The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:56 PM
brokenxnote

Send a message via AIM to brokenxnote Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to brokenxnote Send a message via Yahoo to brokenxnote Send a message via Skype™ to brokenxnote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichuichu View Post
Okay I have taken your advice and will update the post in the next couple of days. Secondly If you, Brokennote think you can help make the game better, with advice or anything feel free to do. Last but not least I have been busy lately so I haven't had much time to do anything, but I am trying my best to learn Rgss so I can help a little more with the game. So clearly as you can see I am trying my best to make my game better, and I am not trying to let my teammates do all the work.

Sorry if any of this Insults you.
firstly, none of it insulted me at all. its actually exactly what i asked for because you finally answered a few of my questions instead of saying "system crash".

secondly, this wouldve been shorter if you had answered like this earlier.

thirdly, i already gave you my advice in the form of those questions about the features.
Quote:
Features:
Unique Regions [Unique how? Is there something extremely different that makes this region "unique" and special, or did you really just mean to say that it would be a NEW region?]
Unique Plot [You seemingly haven't even made your plot yet, so if I were you, I wouldn't promise this until I had the plot actually written out.]
New Character's [There's new characters in each new generation of Pokemon games. What makes these a new feature?]
New Team [Once again, what makes them a new feature? What does the team actually want to accomplish? What are they doing? How are you expected to stop them?]
No Fakemon [That's less of a feature, more of an absence of a feature, but seeing as people will eventually ask anyway if you don't list it, I can see why you'd list it here.]
5Th Gen Pokemon Too! [So I can assume you're going to wait a year and a half to program these in, since you'll need to wait for Nintendo to release Black and White before you can get their actual Dex Entries?]
Travel to The Hoenn Region To Uncover Secret's. [WHAT secrets? Why are we going to Hoenn? Is it a part of the story, that helps the story actually progress, or is it just a random feature you decided to put in?]
Low Level Guardians. [This isn't really a good thing, at least with how you've stated it. What I can understand from this, is that, in your game, the legendaries, which are usually the most powerful Pokemon in the game and the hardest to catch, have been weakened. Wouldn't that basically take a way from the challenge, and in turn, interest in your game? Why would I want a game where i just walk around tossing Pokeball's left and right, catching whatever I want, without any challenge at all?]
Touch Screen (Hopefully) [For what? The touch screen on DPP/HGSS games is because those games are on the DS, which has a second screen made for that purpose, so if they didn't use the touch screen, it'd just make the bottom half of the DS useless and pointless. On a computer/tablet/laptop, there's one screen. Now, even if you're thinking of only having one screen that happens to be useable with the mouse, that's also more of a hassle than a helpful feature. The original games were all button-controlled only, no touch screen. If you put in the touch screen, it will just create extra work in which the player has to reach from their keyboard, to their mouse, and back to their keyboard. Now, unless you have a VERY good, thought out plan as to what to use the touchscreen for, I suggest not including that in your game until you CAN think of a purpose for it.]
Shadow Pokemon [Once again, WHY? What part do they play in the story? Do they have something to do with the Evil Team of your game? Can they be caught and Purified? Are they in both the normal world AND the dark world, or just the dark world?]
Dark World. [W-h-y? What part does it play in the story, if any at all? Why are we going there? What and/or who is in there that we so badly need to go to the dark world?]
More Coming
just work on developing your plot a whole lot more and make sure you can answer those questions and you should be a lot better off.

all my posts were just meant to challenge you and help make your game better. all of those were my advice. just read them over in that way, and you have my advice.
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)

Thank you for that, I appreciate it.

Credit: Invasion For Sig And Avatar.

My Da Account ->here<-
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM
MegaNew
Pokémon Unetta Owner

The map looks so ... It just doesnt match. You have D/P trees with hg/ss buildings? I really dont like those flowers. This makes the game un appealing
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)

Okay Elarmasecreta is editing the tilesets to fit everything okay?

Again ANYONE who is GOOD at

Spriting
Scripting
Music
PixilArt

Please PM or VM me.

My Da Account ->here<-
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM
habit12

hey i just made a few maps ima send u the link k
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Jolly
I feel like I have to apologize for the map I posted earlier, I've put together tiles meant for different games and it looked horrible, so sorry for that. I'm working on new tiles for buildings.

