The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:02 PM
11wildy
Me!

Nature: Lonely
You could of course merge the two and put them in one thread? :3 And welcome back Honeyman (saying honey kind of sounds weird... xp). I do remember you!
Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

I had some ideas to make a NFE Challenge better. Don't want to make the thread myself. Maybe My ideas have been done before, plus I'm playing a ROM with a Randomizer. Lots of fun.

Not Fully Evolved Challenge

*Not Fully Evolved Pokemon Only (pokemon effected by evolite)

*Basic Stage Pokemon can't evolve until Lv.35 (baby pokemon aren't effected)

*No Stat Boosting Items like Evolite, Light Ball, Thick Club, etc.

*Pokemon that do not evolve can be used IF their base stats are very low. Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, Mawile etc. Such Pokemon must be approved individually until a complete list is made.

The one problem I see with a NFE Challenge is that you don't feel the limitation of the challenge until the Late Game when you should fave fully evolved Pokemon. Basically, the challenge doesn’t start till Victory Road.

Adding the "Lv35 Rule" should make the challenge start sooner. The exact level might need to be changed, but it is still a good idea. Lv.35 is around the time when most starters evolve into their final form, this is when your Squirtle would evolve into Warturtle.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:54 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

Nature: Timid
Quote:
The one problem I see with a NFE Challenge is that you don't feel the limitation of the challenge until the Late Game when you should fave fully evolved Pokemon. Basically, the challenge doesn’t start till Victory Road.
I disagree, actually. I did the Christian Challenge, which you could essentially call a variation on an NFE since you can't evolve, but I started feeling the burn around gym 4. I did mine in Hoenn. So I don't think the 35 level rule would be necessary, but optional instead. It also depends on your team, which at that point in the game, I had...nothing to write home about, honestly. I think at that point, I didn't have my desired team and I was soloing with Torchic, and it was still tough.

...I felt the burn at gym 4 in Hoenn...Flannery's gym...I see what I did there.

paired to peeta
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:44 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowpointQuincy View Post
*Basic Stage Pokemon can't evolve until Lv.35 (baby pokemon aren't effected)

*Pokemon that do not evolve can be used IF their base stats are very low. Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, Mawile etc. Such Pokemon must be approved individually until a complete list is made.
An easier is way to regulate this is to simply create a total-stat benchmark. For example:

Start: Only pokemon with total stats 330 and below are allowed until the next badge
After acquiring 1st badge: those with 340 and below are now allowed until the next badge
2nd badge: 350
8th badge: 410 and above

410 is actually a decent stat limit. Most of your starters, when evolved, have total stats around this number. If 410 isn't satisfying enough, add +15 instead per badge acquired(8th badge = 450 and above). This way, trainers can evolve their starters much earlier.

This makes it easier to explain and force players to only evolve their pokemon at certain points in the game.

Quote:
Depends on what pokemon are being used, really. Some are plain too good/strong for as early as the game starts, while some are horrible all the way (like uh, bugs).

edit: O_o thank god for the automated system. lags created so much spam.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.

Last edited by molivious; July 3rd, 2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 5th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

Hope you guys are finding some fun GT events. :) psst there's a link to mine in my sig!! Just a reminder that next month is when the next challenge event will be, and there is an extra surprise in it. <3

Edit: Oh apparently I didn't save my sig when I added them OOPS. Well you'll see them in the GT forum. Bug Catching Contest and Secret Base Contest. :3

paired to peeta
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:43 PM
11wildy
Me!

Well great, I won't be there next month due to holidays. Finally we get a challenge event and I can't even do it :(

I was thinking about making a challenge where you play a different set of rules between each gym. For example:
Firstly, from the start up to gym 1, you would need to play by monotype rules.
Secondly, from gym 2 to gym 3, you would play nuzlocke rules.

