Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old November 24th, 2015 (12:21 PM). Edited February 9th, 2016 by FBI.
Free supporter
Silver Tier

Project: Battle System remake for FireRed

I was making lots of hacks for the battle engine in Fire Red, to the point at which I think I might as well rewrite the whole thing. The entire engine is sort of outdated, large parts of it are undocumented, people are changing different things and are losing compatibility with other hacks, ect. Thus, my motivation to just rewrite the entire thing.

Goals and benefits:

Some benefits would include:
- Bugless Mega Evolutions/forms
- All Abilities and Moves from current generation implemented and working
- Easy flexibility to add and delete things
- Battle modes not limited to single and standard trainer double battles
- In battle evolutions --
- and basically other features like capture exp and trainer sliding
I will be borrowing a lot of the resources from the default ROM such as certain data tables, and some code for graphics, but almost everything will be written from scratch. When it's done I think I'll make just a patch or post src code, and you can patch it/build it and have all the moves, abilities, and a modernized engine for your FireRed hack. It'd mean that battle scripting is also not going to be needed for Fire Red hacking, as you can just add to the source. I keep saying FR hack, but since it's from scratch, it should be compatible with EM as well (though idc 'bout EM :D ).

I plan to write the battle engine in C, but I have some conditions:
1) If I don't get any help, I will keep it to myself and not share a release.

2) If you want to help I'd prefer if you knew C. If you know ASM, but don't know C, you can still help out, but you'll be in a lot of pain.

The main reason I made this thread, is to hopefully attract anyone who'd like to contribute. Feel free to post if you're interested in helping :)

Current Progress:

Check: https://github.com/EternalCode/Battle-System

Contributers/special thanks:

Touched - I used his Python scripts he wrote for Follow-me :3
SBird - The old battle start sliding stuff
BlueRose & Dizzy - Tables

My Stuff:
ASM tutorials
C tutorial
YT Random Hacks
GitHub

My Contributions:
Hack Chat
ASM Resource Thread

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 26th, 2015 (4:26 PM). Edited November 26th, 2015 by BLAx501!.
Pokemon Flux

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to BLAx501!
Hmm, this seems pretty interesting, I can't believe there is no comments in here... I would love to help with this, but although I know some C programming from university, I've never done something like this. If there is anything I can do, I would be happy to help :3
Old November 26th, 2015 (5:42 PM).

I think I can help. My main goto language has been C for years, and I've dabbled in ASM programming, both inside and outside the Pokemon Hacking Community. PM me or reply in the thread if you want my help.
Old November 26th, 2015 (7:34 PM).
Kanto Champion

Nature: Quirky
This sounds great!
Old November 26th, 2015 (8:46 PM).
Free supporter
Silver Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAx501! View Post
Hmm, this seems pretty interesting, I can't believe there is no comments in here... I would love to help with this, but although I know some C programming from university, I've never done something like this. If there is anything I can do, I would be happy to help :3
Yeah, I need people to help with programming it as well as someone who has a hobby in creating data tables (for moves like fling). I'd also like to rework some of the existing tables like the ability/move table to have some new entries required for the newer move mechanics. So if you can't help with the Programming side, that part is also available to do :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urobolos View Post
I think I can help. My main goto language has been C for years, and I've dabbled in ASM programming, both inside and outside the Pokemon Hacking Community. PM me or reply in the thread if you want my help.
Yes! Help would be awesome.
http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?channels=rh
Join, and see if someone named FBI is online (that's me!). If I'm there type my name in the chat and I'll respond with more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonBen View Post
This sounds great!
That's 'cause it is great. Imagine having a large ROM mechanic in C source code. You'd be able to get a lot of hacking/expanding/other customization done to the battle engine with fair ease. Battling is arguably the largest make or break feature in hacks, since you spend a large portion of the game battling trainers ect. Hackers also go through a lot of trouble to update battle graphics, and mechanics to keep things fresh.

--

Maybe I'll make update posts here on what's needed to pending work - work that needs doing. Or would it be preferred if I just dumped everything on my Github and had people contribute that way? Github is normally the way to go, but I don't want to gimp community participation by introducing version control software. We'll see how it goes, I'll probably use git for myself and have the other things in this thread. We can have both.