Anyway, I've got a mapshot ready for the first town, along with some other ingame screenshots. The new building tiles I'm working on aren't meant for this town, so I used the tiles Kyledove provided us. The lab has been recolored to fit in with the rest, I might replace it, but that's still uncertain.

Spoiler:
The first route.Maticaro woods
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:22 AM
MegaNew
Pokémon Unetta Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarmasecreta View Post
I feel like I have to apologize for the map I posted earlier, I've put together tiles meant for different games and it looked horrible, so sorry for that. I'm working on new tiles for buildings.

Anyway, I've got a mapshot ready for the first town, along with some other ingame screenshots. The new building tiles I'm working on aren't meant for this town, so I used the tiles Kyledove provided us. The lab has been recolored to fit in with the rest, I might replace it, but that's still uncertain.

Spoiler:
The first route.Maticaro woods
Thats better the lab needs to be removed though, love how u added fog
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM
brokenxnote

Send a message via AIM to brokenxnote Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to brokenxnote Send a message via Yahoo to brokenxnote Send a message via Skype™ to brokenxnote
in response to your visitor message asking for me to check out your thread again:

okay, ive read your updated storyline, and i like what youre trying to go for. it actually is unique from usual stories.

but how do you actually plan on implementing the storyline into your game? according to your storyline, wont the player have to do a bunch of environmentalist and "Good Samaritan" sidequests just to find shaymin? without scripters yet, are you sure itll be possible to pull off the specifics of this storyline?

also, you still need to work the reasons for going to hoenn and the dark world into the plot, or else they'll be pointless busy work and sidequests.

also, sorry but theres not much i can do with actually joining your team. i could map if i werent busy, but im currently working on my own game, and its hard enough to resist procrastinating on that as it is haha. i would if i could though.
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)

Brokenxnote, I will in fact have sidequest that you will need to do for the games progress. Also here's an update about hoenn, and the dark world.

Hoenn: Around mid-game a Newscast will go out about an extinct race of pokemon has been found In hoenn and the professer wants you to research them.

The reverse world: The reverse world will be linked to the real world so if in the real world there's, say a rock slide, blocking the way you would look around for a portal and solve a puzzle to clear it ot the way. And will also play a huge part in the plot of the game.

Okay I will update the post with a new design and info, also I know this is fail but how do you make events like rock smash and cut events.

Greatly in need of
Scripters
Anyone

Okay also if you know a scripter can you tell me about them?

My Da Account ->here<-

Last edited by Pichuichu; June 17th, 2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM
brokenxnote

Quote:
Brokenxnote, I will in fact have sidequest that you will need to do for the games progress. Also here's an update about hoenn, and the dark world.

Hoenn: Around mid-game a Newscast will go out about an extinct race of pokemon has been found In hoenn and the professer wants you to research them.

The reverse world: The reverse world will be linked to the real world so if in the real world there's, say a rock slide, blocking the way you would look around for a portal and solve a puzzle to clear it ot the way. And will also play a huge part in the plot of the game.

Okay I will update the post with a new design and info, also I know this is fail but how do you make events like rock smash and cut events.

Greatly in need of
Scripters
Anyone

Okay also if you know a scripter can you tell me about them?
no can do. im looking for one for my project too. they all seem busy for some reason...lol
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)

I agree with you everyones busy. You ask someone and sorry working on my game. I'm thinking of learning rgss myself look at CNG's tuts they're quite good.

My Da Account ->here<-
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)

Hi Guys I Finished The Town Map Here It It's

Click image for larger version

Name:	Map.png
Views:	21
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	54852

My Da Account ->here<-
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Poeman
Booted out - don't be like me!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW
It's It's It's SO LINEAR!
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)

Okay So Yes it's Linear But How Could I Make It Better?

My Da Account ->here<-
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Kyza
MMORPG Game Developer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kyza Send a message via Yahoo to Kyza
Well im a game Dev... For MMO.. before you try making a consol game you should always start with a MMO... It costs less and you can get heaps of players and make it worldwide.

Im god at scripting... and sorta good at pixel art...

