Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index



Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Post Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #801    
Old January 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Enigma's Avatar
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Nature: Hardy

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
So you basically just have to SR til you get a Ralts with the right nature, then go around with Ralts leading to get your other team.
While this is a good idea, Ralts are usually very rare, as well as Abra. Getting them with the right nature, as well as the right ability (both have two abilites) takes FOREVER. Trust me, I bred a Synchronize Abra of every nature, including neutral natures, in SoulSilver. It took weeks. Imagine trying to actually look for the pokemon in the wild. *shivers*

Unless we were allowed to hack in a correct natured/ability Abra/Ralts, it'd be difficult just to start the challenge. If we were allowed to do so, then I see no problem with this challenge at all. However, the whole 'hacking' portion would also leave some people out that don't use emulators. Sure, they could trade from another game, but they'd have to be lucky to have a synchronizer with the correct nature...

/thoughtful rant

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
  #802    
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Sooyun's Avatar
Sooyun
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
So you basically just have to SR til you get a Ralts with the right nature, then go around with Ralts leading to get your other team.
And by then, you would have spent more time than it takes to get through half the game.

Anyway, I have an idea for a challenge if you guys would consider giving it a cursory glance?

Title: "Thank You For The Gift." Challenge

Playing method: Emulator or GBA/DS. However, an Emulator will make things easier if you don't have more than one gaming system , a friend to play w/, or a DS w/ a GBA cartridge slot.

Generations: I-V (RGBY/GSC remakes are allowed in place of the originals)

Pokemon Restrictions: Event pokes (Spiky Pichu, etc.) allowed; Wandering [Entei, Raikou, Lati twins, Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos) allowed

No mascots: Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Dialga, Palkia, Arceus, Suicune, Mew (Nintendo events included), Mewtwo (same as Mew), Zekrom, Reshiram, Deoxys, Zorua, Zoroark

Basically, if it played a major part in a game/movie (idk how important Spiky Pichu was to the plot since I stopped watching movies after 4Ever) then it can't be used.


Basic Premise: Each trainer must play the game of their choice with Pokemon not registered as their own, meaning they were traded. I'm sure everyone remembers how Ash's Charizard was originally another trainer's and began to get more and more disobedient as he gained levels? Or, for those who have pets, you may remember how your dog, etc. didn't obey commands given for the first few months because it was still learning to trust you and get used to you. That's the challenge aspect. Traded Pokemon gain levels faster, and evolve quicker than Pokemon obtained normally. The more they level up, the more disobedient they tend to grow when you don't have enough badges. The goal is to get through the game trying to keep your Pokemon obedient/happy as you win badges and earn their respect.

Challenge Ends: For all games (yes, even HGSS), the challenge ends when you beat the Elite 4. By then, you would have received the 8th badge that makes Pokemon over lvl 70 listen to you.

***Special Condition for 3rd Gen and beyond: Anyone who plays RSE, DPPt, HGSS, BW must have at least one Pokemon participate in a Contest and win the Master class. I don't recommend the Pokeathon unless you have a fast computer or are playing on a real DS.

Hacking: Hacking is allowed for changing the OT of gamers playing 4th and 5th gen on emulators (no wifi and DPPt, BW freezes when attempting to connect and run 2 games), other than that, all gamers must legitimately trade.

(Yes, I will participate in my own challenge)
X FC: 4484-9012-9702

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
  #803    
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Sydian's Avatar
Sydian
But you're still hungry.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Hey, that seems pretty fresh. I like it a lot. I could easily do it too, I trade with myself all the time. lol Though I ain't got the time for it. I know I get annoyed when those traded Pokemon don't listen too, haha. But yeah, I really like that idea. :)

paired to crono
  #804    
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
Enigma's Avatar
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Nature: Hardy
I would participate in that challenge. It sounds a little too easy, even if you have the one Master Contest that you have to complete. Pokemon that disobey don't do it all the time, and if they do, they usually just use a random move. Give your pokemon all attacks that do damage (ex. not moves like Toxic or Reflect) and overlevel them, and it should be a pretty easy game.
I almost thought that having pokemon assigned by other people was a good idea, with the twist being that those assigners would be like the OT of the pokemon. I think that would take too long, though, especially for those that want six pokemon, or those that want to get started immediately.

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
  #805    
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:23 PM
Sooyun's Avatar
Sooyun
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Thank you. Plus, it's perfect for those who like teaching Frustration/Return >:D I was playing through HG before starting my Mono challenge with only the Pokemon given to me through events (Cyndaquil, Togepi, Eevee, etc.) and thought 'Why are they registered under my name if people basically gave them to me? I didn't catch them in battle, so they aren't really mine!" lol
X FC: 4484-9012-9702

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
  #806    
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:29 PM
Enigma's Avatar
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Nature: Hardy
Too easy or not, I would definitely still post up the challenge. It's a simple concept, but a great one nevertheless. :P
Speaking of which, I have so many challenges that I want to do right now, it's crazy trying to decide which one to do. I did my last challenge in two days, starting yesterday and completing today. I'm full of ultimate challenges right now as well...hmm.

