Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 11th, 2011 (11:58 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Sooyun:
I'm halfway (well 45% ish if you count the post game. You guys do know that there are already roms patched with 98%-100% English right?
I'm aware of them, but I prefer to see the official names and stuff. And the dialogue can be funny the way that Nintendo does in English. Just look at what they did for Team Magma in their Hideout in Emerald. Those were funny lines, man. And Platinum (TG) is decent too.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old February 12th, 2011 (01:02 PM).
560cool.
Probably back.

Nature: Relaxed
I got a party wipeout in Quartz. I think I'm starting over.
Stupid Steel/Bug or something in the 1st Gym. .-. lol. I just came unprepared...
See you next time, Baro ! XD;

Old February 12th, 2011 (01:14 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
One thing I like about challenges (especially on RBY) is that the 'fun' in the game for me is to complete the challenge. If I'm just playing Pokemon normally, the fun is to train my Pokemon, grow with them, and catch as many as I can. Since I don't have to worry about that, it means I can run at 5000% speed most of the time. So I don't have time to get bored of the challenge, because I've already beaten it by the time I start getting bored. I mean, take my history of challenges. I've now done all 15 monotypes in RBY, about 1/4 now in GSC (I just beat Normal before I started posting today), a few in RSE, and 2 in DPPt. I've beaten like 7 solos in RBY, and none in any of the other gens. Also for all of my ultimate challenges, I've almost always finished the first gen, but not the others. Its because the others are longer, and that's about how long it takes me to get bored.

In other news, on to Grass on GSC (I think)
Old February 12th, 2011 (03:06 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
One thing I like about challenges (especially on RBY) is that the 'fun' in the game for me is to complete the challenge. If I'm just playing Pokemon normally, the fun is to train my Pokemon, grow with them, and catch as many as I can. Since I don't have to worry about that, it means I can run at 5000% speed most of the time. So I don't have time to get bored of the challenge, because I've already beaten it by the time I start getting bored. I mean, take my history of challenges. I've now done all 15 monotypes in RBY, about 1/4 now in GSC (I just beat Normal before I started posting today), a few in RSE, and 2 in DPPt. I've beaten like 7 solos in RBY, and none in any of the other gens. Also for all of my ultimate challenges, I've almost always finished the first gen, but not the others. Its because the others are longer, and that's about how long it takes me to get bored.

In other news, on to Grass on GSC (I think)
I agree with you so much. I can finish Pokemon Red in no time at all with super speed on. It's just something about D/P/Pt that makes them drag on and on. And R/B/Y is even easier because you know what to do off by heart and you could finish the game in only a few hours.
Old February 12th, 2011 (03:24 PM).
Sooyun
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU

Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
I agree with you so much. I can finish Pokemon Red in no time at all with super speed on. It's just something about D/P/Pt that makes them drag on and on. And R/B/Y is even easier because you know what to do off by heart and you could finish the game in only a few hours.
I just did my fire mono on Pt and yes, it feels like an eternity. Even though I played 24:09 all together, it feels even longer because it takes the linearity from the first three generations (at least in RSE it didn't annoy me) and takes it to the next level x2. Like, there's a million and one things you have to do just to get all the HMs. You can never just go to a gym and battle the leader, there are a million other hoops of fire to jump through (though they do this even more in Black cause there are more NPC's, but at least it feels like Plasma/N is worth my time compared to beating up Galaxia/Galaxis/whatever.).

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
Old February 12th, 2011 (08:10 PM).
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Argh, just had a big fail. Forgot to delete my current SS save file before beginning my challenge. xD Good thing I didn't get that far.

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
Old February 12th, 2011 (08:15 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by InfernoRogue:
Argh, just had a big fail. Forgot to delete my current SS save file before beginning my challenge. xD Good thing I didn't get that far.
Worst feature of Pokemon games right there. It's screwed up two of my challenges.
Old February 12th, 2011 (08:24 PM).
Enigma
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
Worst feature of Pokemon games right there. It's screwed up two of my challenges.
I could have swore that they changed it in HG/SS, but I guess not. It's kind of lame, Pokemon players are so used to just saving in-game to overwrite the save, without having to delete it. Then they change it so that you have to delete it. :/ I'll probably never get used to that.

Old February 13th, 2011 (12:33 AM).
560cool.
Probably back.

I had that issue when I started a new game on my SoulSilver. Completely forgot about that, and played until Violet. XD; Not really that much, but still...

Anyways, I'm looking at the Corna Pokedex (the region in Quartz) trying to decide what to do to slaughter that Leader. I need to learn the types of Pokemon...;_; It's my first time playing Quartz.

Old February 13th, 2011 (01:50 PM).
Enigma
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by 560cool.:
I had that issue when I started a new game on my SoulSilver. Completely forgot about that, and played until Violet. XD; Not really that much, but still...

Anyways, I'm looking at the Corna Pokedex (the region in Quartz) trying to decide what to do to slaughter that Leader. I need to learn the types of Pokemon...;_; It's my first time playing Quartz.
I played a long time ago. Aren't the starters like elemental eggs or something?

