Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Reload this Page Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old March 27th, 2011 (12:16 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
Okay, I think I need a new challenge that I can do on my computer so I was thinking of a Normal Monotype on Silver.
My Planned Team:
Furret
Aipom
Smeargle
Pidgeot
Miltank
Dunsparce
So what do you guys think?
I mean, if you're into using 6 Pokemon, then that's all right. Buuuuuuuut, you really just need Pidgeot, Tauros, and Wigglytuff (Ice/Fire/Thunderpunch and Psychic)
Old March 27th, 2011 (12:23 PM).
Monotype Master
Gold Tier

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
I mean, if you're into using 6 Pokemon, then that's all right. Buuuuuuuut, you really just need Pidgeot, Tauros, and Wigglytuff (Ice/Fire/Thunderpunch and Psychic)
Milktank > Tauros b/c of Rollout.
and Clefable > Wigglytuff. Clefable has better stats, and learns Ice/Thunder Punch, although evolving Cleffa (from Odd Egg) can be a pain. Ofc, you need Crystal for Clefairy.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old March 27th, 2011 (01:20 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by jdthebud:
and Clefable > Wigglytuff. Clefable has better stats, and learns Ice/Thunder Punch, although evolving Cleffa (from Odd Egg) can be a pain. Ofc, you need Crystal for Clefairy.
I'm mostly just choosing Pokemon I like. That way the challenge will be funner. I'd better name the Aipom Klippy for Syd shouldn't I? I might use Wigglytuff instead of Dunsparce because they are hard to find.
Old March 27th, 2011 (01:28 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Meh, I'd take 20 more Atk and a little speed over extra HP/Def and Rollout.
Old March 27th, 2011 (01:35 PM).
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
Quote:
I'm mostly just choosing Pokemon I like. That way the challenge will be funner. I'd better name the Aipom Klippy for Syd shouldn't I? I might use Wigglytuff instead of Dunsparce because they are hard to find.
lmao, I wouldn't do that. XD; I only do that cause he's my best friend and that's his favorite Pokemon. Besides, it'd be weird to run around using a Pokemon named after someone you don't know. :x

happily received
Old March 27th, 2011 (01:42 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

So does it automatically make you double post whenever you try to post? Because that's no good.
Old March 27th, 2011 (01:54 PM).
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
Essentially, yes. That's why you don't see me post around GPGD a lot now, because my internet is slow, and it'll take me like...7 minutes before I can even delete it. Locking threads is just awful. :( Gotta wait on my post to go through...gotta wait on the lock to go through, then delete the double post, then the "reason for deletion" thing has to load and fffffffff. Hate it.

Edit: Whoa it didn't do it for once!

happily received
Old March 27th, 2011 (02:11 PM).
Lurker

I thought of an obscure idea for a challenge, called the Evolution Line Challenge, where you use Pokemon from only one family (e.g. Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur), but I feel like it would be too tempting to just solo once you get the final form. Plus, for Eevee we'd have 8 Pokemon to choose from, and it almost feels like a Duo/Trispecies just using Pokemon from one family, so.....yeah.

Any thoughts? :D

Syddy Claus' Challenge
Old March 27th, 2011 (03:42 PM). Edited March 27th, 2011 by Gulpin.
poisonous
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Sydian:
Essentially, yes. That's why you don't see me post around GPGD a lot now, because my internet is slow, and it'll take me like...7 minutes before I can even delete it. Locking threads is just awful. :( Gotta wait on my post to go through...gotta wait on the lock to go through, then delete the double post, then the "reason for deletion" thing has to load and fffffffff. Hate it.

Edit: Whoa it didn't do it for once!
Could you suggest the higher staff to move you into a new group with the same settings as the mod group, just without the ability to post more than once within 60 seconds? Because if it takes so long just before the next page loads then it shouldn't be much of a difference.
Old March 27th, 2011 (09:10 PM).
For my next trick...
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
this place really need more love from me, doesn't it. <3

I'm actually thinking of my own challenge, which I want to do on my own. A subway challenge in Black and White. Pretty much I'd have people choose a team for me, which I will then obtain and EV train and stuff, and see how far I can go with that team. I would have no restrictions on what I can and can't train, except mostly from Unova and stuff, and people would choose what thing I'd have to go through as well. :)

Either that, or try and play through a game before I finish off a subway sandwich. Either one works for me. :D
Old March 27th, 2011 (09:59 PM).
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hardy
Quote originally posted by Alternative:
this place really need more love from me, doesn't it. <3

I'm actually thinking of my own challenge, which I want to do on my own. A subway challenge in Black and White. Pretty much I'd have people choose a team for me, which I will then obtain and EV train and stuff, and see how far I can go with that team. I would have no restrictions on what I can and can't train, except mostly from Unova and stuff, and people would choose what thing I'd have to go through as well. :)