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
  #807    
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:33 PM
Sooyun's Avatar
Sooyun
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoRogue View Post
I would participate in that challenge. It sounds a little too easy, even if you have the one Master Contest that you have to complete. Pokemon that disobey don't do it all the time, and if they do, they usually just use a random move. Give your pokemon all attacks that do damage (ex. not moves like Toxic or Reflect) and overlevel them, and it should be a pretty easy game.
I almost thought that having pokemon assigned by other people was a good idea, with the twist being that those assigners would be like the OT of the pokemon. I think that would take too long, though, especially for those that want six pokemon, or those that want to get started immediately.
Yeah. If you think about it, with over leveling and the right moveset, the game could go pretty quickly. Then again I like a quick game. I find grinding tedious so I wouldn't battle until I was 10+ levels over Clair or something. However, if you combine it with say... monotyping, or only baby Pokemon, etc. it could be challenging. (Though I could have leveled 10+ for Clair even with my Sunny Day-Solar Beam Typhlosion, Magmar, and Vulpix ;;. *doesn't want to remember Lorelei in FR T_T*
X FC: 4484-9012-9702

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
  #808    
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Sydian's Avatar
Sydian
But you're still hungry.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
I beg to differ about difficulty. I traded a Tyrogue to Diamond for a challenge once, and it fainted itself in battle all the time from disobeying. v_v

paired to crono
  #809    
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:46 PM
Enigma's Avatar
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Nature: Hardy
I guess that I'd have to say that difficulty varies with the different experiences people have while playing a game. My Mr. Mime in my Yellow challenge never fainted from disobeying. I would have to mention that it'd also depends on what Pokemon you use, since Mr. Mime's special was high (since both specials were the same thing).
So, I guess that if someone wants to make this more challenging, they can use whatever pokemon they desire, and the same applies if you just want a quick challenge to brag to your friends about. xP

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
  #810    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:34 AM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
It seems like if you're just really really careful you can do this easily. First few gyms they wouldn't obey, but if you did have 6 Pokemon, they wouldn't have to be as highly leveled.

(I'd still do it though)
  #811    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
chaos11011's Avatar
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
Are you allowed to trade mulitple pokemon (as in more then 6) because i would do it on White, and like every 2 routes I would substitute one of my pokemon (randomly) and pick a random pokemon to substitute it with the same lvl and legit moves. (and a diffrent OT of course)

Which leads me to this.

The Replacement Challenge
[song] Todd and Riley were oh so sad, then they came cross a Pokesav. Then they obtained an DS Game and a Emulator so rad. Now after every 3 routes the pick a Pokemon to have. [/song]

Yeah I refrenced a Child's show, come at me bro.

Basicly in this challenge after every 3 routes you replace one of your pokemon (randomly) with another Pokemon (again random) Confuse here's an example.

After I beat Falkner on Heart Gold I have a team of Pidgey, Cyndaquil, Bellsprout, Geodude, Zubat and Beedrill. And with the the use of a RNG it picks 4, the 4th pokemon on my team is Geodude so I replace that. Then the RNG picks 266 so I add Silcoon to my party.

You MUST have 6 Pokemon in your team so you wont have an easy time Soloing. I honestly think this is a good challenge because say you have a pokemon you really like or a Pokemon that can easily beat a gym, and BAM you get a pokemon you dislike/ pokemon who sucks against the gym.

I recomend playing on a Emulator for Easy acess to the Pokemon. If you dont use an Emulator, use the PC from one of your other games (AI I have 50 pokemon from the PC on SS so I use the RNG to choose that) and breed the pokemon / train it to the proper level.
  #812    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Sooyun's Avatar
Sooyun
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Are you allowed to trade mulitple pokemon (as in more than 6), because I would do it on White, and like every 2 routes I would substitute one of my pokemon (randomly) and pick a random pokemon to substitute it with the same lvl and legit moves. (and a diffrent OT of course)
You can trade in as many as you want, but you'll want to keep a regular team that you'll use for the majority of your game (for simplicity's sake I suppose). However, if you want to change Pokemon because one or two just aren't working for you, then yes, you can trade in as long as they're lvl 5 and under a different OT. I'm going to play it on White myself, but I'm adding the unevolved/baby challenge to the mix.
X FC: 4484-9012-9702

