Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 2 Weeks Ago (01:47 AM).
Yukiyo Kayume
Dragon Goddess

Nature: Lonely
so I've been wondering recently... where do you draw the line between fanfiction or not?

do you consider a story to be a fanfic if it simply includes a character from an anime/game/whatever but other than that has a completely original plot, setting and cast? or do you consider this to be an original, standalone story... or something in-between?

I've never really seen anyone comment on this topic before and was curious what you all think.

I personally think that if a story includes an existing character but otherwise has original elements, then it is an original work. however, this existing character should probably not be the MAIN character of the story ... but perhaps a main character ... hmm, it's tough to say.

a good example of this is Kingdom Hearts. (though KH having an original setting is pushing it a bit since most of the settings are Disney-themed, but yeah...you get the idea)

to keep the discussion going a bit, have you ever written a story like this?

I for one love including my favorite characters from anime or video games in a story, it helps to keep me inspired because instead of only using my own creations, I must work harder to write a suitable version of this character I like... keeping these characters, well, in-character, is both challenging and rewarding.

PS, I hope I put this in the write section! sorry if I didn't!

Add me on Battle.net! LadyDragon#1620
I love playing Diablo III, if you play too, let's play together!
Old 2 Weeks Ago (07:40 AM).
MorallyIncorrect
Turn off the heat, I'm trying to keep my cool

I would say something is fanfiction once it uses characters from an original IP, and is not in coöperation with the owner of the IP. Although you'd have to use the character as a regular guest star, or have multiple characters show up throughout. If it's just a one-time guest appereance, notify the reader that it is a possibility from the start that pop-culture could show up, because it can really take you out of a story, but I wouldn't call that a fanfiction. If you use it more than once, though, it's a fanfiction
Old 2 Weeks Ago (10:30 AM).
Warspirit

Nature: Brave
To me fanfiction is anything written where celebrities, characters from video games, etc. are in your story whether they are a main character or not. The plot can be original and contain anything but as long as that character is in it it's fanfiction to me.

I used to write fanfics a lot, when I was into a ton of music groups, and read quite a few too. It was really fun and took my mind off of the real world. Like you said, keeping them in character is the most fun part. It's challenging and makes you think "how would so and so act in this situation". Honestly it makes stories easier to write unless that character is very complex and makes you rack your brain for what's right. still fun though
Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:44 AM).
Nolafus
The Sentinel's Sorrow

Nature: Calm
Fanfiction is a story that takes place in the world of another original story. Characters have nothing to do with it. If you write a story about a pokemon trainer, it's pokemon fanfiction. If you write a story about a courier traveling across Tamriel, it's The Elder Scrolls fanfiction. Characters can certainly make an appearance, but it doesn't really define whether or not it's fanfiction.

Obvious exemptions to this rule are stories set in the real world, or stories set in worlds that are so common, no one can really take claim of them anymore. So having characters that are elves and dwarves don't count towards anything. There are probably a few other exemptions, but this is the general rule of thumb.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:50 AM).
MorallyIncorrect

Quote originally posted by Nolafus:
Fanfiction is a story that takes place in the world of another original story. Characters have nothing to do with it. If you write a story about a pokemon trainer, it's pokemon fanfiction. If you write a story about a courier traveling across Tamriel, it's The Elder Scrolls fanfiction. Characters can certainly make an appearance, but it doesn't really define whether or not it's fanfiction.

Obvious exemptions to this rule are stories set in the real world, or stories set in worlds that are so common, no one can really take claim of them anymore. So having characters that are elves and dwarves don't count towards anything. There are probably a few other exemptions, but this is the general rule of thumb.
Would you say that if I had a story placed in an original world with magic and dragons, but my main character is Walter White, it wouldn't be fanfiction? It seems to me that characters from other stories making regular appearances would qualify it as fan-fiction.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (12:00 PM).
Nolafus
The Sentinel's Sorrow

