Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 21st, 2011 (08:43 PM). Edited February 21st, 2011 by myrrhman.
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote originally posted by InfernoRogue:
Whoo~! Finally finished my Favorite Challenge! :D Took forever because I played until I beat Red (although it wasn't the finish requirement) and I had to play on my DS. I took all day today to train my Pokemon to about level 75 for Red.
Now I'm going to go start the Hoenn portion of my solo with Dewgong. :D
Oh my god i love Dewgong now. Ever since my Ice Mono on Blue, Dewgong is really up there on my list now.

The above statement got me thinking: where is Dewgong on my list? What list am I even talking about? So now, ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to Myrrh's 1st Edition Pokemon Tier list (RBY only)

Spoiler:
Top Tier: Starmie, Nidoking, Lapras, Golbat, Dewgong, Parasect, Raticate(in that order)
Second Tier: Primeape, Charizard, Wigglytuff, Machoke, Alakazam (no order)
Third Tier: Everyone not in tier 1, 2, or 4
Fourth (last) Tier: Hypno, Victreebel, Electrode, Venusaur (no order)

Top Tier: Absolute Favorite Pokemon. If it is up for grabs when someone names their team, I will fight you for the right to the name. If I am doing a challenge with them and 5 others, they will always be quite over-leveled.

Second Tier: Will probably use. Wouldn't mind the rights to one of them. Great teammates to me.

Third Tier: Don't really stand out. I don't hate them, but I don't like them.

Fourth Tier: Good god. My least Favorite Pokemon. If I am one of these Pokemon, I will disobey you, no matter how many badges you have.

You guys should make lists too.
Old February 21st, 2011 (10:14 PM).
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Argh, it seems like there is another time that I will have to play a fourth generation game over the horizon...for both of my current Ultimate challenges. :/ I want to avoid the 4th gen as much as possible.

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
Old February 22nd, 2011 (07:10 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Lol me too. That's why for my monotypes, I've done all of Gen I and about 1/3 of Gen II. I'm trying to hold off on Gen IV for as long as possible.
Old February 22nd, 2011 (07:42 AM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Lol, Myrhh, I did Electric on Blue and used Electrode instead of Magneton. What was I thinking?

I actually don't mind Gen IV, but only Platinum, tyvm. HG/SS are just way too long, and D/P are slow and aren't streamlimed like Platinum is.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old February 22nd, 2011 (09:01 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by jdthebud:
Lol, Myrhh, I did Electric on Blue and used Electrode instead of Magneton. What was I thinking?

I actually don't mind Gen IV, but only Platinum, tyvm. HG/SS are just way too long, and D/P are slow and aren't streamlimed like Platinum is.
Ok, so HG/SS are actually slow. I couldn't tell if they were slow or if, due to how long it was taking me to beat anything in that game, I just only played like one gym per week and that was making it seem slow.
Old February 22nd, 2011 (05:35 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
Ok, so HG/SS are actually slow. I couldn't tell if they were slow or if, due to how long it was taking me to beat anything in that game, I just only played like one gym per week and that was making it seem slow.
Well, HG/SS is not that slow, especially since you have autorun, but since GSC are WAY faster, it seems too slow in comparison. I think that's what I was getting at.

By the way, Myrhh, I didn't even notice the Sabrina screenshot goodness lol. I laughed when I saw you post it though.

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old February 22nd, 2011 (05:51 PM).
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy

Just about how fast is Platinum compared to D/P? I might decide to play Platinum instead of Pearl for my 4th gen challenges...

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
Old February 22nd, 2011 (08:06 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by InfernoRogue:

Just about how fast is Platinum compared to D/P? I might decide to play Platinum instead of Pearl for my 4th gen challenges...
Well, surfing is REALLY slow in D/P, and Platinum is better anyway because of a couple things - you can get in the secret Wayward cave with out Strength, and the Hearthome gym can be fought once you get there, rather then until you get Surf. Also, Togepi is in Platinum, as is Porygon (gift).

My point is that the journey is streamlined, and there is a lot less doubling back than in D/P. That coupled with the faster surfing makes the game go faster, I think.

