Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Reload this Page Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old February 22nd, 2014 (04:44 PM).

Quote originally posted by Everlark:
This is the best theme idea I've ever had tbqh. That in mind, a Twitch Plays Pokemon Challenge may or may not be in the works...
Hm...interesting. How would that work?

Pokémon Pearl (Ultimate Leader Challenge - Jasmine)
2/8 Badges
Old February 22nd, 2014 (06:17 PM).
I r8 8/8 no h8 m8.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
Hm...with semester break coming on in a week, i'm wondering what kind of challenge would be best to do next, because that would be a perfect time to start up a new one. I really want to do another Wedlocke, this on on BW, which i've been meaning to do for a while (especially since Marriland is doing one now), but that favorites challenge is kinda calling me. Hm...
Old February 22nd, 2014 (06:34 PM).
♥ maraala ♥

Nature: Bold
Hallo fellow birdies I have made it back to the nest. <3
Quote originally posted by Powerstars:
That's the big question, aint it. :P
Quote originally posted by flareblitz37:
Hm...with semester break coming on in a week, i'm wondering what kind of challenge would be best to do next, because that would be a perfect time to start up a new one. I really want to do another Wedlocke, this on on BW, which i've been meaning to do for a while (especially since Marriland is doing one now), but that favorites challenge is kinda calling me. Hm...
Wedlocke looks interesting but if you've already done it... have you done Favourites before? I'd do that if you haven't.
Dwebble - #184
pairs - ama - gravity falls fc - minecraft
Old February 22nd, 2014 (07:15 PM).
A long line? Well I guess it was inevitable...
CS

Nature: Adamant
Holy crap, Anna! Hi! I haven't seen you around here in a while. It's cool that Syd is the Helix and you're the Jesus Bird.

Old February 22nd, 2014 (07:56 PM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
Necrum, you should be The Keeper!

Quote:
That's the hard part, haha. Anna and I are coming up with ideas to make it work, though I'm sure when it all comes together, it's still going to be complicated and lengthy. That being said, I'm not sure if people would be interested in it because of that, and it'd mostly be a novelty kind of challenge. I mean, obviously one person can't recreate everything from the actual TPP playthrough, so it would involve a lot of dice rolling/RNG generators/askhelix usage.

i'm leaving this i don't even care
Old February 22nd, 2014 (08:02 PM).
♥ maraala ♥

Quote originally posted by Necrum Warrior:
Holy crap, Anna! Hi! I haven't seen you around here in a while. It's cool that Syd is the Helix and you're the Jesus Bird.
Hihi. I remembered I'm still doing a challenge. :D I was making this tag for the fun of it and then she changed and I was like WELP MAY AS WELL NOW
That's the hard part, haha. Anna and I are coming up with ideas to make it work, though I'm sure when it all comes together, it's still going to be complicated and lengthy. That being said, I'm not sure if people would be interested in it because of that, and it'd mostly be a novelty kind of challenge. I mean, obviously one person can't recreate everything from the actual TPP playthrough, so it would involve a lot of dice rolling/RNG generators/askhelix usage.
It's honestly kind of hard to keep it accessible and personalizable while still keeping in some of the randomness, drama, and similarities. Obviously you won't be checking Bulbasaur's cry half the time you open the menu, consulting the Helix Fossil in the middle of a battle, or completely failing to get into the daycare for six hours. Unfortunately a lot of those things are the charm of TPP so like. What do, right?
Dwebble - #184
Old February 22nd, 2014 (09:18 PM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

Pretty much. The way it would be translated from a 50k person playthrough to a 1 person playthrough is by random odds and different points in the game where good and bad things may or may not happen. And there's the askhelix thing...I mean, you can't have TPP without Helix, no matter how many players.

