The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 4th, 2010 (02:17 AM). Edited June 9th, 2010 by Nikolai Fox.
Nikolai Fox

Pokémon: Ultimate Quest!

Hi, nice to meet you all!
Welcome to my hack, Pokémon: Ultimate Quest.

My hack, as the title suggests, is to not only create the ultimate Pokémon quests, but to have a Pokémon game filled with side quests and features that were lacking in the original games.

This hack will be set seven years after Fire Red/Leaf Green and four years afrer Heart Gold/ Soul Silver.

It will be set in Johto and Kanto (I had other regions planned, but until Advance Map is updated only those two are options at the moment).

I will go into much more detail of these features in the following sections.

Story
Spoiler:
Pokémon: Ultimate Quest's main story begins with your mother being kidnapped and leaving you a Pokémon. Your first journey is to find your mother and bring her to safety. She was kidnapped because she is a Pokémon Researcher who invented a device which makes Pokémon instantly like their owners.

She was kidnapped by a returning Team Rocket, who is now lead by Giovanni's son, Silver, and Silver's son.

After an epic story based on bringing back your mother there will be more big storylines afterwards, with dozens of side quests offering reward items, Pokémon, stores, money, etc.

Features
Spoiler:
Trainer Re-battle
Battle any trainer as many times as you want by going to a town then returning.

Dynamic Wild Pokémon Scaling
Wild Pokémon (apart from once only events) will always be three levels lower than your weakest Pokémon, so level is no longer dependant on where you are. This gives you many more options for training, and allows you to train almost any Pokémon from the level you desire, and not forced to raise it from when the game thinks you should.

Dynamic Leader Trainers
Gym Leaders will now always be five levels higher than your strongest Pokémon, while the Elite Four will always be seven levels stronger (unless you have a Pokémon that is level ninety three or more, in which case they are level a hundred).

There will be some new gyms called Training Gyms, which will offer no badges, but will reward you with items and TMs. Their Pokémon will always be three levels higher than your strongest.

Unique Boss Pokémon
There will be a rather large number of boss Pokémon that you cannot obtain, but are bosses. They are very strong for their level, and will need a full team of Pokémon to be able to beat. Beating them offers great rewards the first time you beat them. Not all boss battles will be re-fightable.

Poképager
Receive information from people who have your Poképager number. Things like plot advancements or information of roaming or swarming Pokémon.

Side Quests
There will be many side quests which you will start by talking to someone who gives you one (with the option to decline). These can range from doing a little mini-game to taking on a gang of Rockets, all for a reward of course.

New Towns
All of Kanto and Johto will be available, and are both connected. As such, you will find some Johto Pokémon in Kanto and some Kanto Pokémon in Johto. This is because seven years have passed since Fire Red and Leaf Green, and the only thing separating the two was a mountain, which has now been built through.

There will also be new towns in both regions that weren't in the games, but were in the anime.

Old towns and areas will be updated to be more populated and to look better in general.

All Pokémon catchable
All Pokémon will be catchable. Most in the wild, some via quests. All legendaries and starters will have their own unique quest. Some none-starters/legendaries will also have their own quest.

Unique Bookshelves, photos, TV shows
All of the above will be unique for each one. So every bookshelf for example with have a unique book, which are well researched (and made up, for events since the original games) and according to my feedback, very interesting.

Speaking Hero
The main character (who will be a new character, and neither Red nor Leaf, as they are NPCs now. This hero does not need special shoes to run, so can run from the start.

[B]Pokémon And Move Rebalance[B]
Pokémon now have a tier system, where in the end (last evolution) all Pokémon apart from ubers and legendaries have much more similar stats, so all Pokémon are viable choices. Some moves have been moved to a more appropriate type (Mega Punch = Fighting for example), some have had their damage altered (useless ones made useful) and many have had their PP reduced (some had like 35 which was way too much, eg Screech).

Some Pokémon also have altered types and abilities. For example Charizard is now a Fire Dragon with levitate as it's abilitie. Gyarados is now Water Dragon. Aerodactyl is now a Rock Dragon. Ratatta is now Normal/Dark. There may be more in the future, but only if they are appropriate.

And
many more that will be announced at a later date.

Screenshots
I know you all love screenshots, so here are some taken place during the start of the game. Mostly to show some of the new features mentioned above.

Spoiler:

First up, book scripts.

Next, Mom goes missing.

You got the Pokédex (national) and Poképager!

Time for the Trainer Re-battle script!

This is after beating him.

This is after visiting a town after beating him.

You decline his challenge.