Old February 14th, 2011 (11:12 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

So how busy are people? I remember we had discussed around New Year's that idea for the PC challenge event where you are organized into two teams, everyone does a certain challenge for the team, etc. and someone thought we should try a test version of it first to get any kinks worked out. People up for it or too busy?
Old February 14th, 2011 (11:24 AM).
mondays suck
:)

I'd be up for it, as long as it's GRBYGSCRSE. It's not like I ever do anything better I'd have to do.
Old February 14th, 2011 (11:31 AM).
560cool.
Probably back.

Here's something I thought about while Nuzlocking Red. What about something like "Clean" Nuzlocke ? It might be Game Over whenever you lost your first Pokemon...

Once again, this is really hard, as fainting means that your adventure has ended. What do you guys think ?

Old February 14th, 2011 (11:37 AM).
mondays suck
:)

Ouch. I have so far lost my starter every time in a Nuzlocke, no matter what.
And I keep losing one Pokemon before the first gym, always before its first level up.
I really wouldn't get far in such a challenge, unless I do an easy solo run maybe..or get lucky
Old February 14th, 2011 (12:46 PM).
560cool.
Probably back.

I think heavy overgrinding is the answer... but that would bore me to death.
Maybe it's not such a good idea...

Old February 14th, 2011 (02:24 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by 560cool.:
Here's something I thought about while Nuzlocking Red. What about something like "Clean" Nuzlocke ? It might be Game Over whenever you lost your first Pokemon...

Once again, this is really hard, as fainting means that your adventure has ended. What do you guys think ?
Well, I did my Yellow Nuzlocke without losing anyone. But Yellow was sort of cheating since I started with Electric, found Butterfree (Psychic), and then got Charmander and Squirtle and Bulbasaur where there was a 100% chance of me getting them when and where I wanted. So I knew for a fact that I would have a well varied team and I just made sure that they were overleveled at all times.
Old February 15th, 2011 (04:04 PM).
Alli
you smiled at me

Nature: Timid
I personally would rather have that event during this year's get together, since it's during summer (er, well it's summer during America...lol, but most people don't have school and it's usually planned on a weekend, you get me?).

Also AGAIN, my apologies for not being all in here and paying attention to stuff. v_v But to compensate for it, I think it was yesterday that I deleted a thread waiting on approval that was like...asking how you benefit from TMs. I was just like "wut" lol :( That's not a challenge silly.

paired with klippy
bae is abnegation
Old February 15th, 2011 (05:15 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
By the way, I finally beat HeartGold on the Pokebro's challenge. I ended up beating the Elite Four 19 times to prepare for Red, lol, and I still had to use a Max Revive (L72s mostly).I also had to edit the post I made when I had 7 Kanto badges because no one is posting...

Thank God for the Choice Items, they saved my butt against Lance (and Red a bit).

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old February 15th, 2011 (05:42 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

I freaking hate Red. 4th least favorite fight behind May on the route between Slateport and Mauville, Gary in Silph Co. and any Sabrina fight.
Old February 15th, 2011 (05:56 PM). Edited February 15th, 2011 by Weavile05.
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Nature: Lax
I'm gonna put it here for those of you who don't look at the Monotype thread.
I found a shiny Stantler.... and ran out of pokeballs trying to catch it.... I'm not sure whether to be completely annoyed or laughing my face off.

oh, and btw. Have you ever considering Stickying the most popular challenges?

Hoenn, 1 Badge
My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
Old February 15th, 2011 (06:44 PM).
Alli
you smiled at me

I'm not in favor of stickying the most popular challenges because I don't like stickies cluttering the top of the forum. The most popular ones don't even move off the first page, so there's really no point in doing that. Plus that'd be about...four stickies (Monotype, Nuzlocke, Favorite, Solo, I think those are the most popular idek, don't wanna check) so then there'd be 6 + any events that might come around. I'm not in favor of that at all, not for such a simple section. :(

paired with klippy
bae is abnegation
Old February 15th, 2011 (06:47 PM).
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Nature: Lax
Alright, just thought it might be a good idea. But I do see your point, that could end up with ALOOOOOT of stickies.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
Old February 15th, 2011 (07:00 PM).
Alli
you smiled at me

Yeah. It's nice how it is I think. ^-^; ALSO. Sorry about the Stantler. :( I always have a bunch of Pokeballs with me, just in case I bump into a shiny...haha.

paired with klippy
bae is abnegation
Old February 15th, 2011 (08:08 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
I'm not in favor of stickying the most popular challenges because I don't like stickies cluttering the top of the forum. The most popular ones don't even move off the first page, so there's really no point in doing that. Plus that'd be about...four stickies (Monotype, Nuzlocke, Favorite, Solo, I think those are the most popular idek, don't wanna check) so then there'd be 6 + any events that might come around. I'm not in favor of that at all, not for such a simple section.
But syd, most of us are Lazy. We put all our energy into doing challenges. No energy to scroll half a page down...
Old February 15th, 2011 (08:11 PM).
Alli
you smiled at me

I have the energy to approve and read the stuff that gets rejected YOU CAN SCROLL. >:( lmao

paired with klippy
bae is abnegation
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links