The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Itz Spadezz
Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by .EJ View Post
I would probably start the habitat challenge or Speed run. However I'm afraid some jackass will Photoshop their evidence to show just how "fast" they are...

Habitat sounds cool though.
I would do a habitat if you made it sounds pretty cool and I'm always up for a new fresh way to play the game.

(Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova)
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:38 PM
hack1
Dragon Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteThemWrong View Post
what about one where you only use pokemon that would likely live around where you are? like i live in arizona, a desert, so sandshrew, cacnea, trapinch, etc.
Good idea. I really want to do challenge like that.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:55 AM
zappyspiker
I'm back... sort of...

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz Spadezz View Post
I would do a habitat if you made it sounds pretty cool and I'm always up for a new fresh way to play the game.
I started the HG/SS Habitat Challenge yet although no one has started it yet

ZAPPYSPIKER

Old June 18th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Blu·Ray
Manta Ray Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Blu·Ray
What about a Single Ability challenge? Where you are only allowed to use Pokémons with a single ability?

Old June 18th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Itz Spadezz
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappyspiker View Post
I was gonna join but I dont want to restart my soul silver and I can't emulate it. If it was any different gen I would have been able to do it.

(Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova)
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Derblu
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmageddon View Post
:D

I can think of three ways we could do it.

a) The challenge ends when the 8th gym leader is defeated.
b) You must use only the type of ONE of the E4 members (eg. in Sinnoh you must monotype with either Bug, Fire, Ground or Psychic).
c) You can use any of the Pokemon you have used for any of the gym battles.
You could also only be able to use the pokemon from your team that correspond with the current e4 member is. So if you had this team in emerald:

Sableye
Walrein
Flygon
Sharpedo
Salamence
Banette

You could use Sableye and Sharpedo for Sidney because they're dark type
You could use Sableye and Banette for Phoebe because they're ghost type
You could use Walrein for Glacia because it's ice type
You could use Flygon and Salamence for Drake because they're dragon type
You could use Walrein and Sharpedo for Wallace because they're water type

O_o It's a terrible team, but you get my point. (I hope)
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:47 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappyspiker View Post
Frikkin' sweet dude, I'll prolly join. I don't see it though...

How about speed runs?
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:58 PM
WriteThemWrong
LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice

Nature: Lax
there's an ostrich farm no too far from my town, dodrio pwnage

yeah i don't see that challenge topic on here either. i'm not really active enough on to start a challenge thread myself, if anyone wants to start one for the habitat idea then be my guest.
It's hard talking to cactus.

I think my head is dying
It's like being trapped in a room of smells
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:40 AM
zappyspiker
I'm back... sort of...

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz Spadezz View Post
I was gonna join but I dont want to restart my soul silver and I can't emulate it. If it was any different gen I would have been able to do it.
I might start another one but ain't sure yet. Though probably someone else may start a different Gen

Quote:
Frikkin' sweet dude, I'll prolly join. I don't see it though...

How about speed runs?
It's on the 2nd page now. And what about Speed runs?

ZAPPYSPIKER

Old June 19th, 2010, 03:20 AM
The Sceptile King
Just came back from a break!

maybe the fr/lg nuzlocke challenge

me?I'm in a fr/lg monotype

X Water Montype Challenge 4/8
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Sleet
Forum Lurker

I would try a Habitat challenge after my Monotype one, Although I live in the middle of nowhere so my team would be:
A dog ( Growlithe maybe)
A bird (Pidgey?)
A Rat (Rattata )
A Cat (Meowth?)
A Dragon (Dragonite?) (Just kidding about the Dragon )

Red Crystal Ruby Diamond White
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Charmageddon
Charizard has evolved into ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derblu View Post
You could also only be able to use the pokemon from your team that correspond with the current e4 member is. So if you had this team in emerald:

Sableye
Walrein
Flygon
Sharpedo
Salamence
Banette

You could use Sableye and Sharpedo for Sidney because they're dark type
You could use Sableye and Banette for Phoebe because they're ghost type
You could use Walrein for Glacia because it's ice type
You could use Flygon and Salamence for Drake because they're dragon type
You could use Walrein and Sharpedo for Wallace because they're water type

O_o It's a terrible team, but you get my point. (I hope)
I think that would be too hard, and would require too much grinding, and would really limit your choices.

I went with B in the end.

Old June 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

I meant openng up a speed run thread. This way people can compete for the best time. They must supply evidence of their final time. The evidence is subject to evaluation, etc, etc.
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Gulpin
poisonous
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I think a cool/fun challenge would be to make a new team after each gym leader, only using Pokemon you can find while getting from the city of the previous gym leader to the next gym leader. So you can catch any Pokemon while going up to Pewter City and use them against Brock, then deposit all but one in the PC, and make a whole new team to use against Misty (weather it is just one Pokemon or a whole team of 6). And for the E4 you can use any Pokemon that you used for any of the gym leaders, but at the level you deposited them.
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:06 AM
WriteThemWrong
LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deku View Post
I think a cool/fun challenge would be to make a new team after each gym leader, only using Pokemon you can find while getting from the city of the previous gym leader to the next gym leader. So you can catch any Pokemon while going up to Pewter City and use them against Brock, then deposit all but one in the PC, and make a whole new team to use against Misty (weather it is just one Pokemon or a whole team of 6). And for the E4 you can use any Pokemon that you used for any of the gym leaders, but at the level you deposited them.
i like that idea, i like any idea of using new pokemon or ones you haven't used before. pidgey or zubat would be on every team in red and blue :D. it would also be hard around saffron and celadon because there's only that little route and patch of grass in between them
It's hard talking to cactus.