A Johto Pokémon on Route 1

There is now a Chansey in each Pokémon Center. Talking to them will heal your Pokémon without any dialogue (Besides "Chansey!") and you won't be asked, they will just be taken and healed.

Now for a side quest example.
You accept the quest (if you decline, you can still start the quest by talking to them again).

Accepting his quests will reveal these Rockets on Route 2 (where his quest sends you)

After beating them all, the last one will drop a Charmander. (There is a reason they have it, and there's a reason you get to keep it)

Pokémon Level scaling examples.
First is the Wild Pokémon
(these are separate battles)
Tauros at level 4, because Pikachu is level 7

Tauros at level 5, because Pikachu is level 8

First training gym! (There will be trainers in the gym as well, and the leader will have a new overworld and sprite)
(These are the same fight)

His Beedrill at level 10, because Pikachu is level 7.

His Beedrill at level 11, because Pikachu is level 8

New locations!
Sable City
Market

Fishing Lake

Country Park

Team Rocket Hideout

Inside the hideout

Shop 1

Shop 2: One merchant sells evil-based items and escape ropes. The other sells all dark TMs (some new dark TMs) and the TM False Swipe.

Stone City
(The gold buildings are Training Gyms, which have a Pokémon Center downstairs and a Training Gym upstairs)

New Vermilion

Next up, Map Screenshots of new and updated maps.
Pallet Town

Route1, 1

Route1, 2

Inside the cave, Route1

Route 16 (which is now extended, and is between the normal Route 16 and Route 2

Sable City (Which is north of route 16. See the gap in the trees in Route 16

New Viridian, now more buildings and green

Stone Town (Which is north of Route 11, and between Vermilion and Lavender)

Cerulean (just more populated, new building which will be revealed later)

Vermilion (now much more of a port city than it was)

Enjoy

Credits!
Spoiler:
Hack_Mew - You amazing hacker, for several of your tools (the a-series) Not to mention XSE
Lu-Ho - Of course, for the fantastic Advance Map
JPAN - For your amazing hacked engine, which has made some of my features possible
silver134 - For your great tool, YAPE
The people who have helped me occasionally on the script help thread

If I left anyone out, let me know! The only work that isn't mine are the tools that I used.

I am recruiting for this, and I really need:

A good Music Editor/Inserter
Overworld Spriters/Inserter
Tileset Inserters (I can map, but can't insert new tilesets)
Beta Testers
Possibly more.

Thank you all for taking the time to look at my thread, I hope you like what you see

Next Beta
Now. Next one? When I decide it's nearly ready.

Beta Notes
Read these notes before testing this beta.

- Talk to everyone, and read every signpost.
- There are some missing scripts which I am aware of (but shouldn't crash the game). Tell me about them anyway, to see how good of a beta tester you are.
- Save often. As this is a beta this doesn't need an explanation.
- The intro is exactly the same (Intro text + Oak's speech). This part is far from the top of my priority list.
- Upstairs of the Pokémon Center in Sable city is a training gym. It will be quite difficult, as gyms are now optional parts of the game for those seeking a challenge.
- Some places have no people in them (Cave and house on Route 1). These have a purpose but not until later in the game (as such, are not part of the beta)
- Leave all feedback in this thread. Be honest about what you think is good and bad about it.
- There are some areas blocked by an invisible wall. This is because they are not part of the beta.
- You can get to Vermilion, but you can't do anything there. This is just to show the new map. Same with Stone Town.

http://rapidshare.com/files/39697001...Quest.aps.html
It is an aps file, and requires HackMew's A-Patch tool. Get that here: http://174.133.255.180/showthread.php?t=85025

I have also attached an ips file, for those who prefer to use an ips patcher.

That is all for now.

Post away.
Attached Files
File Type: ips Ultimate Quest.ips‎ (160.1 KB, 802 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old June 4th, 2010 (03:16 AM).
Co500
You think you're strong? You're not.
Community Supporter

this looks really great although your routes could do with improving maybe less mountains

I hope you’ll remember, there is something good in goodbye.

Old June 4th, 2010 (03:20 AM).
Nikolai Fox

Thanks! Unfortunately most of what I've done is gameplay related, so the pictures really don't do the hack justice.