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old February 22nd, 2011 (11:58 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
D/P is so much slower than Platinum. It is better because the E4 levels are lower. Myrrh I found Victreebel very useful in R/B/Y with Razor Leaf, Sleep Powder and Wrap. A top tier Pokemon in G/S/C is Jumpluff. Seriously if anyone has the chance to use one, use it. Sleep Powder, Leech Seed and Synthesis can defeat most non-Grass Pokemon.
Old February 23rd, 2011 (10:42 AM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
D/P is so much slower than Platinum. It is better because the E4 levels are lower. Myrrh I found Victreebel very useful in R/B/Y with Razor Leaf, Sleep Powder and Wrap. A top tier Pokemon in G/S/C is Jumpluff. Seriously if anyone has the chance to use one, use it. Sleep Powder, Leech Seed and Synthesis can defeat most non-Grass Pokemon.
I forgot about the levels being lower, too (not that much but still), although the teams are better. For example, Cynthia has AWESOME UBER Togekiss instead of Gastrodon, for example, so I think it balances out.

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old February 23rd, 2011 (11:42 AM).
560cool.
Probably back.

Nature: Relaxed
Let's re-enter the CI&D with Seco's RBY Bro List.
Spoiler:

Tier 1 : Charizard, Primeape, Alakazam/Kadabra (really doesn't matter). Starmie, Machoke.
Tier 2 : Blastoise, Raticate, Fearow, Pidgeot, Dugtrio, Haunter, Magneton.
Tier 3 : Basically everything except for Tier 4.
Tier 4 : Chansey, Hypno, Vileplume, Golem (really a goner with no Atk./SAtk. split).

So yeah... also...
Quote:
Let's re-enter the CI&D
Glad to be back from a small vacation from PC ! A good one, indeed. Two A grades, in Maths and Romanian respectively. Tomorrow, English test, and on Friday a Chemistry test... geez.

Btw, limping to Snowpoint in my Favorite (congrats on finishing Inferno :-D), didn't even start Random, and in Vermilion with my Red Nuzlocke. Kinda on hold.

Old February 23rd, 2011 (01:06 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by 560cool.:
Let's re-enter the CI&D with Seco's RBY Bro List.
Spoiler:

Tier 1 : Charizard, Primeape, Alakazam/Kadabra (really doesn't matter). Starmie, Machoke.
Tier 2 : Blastoise, Raticate, Fearow, Pidgeot, Dugtrio, Haunter, Magneton.
Tier 3 : Basically everything except for Tier 4.
Tier 4 : Chansey, Hypno, Vileplume, Golem (really a goner with no Atk./SAtk. split).

So yeah... also...

Glad to be back from a small vacation from PC ! A good one, indeed. Two A grades, in Maths and Romanian respectively. Tomorrow, English test, and on Friday a Chemistry test... geez.

Btw, limping to Snowpoint in my Favorite (congrats on finishing Inferno :-D), didn't even start Random, and in Vermilion with my Red Nuzlocke. Kinda on hold.
<3 Starmie

And I know what you mean about tests and stuff. I just got back from an Anthropology test, and since spring break is in 2 weeks, all the teachers want to test us right before the break, so I have 2 tests on Wednesday (Physics and History), one on Thursday (Bowling ) 2 Labs due on Monday (Physics and Anthropology) and a paper due Monday (Anthropology). And a fencing tournament on Saturday. Good bye social life.
Old February 23rd, 2011 (01:26 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Hmm, I guess I'll take a crack at it...

For RBY:
Spoiler:
Tier 1 : Machamp, Nidoking, Kadabra, Gengar, Gyarados, Dodrio, Charizard (Yellow cause of Fly), Poliwrath
Tier 2 : Blastoise, Raticate, Clefairy, Nidoqueen, Primeape, Charizard (RB), Raichu, Tentacruel
Tier 3 : Those not in Tier 4 - a lot of there are I don't/haven't used.
Tier 4 : Electrode, Cloyster, Chansey (never used her, never will).

I guess I put I lot of the ones I have used in the first two tiers...the notable exception being Golem, who I used a lot but is in Tier 3 bacause he sucks, but not like freaking Electrode...oh my god. LNot a lot of Tier 4 Pokemon...I guess I don't use crappy Pokemon...? lol.

Sadly, Myrhh, I have never ever used Starmie in any game, ever. Mostly because I almost always had a water type by the time he was available (starter, Quagsire, Gyarados, or Gastrodon lol) and I suck for not knowing how good he was till I started doing challenges, I haven't ever used him for that yet. Same goes for Lapras, although I am using him now in my Dexter's challenge...on SoulSilver lol.

