< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > Create & Discover > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge Poetry in Prose

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Reply Post Reply

Old December 26th, 2015 (5:10 PM).
ModeratorCS

Poetry is its on classification of creative writing, and it allows for a meriad of different approaches. Grammar, spelling and pronunciation all became much more like clay, for the poet to bend and mold into the desired marble Bergmite statue that was being made.

In writing prose, one can use a lot of these elements. Be it the strategic use of rhythmic sentences, alliteration or cutting
A sentence of earlier. Are there any typical poetic techniques you use in your prose writing? What are they? Do you feel like there are some do's and don'ts?
paired to Foxrally. And while you're reading this, check out the Roleplay Theatre.

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 27th, 2015 (10:23 AM).
hawt chibi
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naive
wow mate did you make this when drunk

In Swedish writing, it seems to be popular these days to use choppy words to describe settings and feelings.

Warm, shirt sticking to her skin, fly landing on her nose. Frustration.
^

I hate doing that myself, haha. Not overly keen on reading it either. However, there are ways of writing prose that really gets me hooked. Makes me feel the text rather than read it. A particular writer (also Swedish, sorry) called Per Nilsson has such an interesting way of telling his stories that I've been trying to write like him... But failed. Mostly. It's hard to describe, and not many of his books are apparently translated into English so I'm not sure I can give examples. This is what sucks about discussing writing in a language that's not your native tongue haha.

I'm also not sure that I can give examples of typical rules or mechanics I make use of. I just type and try to give it a nice flow. But I do want people to feel my sentences, not just read them. :)

META JOURNEY <<>> BLACKTHORN BC
moderator for the Roleplay Theatre
paired with Legend & Abnegation
Old December 27th, 2015 (1:12 PM).
ModeratorCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
But I do want people to feel my sentences, not just read them. :)
This is why you start publishing in Braille.

I myself use some poetic freedom in my writing in that I sometimes change words in ways that aren't allowed. Especially if characters are childish or comedic, the descriptive writing will change with that, and things like evilisher might pop up in the text. Things like rhyme or breaking of sentences I don't use.
paired to Foxrally. And while you're reading this, check out the Roleplay Theatre.
Old December 27th, 2015 (1:19 PM).
hawt chibi
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
This is why you start publishing in Braille.

I myself use some poetic freedom in my writing in that I sometimes change words in ways that aren't allowed. Especially if characters are childish or comedic, the descriptive writing will change with that, and things like evilisher might pop up in the text. Things like rhyme or breaking of sentences I don't use.

I totally do that too. Do things or use words that are not strictly grammatically correct. Because that makes the language mine in that particular piece of writing, and I can use it to convey whatever I want it to, and focus on what I am writing, rather than how and if I am doing it right or now. Usually (in Swedish) I know if I'm doing something wrong on purpose, of course, haha. I think many authors bend rules and experiment, see what works and what doesn't really get accepted by readers.

META JOURNEY <<>> BLACKTHORN BC
moderator for the Roleplay Theatre
paired with Legend & Abnegation
Old January 8th, 2016 (5:46 PM).
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
To be honest I don't think I can pull off putting some poetry in my writing without ruining the tone/mood I was going for. I think a lot of the things I wrote isn't too deep, so I rarely attempt that kind of prose. I do try to make every word count to the best of my ability, however.
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links