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
  #813    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Pokémon Grey's Avatar
Pokémon Grey
Generation V
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Unova
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
how about a challenge where u pick only 2 egg groups
to use
  #814    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
IMO not a hard challenge at all. Even if you could only use one egg group, groups like Humanshape have access to Magmar, Electabuzz, Jynx, Machoke, and Alakazam. That's a pretty nice team right there. Egg group challenge would just be another one of those challenges that selects a set of Pokemon you can use. We're trying to stay away from that.
  #815    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Sooyun's Avatar
Sooyun
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Egg group challenges are very easy, like myrrhman said. Plus, it would be too close to a Monotype challenge since some Pokemon in the same egg group usually share 1 or 2 typings. BTW, I created the thread for my challenge this morning. I'm just wondering whether you all are in the process of giving your "Yea" or "Nay"? Unless you're filtering through the dozens of other challenges looking for the good/decent ones? lol
X FC: 4484-9012-9702

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
  #816    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Enigma's Avatar
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Nature: Hardy
The egg group challenge sounds a little easy, unless you mixed it up a little. Like having a party of 6, and your pokemon must altogether belong to 12 different groups (similar to the 12 type challenge). That would be a challenge I would gladly participate in.

I just finished my Duospecies run for the 2nd gen on Crystal. Just gotta do Emerald and a 4th gen game, and I'm done. I could probably finish by tomorrow....

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
  #817    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
Xilfer's Avatar
Xilfer
'twas fun.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Your mind
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Me! Me!

Maybe something where you go through the whole game with pokemon that can't evolve.

example: you say you want six pokemon from the hoenn region:

Absol
Sableye
Mawile
Plusle
Volbeat
Torkoal

No picking pairs, plusle and minun together is not allowed, Illumise and Volbeat together is not allowed, that's just to make it harder
also, the next poster is the one that picks your pokemon for you.

I am going to start this thread myself.
Presently gone from PC. Not sure if I'll ever return.
  #818    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Enigma's Avatar
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilfer123 View Post
Me! Me!

Maybe something where you go through the whole game with pokemon that can't evolve.

example: you say you want six pokemon from the hoenn region:

Absol
Sableye
Mawile
Plusle
Volbeat
Torkoal

No picking pairs, plusle and minun together is not allowed, Illumise and Volbeat together is not allowed, that's just to make it harder ;)
also, the next poster is the one that picks your pokemon for you.

I am going to start this thread myself.
Pretty sure that this is the same thing as the No Family challenge, which we already have. :/


EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see it anywhere on the first page, so maybe you could just recreate that one? (if everyone else actually wants to do that challenge)

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"

Last edited by Enigma; January 2nd, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
  #819    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Yeah it's been done before, minus the 'no pairs' restriction. I mean, I'd do it, but then again, some of my favorite Pokemon don't evolve (Lapras, Heracross, Sableye, Spiritomb). Also, if you do the no pairs thing, the already limited selection of Pokemon is further edited down. I think its fine if you end up getting pairs/counterparts, only a couple are like the same type (Plusle/Minun, Volbeat/Illumise and Solrock/Lunatone). I really don't see why you would need to take out Pokemon if they have a counterpart.
  #820    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Enigma's Avatar
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Nature: Hardy
I'd probably do it, since I never had the chance to do the No Family Challenge. I do have to agree though, the no pairs thing is kind of pointless. You wouldn't have much diversity anyway if you did use a pair.
My Personality Challenge is finally getting off to a start, if anyone wants me to assign them a team.

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
  #821    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
Sydian's Avatar
Sydian
But you're still hungry.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Quote:
IMO not a hard challenge at all. Even if you could only use one egg group, groups like Humanshape have access to Magmar, Electabuzz, Jynx, Machoke, and Alakazam. That's a pretty nice team right there. Egg group challenge would just be another one of those challenges that selects a set of Pokemon you can use. We're trying to stay away from that.
Wait, I'm sorry, what? When did we say we wanted to stay away from challenges that you get to choose your team? Guys, no offense, but when you say things like that, it's really discouraging. We don't need every challenge to be strikingly hard. We don't need every challenge to have Pokemon assigned by another challenger. Like I said before, we're doing a good job of keeping a good variety of difficulty with the challenges we have. Let's not take that away, please. Just because that challenge seems easy doesn't mean you have to make it easy. Just because someone might hypothetically choose that certain team if they choose Humanshape as an Egg Group doesn't mean everyone that participates in the challenge will choose an team like that.

Sorry, I just felt like that was a little rude to say we're steering clear of those types of challenges, because we're not. Just because a challenge doesn't seem "challenging" to some doesn't mean it's not to others. Please keep that in mind, and realize that you guys aren't the ones approving the challenges. I am.

/a bit irked today, sorry

paired to crono
  #822    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:45 PM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
I certainly didn't mean to sound discouraging when I said that. Nor do I think that Pokemon assigned by another challenger in general are any harder/easier than those that you select your own team. I understand that the only person who gets to approve challenges is you.