Either that, or try and play through a game before I finish off a subway sandwich. Either one works for me. :D
Both at the same time? :D
Just remembered spring break is this month. Oh dear challenges, I will get back to you soon~

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
Old March 27th, 2011 (10:41 PM).
The Dead Philospher

a friend and I were recently discussing what would be a good way to replay through Blue, and my friend suggjested, "Why not try to make a runthrough, where thorough whatever means nessiary, try to have you Pokedex the least filled as possible." and I replied "even the seen rate" and he went, "Yeah, it wouldn't be much of challenge if it was just capture rate, you'd just be soloing with your starter"
/story

So I was wondering if that would be a good idea for a challenge the "Anti-Pokedex" Challenge or something simular

http://www.ign.com/face-off/pokemon

HE DESERVES THE <3

Old March 27th, 2011 (10:44 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by Maelstromk:
a friend and I were recently discussing what would be a good way to replay through Blue, and my friend suggjested, "Why not try to make a runthrough, where thorough whatever means nessiary, try to have you Pokedex the least filled as possible." and I replied "even the seen rate" and he went, "Yeah, it wouldn't be much of challenge if it was just capture rate, you'd just be soloing with your starter"
/story

So I was wondering if that would be a good idea for a challenge the "Anti-Pokedex" Challenge or something simular
You could perhaps make it so that if you have seen a certain amount of Pokemon you fail. That would make it hard.
Old March 27th, 2011 (10:49 PM).
The Dead Philospher

Well I was thinking on a board like this, it could become a challenge with like Lowest Score Possible thing, Cause you'd have to discourage as many encounters as possible, and STILL beat the game (I guess I forgot to mention that in the first post)

HE DESERVES THE <3

Old March 27th, 2011 (10:56 PM).

Send a message via Skype™ to LaureTheLoner
I guess I've always been into challenges because in the community I use to come from we created a Pokemon tourney that almost played like like a tabletop rpg, and it was after I read the Hunger Games which I was completely obsessed with.

In a nutshell 2 tributes were picked, they'd battle each other with teams based on themes (kinda like the challenges here) and if you win, you get points, if you lose you lose points. The names of players are in order of how many points you get, also the winner is allowed to give more points to their allies and take away from an enemy. Every round I roll dice, and if it rolls on a 3 the person with the lowest score is kicked out of the tournament. There were other things like an item shop and the dice also rolled out cool events. It pretty much turned into an rpg by the end of it

I was thinking of something cool like this for an actual game challenge, but everything I come up with is too complex that I don't know how to understand >:

White Version FC: 0046 4161 0929

Pokedex: 176/644
Old March 28th, 2011 (02:36 AM).
For my next trick...
Crystal Tier

I'm not sure I understand this, but on a general idea (correct me if I'm wrong), I think you're saying that maybe a challenge which you must do depending on what other users tell you to do?

I'm just thinking, but maybe a challenge, where you have to update at certain places, and you can't play on until you're given instructions on what to do next or something. Like say you're playing Black/White and you're updating at the Mistralton City, let's say your instructions are that as soon as you enter the next cave, that you're not allowed to exit that cave until you have at least seen a Cryogonal or something. It would be difficult tasks, like the example would be that, but you have to battle every single Pokemon you find, you're not allowed to exit the cave for any reason unless you black out or something like that.
Old March 28th, 2011 (02:39 AM).

Send a message via Skype™ to LaureTheLoner
Yeah like someone else playing Dungeon Master to your pokemon quest somehow lol

White Version FC: 0046 4161 0929

Pokedex: 176/644
Old March 28th, 2011 (02:19 PM).
poisonous
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Maelstromk:
/story

One problem would be people just buying repels and using them to get through routes/caves.
Old March 28th, 2011 (03:08 PM). Edited March 28th, 2011 by jdthebud.
Monotype Master
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by deku:
One problem would be people just buying repels and using them to get through routes/caves.
actually, if you fought all the trainers, the pokemon would be seen anyway, so if you avoided trainers and just fought wild pokemon, there would end up being less seen then.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old March 28th, 2011 (03:27 PM).
poisonous
Crystal Tier

actually, if you fought all the trainers, the pokemon would be seen anyway, so if you avoided trainers and just fought wild pokemon, there would end up being less seen then.
True.

Maybe there could be a challenge where you use Gen 1-4 games and can only use Pokemon that received evolutions in later generations. So your team could consist of, for example, Scyther, Electabuzz, and Magmar, and many others. Yea, neigh?
Old March 28th, 2011 (05:53 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by LaureTheLoner:
if you win, you get points, if you lose you lose points.
I like this part. Its sounding like our event that we talked about possibly planning sometime in the future.
True.

