speed up the game, but that's not altering the exp gain or anything really. Rare Candy is fine as long as it's not hacked in by the dozens haha. I mean, I Pickup grind Rare Candy when I do challenges on RS, but that still takes a while. I don't even use them till the end anyway, so eh.

Quote:
In all fairness, all the challenges with the catch the first mon (only) rule are either limiting your team or making you use Pokemon you never used before and they always have a side rule to help to make it challenging
But that's the point of them. That's their way of being challengeing. I have no problem with the baby Pokemon challenge, even though it's restricting, if that's what you're pining at.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links