Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Reload this Page Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old October 29th, 2013 (03:44 AM).
Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!

Nature: Calm
Hmmm... Kinda forgot to check this during the last couple of days, but there seemed to be a few good ideas. Thanks a bunch guys!

"Hope is like a piece of string when you're drowning. It just isn't enough to get you out by itself." -Perrin Aybara
Old October 30th, 2013 (05:32 PM). Edited October 30th, 2013 by Pikabowser123.
The Jack of all Trades

Nature: Relaxed
I have an Idea. If it base Idea is accepted, I'll obviously sign up first.

Re-edit (The Wonder Exchange Challenge)
For Pokémon X/Y

1.) You must Wonder Trade (WT) all your Pokémon! (Includes both starters)

2.) One Pokémon per route/area until you have a party of six. Then no more catching Pokémon. If you have more than six. release the rest.

3.) If you get a duplicate Pokémon, you must Wonder Trade it again until you get something different.

4.) If a Pokémon faints, you must Wonder Trade it! (Rule #3 counts here.)

5.) No Exp.Share (Optional, but recommended for a harder experience)

6.) No Potions in battle (Optional, but recommended for a harder experience)

7.) No Legendary Pokemon

8.) If you have a high level Pokemon you may choose to wonder trade it away for something that can obey you. (Optional)
Old October 30th, 2013 (05:41 PM).
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
Wonderlocke isn't a new idea and I'm not approving them. I'm tired of everyone having to turn perfectly good challenges into locke variants. If someone wants to make a Wonder Trade challenge with locke rules as an option, I'm fine with that. I just don't want the entire challenge to be a locke. Make sense? I hope that makes sense. I've already unapproved like 5 wonderlockes for various reasons. Not trying to discourage people, it's just that I feel this will be one of the more popular challenges that come for this gen and I want it to be smooth sailing.

happily received
Old October 30th, 2013 (06:33 PM). Edited October 30th, 2013 by Pikabowser123.
The Jack of all Trades

I understand your point. So why not just I just change the name then to something (at least more original then wonder trade) instead of the name.

Why not The Wonder Exchange Challenge?

Now that I think about it It's not really a -Locke since the Pokemon don't really die but, traded off.
Old October 30th, 2013 (11:04 PM).
Pokémon Master

How about a gimmick challenge. Where you must use pokémon that rely on some sort of gimmick like Keckleon, Ditto, Shuckle, and Smeargle
Old October 31st, 2013 (12:39 AM).
You seem rather drunk
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
I was thinking there could be a "Mono-Letter" challenge. Where all the Pokemon in your team have to begin with the first letter? Obviously, there would be more challenging ones, weird letters like X that I would have to think of something to work around it and perhaps make it do-able.

Just want to get some general thoughts first before I have it all planned out.
Old October 31st, 2013 (06:25 AM). Edited October 31st, 2013 by molivious.
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Pave Low:
I was thinking there could be a "Mono-Letter" challenge. Where all the Pokemon in your team have to begin with the first letter? Obviously, there would be more challenging ones, weird letters like X that I would have to think of something to work around it and perhaps make it do-able.

Just want to get some general thoughts first before I have it all planned out.
You could always add an exception for such "scarce" letters, by allowing any pokemon with that letter in it's name. For example, aside from Xerneas, Luxray, Dustox, Jynx, Unown X, etc may also be part of the 'X' mono-letters. It's just to make that letter feasible for the challenge, after all. (much better than completely excluding it from the challenge)

edit: I've just successfully finished a run of the Ranger's Challenge (on Pokemon Emerald) that I had suggested days ago for Miniminun. It was tough, but more fun than I have expected. I do recall fighting Steven's pokemon on my first playthrough with similar levels... but planning and catching wild pokemon that would destroy him was a much, much better experience.

If no one's taking it anytime soon, I might start up a thread for it; and for my old petit cup challenge again. Hopefully, I could already get them up by mid-November, after moving out and getting a load off some of my lessons. For now, I'll be doing Syd's 'ol August Challenge.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old October 31st, 2013 (09:42 AM).
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

Quote:
I understand your point. So why not just I just change the name then to something (at least more original then wonder trade) instead of the name.