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old February 23rd, 2011 (02:17 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

My love for Starmie originated back in the day before I found PC. I knew what the best attacks were, and I used the Missingno glitch to get infinite of the best TMs. Then I tried to catch all the Pokemon. When I would catch them, I would hook them up with a good moveset in case I ever wanted to use them. When I did Starmie, I found it could learn Boltbeam/Psychic/Surf. I fell in love with it and Lapras, who can also learn the same moves. I would then get 5 Pokemon and Starmie and the Exp. All and do the E4 over and over with Starmie til they evolved. It was fun times. I was so excited when I saw in DPPt it could also learn a Rock Special Move and Steel Special Move.
Old February 24th, 2011 (02:44 AM).
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Starmie is a great Pokemon and one of my favourites. I would always recommend it. I was thinking of doing a quick monotype on R/B but I don't know what type or Pokemon (not Flying). It shouldn't take to long with the heavenly speed button. I would probably get it done by tomorrow which BTW is my Bday. :D
Old February 24th, 2011 (09:03 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
Starmie is a great Pokemon and one of my favourites. I would always recommend it. I was thinking of doing a quick monotype on R/B but I don't know what type or Pokemon (not Flying). It shouldn't take to long with the heavenly speed button. I would probably get it done by tomorrow which BTW is my Bday. :D
Happy early Bday then!

Imo, Grass, Electric, and Bug are retarded tough. Also if you don't want to hack anyone in I'd stay away from Ghost, Dragon, or Ice.
Old February 24th, 2011 (01:24 PM).
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Well I'm looking for a challenge so I'll go with Bug.
Old February 24th, 2011 (02:07 PM).
Exile
confectionery behemoth
Community Supporter

Ho ho ho, I can say I've been losing motivation to post here.
I'm putting off all of my Nuzlockes in anticipation for White, I'm afraid. I just don't want my mindset to be elsewhere,
when it should be in Unova.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old February 24th, 2011 (02:48 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Any advice on who I should use for ground or fighting monotypes in platinum? Bold ones are the ones I want to use, but not sure of any others.

Potential Ground types: Torterra, Gastrodon, Gliscor, Garchomp, Hippowden, Ryhperior, Steelix

Potential Fighting types: Infernape, Medicham, Machamp, Toxicroak, Gallade, Heracross (prolly have to be hacked in (at the appropriate moment) as the Honey Tree rate is really low)

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old February 24th, 2011 (03:26 PM).
Exile
confectionery behemoth
Community Supporter

Any advice on who I should use for ground or fighting monotypes in platinum? Bold ones are the ones I want to use, but not sure of any others.

Potential Ground types: Torterra, Gastrodon, Gliscor, Garchomp, Hippowden, Ryhperior, Steelix

Potential Fighting types: Infernape, Medicham, Machamp, Toxicroak, Gallade, Heracross (prolly have to be hacked in (at the appropriate moment) as the Honey Tree rate is really low)
If you have access to Rhyperior, use it. It's power is nothing to laugh at, and I'd reccomend Hippowdon as well, it's a great tank.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old February 24th, 2011 (04:07 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Karpman:
If you have access to Rhyperior, use it. It's power is nothing to laugh at, and I'd recommend Hippowdon as well, it's a great tank.
Ah, sorry, I forgot that Rhyhorn is not available till postgame.

I was thinking about Hippowden mostly for its Sand Stream ability, but it can be a pain to train, especially with 4 others vying for experience (I really want to use Gliscor as well). I really hate grinding a lot at the end, so I normally keep the party number to four at the most. Tentatively my team is Torterra, Gastrodon, Garchomp and Gliscor, and Hippowden would be a later addition if I chose to use him.

As for fighting, I am going with Infernape, Gallade, and Medicham for sure, but the forth member (if any) is up for grabs.

Thoughts?

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old February 25th, 2011 (06:44 AM).
Luigi-San
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Luigi-San Send a message via Skype™ to Luigi-San
Actually, you can get Rhyhorn on Route 214 in Platinum.