This could of course be chosen by the player, or randomized.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Last edited by Sydian; July 6th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

I like that idea. idk why, but it makes me think of a relay race or a triathlon, though with those it's only three events, but still. And aww that's a shame you won't be around. :( I'm gonna be busy a lot next month too, but the challenge ties in with next month so it's gonna be the only time it's acceptable to post. >.<

paired to peeta
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Lost Christmas
Break it back down!
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
It's nice to see my Eliminationlocke and Wedlocke doing okay, it would be nice to see a few more sign ups though. I love adaptations of the Nuzlocke which gives the challenge a whole new level of difficulty and anyone who likes a challenge should definitely come check out the Eliminationlocke in particular :D

Old July 7th, 2013, 01:18 AM
11wildy
Me!

Oh well, I guess I won't post my challenge, as I have only 2 weeks before holiday >.<

And Sydian, I figured out that I'll be back halfway through the month, so if I'll hurry I might be able to do the event still! ;D
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

Adam, I like that your Nuzlockes aren't carbon copies of the original. I've been getting so many submissions of Nuzlocke variants that are barely different or could easily be incorporated into the one we already have. And it's just...ugh I swear that's almost all the challenges I've seen waiting on approval lately.

Wildy, I'm hoping you can join in! And I'm looking forward to you posting that challenge as well.

So what's everyone been doing for GT? I'm hosting my two events of course, but I also entered the Trade Corner raffle that I'm totally not gonna win cause I'm not doing any of the tasks lol...even though some of the tasks include getting badges in challenges. I also posted my entry for the singing contest. ^o^

paired to peeta
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:11 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I keep being lazy for posting my entry for the singing contest :[

Until when is the contest open?
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I must be one of the only people who don't see the charm in doing nuzlockes. Maybe because while I do like doing challenges as something different games I don't really like to challenge myself. So seeing all these nuzlockes make me sad because that is less for me to choose from for challenges.

Also I wish I could post about my firered challenge but the challenge's thread here is set up in a way where I can't post in it.

I did almost nothing for the Get Together. Rarely do because of laziness but maybe one day I'll participate in more than one thing/do more than host.

you are wonderful
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:21 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

In Nuzlockes, you mean the one where if your Pokemon faints, you can't use them anymore?
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

It's okay, Tara. I don't do Nuzlockes either. I like more gimmicky challenges where I use things I wouldn't normally take while not having to change my play style too drastically. Nuzlocke goes against how I play and while I know it's meant to be challenging and such, I just can't deal with the losing Pokemon thing. lol

And go post your entry, Liljz! You have till July 10th, I believe.

paired to peeta
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

If there are any other nuzlockes I haven't really seen them, but yeah. I'm terrible with keeping my Pokemon alive when I normally play so a nuzlocke would be absolutely terrible. Plus the fact that half the time I hate grinding in my Pokemon games.

Gimmicky challenges are fun! Those are the ones I normally used to look at and go 'man I wish I could do this'. Luckily I don't really have that problem anymore since I decided to suck it up and use ROMs when I could.

you are wonderful
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

I have only used a ROM for a challenge once, and that was for the St. Patrick's Day even in 2011. It being the first event, I went nuts and decided to play Emerald and Gold. I played Gold on an emulator because a lot of green Pokemon I wanted had to be hacked in, so yeah. It was fun! Wish I could still play that file, but my PC has gone to crap unfortunately. And MacBook's don't have any good emulators. But other than that, I've done all my challenges on real cartridges. :)

paired to peeta
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:47 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Yikes, I hope my parents aren't home tomorrow so I can record myself. I usually don't do singing videos... but I'll do it for PC ^-^'

And until now I did all of my challenges on real cartridges too. I don't like the idea of using roms =/
If I ever get second copies of Gen IV games and Gen V games, I'll do challenges on them. Because right now, I only have one cartrdige of Pokemon HG, Diamond & White. And I don't wanna erase all of my saved file since I invested so much time in them and my Pokemon. I just wouldn't feel comfortable deleting all the Pokemon I shared my time with.
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

I didn't like the idea of using ROMs either which is why I avoided using them. Because of that I remember having to miss out on the St. Patrick's event because I had no extra cartridges. I still don't other than FireRed (though I might restart my Ruby after transferring Pokemon onto SoulSilver. Not sure yet. Also my White has also become a restarting cartridge because meh Unova) but after playing the Valentines one on Crystal on the ROM on my phone I was more okay with it. Wish I could play HeartGold on my phone but oh well.

