The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:19 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman

Advertise here
Damz I was going to be the hero, but Jz beat me to it.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:30 AM
Bestwaffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Also, I'm having a big brain fart trying to understand all the math in that DOB challenge. Don't make me do math waaaah.
Would posting an example make it easier to understand?

So, My date of birth is 12/24/1994, if I were playing a Generation 3 game, that would give me:

1. 24+12+94=130 Which would give me Crawdaunt.
2. 24x3=72 Gives me Aggron
3. 12x3x3=108 Gives me Koffing

If we wrote it as MM/DD/YY, it would be:

1. DD+MM+YY
2. DD x (Generation of game)
3. MM x (Generation of game)^2

I think the idea is sound, I just need to work out the kinks.

FireRed, Crystal, Sapphire,
Diamond 0/8, White, X

The Ones that Got Away: 1/16

Current B-I-N-G-O Challenge:
Grass Monotype - Sapphire 5/8
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:39 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
So I'm almost done with my Olympian God challenge that I'm making. Hopefully this challenge will be a hit, because I put so much effort into it! xD
I am totally doing this challenge when you put it up, Jz! I've been much into the Olympian Gods (especially with the series I've been into recently) and my heart jumped a little when I saw this post. Can't wait! ♥

Though I have a few other challenges to do and I wasn't able to complete last months event challenge due to irl things I'm slowing getting back into the swing of progressing in my challenges. Updated one of 'em today and it felt nice so yeah.

@Bestwaffles: so the max amount of Pokemon you would have in your challenge would be only three? I've never had a team of only three before but it'll be interesting if I decide to try out the birthday challenge. While testing the equations on a few regions all the ones I did look at are Pokemon that I have never used before so it would certainly be worth my time.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Hello guys, it's been a while. Not like anyone would care, but I've really been busy lately and I was forced to stay away from "non-productive" activities in the past few weeks -- such as finishing the event challenge ;_;. But anyway, not here to write a blog, I'm just dropping by to leave an idea that I was trying to bring into life before I got sucked into the void.

Spoiler:

Idea's "Title": Challenge League (i ambitiously was aiming to make this a sticky topic X3)
Aim/Goal: To keep the challenge forum and it's challenges fun, colorful, and constantly active. There seems to be people seeking some reward off the challenges they join -- and I thought that this may be just what they were looking for.
Notes about the challenge thread & some rules:
  • - Every year, the Challenge League thread releases a selected theme, a SET of rules and a set of new "badges/titles" (in the form of "progressive" userbars -- explained later).
  • - For each badge/title, a participant must choose a challenge among the threads posted in this forum, and submit a registration for this thread and that one.
  • Take note that the Challenge League's rules must be followed ALONG WITH the rules of the challenge a participant has chosen to take. No exceptions. Queries about rule conflicts may be brought to the CI&D thread. Well it would make more sense once you see the registration form.
  • - If a participant signs up for a specific challenge thread (for example, the Gym Leader Challenge) for obtaining a badge/title, he may not use that same challenge to acquire another badge/title. In short, the participant is encouraged to play 13 different challenges to acquire all titles. (8 from "Gym Leader rules", 4 from "Elite Four rules" and finally, 1 from the "Champion rule")
    • As long as you're not repeating it in the same League, it's still okay to repeat a challenge later on. (E.g you may use the Gym Leader Challenge to acquire Leader Title 1 in Challenge league 2013, and redo it to acquire the Champion Title in Challenge League 2014.)
  • - [Omitted] For participants using the provided random challenge generator, he will not be forced to "de-select" specific rules. So, even if he/she gets a similar randomized result, it would not prevent him from acquiring a badge -- this rule disregards the rule above.
Spoiler:
Unfortunately, the random challenge generator I've been planning to finish has been put to a complete stop. It actually would've been a perfect tool for this challenge (for those who don't want to bother scanning through other threads)... things happened, so sorry guys.
  • - [Omitted] If the participant chooses to do a challenge created by the random challenge generator, he/she must post a screenshot of the challenge and post it here as part of his/her registration form. He/she must also post his/her progress in this thread.
  • The participant may not skip a title. He must acquire 12 titles before he could accept the Champion title. If not, his entry would be invalid and would not be recorded into this thread's Hall of Fame.
----------- more notes ------------
About the different sets of rules: these rules are based on the theme. And there should be 4 sets in total.
  • 2 sets in total for beating the Challenge Threads' first 8 titles -- rules 1-4 will be simple, while rules 5-8 will have an additional rule or two for more "challenge"
  • 1 set for the "elite four" challenges. This set could be completely different from the previous 8, or if not, it will add yet another rule or two to the previous challenges for more difficulty. Take note that it must be difficult to achieve, as you are aiming to acquire an "elite" title from four challenges.
  • The last set is for the champion, and must be strictly hard. Like the note above, it may be a revision of the previous sets, or a completely different set -- just make sure that you still follow the theme. This alone should make the whole Challenge League a battle of the greatest.
About the theme: Themes could vary. When i was planning to create a thread for this, the theme was "adventure". I thought that an "adventure" best describes the first steps towards the development of the challenge thread. But it could really be anything -- unity, friendship, holidays, math, technology, potatoes, cheese... you get the point.