Quote originally posted by MorallyIncorrect:
Would you say that if I had a story placed in an original world with magic and dragons, but my main character is Walter White, it wouldn't be fanfiction? It seems to me that characters from other stories making regular appearances would qualify it as fan-fiction.
Well, if you have Walter there, then you're taking something from that world and putting that in your story, so yes, that would be fanfiction. Plus you might have to explain how he got there in the first place.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (04:01 PM).
PokéLoco

Quote originally posted by Nolafus:
Well, if you have Walter there, then you're taking something from that world and putting that in your story, so yes, that would be fanfiction. Plus you might have to explain how he got there in the first place.
That's a no-brainer, he's an alchemist :D

On-topic though, I personally consider a work fan-fiction if it uses elements of an existing fictional universe.
Say I would make a story that revolves around the world of Alice in Wonderland, but include original characters - that's a fan-fiction.
If I were to write a story about Freddie Mercury in a world where he is an actor rather than singer, that's a fan-fiction.

So in short, if a story uses ideas or concepts based on another story or artist who remain in character, then that's a fan-fiction. Unless it is with permission of the original author, then I would call it a collaboration.
[Lord Summerisle:] "Now, those children out there, they're jumping through the flames in the hope that the god of the fire will make them fruitful. Really, you can't blame them. After all, what girl would not prefer the child of a god to that of some acne-scarred artisan?"

[Sergeant Howie:] "And you encourage them in this?"

[Lord Summerisle:]"Actively! It's most important to teach new generation born of Summerisle be made aware that here the old gods aren't dead."

[Sergeant Howie:]"And what of the true God? To whose glory churches and monasteries have been built on these islands for generations past? Now what of Him?"

[Lord Summerisle:]"Oh, He's dead. He can't complain. He had his chance and in modern parlance. Blew it."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Lord Summerisle:]“And the ministers fled the island never to return. What my grandfather started out of expediency, my father continued out of love. He brought me up the same way: to reverence the music, and the drama, and the rituals of the old gods; to love nature and to fear it, and to rely on it and to appease it when necessary. He brought me up —”

[Sergeant Howie:]“He brought you up to be a pagan!”

[Lord Summerisle:]“A heathen, conceivably, but not, I hope, an unenlightened one.”
Old 2 Weeks Ago (04:56 PM).
Yukiyo Kayume
Dragon Goddess

some very interesting posts here guys! I'm really liking the discussion.

I really like Nolafus' thoughts on the matter, as I tend to generally feel the same way. if a work is otherwise entirely original, only containing a character (or two) from another universe, I feel that it's unfair to call the author's entire work a fanfiction

thoughts; if the author created an otherwise entirely original universe, plot, characters, etc... why should it be called a fanfiction? especially if this character's presence was thoroughly explained and such. I feel that doing this takes some skill and much more thought than a straight-out fanfiction would

Old 2 Weeks Ago (07:05 PM).
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Quote originally posted by Yukiyo Kayume:
thoughts; if the author created an otherwise entirely original universe, plot, characters, etc... why should it be called a fanfiction? especially if this character's presence was thoroughly explained and such. I feel that doing this takes some skill and much more thought than a straight-out fanfiction would
Woah there, that last bit doesn't always hold, at least depending on how you look at it.

A story that's all original does tend require a lot of thought to be good, what with world building, characters, plot, etc. But a lot of this still holds in fanfics. Let's take Pokemon for sake of example. You have a basis for worldbuilding, and a number of canon characters to work with. The challenge thus comes not from creating your own things from scratch, but working with the basis already provided - someone else's own creation - to create your own story. You have certain personality traits that are already established for say any Gym Leader or professor, but they don't always give the full character. Many ideas and events exist between the canon that give a lot of 'what if?' questions, or can lead to many interesting directions (e.g. what if there was a government in Pokemon? How did that PC system really come about, or Pokeballs?), but trying to fit your ideas into a world that can conflict with them is a different challenge to just being able to shape the story as you will as convenient (within reason, of course). Then there's doing a good job of that as well. Some characters only have so much information provided that you have to be careful to not change them as to put off readers (e.g. "that's not what Waker would do").