Why not The Wonder Exchange Challenge?

Now that I think about it It's not really a -Locke since the Pokemon don't really die but, traded off.
I like that name better, actually. And yeah, that's true about the Locke part. I would just prefer that people are able to make a team of the first 6 things they get off Wonder Trade and go from there. And then the locke(ish) part could be an optional rule, since I think that would make the thread run more smoothly.

I see "locke" in so many things though, I automatically just scream when it appears. I think I'm allergic. :P

Quote:
For now, I'll be doing Syd's 'ol August Challenge.
Even though it's way over? :P Hope you're having fun regardless!

happily received
Old October 31st, 2013 (10:57 AM).
Get 'em, Tibbers!
Platinum Tier

I honestly hate "locke" challenges. There's just way too many of them and like 80% of the lockes we have here could easily be integrated in the regular nuzlocke thread -.-

"Have you seen my bear Tibbers?"
Old October 31st, 2013 (10:59 AM).
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
Even though it's way over? Hope you're having fun regardless!
It will be my pleasure. The event may be way over, but the f-f-fun never ends!

Old October 31st, 2013 (02:41 PM).
You seem rather drunk
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by molivious:
You could always add an exception for such "scarce" letters, by allowing any pokemon with that letter in it's name. For example, aside from Xerneas, Luxray, Dustox, Jynx, Unown X, etc may also be part of the 'X' mono-letters. It's just to make that letter feasible for the challenge, after all. (much better than completely excluding it from the challenge)
Ahh now you see I like this idea. Thanks for the input!

Are there any other suggestions/ideas regarding the Mono-Letter challenge which you think would be good? You know, just want to see if there are any other genius minds out there that could possibly conjure up some genius ideas before I go skipping off into the distance and start working on the thread completely oblivious to any blatantly obvious things which I'm missing out. But then again, it is a "mono" challenge so everything is pretty straightforward. :3
Old October 31st, 2013 (04:47 PM).
The Jack of all Trades

So you mean like change the rules around so

I have an Idea. If it base Idea is accepted, I'll obviously sign up first.
Changes are in green

The Wonder Exchange Challenge
For Pokémon X/Y

Main Rules

1.) You must Wonder Trade (WT) all your Pokémon! (Includes both starters)

2.) You use up to six Pokemon and ONLY SIX

3.) If you get a duplicate Pokémon, you must Wonder Trade it again until you get something different.

Additional, Optional rules

1.) One Pokémon per route/area until you have a party of six. Then no more catching Pokémon. If you have more than six. release the rest.

2.) No Exp.Share (Optional, but recommended for a harder experience)

3.) No Potions in battle (Optional, but recommended for a harder experience)

4.) No Legendary Pokemon

5.) If you have a high level Pokemon you may choose to wonder trade it away for something that can obey you.

There is that
Old October 31st, 2013 (04:54 PM).
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

Quote:
That's what I would want put in the optional section. I personally would take on that rule, though I'm sure some people would just like to get a random team through Wonder Trade. Similar to a random, but you know, you can't whine and be like "hurr hurr i can't use this some reshuffle my team plz" nor would you be allowed to make restrictions and such like the Random allows. That and you're...stuck with terrible names. :P

Everything else looks fine though. Just make sure to include that the challenge ends after the Champion. It's kind of a given, but you'd be surprised at how many times an obvious question gets asked. :P

happily received
Old October 31st, 2013 (06:23 PM). Edited October 31st, 2013 by molivious.
so much fail...

Quote originally posted by Pave Low:
Ahh now you see I like this idea. Thanks for the input!