My Stuff:
ASM tutorials
C tutorial
YT Random Hacks
GitHub

My Contributions:
Hack Chat
ASM Resource Thread
Old November 26th, 2015 (9:00 PM).
Kanto Champion

I would prefer you to make update posts on here. Just giving a list of completed, in-dev and planned features.
Old November 27th, 2015 (5:22 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I was making lots of hacks for the battle engine in Fire Red, to the point at which I think I might as well rewrite the whole thing. The entire engine is sort of outdated, large parts of it are undocumented, people are changing different things and are losing compatibility with other hacks, ect. Thus, my motivation to just rewrite the entire thing.
Amazing. Jambo51 may be doing something similar here, would it be helpful?
Old November 27th, 2015 (10:29 AM).
Free supporter
Silver Tier

Quote:
I would prefer you to make update posts on here. Just giving a list of completed, in-dev and planned features.
Yeah, I'll keep a log here too. Will edit the OP shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_XY View Post
Amazing. Jambo51 may be doing something similar here, would it be helpful?
That's a much bigger project. Jambo is writing an entire game engine, I don't think his battle system is being worked on either. Looks like he has higher priorities for his game atm.

---
I'll edit the OP with stuff regarding the project soon~

My Stuff:
ASM tutorials
C tutorial
YT Random Hacks
GitHub

My Contributions:
Hack Chat
ASM Resource Thread
Old November 27th, 2015 (11:12 AM).
Kanto Champion

Nice one! I am a noob when it comes to stuff like this so I have to ask how this will be implemented? It doesn't sound like it with be with Software so we can check/uncheck features and it doesn't feel right for it to be in an IPS patch. But I just check the thread and you are writing it in C so am I right in assuming that you will be releasing this as a software?

Sorry for the idiot question, many facepalms must be going on now.
Old November 27th, 2015 (6:55 PM).

Awesome! ^O^ I was just thinking of creating a new battle system that is script-based but yours is so much better! (Which will mean my hack will be delayed more. Hahaha!) Happy hacking! ^O^

P.S. It would be awesome if it can support sideview battles for un-Pokemon Hacks. :D

Old November 28th, 2015 (3:17 AM).
Pokemon Flux

Quote:
Nice one! I am a noob when it comes to stuff like this so I have to ask how this will be implemented? It doesn't sound like it with be with Software so we can check/uncheck features and it doesn't feel right for it to be in an IPS patch. But I just check the thread and you are writing it in C so am I right in assuming that you will be releasing this as a software?

As far as I'm concerned, Pokemon games are programmed with a mix between ASM, C and scripting (a friendlier way for programming), so, yes, it is going to be a "software" solution but it is implemented directly on the game engine, so you have nothing to worry hahaha
Old November 28th, 2015 (4:45 AM).
Kanto Champion

Thanks for the reply, just went and checked the thread and I have seen it says 'Easy flexibility to add and delete things' so I should have have known. Trying to learn C# right now, but if you want to learn programming on the Internet, you really do need dual monitors.
Old November 28th, 2015 (6:59 AM).
high items, random only, random stage

Nature: Timid
Wow, this is an incredible undertaking!
I would love to help in any way possible, but I don't exactly know how to program in C (or really at all for that matter), haha...
I wish y'all luck nonetheless! I look forward to the day that I can contribute to this meaningfully!
homework
bed
repeat x185 = school schedule
Old November 28th, 2015 (3:36 PM). Edited November 28th, 2015 by FBI.
Free supporter
Silver Tier

Quote:

No, you'll have to build it into your game. The same way you have to build Touched's Mega evolution solution for FireRed. It's customizable and easy because the source is in C and mainly commented/English. So you can very easily just delete features you don't want to have. Though I guess I mean when thinking about raw ASM code it's comparatively much easier.

I might include a patch as well, but I'm unsure if I want to download LIPs or something yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiteRobin View Post
Awesome! ^O^ I was just thinking of creating a new battle system that is script-based but yours is so much better! (Which will mean my hack will be delayed more. Hahaha!) Happy hacking! ^O^

P.S. It would be awesome if it can support sideview battles for un-Pokemon Hacks. :D
This is easy to incorporate I think. Currently, for double and triple battles, the Pokemon's position on the platform changes. Which means you can just make it to where to positioning is directly on the sides. You'll have to edit the C source though (which isn't that hard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAx501! View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Pokemon games are programmed with a mix between ASM, C and scripting (a friendlier way for programming), so, yes, it is going to be a "software" solution but it is implemented directly on the game engine, so you have nothing to worry hahaha
Hmm, Hackers program Pokemon games in ASM and C mostly. Scripts are just libraries which were written in C that are called and used, which isn't a programming language. This solution needs to be compiled and inserted yourself (though all you'd need to do is execute a couple of python scripts, the process is dumbed down significantly for easier development).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRose View Post
Wow, this is an incredible undertaking!
I would love to help in any way possible, but I don't exactly know how to program in C (or really at all for that matter), haha...
I wish y'all luck nonetheless! I look forward to the day that I can contribute to this meaningfully!
Thanks. You can make table files if you want to contribute & don't know how. Some knowledge of python is also neat, so you can make scripts to generated defines for me :3

---

So some updates here on my end. I finished the damage calculator mostly. Some of the names I use in the file are invalid because the associated #defines files have yet to be created. I've also written some scripts which generated #defines for moves and abilities. I'll make one for items shortly.