What do you mean by less mountains? Only one of the routes I posted has mountains, and it is that tiny one on Route 1 XD
Old June 4th, 2010 (03:21 AM).
~SF3~
Beginning Trainer

Your hack is looking really good, and i agree with co 500, there could be less mountains in the maps. but you have a really good idea. What i meant by less mountains was like, there just seem to be a lot of "Rocks" and Hills and such in your maps. And you said it was based in Kanto and Johto Right?
Old June 4th, 2010 (03:28 AM).
Nikolai Fox

Let me know which maps you think are too rocky (apart from Stone Town, that is deliberately filled with rocks), and I'll see what I can do

Yeah it is based in Kanto and Johto.
Old June 4th, 2010 (04:04 AM).
TheDonMaister
This is not His World its Mine

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TheDonMaister
I like the fact that the routes are longer; some of the routes in Kanto are far too short!

Old June 4th, 2010 (04:09 AM).
Nikolai Fox

I agree. Routes were way too short in Kanto, and Johto in fact. All routes will be altered to be longer and/or completely revamped. Many of the original routes were really bland, especially with all the square patches of grass and little things like that.

Original post updated, with credits and a couple of new features.
Old June 4th, 2010 (04:38 AM).
Roxasabridged
Lucariowner

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roxasabridged
Wow, I'll be impressed if you can implement that dynamic level stuff. I didn't know you could do that...

But there seems to be a problem with Silver. If this is set 4 years after Johto's saga, then why would Silver have a son if he's about 14 years old and lead Team Rocket if he hates them?

Also, would the starter be a choice of 3 or a single starter?
Old June 4th, 2010 (04:41 AM). Edited June 4th, 2010 by Nikolai Fox.
Nikolai Fox

The dynamic level stuff has already been implemented Roxas. And it is possible thanks to JPAN.

It's a good job I've not implemented Silver yet then :p

So Silver hates Team Rocket? Is it explained why?

There is a single starter, Pikachu. You get to start catching Pokémon early on though, and there are side-quests that give the other Kanto starters quite early. (They have to be earned though, so you don't just get given them).

If anyone wants to know how I made any of these features, then feel free to ask, I'd be glad to share. Feel free to use them in your hacks too.
Old June 4th, 2010 (08:46 AM).
Roxasabridged
Lucariowner

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roxasabridged
Quote:
So Silver hates Team Rocket? Is it explained why?
I can't remember the exact reason. It involves hating Giovanni, I think, and seeing TR as weak losers.

Quote:
There is a single starter, Pikachu.
Curse my inability to dump starters...

Quote:
You get to start catching Pokémon early on though, and there are side-quests that give the other Kanto starters quite early. (They have to be earned though, so you don't just get given them).
Awesome. So no Johto starters?
Old June 4th, 2010 (08:51 AM).
Nikolai Fox

There will be Johto starters. You won't get them until later on though (you get sent to Johto some time about a quarter of the way into the main storyline (Not post-Pokémon league. The Pokémon league will require all 16 badges).

There's nothing stopping you changing the starter Pokémon yourself Pikachu is better now though, because of the rebalance.
Old June 4th, 2010 (09:10 AM).
siper x
I'm Russia, Fear Russia

Nature: Lonely
this looks very good. can't wait to play the beta!

Blood brother to Kroso
Old June 4th, 2010 (09:15 AM).
psychicboy
Hacking is all that matters...

Nature: Hasty
Hey. If you ever need help with a scripting problem, I can be sure to help you if you ask. Just lending out my services to a project I'll be keeping my eye on.

Wanna play my hack? Check it out here!

My sig was "too big brah", so I shortened it.
Old June 4th, 2010 (09:22 AM).
siper x
I'm Russia, Fear Russia

just noticed something, on your mountain/hill(s), you have 1 to many stairs going up. you put 1 where there is usually flat groung on the top of the mountain/hill.

Blood brother to Kroso
Old June 4th, 2010 (09:39 AM).
Nikolai Fox

Thanks siper and psychic boy

I'll bare that in mind psychic, although I'm good as a scripter but it's nice to know where I can go for help.

Siper, I'm not sure what you mean with the stairs, but I'll have a look at some of Nintendo's stairs and see if there's a difference (Y)
Old June 4th, 2010 (10:18 AM).
Magic
Guardian of the Great Rift

The dynamic levelling thing seems interesting but doesn't it cause a problem because the pokemon won't evolve even if they are level 50 etc? Also if you are carrying around a weak pokemon you are training all the pokemon are weaker - therefore you could just carry around a lv 5 pokemon so that you don't have any tough encounters.
Old June 4th, 2010 (10:51 AM). Edited June 4th, 2010 by siper x.
siper x
I'm Russia, Fear Russia

what i mean is this is what you have

when they are ussually like this

that's what i mean by extra stair.

EDIT:
also i just saw that your skinny trees are wrong
you have

it is suppose to be

Blood brother to Kroso
Old June 4th, 2010 (12:18 PM).
Nikolai Fox

Haha oh yeah, thanks siper I'll look into that.