So yeah, I'm just worrying that the tediousness of needing a random number generator or dice will be a hinderance to the sign ups. Like I said, it'd mainly be for novelty, but I figure it'd be best to do it now while it's still popular. It'll die when it dies. :P

And, obviously, it would be RBY only. None of that FRLG crap either, no sir. Gotta be old school for this mess.

Old February 23rd, 2014 (06:31 AM).

Nature: Calm
Hey everybody

Just wanted to drop a quick question here... Do you think that my updates on challenges are messy/pictures are too big? Because nobody said anything about that than someone recently said that I should make smaller pics on the updates.. (Pictures=screenshots) - I cannot do that because PhotoBucket shrinks all the pictures I upload for some reason - but if I don't post screenshots people might call me cheater D: I am just not sure on what to do

Do what you believe in and believe in what you do. All else is a waste of energy and time ~ Nisargadatta.

Love is the only power that can change an enemy into a friend. ~ Martin Luther King.

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, Crossing Jordan and some other series. I am also Harry Potter fan and Disney fan (I love Frozen!) - I also like other animes beside Pokemon.
Old February 23rd, 2014 (09:04 AM).
♥ maraala ♥

I took a look and yeah, they're very big. I like Teun's suggestion of using the in-house VBA screenshot function; they tend to all be an acceptable size and readable ofc. I don't understand your Photobucket resizing problem; I've absolutely never had that issue with anything I upload. Could you show some examples, maybe?

In any case, people would trust you without pictures. I mean, I don't use pics for my runs because I play on an actual handheld, as do a fair amount of people. So that's fine.
Dwebble - #184
Old February 23rd, 2014 (09:05 AM).
CS

Pretty much. The way it would be translated from a 50k person playthrough to a 1 person playthrough is by random odds and different points in the game where good and bad things may or may not happen. And there's the askhelix thing...I mean, you can't have TPP without Helix, no matter how many players.

So yeah, I'm just worrying that the tediousness of needing a random number generator or dice will be a hinderance to the sign ups. Like I said, it'd mainly be for novelty, but I figure it'd be best to do it now while it's still popular. It'll die when it dies. :P

And, obviously, it would be RBY only. None of that FRLG crap either, no sir. Gotta be old school for this mess.
I'm not fond of restricting challenges to a certain game when it's perfectly capable of being used in any game.
Quote originally posted by AoTora:
Hey everybody

Just wanted to drop a quick question here... Do you think that my updates on challenges are messy/pictures are too big? Because nobody said anything about that than someone recently said that I should make smaller pics on the updates.. (Pictures=screenshots) - I cannot do that because PhotoBucket shrinks all the pictures I upload for some reason - but if I don't post screenshots people might call me cheater D: I am just not sure on what to do
If you stick your pictures inside a [Spoiler] tag then it makes it much cleaner.

Old February 23rd, 2014 (09:17 AM).
♥ maraala ♥

Quote originally posted by Necrum Warrior:
I'm not fond of restricting challenges to a certain game when it's perfectly capable of being used in any game.
I mean we could certainly adapt it, but a lot of the charm comes from Red version and the Pokémon in it. A lot of the requirements we have are directly related to those things. But if we get the mechanics down I suppose it could end up doing okay on any game.
Dwebble - #184
Old February 23rd, 2014 (09:47 AM).

Thankyou for quick replys I really appreciate it

I used to use ImageShack and I am using PhotoBucket now - on either of them I can put any size picture and they will resize it for webpage/forums - meaning that they will either shrink them either enlarge them - ruining the quality in both cases which is kinda annoying D: And yep I always use spoiler tags just so I don't clutter whole topic with my pictures I am working on making smaller screen shots and hopefully I can figure out what's the problem with resizing soon D:

And about people not trusting me... I am not sure but I used to be on another place similar to this - if you didn't post pictures people started accussing you pretty fast so yeah I rather stick with screenshots for now because I don't want to experience something similar to that again D:

Do what you believe in and believe in what you do. All else is a waste of energy and time ~ Nisargadatta.