Are there any other suggestions/ideas regarding the Mono-Letter challenge which you think would be good? You know, just want to see if there are any other genius minds out there that could possibly conjure up some genius ideas before I go skipping off into the distance and start working on the thread completely oblivious to any blatantly obvious things which I'm missing out. But then again, it is a "mono" challenge so everything is pretty straightforward. :3
I don't think there's anything else that I could add on top of that. As you've mentioned, it's a pretty straightforward challenge and it would probably best to keep it that way. Keeping something simple ofttimes grabs more attention since not all people have the patience to read walls of text. Besides, any additions and/or ideas can always just come in the form of updates/revisions or optional rules later on.

Oh, just thought of a suggestion: you probably should link them to <this> to use as reference. I think that would be allowed. It will make your challenge much more convenient to navigate for the reader without making it difficult to read.

Old October 31st, 2013 (06:29 PM).
You seem rather drunk
Gold Tier

Yeah, I had that link in mind but I didn't know what the actual link was so thanks for that!

But yeah, I think everything is pretty much sorted and I will start working on the thread in the morning♥~
Old November 1st, 2013 (12:51 PM).
so much fail...

whoa, I noticed that my old challenge thread was already on the brink of being completely lost in the void. If there had been any new accepted challenges, I may have not seen it anymore (I'm assuming old threads get deleted eventually) and would've revived/rewritten it from scratch! Yikes.

So anyway, I've submitted the new and updated thread already and it should be up soon... unless it gets rejected DX I've revised it in a way that it's easier to follow and understand in a less-cluttered way than it was before. I think I did a good job.

Shameless blog-like post and self-praise

Old November 1st, 2013 (03:46 PM).
The Jack of all Trades

That's what I would want put in the optional section. I personally would take on that rule, though I'm sure some people would just like to get a random team through Wonder Trade. Similar to a random, but you know, you can't whine and be like "hurr hurr i can't use this some reshuffle my team plz" nor would you be allowed to make restrictions and such like the Random allows. That and you're...stuck with terrible names.

Everything else looks fine though. Just make sure to include that the challenge ends after the Champion. It's kind of a given, but you'd be surprised at how many times an obvious question gets asked.
Alright. I'll add that it to optional and say it ends with the Champ. So does that mean after I add the changes and make a Sign up sheet, I can post it?
Old November 1st, 2013 (08:55 PM).
Arlyn Aquos
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Water Gym Leader
Pokemon Gender Nuzlocke. What ever gender your starter is is the only gender you can use (Exception: You want to use Genderless) the first Pokemon of the route is the only one you can catch, if its not the gender you are using to bad. Additional rules follow Nuzlocke ones.

3DS FC: 0903-4056-8403
3DS XL FC: 0404-6887-6558
~~DIVING DEEP~~ (A Water Pokemon Fan Club)
Old November 1st, 2013 (11:43 PM).
Get 'em, Tibbers!
Platinum Tier

not another locke Q.Q please Q.Q

"Have you seen my bear Tibbers?"
Old November 2nd, 2013 (11:24 AM).
Failed Clone #123,456,789

Here, I have an idea for a challenge! I will be participating in it, but I want to make sure it's good, and that people would actually play it.

So basically, I'll work out a large group of themes associated with numbers, probaly from 1-50 or 1-75, maybe even to a hundred. The challenger must use a number randomizer (I know a few decent ones, I'll put a link to one within the possible thread) and whatever number they get, they must use the theme associated with that number!

Problem is, I don't have enough time or imagination to work out so many themes. Only flaw I've found so far.
Old November 2nd, 2013 (11:27 AM).
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU

Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by Water Gym Leader:
Pokemon Gender Nuzlocke. What ever gender your starter is is the only gender you can use (Exception: You want to use Genderless) the first Pokemon of the route is the only one you can catch, if its not the gender you are using to bad. Additional rules follow Nuzlocke ones.
We already have a challenge like that: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=286280 Only difference is it's based on the gender of your character rather than your starter (which are female only 12.5% of the time) and you're not allowed genderless at all.

I have an idea for a challenge...