About the titles: Titles are also based on the themes, and as mentioned, are hand-made userbars. The badges/symbols are merely a treat for people to stare at XD. An example set of titles I have made for the "adventure" theme is:
1st title - Challenge Novice (badge symbol: Branch/stick)
2nd Title - Challenge Amateur (symbol: Compass/cross)
5th title - Challenge Seeker (symbol: telescope/bino)
7th title - Challenge Adept (book)
8th Title - Challenge Ace (star....with a smile. lol)
Elite Title - Challenge Expert
Champion Title - Challenge Master

** this describes what I meant by "progressive". If you've played many RPGs like I do, then you know about upgrading/promoting yourself/your characters into better jobs and classes. lulz. I just had to do it.

** initially, I was supposed to create a set of userbars which, if put together/side-by-side, would create a complete picture or well, symbol. As if they are pieces of a puzzle. But eh, now i have no time... and i'm not very artistic to begin with.

Sample?
Spoiler:
- Challenge League -
Theme of the year (2013): Adventure!
League Rules:
- Leader Titles 1-4 (Explorer -> blah -> blah -> halb)-
  • Must give all pokemon a proper nickname (c'mon guys, AAA is too harsh)
  • Must capture 30+ pokemon over the course of your playthrough
  • Must meet all the legendary pokemon (excluding roaming pokemon) to complete your adventure!
  • Must keep a full party AND swap 2 of your pokemon for every gym battle starting the 3rd gym. (i forgot who suggested this, i had names on notepad, but i couldn't find my file XD)
- Leader Titles 5-8 (etc -> etc -> etc -> etc)-
In addition/revision to the rules above...
  • Must capture a total of 60+ pokemon instead of 30+
  • You may not use items in battle (berries are allowed)
  • You may only use 5 pokemon at most (that includes any HM slave)
- Elite Titles (...)-
  • You must switch Battle style to SET.
  • You must only use 3 pokemon at most (you may reserve one spot for an HM slave, but the HM slave must, by all means, not be used for battling or even sacrifice for that Dragonite's hyperbeam)
- Champion Title (...)-
  • You may only have 1 fully evolved pokemon. And if any, you may only have 1 non-evolving pokemon in your team (if you have a Heracross, then you can no longer bring a Groudon).
- Userbars -
picture
picture
picture
etc.

Forms
Spoiler:

*Registration* form:
Name: Molivious
League: 2013
Current Title: None (if you have a title, provide link to your completion form)
Entry: Gym Leader Challenge (provide link to your registration form in that thread, or if you have a randomized challenge, post link to screenshot)

*Progress* form: (may or may not be optional... idk)
Registration form: (provide link to your registration form)
Current progress: (provide link to thread where you have completed your progress, OR if you used the random challenge generator, post your current progress here enclosed in a spoiler)

*Completion* form:
Acquired Title: Explorer
Registration form: (provide link to the registration form above)
Proof of completion: (provide link to thread where you have completed your challenge)

*** You will be required to post a *registration* and *completion* form for every title you are trying to acquire.
*** In total, for 13 titles, you would have 26 posts minimum in this thread and would have accepted 13 different challenges across the board, including the rules in this thread. Con-freaking-gratulations!