Old February 25th, 2011 (07:17 AM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Luigi-San:
Actually, you can get Rhyhorn on Route 214 in Platinum.
Oh, right. Well, I try to stay away from rock/ground combos, though, they aren't worth the trouble, especially when there are much better combinations out there. Rhyperior is also slow, which compounds the problem. If I was doing a Rock mono I might seriously consider him, though.

Any advice about Fighting? Ground is covered, thanks guys.

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Old February 25th, 2011 (07:33 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Ah, sorry, I forgot that Rhyhorn is not available till postgame.

I was thinking about Hippowden mostly for its Sand Stream ability, but it can be a pain to train, especially with 4 others vying for experience (I really want to use Gliscor as well). I really hate grinding a lot at the end, so I normally keep the party number to four at the most. Tentatively my team is Torterra, Gastrodon, Garchomp and Gliscor, and Hippowden would be a later addition if I chose to use him.

As for fighting, I am going with Infernape, Gallade, and Medicham for sure, but the forth member (if any) is up for grabs.

Thoughts?
I used a Rhyperior for a Challenge, but I was able to trade in an egg, and mine knew EQ, and TFI fangs. It was pretty nice.

If you're like me, and fancy hard hitting moves and OHKOing your opponents, possible movesets would be something like:
Torterra: Razor Leaf/Wood Hammer, EQ, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Crunch
Gastrodon: Muddy Water/Surf, EQ/Mud Bomb, Ice Beam, Body Slam/whatever
Garchomp: Fire Fang, Dragon Rush/Claw, Iron Tail/Dig/Shadow Claw
Gliscor: Thunder Fang, X Scissor, Aerial Ace, Brick Break

That's 14 out of 17 of the types (15 if you take Shadow Claw over Dig) and the only excluded types are Poison and Psychic. I wouldn't worry about a Hippowdon when you have this kind of coverage...

As for Fighting, I'd have something like:
Infernape: Flamethrower, Close Combat, Earthquake, Rock Slide
Gallade: Psycho Cut, Leaf Blade, Night Slash, Close Combat
Medicham: Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Shadow Ball, Psychic

Maybe have a Lucario in there? If not, maybe teach someone Iron Tail?

Hope this helps.
Old February 25th, 2011 (07:23 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
I used a Rhyperior for a Challenge, but I was able to trade in an egg, and mine knew EQ, and TFI fangs. It was pretty nice.

If you're like me, and fancy hard hitting moves and OHKOing your opponents, possible movesets would be something like:
Torterra: Razor Leaf/Wood Hammer, EQ, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Crunch
Gastrodon: Muddy Water/Surf, EQ/Mud Bomb, Ice Beam, Body Slam/whatever
Garchomp: Fire Fang, Dragon Rush/Claw, Iron Tail/Dig/Shadow Claw
Gliscor: Thunder Fang, X Scissor, Aerial Ace, Brick Break

That's 14 out of 17 of the types (15 if you take Shadow Claw over Dig) and the only excluded types are Poison and Psychic. I wouldn't worry about a Hippowdon when you have this kind of coverage...

As for Fighting, I'd have something like:
Infernape: Flamethrower, Close Combat, Earthquake, Rock Slide
Gallade: Psycho Cut, Leaf Blade, Night Slash, Close Combat
Medicham: Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Shadow Ball, Psychic

Maybe have a Lucario in there? If not, maybe teach someone Iron Tail?

Hope this helps.
Yeah, I taught EQ to Gabite, and will go with Mud Bomb on Gastrodon and Dig on Gliscor. Ghost is not something I usually teach unless it's a STAB move. Swords Dance is also something to consider for Garchomp and Gliscor - Torterra is not fast enough for it.

As for fighting, I think I'm gonna go with those three for now. The only other real option is Lucario, as I am scared off Toxicroak with his 4x weakness to Psychic, but he comes so late in the game it's almost not worth training him, and can't benefit from Iron Island double battles either. I may use Toxicroak as he has access to Nasty Plot and Vacuum Wave, but even a Ground weakness is bad in Sinnoh. By the way, I am a BIG fan of Swords Dance, so I will use that on Gallade and Medicham probably. Gallade doesn't really need Close Combat anyway on a fighting team, and Shadow Ball is wasted on Medicham that late in the game, especially with his crappy SpA. Psychic or Zen Headbutt will be in the last slot.

Oh, and I thought of another reason to use Platinum - WAY MORE HEART SCALES!

Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links