Love is the only power that can change an enemy into a friend. ~ Martin Luther King.

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, Crossing Jordan and some other series. I am also Harry Potter fan and Disney fan (I love Frozen!) - I also like other animes beside Pokemon.
Old February 23rd, 2014 (09:55 AM).
♥ maraala ♥

Thankyou for quick replys I really appreciate it ^^

I used to use ImageShack and I am using PhotoBucket now - on either of them I can put any size picture and they will resize it for webpage/forums - meaning that they will either shrink them either enlarge them - ruining the quality in both cases which is kinda annoying D: And yep I always use spoiler tags just so I don't clutter whole topic with my pictures :) I am working on making smaller screen shots and hopefully I can figure out what's the problem with resizing soon D:

And about people not trusting me... I am not sure but I used to be on another place similar to this - if you didn't post pictures people started accussing you pretty fast so yeah I rather stick with screenshots for now because I don't want to experience something similar to that again D:
I still don't see where the resizing could be happening. Maybe I don't have that option? In any case, I recommend changing your upload options to full size/do not resize/show at original size. Because that actually makes sense haha.

And don't worry, we're nice here. :) I mean, if you update a decent amount and then tell us you finished we're gonna be like, hey, cool, you did it. Good job! And really if you lie about it, you're not cheating anyone but yourself, so who really cares in the end, right?
Dwebble - #184
Old February 23rd, 2014 (10:13 AM).

Yeah that's true Why would you even sign up for challenges and than lie about finishing them when you didn't? Makes no sense (Unless you are a troll lol) - This site is actually one of my favourite Pokemon Sites -it has a lot of awesome topics and admins and other people are just awesome too :3

Old February 23rd, 2014 (10:25 AM).
CS

Thankyou for quick replys I really appreciate it ^^

I used to use ImageShack and I am using PhotoBucket now - on either of them I can put any size picture and they will resize it for webpage/forums - meaning that they will either shrink them either enlarge them - ruining the quality in both cases which is kinda annoying D: And yep I always use spoiler tags just so I don't clutter whole topic with my pictures :) I am working on making smaller screen shots and hopefully I can figure out what's the problem with resizing soon D:

I run several challenges that you're in, and I don't even post pictures. Like I said though, if you want to cut down space the spoiler tag is very efficient.

Old February 23rd, 2014 (10:39 AM).
♥ maraala ♥

Yeah that's true :) Why would you even sign up for challenges and than lie about finishing them when you didn't? Makes no sense (Unless you are a troll lol) - This site is actually one of my favourite Pokemon Sites -it has a lot of awesome topics and admins and other people are just awesome too :3
Exactly haha. I'm glad you feel that way. <3 We try to keep it nice here~
Dwebble - #184
Old February 23rd, 2014 (03:47 PM).

How bout a challenge where you get a pokemon from every gen?
Old February 23rd, 2014 (05:14 PM).

How about a No EXP Gain Challenge. (It would require an AR/Gameshark code, but still). As it implies, you CANNOT gain experience points. (You can do it on an unpatched Generaion 5 rom, but for everything else, you'd have to make a ode for to disable EXP gain.)
You pretty much have to always buy Pokeballs, catch new Pokemon on every single route to replace your lower leveled ones. You can use rare candies to level up if needed.
Old February 23rd, 2014 (07:46 PM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

Quote:
But with TPP, there's things that are RBY exclusive, and I think that invokes a more authentic feel. It wouldn't feel right to have a Twitch Plays Pokemon challenge with Platinum, for example. Consulting the Skull Fossil just doesn't seem quite like consulting the Helix. Plus, the mechanics of RBY really help make TPP what it is. Everything being lumped into one bag, for example. No pockets. Just a mess of TMs, Pokedolls, stones, Potions, etc. I mean, I could open it up to FRLG at least, but I'd like to keep it RBY. That just goes with the theme of the challenge.