And there's still degrees of the standard things you need to do on top of that. Say for instance the story is set in a fictional region, and/or with Fakemon. Or you're using original characters; you have to plot them out too. Now, mixing one aspect with everything else that is original, and doing that well isn't easy at all, but I disagree that it would require more skill or whatnot than a fanfic that is far closer to the Pokemon canon representations.

...But that's a different topic. =p

As for the topic here, I'd say that using part of a world - be it a character, or specific event, or setting - beyond a mere reference would make it a fanfiction. Putting Professor Oak in the real world? That's a fanfic, as you're just tackling the (albeit weird) question 'what if Oak was in the real world?' in a story. Same as if you just put in original characters and original characters only in the Pokemon world (so I suppose then also fakemon too) - it's still using a basis of the Pokemon fandom in the story significantly, so it would imo count as a fanfiction.
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old 2 Weeks Ago (10:00 PM).
Yukiyo Kayume
Dragon Goddess

Quote originally posted by bobandbill:
snip
sorry, you're right. I shouldn't have said it requires more skill, but I couldn't really think of the correct way to put my thoughts into words. my bad, did not mean to offend anyone or come off as a jerk.

I completely agree with you that writing fanfiction is challenging (and fun!) because writing something based off of someone else's work is a big undertaking, and sadly a lot of the time I see the canon stuff being thrown out the window and it strikes me as very odd.

my earlier statement of "original stories taking more skill" was phrased very poorly and sounded kind of self-absorbed. what I meant to say -- what I was really thinking -- is that in my own experience writing stories, it is far easier for me to write a pure fanfiction than it is coming up with something entirely original.

when I have canon settings and characters to work with, it is far easier for me to get started since I already have the tools I need to get going. usually, I get inspired very quickly when I write fanfiction because the story revolves around a fandom I adore and know a lot about. (it's ultra fun making sure everything makes sense, too! but I also love adding my own characters and such to the mix to be a part of the world)

on the other hand, when I try to write something original, it's a bit more difficult. it takes a lot of planning, brainstorming and inspiration to really get something going. I don't want my story or my characters to be too similar to current fandom 001 but I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't inspired by my interests.

I rarely write purely original works, because it is difficult to find inspiration for something entirely within myself (does that make sense?) taking something from an outside source makes it more interesting/rewarding to write.

usually what I do is... I create an original universe, original characters and plot...create lore for this world and such, and then I add in a character from something I like (of course it has to make sense lol). I don't really consider it to be entirely fanfiction (though I can completely understand your point of view) because so much...hm, "originality" was put into everything else.

I mean, that's how I inspire myself. I can create stuff that's completely original, but it is sometimes boring because everything is coming from my own mind.. I'm just playing with my own creations (which is cool, but I always know what will happen because..these are my creations)

whereas, if I add in a canon character...it becomes more than just me; I now have to watch more closely because I need to make sure to keep it in-character, lest it becomes awkward. this is a fun challenge, but I do not believe the work should be labeled flat-out fanfiction because of it.

different than a fanfiction, but it is not fully original either -- something in-between.

again, I apologize for my poor phrasing earlier! thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

Old 2 Weeks Ago (12:18 AM).
MorallyIncorrect

Quote originally posted by PokéLoco:
Say I would make a story that revolves around the world of Alice in Wonderland, but include original characters - that's a fan-fiction.
You raise an interesting point here. Alice in Wonderland is public domain, so I don't think you'd have to call it a fanfiction. I'd say if you used characters from the recent live action movie and their likeness, it would be fanfiction for that movie, but I don't think just using the Wonderland world or characters as from the books would really qualify as fanfiction. Loads of stories use Dracula, Frankenstein or Quartermain, I wouldn't really call those fanfiction either, although those characters have been singled out from their respective works through the years.

I don't think you wanted to raise this point, but you really got me thinkin.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (05:33 AM).
PokéLoco

You raise an interesting point here. Alice in Wonderland is public domain, so I don't think you'd have to call it a fanfiction. I'd say if you used characters from the recent live action movie and their likeness, it would be fanfiction for that movie, but I don't think just using the Wonderland world or characters as from the books would really qualify as fanfiction. Loads of stories use Dracula, Frankenstein or Quartermain, I wouldn't really call those fanfiction either, although those characters have been singled out from their respective works through the years.