Maybe there could be a challenge where you use Gen 1-4 games and can only use Pokemon that received evolutions in later generations. So your team could consist of, for example, Scyther, Electabuzz, and Magmar, and many others. Yea, neigh?
I dunno... I mean, it could work, but it just seems like another same old challenge, where you beat the game with Pokemon that fall under (insert restriction here). It just seems like the same as an Egg Group, Habitat, Animal (where you could only use cats, etc.) challenge. Yeah its another way to beat the game but its not really that different, if you get what I mean.

Sorry if this sounds mean and stuff, just coming off a long day of classes that ended half an hour ago (9:15 PM). Constructive criticism is good though.
Old March 28th, 2011 (06:10 PM).
poisonous
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by myrrhman:
I like this part. Its sounding like our event that we talked about possibly planning sometime in the future.

I dunno... I mean, it could work, but it just seems like another same old challenge, where you beat the game with Pokemon that fall under (insert restriction here). It just seems like the same as an Egg Group, Habitat, Animal (where you could only use cats, etc.) challenge. Yeah its another way to beat the game but its not really that different, if you get what I mean.

Sorry if this sounds mean and stuff, just coming off a long day of classes that ended half an hour ago (9:15 PM). Constructive criticism is good though.
I see, but it is still a challenge nonetheless. Isn't that what challenges are about? I see what you mean, but I don't see why just because using restrictions is a challenge, just like a monotype restricts you to one type.
Old March 28th, 2011 (07:05 PM).
Challenge God
Crystal Tier

I see, but it is still a challenge nonetheless. Isn't that what challenges are about? I see what you mean, but I don't see why just because using restrictions is a challenge, just like a monotype restricts you to one type.
See, I wish I was better at talking when I'm tired. I definitely agree that it would be a challenge, in fact, I would do it if it stayed up for long enough (After I finish all the Monotypes, I'm going to do all of the other challenges at least once, I think. Shouldn't take that long...).

The curse of the monotype is that it is sort of the bar for challenges. I know that at least for me, and I certainly can't speak for all challengers here, but I always look at a challenge and think, "would I have more fun doing this challenge or doing a monotype/solo/nuzlocke." Because there's no point in doing a challenge if you don't have fun. Unfortunately, I usually would have more fun doing one of the popular ones. I really don't even know why. Its probably not that way for most of the challengers. Maybe I just am an exception in feeling that most challenges are sort of dull.

The monotype is so different because you are so weak to something I guess. It's the perfect balance between difficulty, time, and fun.

Tl;dr: I don't know why I like monotypes so much, and I'm just throwing my two cents in. Also I'd do the challenge, I'm just concerned about a lot of other people doing it.
Old March 28th, 2011 (07:18 PM).
The Dead Philospher

Quote originally posted by myrrhman;6541701

Sorry if this sounds mean and stuff, just coming off a long day of classes that ended half an hour ago (9:15 PM). [s
:
Constructive criticism is good though.[/s]
well I kinda saw the suggjestion as breaking away from it, it doesn't matter how you do it, or with what pokemon, (ex. trying to reduce encounter rate by repel or turning the game off and on agian, only doing wild battles and avoiding trainers, vice-verca)

I mean I get the fact it's a rather "open" thing, but I kinda like it that way, I just wish I could construct it with rules and things to make it from becoming too easy/hard, which is why I came to the C&ID (If this wasn't about my suggjestion, then I misread, in which case, ignore me and carry on as you like )

HE DESERVES THE <3

Old March 28th, 2011 (07:44 PM).
For my next trick...
Crystal Tier

Monotypes are really fun and all, but the worst part about them are that there are those types which are quite hard, and those types which are quite easy, due to their diversity with other typing. I mean look at say, the Flying type. There's so much diversity with Water, Bug, Fire, Ground and pretty much another type which will really help you along the way. Struggling against Wattson for flying? Get a Gligar on your team! Some other types, such as Grass which don't have many secondary types, would be much harder.

Also, I do have a few challenges which would be fun in mind, but not really worthy of a thread, except maybe one for say, independence day. Pretty much like the St. Patrick's Day one, except different things depending on the challenge. So something like this.
- For the American Flag's red, you must choose a Red Pokemon
- For blue, a blue Pokemon.
- White for White Pokemon.
- For fireworks, a Pokemon which learns Selfdestruct/Explosion via level
- For popular picnics, a Pokemon which learns Stockpile via level.

Something like that, and that sort of challenge could vary for different themes as well.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links