You can see source here if you're interested: https://github.com/EternalCode/Battle-System

EDIT: Also did the same for items, weather and types. You can add these files to you XSE if you wanted (https://github.com/EternalCode/Battle-System/tree/master/src/Defines) :D

My Stuff:
ASM tutorials
C tutorial
YT Random Hacks
GitHub

My Contributions:
Hack Chat
ASM Resource Thread
Old November 28th, 2015 (4:13 PM).
Kanto Champion

Nice to see some quick updates!
Old November 28th, 2015 (8:31 PM).

Nature: Adamant
I don't have much time to assist on this, but I do have one question.

Will the features involved be compatible with trainer editors? What I'm wondering really, is how will we call upon the newer battle styles?

This is a great project and it could change the whole field of hacking. Good luck in it and I hope you receive adequate help.
Old November 29th, 2015 (12:13 AM). Edited November 29th, 2015 by KDS.

This a great concept! Plus, it allows full control over the source. And programming in C is much more easier than doing ASM.
I would like to actively contribute to this resource, but few exams are remaining.
But I managed to get some time looking at the damagecalc code and found some bugs:
Spoiler:

* In Pure Power, Flower Gift and Hustle attack boost, the NOT (!) symbol is missing in the attack->is_special condition.
* Slow Start should only reduce attack.
* Flower Gift does not raise Attack and Sp. Def specially only for Cherrim. It raises Attack and Sp. Def for all allies and the user too in Sunlight if a Pokemon with Flower Gift is present at the user side.
* Mold Breaker is not a field ability. It only works for the user and negates the ability of the target. And it should ignore defensive boosts given by ally's Flower Gift and Friend Guard.
* Facade and Guts should ignore burn attack drop.
Old November 29th, 2015 (2:38 AM).
LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
No, you'll have to build it into your game. The same way you have to build Touched's Mega evolution solution for FireRed. It's customizable and easy because the source is in C and mainly commented/English. So you can very easily just delete features you don't want to have. Though I guess I mean when thinking about raw ASM code it's comparatively much easier.

I might include a patch as well, but I'm unsure if I want to download LIPs or something yet.

This is easy to incorporate I think. Currently, for double and triple battles, the Pokemon's position on the platform changes. Which means you can just make it to where to positioning is directly on the sides. You'll have to edit the C source though (which isn't that hard).

Hmm, Hackers program Pokemon games in ASM and C mostly. Scripts are just libraries which were written in C that are called and used, which isn't a programming language. This solution needs to be compiled and inserted yourself (though all you'd need to do is execute a couple of python scripts, the process is dumbed down significantly for easier development).

Thanks. You can make table files if you want to contribute & don't know how. Some knowledge of python is also neat, so you can make scripts to generated defines for me :3

---

So some updates here on my end. I finished the damage calculator mostly. Some of the names I use in the file are invalid because the associated #defines files have yet to be created. I've also written some scripts which generated #defines for moves and abilities. I'll make one for items shortly.

You can see source here if you're interested: https://github.com/EternalCode/Battle-System

EDIT: Also did the same for items, weather and types. You can add these files to you XSE if you wanted (https://github.com/EternalCode/Battle-System/tree/master/src/Defines) :D
Perhaps, there's a tutorial on how to install these features

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old November 29th, 2015 (7:20 AM).

Nature: Jolly
Wow, this looks awesome! Do you think it would be possible implement a capture styler option where you can catch pokemon pokemon ranger style?
Old November 29th, 2015 (7:22 AM).
Kanto Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysbber162 View Post
Wow, this looks awesome! Do you think it would be possible implement a capture styler option where you can catch pokemon pokemon ranger style?
My first thought of that was that it sounded stupid, but to be honest you could get more diverse hacks from that.
Old November 29th, 2015 (10:20 AM).
Free supporter
Silver Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Fingers View Post
I don't have much time to assist on this, but I do have one question.

Will the features involved be compatible with trainer editors? What I'm wondering really, is how will we call upon the newer battle styles?