I don't think you wanted to raise this point, but you really got me thinkin.
Ah, I didn't know that was a public domain - it was simply the first thing that came to mind since my friend is writing an Alice in Wonderland x Wizard of Oz crossover. But yes, you raise a valid point, one that was outside my knowledge, and in this regard I'd take back what I said and agree with you.
[Lord Summerisle:] "Now, those children out there, they're jumping through the flames in the hope that the god of the fire will make them fruitful. Really, you can't blame them. After all, what girl would not prefer the child of a god to that of some acne-scarred artisan?"

[Lord Summerisle:]"Actively! It's most important to teach new generation born of Summerisle be made aware that here the old gods aren't dead."

[Sergeant Howie:]"And what of the true God? To whose glory churches and monasteries have been built on these islands for generations past? Now what of Him?"

[Lord Summerisle:]"Oh, He's dead. He can't complain. He had his chance and in modern parlance. Blew it."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Lord Summerisle:]“And the ministers fled the island never to return. What my grandfather started out of expediency, my father continued out of love. He brought me up the same way: to reverence the music, and the drama, and the rituals of the old gods; to love nature and to fear it, and to rely on it and to appease it when necessary. He brought me up —”

[Lord Summerisle:]“A heathen, conceivably, but not, I hope, an unenlightened one.”
Old 2 Weeks Ago (06:07 AM).
MorallyIncorrect

Quote originally posted by PokéLoco:
Ah, I didn't know that was a public domain - it was simply the first thing that came to mind since my friend is writing an Alice in Wonderland x Wizard of Oz crossover. But yes, you raise a valid point, one that was outside my knowledge, and in this regard I'd take back what I said and agree with you.
Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz or both in the public domain, so I don't know if he planned on calling it a fanfiction, but I think you can call it an original story in this case.

There's no need in taking it back, your example got your point across, it's just that the nature of the example got me thinking about the public domain.

EDIT: Did some googling, The Wizard Of Oz is only in the public domain as a book. The movie rights are with MGM
Old 2 Weeks Ago (06:25 AM).
PokéLoco

Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz or both in the public domain, so I don't know if he planned on calling it a fanfiction, but I think you can call it an original story in this case.

There's no need in taking it back, your example got your point across, it's just that the nature of the example got me thinking about the public domain.

EDIT: Did some googling, The Wizard Of Oz is only in the public domain as a book. The movie rights are with MGM
Yeah fair enough. I shouldn't reply before I've had my coffee. I do it time and time again and nearly always regret it, hehe.

And no I don't know what she was planning to call it, we'd always just refer to it as a story.

Old 1 Week Ago (05:28 PM).
Kyoe
working on it

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Kyoe
Eh, late reply.

Personally I'm not to big a fan of fan fiction. Not to sound like a snob, but I've very rarely read many good quality ones, so that might be affecting my opinion of it.

As for what defines a fan fiction, I would have to say that if something carries heavy influence from another series without being officially connected to it, it's fan fiction.

For example, if I were to write an entire romance story about two characters living in Kanto, and have Pokémon as a common aspect of the story then it would be a Pokémon fan fiction. Even if I was the one who created the characters, dreamt up the passions and wrote the lines, Pidgeys flying through the air in several scenes of the book make it based on a previous series. It's not original, and that's the takeaway.

Contrastingly, if I wrote a comic book and in an issue or two the character John Constantine shows up to help the protagonist, it's not a fan fiction. Hellblazer did appear in the story, but the story isn't about him, or placed in any location affiliated with that series. Aside from, of course, my story and Hellblazer apparently taking place in the same universe.

It's also important to remember that some characters and series have passed through many people's hands throughout their run, though. Consider for a moment something like Sherlock Holmes. You wouldn't likely call any of the TV Programs, or Movies fan fiction. So there must be more to it then just inclusion or exclusion of certain pertaining elements.

Sorry, I guess I'm not being very apt, am I?
Haha...

—————————
Kaizen | oh snap | working on it
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links