Previous Leagues (I suppose reserving post #2 would be an acceptable place to put these in)
Spoiler:

- Challenge League 2012 -
- League Rules -
etc
etc
** You may still accept and aim to acquire the titles of these challenges.

well, there it goes. I really found this interesting.. and i hope it would one day be turned into reality. Edit: Yup, it should definitely look fancier than this boring wall of text.

In any case, have fun doing challenges everyone! See ya later~

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.

Last edited by molivious; September 3rd, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
That makes much more sense, BestWaffles! Haha. Sorry about my bad math. Posting an example formula makes it much easier for those like me. ;) I like the idea though. Maybe you could add in three more Pokemon without having to use math, though. Like a Pokemon representative of the month you were born in or something. Unless you want to keep it a three Pokemon thing, then that's fine too.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:35 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

I'm been throwing this idea around for a Seasonal Challenge (the idea of picking your Pokemon depending on what season you choose) but I need to first open up one of my games so I can do the challenge myself. I don't think there is a challenge like that right now though, so maybe I can start working on it while finishing up one of my current challenges and then putting up that one once I can do it myself?

Last edited by Sora; September 3rd, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryPeaches View Post
I'm been throwing this idea around for a Seasonal Challenge (the idea of picking your Pokemon depending on what season you choose) but I need to first open up one of my games so I can do the challenge myself. I don't think there is a challenge like that right now though, so maybe I can start working on it while finishing up one of my current challenges and then putting up that one once I can do it myself?
Seasonal challenge sounds pretty cool. I would join it myself. There's also a temperature Challenge where you specific types depending on the weather you'll have in the next following 5 days. It sounds pretty similar but yours is seasons while that one is temperature :D

I also read the Challenges on Motorcycles posts from 2010 & 2011 and I saw some really good ideas from back then. Like for example, The Random Word Challenge. Where you use a Random Name Generator and get something then build your team around that. For example, you get the word 'Claw', so your team could be Sandslash, Zangoose & Kabutops

Last edited by LilJz; September 3rd, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:18 PM
11wildy
Me!

Nature: Lonely
I remember the random word challenge, it was really cool and got me to think of the theme a lot! I think my team had 2 rock/ground types and 2 water/flying types :p.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
Sydian

I'm about to go to bed, so I just want to post in here and remind everyone that if you participated in the event last month, please check out my latest post in that thread if you haven't already! It's very important. :)
Old September 4th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Xaldin
Big things come in Nice packages.

Nature: Calm
The next event challenge i gotta get a piece of. I keep missing them. :l
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Seasonal challenge sounds pretty cool. I would join it myself. There's also a temperature Challenge where you specific types depending on the weather you'll have in the next following 5 days. It sounds pretty similar but yours is seasons while that one is temperature :D

I also read the Challenges on Motorcycles posts from 2010 & 2011 and I saw some really good ideas from back then. Like for example, The Random Word Challenge. Where you use a Random Name Generator and get something then build your team around that. For example, you get the word 'Claw', so your team could be Sandslash, Zangoose & Kabutops :)
Ooooo the temperature challenge sounds fun! I would probably have a mix between a rain and a sun team because it's been between rain and sun well... since summer began haha. Might be more interesting when Fall/Winter gets near. But in general it would probably also be an easier challenge to set up; I've started sorting out the Pokemon for the Seasonal Challenge Winter would definitely be the hardest season to do cause like what else am I suppose to put other than ice pokemon and a few others?

The Random Word challenge sounds pretty fun! Though there are so many other challenges I want to do and complete right now if that one popped up I don't know what I would do. I seriously should just focus on beating one of my current challenges aha.
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:54 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Yeaaa! I only got two cartridges in which I can do challenges on, because all of my DS games, I use them for Pokedex completion or for my trading thread xD
And there's just soooo many challenges I wanna do right now!