Sailor Moon – Pokémon Challenge

For those born in the 90’s and for those who are watching the remake/reading the manga, I’m sure you’re familiar with our favorite meatball/dumpling head and her sailor scouts/soldiers. For those who aren’t familiar:

Sailor Moon is a shoujo series that popularized the Magical Girl genre and centers around a group of elementary/middle/high/college school females (and token male love interest) saving the world and universe from [Insert Big Bad from every season here] after having been resurrected from a war between the Earth and the Moon prior to the beginning of the actual story. All that history aside [just go on TV Tropes or Wikipedia for all the rest], this challenge will focus on you making a team based on the characters of this show.

Note: Themes for your particular senshi are allowed to be mixed and matched around so long as each Pokémon fulfill at least one requirement.

Rules:
- No hacks (unless fully complete with an E4 and everything), no Game sharking/Action Replaying/RNG’ing
- For those playing on games prior to 6th gen, you may apply the fairy rule to all confirmed new typings, so Mr. Mime, etc. are allowed to be on your team even if the typing doesn't match for that particular generation.
- I highly recommend playing this on generations 2-6 (including remakes) for the following types/features: steel, dark, fairy, babies, genders
- You are allowed to have HM slaves as required for progression purposes

Quote:
Name: Sooyun
Game: X
Senshi: Chibi Moon
Spoiler:

Sailor Moon/Sailor Chibi Moon/Chibi Chibi
Color themes: White, Red, Pink
Type themes: Fairy, Normal
Move/Abilities req: Cute Charm/Gluttony, any fairy moves, any move that heals a team mate
Animal/Zodiac/Misc theme:
All 3: Pokémon based on the moon/night/dreams/rabbit, must include a cat;
Chibi Moon: Pokémon small in size; may not exceed 2'07"
Chibi Chibi: Pokémon that are babies (hatched and remains in baby form; ex. Smoochum), may not exceed 1'08"
Forbidden: No dark types or ghosts whatsoever (Pokémon or moves)

Sailor Mercury/Sailor Neptune
Color themes: Blue
Type themes: Water, Ice
Move/Abilities: Swift Swim, Water Absorb, Bubble, Bubblebeam, Water Gun, etc.
Mercury: No attack stronger than Bubblebeam.
Neptune: The best attacks for your type (Hydro pump, etc.)
Animal/Zodiac/Misc theme:
Mercury: Pokémon based on fishes, otters, invertabre, NFE Pokémon.
Neptune: sea lions, seals, walruses, serpents, Bulky Waters, Full Evolutions; a Pokemon from Uranus is allowed to join Neptune’s team and must be female
Forbidden: No fire, electric, grass types

Sailor Mars
Color themes: Red, Black
Type themes: Fire, Ghost, Psychic
Move/Abilities: Any fire/ghost/psychic moves
Animal/Zodiac/Misc: Pokemon based on lambs, rams, etc. Pokémon whose history is based on ties to folklore/legends/past lives, etc.
Forbidden: no water, ice, fairy, grass types

Sailor Jupiter
Color themes: Green, Pink
Type themes: Grass, Bug, Electric, Dragon, Fighting
Moves/Abilities: Lightning Rod, Petal Dance, Magical Leaf, etc.
Animal/Zodiac/Misc: Pokémon based on horses (Sagittarius); food
Forbidden: No fire, normal, fairy, ice types

Sailor Venus
Color themes: Yellow, Brown, Red
Type themes: Normal, Steel, Fairy
Moves/Abilities: Cute Charm, Sweet Kiss, Lovely Kiss, Heart Stamp, Swift, Tickle
Animal/Zodiac/Misc: Pokémon that are pretty/cute/graceful, made of metal, Female only Team, must have a cat

Sailor Uranus
Color themes: Yellow, Blue
Type themes: Flying, Rock, Ground
Moves/Abilities: Extreme speed, Aerial Ace, Quick Attack, Bulldoze, Earthquake
Animal/Zodiac/Misc: Must have masculine/boyish/tough looking Pokémon that are actually female. 1 Serpent or Bulky Water (from Sailor Neptune) is allowed to be on this team and must be female.