This is a great project and it could change the whole field of hacking. Good luck in it and I hope you receive adequate help. :)
Yeah, so I'm going to be using a lot of the default tables for this stuff. I might make it read from a second seperate table to toggle certain flagging bits in the battle sequence. That way you edit your standard trainer battles via tool, and added special flags can be done with a hex editor quite easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS View Post
This a great concept! Plus, it allows full control over the source. And programming in C is much more easier than doing ASM.
I would like to actively contribute to this resource, but few exams are remaining.
But I managed to get some time looking at the damagecalc code and found some bugs:
Spoiler:

* In Pure Power, Flower Gift and Hustle attack boost, the NOT (!) symbol is missing in the attack->is_special condition.
* Slow Start should only reduce attack.
* Flower Gift does not raise Attack and Sp. Def specially only for Cherrim. It raises Attack and Sp. Def for all allies and the user too in Sunlight if a Pokemon with Flower Gift is present at the user side.
* Mold Breaker is not a field ability. It only works for the user and negates the ability of the target. And it should ignore defensive boosts given by ally's Flower Gift and Friend Guard.
* Facade and Guts should ignore burn attack drop.
Wow, thanks a lot. I really have no idea how half of these mechanics work, and I misinterpret bulbapedia a lot. Doesnt has been my go-to PokeDictionary for this sort of stuff, but obviously I try not to bother him with a lot of questions. I'll get to fixing these, and once again thanks for looking through and pointing them out :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance32497 View Post
Perhaps, there's a tutorial on how to install these features
People are free to write tutorials if they want. But as far as I'm concerned all you need to do is:
Code:
cd path
python scripts/build
python scripts/insert
Into the terminal. So it's kind of straight forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysbber162 View Post
Quote:
My first thought of that was that it sounded stupid, but to be honest you could get more diverse hacks from that.
So unfortunately, the GBA doesn't have a touch screen, and as such this style of capturing is physically impossible to implement. You could write your own emulator and make it possible to use your mouse as the stylus, but at that point it's not a GBA game and you should probably just make a new game, rather than a hack.

My Stuff:
ASM tutorials
C tutorial
YT Random Hacks
GitHub

My Contributions:
Hack Chat
ASM Resource Thread
Old November 29th, 2015 (1:18 PM).
floating... floating... gone...
ModeratorCSPokéCommunity Daily Staff

This is a great idea! And you've been working on it very quickly.
I'm no C expert but if I see something I can do I'll surely give it a try.

Also, after taking a quick peek through the damage calculator, I noticed that in get_base_attack you never actually check for the soul dew, but rather apply the bonus to all [email protected]
https://github.com/EternalCode/Battle-System/blob/master/src/damage_calculator.c#L1361 (line 1361)

mod github pair
Old November 29th, 2015 (1:43 PM).
Free supporter
Silver Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenexfeu View Post
I've checked a bit of your code. Sadly I don't program in C, though there some things I caught that might be improved :
[spoiler]

-Mega stone

Pokémons can lose/been knocked off holding a mega stone if they can't mega evolve with it.
Damage calculator doesn't handle this sort of thing. It simply just calculates damage.

Quote:
-Boost item:
case LIFE_ORB:
item_boost = 30
Here you don't allow the user/hacker to set the power of the boost in an item editor.
Maybe later, it would've been nice to know the item table had a field like that before I made this code :x

Quote:
-Base power move :

case AVALANCHE:
if (defender->last_move_target == attacker_id) {
atk_base_power = 120;
} else {
atk_base_power = 60;

Here the same principles applie. We could do:
atk_base_power = base_power*2
else
atk_base_power=base_power
This is definitely better, good catch.

Quote:
-Reckless:

It'd be better to check the move effect. If you check directly the move, we'd have to update the code everytime we add a move with recoil effect.

-What I call "table ability" : Iron fist, strong jaw... :
Perhaps we could add a flag the move structure, to make easier to have move affected or
not by those abilities.
That's a temporary solution. In one of the header files I've made some settings to use a table instead of this way, but I haven't gotten around to making the actual table so a switch statement was put for place-holding. I'm waiting for contributions for this kind of thing :D

To current date, people have offered to contribute, even asked for details, but I've yet to receive any dev. help as of yet.

My Stuff:
ASM tutorials
C tutorial
YT Random Hacks
GitHub

My Contributions:
Hack Chat
ASM Resource Thread
Old November 29th, 2015 (2:01 PM).
Free supporter
Silver Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Masquerade View Post
This is a great idea! And you've been working on it very quickly.
I'm no C expert but if I see something I can do I'll surely give it a try.

Also, after taking a quick peek through the damage calculator, I noticed that in get_base_attack you never actually check for the soul dew, but rather apply the bonus to all [email protected]
https://github.com/EternalCode/Battle-System/blob/master/src/damage_calculator.c#L1361 (line 1361)
Whoops...

My Stuff:
ASM tutorials
C tutorial
YT Random Hacks
GitHub

My Contributions:
Hack Chat
ASM Resource Thread
Old November 29th, 2015 (2:57 PM).
Pokemon Flux

Quote:
To current date, people have offered to contribute, even asked for details, but I've yet to receive any dev. help as of yet.
I'm very busy with university these weeks, but I'll try to take a deep look to your Git, I'm not a total noob on C programming, so maybe there is something I can help
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links