I think my head is dying
It's like being trapped in a room of smells
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM
The Sceptile King
Just came back from a break!

hey people
i made the home challenge

X Water Montype Challenge 4/8
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Unionhack
Yes Indeed

I recently finished a Nuzclocke run on Silver version (and by finished I mean I lost before the fifth gym leader), so I'm not doing another one of those for a while.

I once did a one-gender-only run. Rules are that the gender of your starter dictates what kind of gender pokemon you can catch. Believe it or not, it makes it quite a bit harder to catch a few pokemon.
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote:
I meant openng up a speed run thread. This way people can compete for the best time. They must supply evidence of their final time. The evidence is subject to evaluation, etc, etc.
Everyone who wants to do this should join PROJECT ALPHA FAN. We're working on beating the record for Blue Version (which according to the Guiness Book of Video Games Records currently is at 1:55). Except its not really a free for all challenge, its more of a team challenge. Nevertheless, I think it would be cool to try to collectively get the record in every game.
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:01 AM
emoxy
Psyduck

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to emoxy
I had this idea in mind a while back, the Mono-AttackType challenge. Basically, your Pokemon's moves must correspond to their type.

For example, a Blastoise would only be allowed to use a moveset such as Surf, Hydro Cannon, Withdraw, Rain Dance, all of which are Water type. (Obviously by considering this, dual-type Pokemon are a lot more useful probably)

Coming off my mind right away are moves such as Confuse Ray which could only be present on Ghost Pokemon.

The rule would be that you must delete moves of type not matching that Pokemon as soon as possible, either by overwriting them with the appropriate moves or deleting them. It would be a must to enforce that by the time you meet the move deleter, you MUST delete all non-matching type moves.

An alternative way to make the challenge easier to implement would be to do it the other way round, i.e. your Pokemon's moves must NOT be of the same type as the Pokemon itself; i.e. a Charizard with Earthquake, Rock Slide, Swords Dance and Dragon Claw.
(This would make the challenge much easier, imo, as you have a lot more coverage, though you lose STAB)

Old June 25th, 2010, 07:00 PM
amberfunk
Almost master trainer

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to amberfunk
I like that idea for a challenge emoxy. You should start a challenge like that. I would definitely join It sounds like a lot of fun.
I put up a challenge myself today. I hope some people join and its not just me doing my challenge all alone. I made a challenge where you can only use pokemon that are similar to pets in the real world.

Old June 29th, 2010, 07:18 AM
crehym

Nature: Quiet
I was thinking of a ShinyGoldX nuzlocke challenge since that game is pretty hard.
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:44 AM
ArcanineOod
DESU.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ArcanineOod
Has anyone got any ideas for Mystery Dungeon challenges? I know that most of the conventional challenges would be pretty hard/impossible to do because you and your partner have to be different types, but still. I also realise that the Mystery Dungeon games take EONS to complete, so any threads would probably die before anyone completed the challenge. It's just that I have so many spare MD cartridges and I'd love to do a couple of challenges on them.

Here are some challenges I thought of for MD. Not amazing, but still. Worth chucking out there for opinions.

~ No Gummis - no eating gummis, so no IQ increase. Cuts off some useful IQ skills (such as nonsleeper).
~ No Held Items - Held items are a large part of MD, so a challenge where you can't use them could be... Challenging.
~ No Recruiting - Just you and your partner all the way through. I know quite a few people do this anyway, so perhaps not.
~ No Power Ups - Such as Ginseng and Protein/Iron etc. Possibly used in conjuction with the No Gummi challenge.
~ No Wonder Orbs - No using Orbs. Could be a challenge for those who rely on Petrify Orbs or the like to see them through Monster Houses.
~ A challenge where only you use Moves - turn moves off for your partner and only let them use their regular attack.
~ No Extra Dungeons - Only visit the dungeons essential to the storyline.

What do you lot think? Any potential for an MD challenge or two, or is it best to focus on the main games?
xX
Old June 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
I originally had a sort of mystery dungeon challenge, where you basically played like mystery dungeon: you could only have 3 Pokemon at a time, you sharked in your first two from the normal mystery dungeon starters list, and you had to have one of them with you at all times.
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:06 AM
ArcanineOod
DESU.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ArcanineOod
Hmm. That would require you having to use a cheating device, though, and many people don't like to do that.
xX
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Gulpin
poisonous
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
A cool challenge to do would be to only use the first 6 (or 5 if you want a slot for an HM Slave) Pokemon that you encounter. So if you run into a Bidoof and faint it you must catch a Bidoof as soon as possible. And if you want different Pokemon on your team you can take the games slow and look for Pokemon where you want to.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links