Sailor Pluto
Color themes: Red, Green
Type themes: Psychic, Poison, Ghost
Move types: Any psychic/poison, moves that can screw with time/space
Misc: Pokémon based on legends, aliens, etc.; Pokémon that are exclusive to your particular game/rare in the wild; Pokémon from Saturn, Neptune, and/or Uranus are allowed to join and must follow their requirements
Forbidden: Dark types

Sailor Saturn
Color themes: Black, Grey, Purple
Type themes: Dark, Ghost
Animal/Zodiac/Misc: team consisting of 1 fully evolved Pokémon, a 2nd stage evolution, and 1 unevolved Pokémon; team consisting of Pokémon with sub-par stats (Liepard, etc.) or bad defense stats; a Pokemon from ChibiMoon’s team is allowed to join and must follow her requirements.
Forbidden: Fairy (unless you’re adding ChibiMoon), Psychic

Tuxedo Kamen (Earth)
Color Theme: One of each color
Type Theme: Steel, Grass, Normal, Fairy, Fighting
Animal/Zodiac/Misc: Pokemon based on shields/swords/knights/etc; Eeveelutions; a Pokemon from Sailor Moon’s team is allowed to join, must be female, and must be breedable with your main/first in your party (you must breed for a female and name her after the mother)
• Extra req: must have a Pokemon that has a flower – no matter the theme

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
Old November 2nd, 2013 (12:01 PM).
You seem rather drunk
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by DittosGonnaDitto:
Here, I have an idea for a challenge! I will be participating in it, but I want to make sure it's good, and that people would actually play it.

So basically, I'll work out a large group of themes associated with numbers, probaly from 1-50 or 1-75, maybe even to a hundred. The challenger must use a number randomizer (I know a few decent ones, I'll put a link to one within the possible thread) and whatever number they get, they must use the theme associated with that number!

Problem is, I don't have enough time or imagination to work out so many themes. Only flaw I've found so far.
FYI, there is a challenge similar to this, the Themed Challenge.

It is a nice idea, but there are a lot of "themed" challenges that have come and gone and not all have been too successful. Before you go any further, I would suggest bringing down the number of themes because thinking of at least 50 is a challenge in itself. It could work with time and effort put in, it actually starts to sound more fun the more I think about it. I'm sure it could work if you thought about it carefully. Remember, were always here to help if it is needed. Something you need to remember is the responsibility you take on as a thread owner here; it is better if you are able to frequently update the thread (every few days), answer members questions etc. so the challenge is able to keep going. Just thought I should let you know since you are a fairly new member.
Old November 3rd, 2013 (01:27 PM).
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

Quote:
Alright. I'll add that it to optional and say it ends with the Champ. So does that mean after I add the changes and make a Sign up sheet, I can post it?
Of course!

Quote:
Quote:
Pokemon Gender Nuzlocke.
Quote:
Nuzlocke
Quote:
locke
what did i just get done saying......................

But yeah, we already have Gender Discrimination, which without even being a locke variant, it's pretty difficult, especially if you choose female.

happily received
Old November 3rd, 2013 (03:03 PM).
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU

Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Nature: Sassy
Of course!

what did i just get done saying......................

But yeah, we already have Gender Discrimination, which without even being a locke variant, it's pretty difficult, especially if you choose female.
Don't give yourself an ulcer, Sydian. I already posted the link to the thread. If people aren't gonna pay attention (no lockes; just make an additional rule for yourself in the nuzlocke instead of creating separate challenges - or see if there's a challenge similar already), then they might as well get ignored/unapproved if they make a thread. Beats repeating yourself over and over. BTW, look for the Sailor Moon challenge by... Friday-ish. Other than buying every outfit in Kalos, there's not much else for me to do, so I'll be starting over to do the challenge (if approved).

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
Old November 3rd, 2013 (11:09 PM).
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
Wonder Trade Challenge-
This can only be done in X/Y

-Capture 6 pokemon as soon as you can, trade them all off and for the pokemon you get in return is your team for the rest of the game.
-Enjoy

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links