Old February 23rd, 2014 (07:58 PM).
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Koala:
How about a No EXP Gain Challenge. (It would require an AR/Gameshark code, but still). As it implies, you CANNOT gain experience points. (You can do it on an unpatched Generaion 5 rom, but for everything else, you'd have to make a ode for to disable EXP gain.)
You pretty much have to always buy Pokeballs, catch new Pokemon on every single route to replace your lower leveled ones. You can use rare candies to level up if needed.
That would literally be impossible. You couldn't beat any first gym leader because you wouldn't have any moves other than what a level 5- learns and your highest level against at minimum a level 13 would be level 5.

Old February 23rd, 2014 (08:03 PM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

As badass and hardcore as a no exp challenge sounds, it also scares me haha. I'm trying to think of beginning Pokemon you could catch that wouldn't need exp to learn something at least neutral against the first gym...nothing is coming to mind. I could see it maybe working after the first gym, but that first one would be a doozy. Spam X items and Tail Whip and Tackle all day, erryday.

Old February 23rd, 2014 (08:28 PM).
♥ maraala ♥

Quote originally posted by PokeChallengeAccepted:
How bout a challenge where you get a pokemon from every gen?
I feel like we had that somewhere at some point? Maybe as part of some other challenge, idk. But, as a challenge by itself, how would it be set up? Like, would you only be able to have one Pokémon from each gen? And would it exclude non-hacked Kanto games since you can only take from one gen? (idk what's on FRLG sorry) So like, Gen II players could only have two in their party, Gen III has to have three, etc, barring HM slaves.
As badass and hardcore as a no exp challenge sounds, it also scares me haha. I'm trying to think of beginning Pokemon you could catch that wouldn't need exp to learn something at least neutral against the first gym...nothing is coming to mind. I could see it maybe working after the first gym, but that first one would be a doozy. Spam X items and Tail Whip and Tackle all day, erryday.
Actually RSE could possibly work because Shrromish & Wingull come with Absorb & Water Gun. The hard part would def be gyms with a huge jump from the surrounding area's Pokémon and the E4- but you could potentially counter that with legendaries, idk.
Dwebble - #184
Old February 23rd, 2014 (08:41 PM).
CS

But with TPP, there's things that are RBY exclusive, and I think that invokes a more authentic feel. It wouldn't feel right to have a Twitch Plays Pokemon challenge with Platinum, for example. Consulting the Skull Fossil just doesn't seem quite like consulting the Helix. Plus, the mechanics of RBY really help make TPP what it is. Everything being lumped into one bag, for example. No pockets. Just a mess of TMs, Pokedolls, stones, Potions, etc. I mean, I could open it up to FRLG at least, but I'd like to keep it RBY. That just goes with the theme of the challenge.
Well it's not like you can actually consult the fossil in game, you would still be consulting the Helix. I personally don't think that it would matter if someone wanted to do it on another game.

Old February 23rd, 2014 (08:47 PM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

Quote:
Well it's not like you can actually consult the fossil in game, you would still be consulting the Helix. I personally don't think that it would matter if someone wanted to do it on another game.
It would be on RBY since that's how it is on Twitch. The way it's being planned basically goes with it, to be suited to RBY. So that's that, really. If they go on to play Crystal or something and things come out of that, then there'd be either another thread for TPP: Crystal or different rules in the TPP Challenge thread for that playthrough.

Quote:
Actually RSE could possibly work because Shrromish & Wingull come with Absorb & Water Gun. The hard part would def be gyms with a huge jump from the surrounding area's Pokémon and the E4- but you could potentially counter that with legendaries, idk.
RSE are always pulling through for me...lmao.

Old February 23rd, 2014 (08:56 PM).
♥ maraala ♥

RSE are always pulling through for me...lmao.
no kidding haha

o btw TPP challenge could have multiple "paths"- the dome path and helix path? basically just a variation but hey
Dwebble - #184
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links