The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 31st, 2011 (05:23 PM).
Sire
Making Flareon Own You

Nature: Hasty
May make it.

I can't use a generator though because it mixes up region moves. Suppose I'd have to pick them myself.

Leaf Green|Crystal|Emerald|Platinum|White

Join The Move Challenge
Old August 13th, 2011 (11:03 PM).
LaureTheLoner

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to LaureTheLoner
HELLO SWABLU'S NEST

You see who is here?

Laure of course!

So it's too late for sign ups but everyone should check out The Challenge and watch it a little so you can see how it plays so I can force you to join up in the next game, which will be G/S/C

How do you survive this game you ask?

Simple you are on Team Laure and you destroy all the other trainer's lives

Like JD the Bud

White Version FC: 0046 4161 0929

Pokedex: 176/644
Old August 13th, 2011 (11:10 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

wow no one posted here for ages. It would have been hilarious (and ironic ofc) if no one had posted for a month. Laure, c'mon, we only had 16 days to go! And ditto on the MMO thing (which is what she's referring to, if you couldn't tell. I know, it's hard to figure it out...).

In other news, my HG water monotype has completely stalled. I knew it would take a while to finish, but I'm really not having much fun with it...

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old August 13th, 2011 (11:19 PM).
LaureTheLoner

JD LET'S TAKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS FORUM OVER

Everyone needs to join the path of enlightenment

but until Syd approves my Hitler fan club we just have to go with the Laure religion that states

Monotypes are fun
but if you do them over and over and over and over again
BORRRINNNNGGGG

Old August 13th, 2011 (11:32 PM).
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I did a monotype once, for ground because it's soo versatile, and you get Quagsire. :D

I've actually been thinking of playing Emerald again, maybe of another Nuzlocke? I'll probably go with that because I never finished my last one. :P
Old August 13th, 2011 (11:54 PM).
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quagsire! 8D Anywho, I've never actually done a Monotype challenge. :x I attempted, but never actually started. x_x I think I'll sign up for one and do it with Flying or Ghost types or something. C: I'm currently doing a Nuzlocke on Emerald. :3 But I haven't played it for some time.
Old August 14th, 2011 (12:19 PM).
Sire
Making Flareon Own You

Nature: Hasty
Ultimate Ground Mono is going amazing. Johto has some of the best variety. <3

I've never tried a Nuzlocke yet, to be honest. Haven't got around to it. I really need to do one, probably Yellow for free starters and good pokemon. :D

Leaf Green|Crystal|Emerald|Platinum|White

Join The Move Challenge
Old August 20th, 2011 (04:09 AM).
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

Nuzlockes are super fun to play, and you have all those hardships with those Pokemon. Just a tip though, if you choose to ever do one for the third generation, especially Emerald, it's highly advised that you skip Brawly, or at least train to a super high level before fighting him. :)
Old August 21st, 2011 (07:49 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
I completely agree. I don't think I've ever done Brawly on time in any Pokemon game, other than when I'm doing normal playthroughs and have both Ralts and Wingull at fairly high levels. OR if I have a Sableye. Sableye can stop Brawly.
Old August 21st, 2011 (09:04 AM).
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

I'm pretty sure if you've got a Beautifly you can do well against Brawly. Considering your main moves are going to be Gust and Confusion, both strong against him, that Makuhita can't do much unless he's got 3+ Bulk Ups under his belt because of the 4x resistance against the fighting moves, you can do well with one.

But yet again, you have to be lucky enough to find a Wurmple first in the routes you can find them in and make it evolve into a Beautifly. I got two my first time and both times got Dustox from them. :(
Old August 21st, 2011 (09:26 AM).
mondays suck
:)

There's nothing wrong with getting Dustox, with its Bug/Poison typing it, too, has a 4x F. resistance and, unlike Beautifly who only gets the phys. Gust and a couple Grass moves, it does actually learn Confusion. Plus its defense-orientated stats are preferable in a Nuzlocke imo.
Old August 21st, 2011 (03:13 PM).
ParanoidMocha
Paranoid since '98

Nature: Jolly
I've only finished one Monotype. A Ghost Mono/Haunter SoloRun on Blue.
I'm supposed to do a Nuzlocke but me bored T.T
Old August 22nd, 2011 (12:51 AM). Edited August 22nd, 2011 by peter1507.
peter1507
Beginning Trainer

Few challenge ideas could be:

1. Use only Pokemon which has the Pick Up ability (or try to play R/S/E with only zangooses)
2. It has been said before but do a Weak Pokemon Run where you may only use Pokemon which has base stats under 300. (can be 400 for easy, 350 for normal and 300 for hard)
3. Metronome challenge where you can have Pokemon that can learn metronome and use only that move.
4. Ability Challenge, where you hack your pokemon so that it has abilities which HINDERS your Pokemon (like Slow Start, Klutz, maybe even Run Away, ect.)
5. Normal Moves Challenge: Where your Pokemon can only have Normal moves on them and nothing else at all times. That makes it hard if you fight Ghost Pokemons.
6. Ditto Only Run
7. Baby Pokemon Only Run
Old August 22nd, 2011 (09:52 AM).
ParanoidMocha
Paranoid since '98

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter1507 View Post
Few challenge ideas could be:

1. Use only Pokemon which has the Pick Up ability (or try to play R/S/E with only zangooses)
Heh ... Too many few options

Quote:
2. It has been said before but do a Weak Pokemon Run where you may only use Pokemon which has base stats under 300. (can be 400 for easy, 350 for normal and 300 for hard)
I see a future on this one

Quote:
3. Metronome challenge where you can have Pokemon that can learn metronome and use only that move.
Again,too few an option

Quote:
4. Ability Challenge, where you hack your pokemon so that it has abilities which HINDERS your Pokemon (like Slow Start, Klutz, maybe even Run Away, ect.)
Well,might work but it's hard to fight ability changing codes(except for Wonder Guard),and not practical,people with consoles can't play and can't be used on Pre-Gen II games.

Quote:
5. Normal Moves Challenge: Where your Pokemon can only have Normal moves on them and nothing else at all times. That makes it hard if you fight Ghost Pokemons.
Not hard,impossible.Unless you have Metronome you don't stand a chance to fight Ghosts.

Quote:
6. Ditto Only Run
AKA Solo Run,we have a thread for that
Quote:
7. Baby Pokemon Only Run
Heh,most of their movesets is crappy,too hard not much options.

If you think Syd will approve any of these though ...
Good Luck
Old August 22nd, 2011 (10:12 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

My friend is testing out a challenge I thought of. It has to be done on emulator though... You get a Random Number Generator, and generate a random Pokemon, random types, and random moves. Then you hack that in the beginning of the game and solo with it. It can get really tough if you get very few moves that do damage/moves that have few pp/moves that are weak like bubble.
Old August 22nd, 2011 (12:00 PM).
ParanoidMocha
Paranoid since '98

Sounds fun!
Think I might do it sometime
Old August 26th, 2011 (09:34 AM).
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
I'm thinking of adding an "Extreme Mode" to my Painfully Slow Challenge. For Extreme Mode, the maximum base speed would be cut from 40 to 25, drastically lowering your options. If I do this, would anyone be interested in taking part?
Old August 26th, 2011 (03:05 PM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys121 View Post
I'm thinking of adding an "Extreme Mode" to my Painfully Slow Challenge. For Extreme Mode, the maximum base speed would be cut from 40 to 25, drastically lowering your options. If I do this, would anyone be interested in taking part?
Now? Probably not, I'm adjusting to this school year.
Sometime? Yes, I'd do it just to do it.
Old August 28th, 2011 (06:06 PM).
Shea Man
Karakuri Dôji Ultimo Fanboy

Nature: Docile
I has idea for teh Challenge, but I not is to able do.

Challenge: Beat a game with only Snorlax; any amount of Snorlax is fine

Restrictions: SNORLAX ONLY, and (I think) Snorlax can learn all HMs. If there is any HM Snorlax cannot use, you may have ONE HM SLAVE. I think Snorlax can't use Flash, Dive, and Waterfall, so get a Lanturne or Chinchou.

To derr poster:
Credit me, and remember to put in the OP, "Always Remember to Pack a Snorlax". I would love to have a userbar for this, as it would be funny!

Purpose: 4 teh lulz. Alternatively, Snorlax are lazy, seemingly worthless gluttons. However, when they go into battle, they're like Slaking without Truant! They're extremely useful, and besides, who hasn't wanted to ride the Sea on Snorlax's stomach? Always remember to pack a Snorlax.

I CAN HAS GRACIDEA?

Derr PC Family~

Nideous
Old August 31st, 2011 (07:10 AM).
LaureTheLoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Man View Post
I has idea for teh Challenge, but I not is to able do.

Challenge: Beat a game with only Snorlax; any amount of Snorlax is fine

Restrictions: SNORLAX ONLY, and (I think) Snorlax can learn all HMs. If there is any HM Snorlax cannot use, you may have ONE HM SLAVE. I think Snorlax can't use Flash, Dive, and Waterfall, so get a Lanturne or Chinchou.