But...you should make an MMO first on the internet.. I can help heaps by.
•Scriptig
•Art
•Forums
•Chat
•Trade system
ect.

All that for free...

So you want to make the MMO?...
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
brokenxnote

what are THESE shenanigans? you have the player walking in a virtually straight line. think about the fact that with that map you have, there are only two choices of direction the player can make: forward or back. it IS possible to make towns connect to more than two other towns you know...move the towns around a bit so the player cant go EVERYWHERE at once, but they still arent travelling in a straight line for the entire trip. thats just...boring ._. and might i ask, how did you make your map? ive been wondering how to do so for my own game [already have a poorly drawn rough draft in photoshop, ready to be made a bit more official haha.

and Kyza, wouldnt it be better to make a small downloadable game before making an MMO? with a small game, youve got the people of the community to give feedback and such, and its much easier to set up than an MMO. no chat system, no trade neccesary. plus, i dont know why you said making an MMO is free when making this game is free too. this game is downloadable for the computer, not a console..
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Kyza
MMORPG Game Developer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kyza Send a message via Yahoo to Kyza
Well Ill tell you some thing... I helped Kyro create PWO it was suposted to be a little game but It turned out being one of the most popularest game.... And t costs more to get it a download able item.. scince it is heaps of files and you need to pay to get it on the internet...

But with a MMO I know heaps and I can script, html, php.... ect

So Id go with a MMO...
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:30 AM
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyza View Post
Well Ill tell you some thing... I helped Kyro create PWO it was suposted to be a little game but It turned out being one of the most popularest game.... And t costs more to get it a download able item.. scince it is heaps of files and you need to pay to get it on the internet...

So Id go with a MMO...
And I'd try not to push someone into doing something else when they want to make a game in the programe of their choice.
Also, Pichuichu if you need any help in RMXP I'll give you a hand in general.

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.

Last edited by carmaniac; June 20th, 2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:12 PM
brokenxnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyza View Post

So Id go with a MMO...
what are you talking about? these fanmade games are only ONE file that cost nothing to put on the internet, so im confused as to what youre thinking about...

and yeah, like carmaniac said, id try not to push someone away from their own original intentions. it can make you seem a bit rude and pushy...
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)

Hi Carmaniac Thanks FOr Helping What Could You Do? Also Yes I Don't Really Want To Make A Mmo But Thanks Anyway.

My Da Account ->here<-
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:52 PM
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

I've got skills in all areas with mapping and spriting at my strongest.

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Pichuichu
Creator Of (Insert Here)

Update! Update! Here's A Update.

ScreenShots

Name:	6-21-2010 4-23-12 PM.png
Views:	49
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	54883

Name:	6-21-2010 4-23-55 PM.png
Views:	46
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	54884

Name:	6-21-2010 4-24-20 PM.png
Views:	47
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	54885

Also Heres A Map Of Hoenn.

Name:	Map.png
Views:	36
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	54886

My Da Account ->here<-
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM
brokenxnote

wait...why did we need to see a map of hoenn? thats kinda...redundant, dont you think? o.o lol

and could you add descriptions to the in-game screenshots so that we know what we're looking at?

finally, ive asked this a few times already, but howd you make that world map? i need to make one for my game too
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM
Neo-Spriteman
or goloog. that works too.

Send a message via Skype™ to Neo-Spriteman
Quote:
Update! Update! Here's A Update.

ScreenShots
Attachment 54883
Attachment 54884
Attachment 54885

Also Heres A Map Of Hoenn.
Attachment 54886
I hope you are planning to use some different tiles. Honestly, I hate kyle's old style of tiling. They're too bland. Use more vibrant colors and trees. Only one kind of tree and house = Not a very popular game.
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:19 PM
brokenxnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Spriteman View Post
I hope you are planning to use some different tiles. Honestly, I hate kyle's old style of tiling. They're too bland. Use more vibrant colors and trees. Only one kind of tree and house = Not a very popular game.
Actually, judging by the houses in the 2nd and 3rd screens both being by the same body of water, I think these may be just the same house, which is why I asked him to add descriptions. Because if they are the same house, it begs the question: why did you just show us two screenshots that are only like 10 tiles/character steps away from each other?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links