I guess what I was trying to say was that I'm sorta sick of challenges that just groups the Pokemon together, and then you pick a group. Monotype, Color, Special Pairs, Beginning letter, Anime, that's all they do. You pick a group, and then you pick 3-6 from that group. While they are all different, and range in difficulty, they're all so similar.

Challenges like the Nuzlocke/Solo/Favorite/Scramble are more fun (in my opinion) because they're all so different from each other. In the Nuzlocke, you can just have bad luck and be screwed over if you find yet another pidgey as your first Pokemon on a route or if one of your hard trained Pokemon faints to an unlucky Critical Hit. In the solo you only get one single Pokemon to use, but it can be anyone you want. The favorite can screw you over if you like a Pokemon like Caterpie and it unluckily gets picked. In the scramble, you are in no control of what your team looks like. I like these challenges so much because there is so much variety in them. I guess in my frustration of another game of categories, I misspoke. I apologize.
  #823    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
Sooyun's Avatar
Sooyun
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post


Wait, I'm sorry, what? When did we say we wanted to stay away from challenges that you get to choose your team? Guys, no offense, but when you say things like that, it's really discouraging. We don't need every challenge to be strikingly hard. We don't need every challenge to have Pokemon assigned by another challenger. Like I said before, we're doing a good job of keeping a good variety of difficulty with the challenges we have. Let's not take that away, please. Just because that challenge seems easy doesn't mean you have to make it easy. Just because someone might hypothetically choose that certain team if they choose Humanshape as an Egg Group doesn't mean everyone that participates in the challenge will choose an team like that.

Sorry, I just felt like that was a little rude to say we're steering clear of those types of challenges, because we're not. Just because a challenge doesn't seem "challenging" to some doesn't mean it's not to others. Please keep that in mind, and realize that you guys aren't the ones approving the challenges. I am.

/a bit irked today, sorry
Sorry you're irked today Sydian.

No disrespect to you, but myrrhman does have a point in regard to the constant groupings, classifications, and exclusions (like this isn't already shoved down our throats by the games themselves) that is present in a lot of challenges of late. How many Pokemon are there now? 649? There is so much potential that can be done as far as changing the way the games are played beyond egg groups, monotypes, etc. That's one of the reasons people love the games because the games set themselves as blank slates that make possibilities endless. Why limit ourselves to a few types of challenges simply because they'll get the most feedback when there can be many things possible that people haven't even thought of -or have thought of, but are too timid to voice for fear of it being too different to be noticed?
X FC: 4484-9012-9702

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
  #824    
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:38 PM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooyun View Post
Sorry you're irked today Sydian.

No disrespect to you, but myrrhman does have a point in regard to the constant groupings, classifications, and exclusions (like this isn't already shoved down our throats by the games themselves) that is present in a lot of challenges of late. How many Pokemon are there now? 649? There is so much potential that can be done as far as changing the way the games are played beyond egg groups, monotypes, etc. That's one of the reasons people love the games because the games set themselves as blank slates that make possibilities endless. Why limit ourselves to a few types of challenges simply because they'll get the most feedback when there can be many things possible that people haven't even thought of -or have thought of, but are too timid to voice for fear of it being too different to be noticed?
I think you have it wrong. The problem isn't that people are scared that challenges will be too different, the problem is that they don't know how similar they are to other challenges. The invention of Monotype Challenges was a great thing. I believe it was the spark that led to there even being a Challenge section, because the challenge was so popular that people started trying to think of other things like it. It is great because there are some easy types and some hard types, and some easy gens and some hard gens. But the main thing is that it was the first of its kind. Because it is so popular, unfortunately all the other challenges similar to it (as discussed in above post) are just going to be compared to it, and unfortunately, not many, if any, of them will be seen as on par with the monotype challenge for it to really get off the ground.
  #825    
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:27 AM
Enigma's Avatar
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Nature: Hardy
I feel like this is a bad time to propose a new challenge

How about a lyrics challenge, if it hasn't been done already? Pick your favorite song, pick up to six lines from the song, and pick a pokemon for each line?

*so eager that she already chose her to-be team*:
Spoiler:
Song: Walk by Pantera

Can't you see I'm easily bothered by persistence <-- Slaking (lazy people are bother by people bothering them)
One step from lashing out at you... <-- Primeape (U mad?)
You want in to get under my skin <-- Arbok (Shed Skin for an ability)
And call yourself a friend <-- Plusle (Cheerleading, happy pokemon with Helping Hand)
I've got more friends like you <-- Minun (Same as above)
What do I do? <-- Ditto (Ditto does whatever you do, other wise it has no options)


"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"

Last edited by Enigma; January 3rd, 2011 at 01:43 AM.
Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:17 PM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com. Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

Copyright
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com. PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.