If I had the money though, I would buy extra cartridges as well as a Sinnoh game again (I lost both of mine what luck). But I'm poor and when I do have money the version I want heartgold likes to elude me.

you are wonderful
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

I wanted to record when no one was home, but I had to suck it up and do it when they were. I don't think they heard...lol

And yeah, I have extra copies of games, usually two extras in each gen...embarrassing haha. I spend a lot of money on Pokemon. v_v

paired to peeta
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:26 PM
11wildy
Me!

I've played on quite some roms, as they are a lot faster, which allows for more challenges to be done! As well as speeding up grinding, which is my main reason for it...

I will post my challenge when I get from holidays Syd, so I can actually keep track of people playing. Any good name for it?
Old July 11th, 2013, 04:44 AM
The Dark Avenger
PumpkaBOO!

Everyone, keep your eyes peeled for the BINGO challenge starting this week (granted it's approved).

It's great for anyone, like me, who likes variety in their challenges, and would like to do some sort of ultimate challenge, but often lose interest in the second or third run.

In one challenge you may do a monotype and the next you might only be able to use pokemon that evolve via stones. I put together a good mixture of more conventional challenges and new ones to amp up the variety. There are literally millions of different permutations of how you can play through your unique bingo card!

Well, now that I am done advertising prematurely, in other news...not to pester you Sydian, but are you planning an event challenge anywhere in the near future? Cuz' they are always sure to entertain, and your last one was an April Fool's joke! You sorta' owe us for your "fishy" conduct :p
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:39 AM
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
Everyone, keep your eyes peeled for the BINGO challenge starting this week (granted it's approved).

It's great for anyone, like me, who likes variety in their challenges, and would like to do some sort of ultimate challenge, but often lose interest in the second or third run.

In one challenge you may do a monotype and the next you might only be able to use pokemon that evolve via stones. I put together a good mixture of more conventional challenges and new ones to amp up the variety. There are literally millions of different permutations of how you can play through your unique bingo card!

Well, now that I am done advertising prematurely, in other news...not to pester you Sydian, but are you planning an event challenge anywhere in the near future? Cuz' they are always sure to entertain, and your last one was an April Fool's joke! You sorta' owe us for your "fishy" conduct :p
Sounds intereseting! Do we get cookies for getting a BINGO?

Syd has said over the past few weeks that the next event will be next month in August I believe.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:03 AM
The Dark Avenger
PumpkaBOO!

^ Even better, you get........bragging rights!

Oh, she did? Thanks, for letting me know.
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:20 AM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

That April Fool's joke, LOL.

Use only fishes and nothing else, beat the Elite Four with a Magikarp and a Feebas.

lolnothankyou.jpg
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:24 AM
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
Ooh, sounds fun. I'm in! I'd have to finish my current challenges first before I would sign up, though >_< GT has taken a lot of time off my hands XD

Speaking of the GT, grats for winning in the drawing contest! I'm betting for that poodle, too. Great stuff. Love those pixel arts.

Anyway, onto another concern of mine: I was planning to make a program...
Spoiler:
which randomizes a lot of rules from different ongoing challenges. It's actually an idea for a new kind of challenge thread. But to be fair, and to not "take over" the said ongoing challenges, I'll set limits so that the "Random-Rules Generator" wouldn't generate more than one two or rules from say, the current Nuzlocke.

E.g. if there's already a "Faint = death" rule, then rest assured, any other rule from Nuzlocke wouldn't be generated.

However, there's already a "Create your own rules" challenge posted, which sort of has the same scope, so I guess I couldn't really create a new thread for it. I think it would look redundant and I'm also worried that it may end up killing that thread (or killing myself my own thread) if I did so. I might post the download link here, though, and I would PM the TC of that thread if he wants to include it as part of his challenge.

For additional features, I think a small area for random pokemon/team generation wouldn't hurt. It would save me a lot of trouble from opening sites every now and then, too! lol.

so... I'm just wondering how many would be interested, and if it would even be acceptable

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links