To derr poster:
Credit me, and remember to put in the OP, "Always Remember to Pack a Snorlax". I would love to have a userbar for this, as it would be funny!

Purpose: 4 teh lulz. Alternatively, Snorlax are lazy, seemingly worthless gluttons. However, when they go into battle, they're like Slaking without Truant! They're extremely useful, and besides, who hasn't wanted to ride the Sea on Snorlax's stomach? Always remember to pack a Snorlax.
That'd basically be a solo challenge with exception of no species clause

It's probably been done loads of time cause there are crazy people on here who try and solo with every single Pokemon.

What could be interesting is if it was a Snorlax themed team like maybe you are required to have a Snorlax, all other Pokemon on your team must be something similar to the weight of a Snorlax, it can't over a certain amount of pounds or under. Maybe allow Jigglypuff that has sing or Hypnosis

Old August 31st, 2011 (03:31 PM).
Shea Man
Karakuri Dôji Ultimo Fanboy

Nature: Docile
Snorlax themed sounds good. Too bad my Pokedex (Pkmn Dmnd) broke. I could make a list.

I CAN HAS GRACIDEA?

Derr PC Family~

Nideous
Old August 31st, 2011 (04:23 PM).
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I've got some idea's.

First Encounter
Basicly, your only allowed to capture one pokemon per route for your team. You can interchange you team, but only with a first catch from another route. Grass/Surfing/Fishing are seperate encounters. If you encounter the same pokemon on two diffrent routes, you'll be having two of the same. HM slaves allowed, but only if you don't have a pokemon that can learn that HM.

Caged in Darkness
Basicly, you can only use pokemon that you catch in caves. HM slaves allowed

Don't forget
Your not allowed to forget moves. Basicly, your first 4 will be what you have to use. HM slaves are allowed of course.

Sentimental
You can't forget the first same type move that your pokemon learns. Say you have a fire pokemon. It learns Ember. It can't forget it. For normal pokemon, it will be the first move in their list. If your pokemon already knows a same type move, then it can't forget that one. If it knows more then one then you must keep whichever one it learns at a lower level (This means checking Serbrii) For dual typed pokemon, same type will be considered their first listed type.

Clipped Wings
Basicly, you can't use flying type pokemon or flying type moves, including HM Fly.

Come play Runescape
Old August 31st, 2011 (06:14 PM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
I've got some idea's.

First Encounter
Basicly, your only allowed to capture one pokemon per route for your team. You can interchange you team, but only with a first catch from another route. Grass/Surfing/Fishing are seperate encounters. If you encounter the same pokemon on two diffrent routes, you'll be having two of the same. HM slaves allowed, but only if you don't have a pokemon that can learn that HM.
See the Nuzlocke Challenge.

Quote:
Caged in Darkness
Basicly, you can only use pokemon that you catch in caves. HM slaves allowed.
this is an Area Challenge, it's been done before, feel free to revive it with all areas considered (grass, water, etc.)

Quote:
Don't forget
Your not allowed to forget moves. Basicly, your first 4 will be what you have to use. HM slaves are allowed of course.

Sentimental
You can't forget the first same type move that your pokemon learns. Say you have a fire pokemon. It learns Ember. It can't forget it. For normal pokemon, it will be the first move in their list. If your pokemon already knows a same type move, then it can't forget that one. If it knows more then one then you must keep whichever one it learns at a lower level (This means checking Serbrii) For dual typed pokemon, same type will be considered their first listed type.
These are both okay ideas for a challenge. I think they have been done before, try searching the threads that go back more than a month.

Quote:
Clipped Wings
Basicly, you can't use flying type pokemon or flying type moves, including HM Fly.
This isn't restricting enough by itself for a real challenge.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old August 31st, 2011 (06:41 PM).
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
First catch is completely unrelated to Nuzlocke because
A) if it faints, its still alive
and
B) You can catch more then one pokemon on a certian route. (Say a route has water on it. You catch a pokemon in the grass. You surf on the water and catch one. You fish and catch one) unlike nuzlocks where the entire route is counted as a area which im assuming means your only allowed to catch one pokemon with the method of your choice. (Grass, or surfing or fishing)

Come play Runescape
Old September 1st, 2011 (06:46 AM).
LaureTheLoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Man View Post
Snorlax themed sounds good. Too bad my Pokedex (Pkmn Dmnd) broke. I could make a list.
You could always use bulbapedia it has Pokemon listed by weight

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links