The Pokémon evolve fine, I tested it with a full team so there's no problem there (Y)

The idea behind the dynamic isn't for a challenge, it's so people aren't tied down to where they form their team or what they train on by the area and Pokémon species. So you can train your main Pokémon to say level 20, so then you can go back to route 1, catch a level 17 Pokémon. It encourages building a dynamic team rather than tanking with the starter :p

I could alter it to make it based on an average, or make it your strongest minues a few levels. I guess I could do a poll?

I'd like some comments on it from a few people before doing a poll though.

Thanks for the constructive guys :D
Old June 4th, 2010 (12:35 PM).
siper x
I'm Russia, Fear Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Fox View Post
Haha oh yeah, thanks siper I'll look into that.

The Pokémon evolve fine, I tested it with a full team so there's no problem there (Y)

The idea behind the dynamic isn't for a challenge, it's so people aren't tied down to where they form their team or what they train on by the area and Pokémon species. So you can train your main Pokémon to say level 20, so then you can go back to route 1, catch a level 17 Pokémon. It encourages building a dynamic team rather than tanking with the starter :p

I could alter it to make it based on an average, or make it your strongest minues a few levels. I guess I could do a poll?

I'd like some comments on it from a few people before doing a poll though.

Thanks for the constructive guys :D
no problem.

i'd say average level, so it is also easier to trai your stronger pokemon in the party (also so then peopl with HM slaves don't fight level 2s and 3s all the time.)

Blood brother to Kroso
Old June 4th, 2010 (02:19 PM).
Nikolai Fox

Disrupter, tjwilliams, you can be closed beta testers. I want one more, any others afterwards will have to wait until new open betas. (I need closed betas so I don't release buggy betas in open beta).
Old June 5th, 2010 (06:53 AM).
siper x
I'm Russia, Fear Russia

i can beta test. i like this hack, and helped find tile errors, and i might find more when actually playing the game.

Blood brother to Kroso
Old June 5th, 2010 (07:27 AM).
Nikolai Fox

You're hired Siper.

I'm no longer recruiting closed-beta testers. I have three now and the rest of the bugs can be found in open-beta (which isn't far off now anyway).
Old June 5th, 2010 (07:37 AM).
Barbie Jean
Community Supporter

for the levels of the leaders and wild is interesting. Out of curiosity, how long is the first beta gonna be?

Old June 5th, 2010 (07:47 AM).
Nikolai Fox

How long it is is debatable. It depends how long it takes you to finish the side-quests (one can take a long time, and is a puzzly one. Yes, puzzly :p), and it depends whether or not you decide to train to beat the training gym leader. You will want at least a team of four, second evolution + Pokémon with a type advantage. It's going to seem really hard in the beta, and I'll explain why at the end of this post.

It also depends on whether or not you interact with everything. All books, etc.

Now, here is the the deal with gym leaders and the elite four. They are a lot more difficult, and will be very hard around the start of the game, even though you can get to some early on. This is because they are there optionally, and for people who want a really good challenge, with good rewards.

They are optional because the game is a lot less focused on gym leaders and the elite four, as they are now basically one big side-quest, as none are required to advance the plot.

The elite four will require all 16 badges from Johto and Kanto.
Old June 5th, 2010 (08:52 AM).
tjwilliams24
Gone.

Thank you for letting me beta test! Now, I'm going to give a very detailed critique.

1. I love the storyline. The main thing I really like about it is how your mother gets kidnapped. It really strays away from the usual "bad team captures legendary, please stop them." sort of idea.

2. I really like your trainer re-battle idea. Especially how you can re-battle them as much as you want. Re-battling trainers is much better then just battling wild pokemon.

3. Your dynamic ideas are just great. The dynamic gym battle idea really makes sure fighting a gym leader will always be a challenge, and it makes it so a player won't just raise there pokemon 10 levels higher then the gym leaders and win right away.

4. I love side-quests and I feel your going to execute these side quests very nicely. Side-quests really make the game more enjoyable and the playing time longer.

5. I really like how your setting up the regions. Especially how Kanto pokemon will be in Johto, and vise versa. And I'm also a huge fan of populating towns more and putting in anime towns/cities that weren't in the games.

6. I absolutely love the idea of unique photos/televisions/bookshelves. Their very mysterious and I only have one question. Will they be placed around the region randomly?

7. I like how you set up the main character. I like how he is a new character and can do things on his own, like running without running shoes.

This hack has great potential. I believe your going to be a great hacker. Can't wait to test it out! Good luck!
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links