I only use FireRed or Ruby for challenges, and I'm getting quite bored of them. I might get Soul Silver, Platinum and Black 2 so my challenge would be more diverse
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Most of my challenge games other than FireRed are, sadly, ROMS. I want more actual cartridges so I'm not breaking the law or anything (though honestly I did at some point own all the games I have ROMs for other than Heart Gold) but I don't have the money for it. Like... HG was $40 last time I want to a video game store and when I saw that I was happen that I got Fire Emblem: Awakening instead.

That said I technically have two cartridges I can do a challenge on? Crystal that was for the event and Gold that I downloaded for some reason or another. But I still should finish what I have on FireRed, Emerald, HeartGold, and Platinum first.
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:04 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

I just have a pet peeves for ROMS. I rather have the physical copy =/
I don't really enjoy a Pokemon game on a ROM, lol

Because, when I'm done with a challenge, I transfer those Pokemon to another Pokemon game so they don't become a waste.
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Me too. I avoided for the longest time before realizing that it was really the only way to get into Challenges. I still don't like it (I like playing Crystal and Gold more on my phone since it's more portable than my laptop) but it's something I'm sucking up to so I can enjoy the amazing challenges that are here.

I really wished I could do that. But after losing Pokemon so many times to my stupidity anyways I suppose overtime I found it more and more pointless. It's why I don't touch the majority of my Pokemon games though. My White version is honestly the only game that I have that I can play and then trade my teams over to another game (black 2) before restarting and be willing to restart (cause I ain't ever restarting Soul Silver. Contemplated Ruby but eh...).

Oh and FireRed. I do remember transferring my Monotype team over to Soul Silver when I was done with that.
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Yea, it sucks when you don't have money to buy legit copies and you're forced to use ROMs because Gen II games are hard to find =/

And in other news, I'm reviving the Pokemon Cycle Challenge!
Where you have to use a team of pokemon that is super effective against one another
For Example: Water > Ground > Poison > Grass
And to make it even fun for people to join, people that are currently doing the challenge can assign the team to other persons.

For example, I join the challenge and someone is requesting a team for Grass > Water > Fire, I can choose which Pokemon he will be using!
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Ugh yeah. I do have a Crystal but I don't really have any way to trade my Pokemon onto my Silver so I'm stuck there. And my Gold was lost years ago. :(

ooo that sounds like a fun challenge! I just decided that I'm going to do a Solo Challenge with Furret on White because I've been wanting to and I just don't have the motivation to continue the current challenge I have on my White (training ten Pokemon is hard). That and after this convo I want to do a challenge on an actual cartridge for a while haha. After that I'll probably be finished with making the Seasonal Challenge so I'll be putting that up!
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:02 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

All this talk about different challenges really makes me wanna get more games! xD

Which challenge are you currently doing? Training ten Pokemon? O.o
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Before I decided to do the Solo challenge I was doing a challenge where I went through the game with Ash's team. I used the Pokemon that he used in each gym battle, evolved them when he evolved them (if he even did) and same movesets. And since well... he had ten Pokemon switching around in Unova I was inevitably training ten Pokemon. I managed to get to the sixth badge before realizing a few things and I just lost motivation from there.

Frankly compared to that I think a solo challenge with a Furret is going to be easier haha.
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:14 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Wow, how about Kanto? iirc, that's the region where he caught the most Pokemon, right?
And I'm currently doing two challenges now! I'm doing the Pokemon Cycle challenge & the Gym Leader challenge.

But, I don't know what my team is gonna be for the Pokemon Cycle challenge yet, since someone else is supposed to assign it to me
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Xaldin

I'm waiting on someone to assign me a team for the Random Challenge. Tbh,i'm kinda scared about what I'm gonna get. I don't want a Wobbuffet. ._.
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:08 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

I remember on the past Cycle Challenge thread, I got myself a Feebas. Omg... never again.

I'd take a Wobbuffet over a Feebas anytime.
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Xaldin

I guess that would be true,though I still wouldn't like the fact of training a poke on counter hits only :/
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:19 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

True, haha!

At least you get good damage if you out-predict your opponent
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Sydian

I think that if you got Feebas, they'd swap it for something else. It says in the rules that Pokemon like that, Caterpie, Kakuna, etc need to be swapped cause that's too hard. I'm sure someone somewhere would love the challenge of using those Pokemon though.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here