Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Round Table
Reload this Page Should women be allowed to go topless in public?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Round Table Have a seat at the Round Table for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Closed Thread

Old June 23rd, 2010 (07:10 PM).
Needs NO VMs...

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to altariaking
I vote yes. I won't say why, just yes.

As children we've been condition by our parents who dictate how we view and think about the world, from a young age we were lead to believe that having an image is in a certain way, that includes women dress top and bottom and that men can wear a top if he chooses but he must always wears bottoms.

Because as women we've been conditioned since a young age that its hard to break out that of mould, I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing a women topless, nor if I was a woman would want to be topless in public, possibly at home in my own backyard, public, I couldn't.
Traveling Hoenn once more.

Nature: Adamant
I think the issue is way more than "they should be moar mature". Seriously, if women actually decided to go topless for even a day, how do you suppose that'd go?
Old June 23rd, 2010 (07:12 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Sansa Stark Send a message via Skype™ to Sansa Stark
Quote originally posted by pokemonleaguechamp:
So breastfeeding them at a younger age is just fine? I'm not disagreeing with your point, but I don't see what difference it makes when many kids start off getting fed from breasts. Plus, frankly, depending on gender, they will wind up having them or seeing them at some point anyway. And it's not like they'll induce nightmares or psychological issues the way exposing them to, say, Gears of War would.
I don't recall saying anything about breast feeding.
That's obviously something different.
I'm saying, some people may not want their children exposed to that in public just because it's not ~decent~.

I'm all about embracing the human body, but I also believe that people should have some class.
Old June 23rd, 2010 (07:14 PM).

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Scarf:
I was told by a friend that in Vancouver it's legal for women to be topless.
QFT. Yup the lady I was talking about in my previous post actually played a huge part in this.

Old June 23rd, 2010 (07:15 PM).
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

Quote originally posted by Zet:
Yeah I'm pretty sure that won't increase rape, kidnappings and crap. But as much as I would like to say "Yes, equality is now stronger blah blah" I just can't knowing that it will only increase rape, kidnappings and such.
I'm just wondering how that will happen. Something like a nipple won't suddenly make a person want to kidnap a woman. As far as I know, most people who would actually commit acts like those would commit it regardless of what the person is wearing.
Old June 23rd, 2010 (07:33 PM).
Woosh

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to NOOBLMAO Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NOOBLMAO Send a message via Yahoo to NOOBLMAO
Quote originally posted by Erik Destler:
I don't recall saying anything about breast feeding.
That's obviously something different.
I'm saying, some people may not want their children exposed to that in public just because it's not ~decent~.

I'm all about embracing the human body, but I also believe that people should have some class.
Should not having "class" be illegal?
Old June 23rd, 2010 (07:35 PM).
◔_____◔
Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to beca
We should be able to, but there are too many perverts around.
I personally wouldn't use the option, though xD

HG Friend Code - 2838 0040 0210
Black Friend Code - 1120 0113 3618
X Friend Code - 0920 0825 2286

◔____◔
Old June 23rd, 2010 (07:37 PM).
My Strong Resolve
Crystal Tier

Nature: Gentle
Honestly, I don't oppose the idea of women being able to go topless, or even completely nude from the waist up in any public setting. To be perfectly honest, I feel it's a decision that is best left to the woman. If she isn't comfortable exposing that much of herself to the public eye, then why should we expect her to oppose this social norm? Of course, there are some hair-brained laws which enforce this, but I honestly think they're the real problem, not the mindset of society as a whole.

That being said, considering how revealing womens' clothes can be, it really wouldn't be a big step for anyone in society except maybe the older folks, who are just too damn set in their ways to admit that things are trending this way anyhow.

Kin Island
------- Sevii Islands -------
"The Island of Family Bonding"
Supporter City Collab 2015

Crystal Tier Supporter
+ S

Old June 23rd, 2010 (09:34 PM).
Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by FreakyLocz14:
I remember being told it is because a female's topless body is sexually attractive to men and society wants to mitigate this in public so children and such aren't offended.

Well woman can also be sexually attracted to a man's topless body so that logic seems moot to me.
Exactly. And people would freak out if the laws on that were changed now. But if it wasn't a law in the first place, it would be no different or more distracting than seeing someones face. Which I guess means that would be the same in countries where the women have to cover their face, if the walked around without a cover, people would freak out.

But I guess we live in a world where boys discover it is desirable to see a woman's breasts, when it's really not a huge deal.
Twins Vika and Masha sent out...... What the?? PC Family ./<o>\Little Sis'/<o>\Little Brother/<o>\Lil Sis'/<o>\Uncle/<o>\Long Lost Cousin/<o>\Nephew from the future/<o>\Little Sister/<o>\Queen Aunt/<o>\Reminder: 4 words per post
Old June 23rd, 2010 (10:07 PM).
One shot, one kill.

Like I care if everyone went topless. Even my dog and cat goes topless. I do have the choice to look the other way if I want to.
Old June 23rd, 2010 (10:12 PM).
Pokemon Professor / RP Mentor
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by FreakyLocz14:
I always found it strange why a man can go topless in public but a woman cannot.

I remember being told it is because a female's topless body is sexually attractive to men and society wants to mitigate this in public so children and such aren't offended.

Well woman can also be sexually attracted to a man's topless body so that logic seems moot to me.
It's not moot. It just exposes a double standard. I mean... considering guys have breasts too if anything nobody should be walking around topless according to the logic.

One could say girls find a guy's chest attractive for a different reason than a guy find's a girl's chest attractive and that's why...

But... Meh...

Quote originally posted by Throat:
Yes, also, I think everyone should have the right to go out naked.
That would be what I would call trolling real life.

Quote originally posted by Pokeyomom:
O god. Guys pants off='s exposure of male sex organs. Girls shirts off does not = exposure of female sex organs. Sure, breasts are considered reproductive organs
Fatal contradiction encountered.

Quote originally posted by pokemonleaguechamp:
So breastfeeding them at a younger age is just fine? I'm not disagreeing with your point, but I don't see what difference it makes when many kids start off getting fed from breasts. Plus, frankly, depending on gender, they will wind up having them or seeing them at some point anyway. And it's not like they'll induce nightmares or psychological issues the way exposing them to, say, Gears of War would.
Breastfeeding generally is done discretely and exposes significantly less than jogging around with nothing on your torso. Very different.

Quote originally posted by Luck:
I'm just wondering how that will happen. Something like a nipple won't suddenly make a person want to kidnap a woman. As far as I know, most people who would actually commit acts like those would commit it regardless of what the person is wearing.
The sudden exposure and change is pretty much bound to increase the risk. You can't simply trust people to act the way you want when you're handing them a motive to do the opposite. Just saying, it's not practical at all to assume everyone is not going to be influenced by sudden exposure of breasts.

Quote originally posted by NOOBLMAO:
Should not having "class" be illegal?
Yes, not having any "class" should be illegal. Less you intend to play /b/ in real life. There needs to be some minimum limits set to keep things orderly.

Quote originally posted by SIN1488:
Exactly. And people would freak out if the laws on that were changed now. But if it wasn't a law in the first place, it would be no different or more distracting than seeing someones face.
That's just the way the cookie crumbles... /shrug

P.S. I find a good pair of clothes quite attractive thank you very much topless guys
Old June 23rd, 2010 (10:24 PM).
Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P

Nature: Modest
I've always wondered though, where did the "more developed" countries suddenly get the idea that women needed to put a top on or else it's disrespectful? It couldn't have been a distraction before, so why did somone decide they needed to cover up?

I know it's been that way for a very long time in a lot of places, but if you go to some countries women will laugh when they hear women have to do that in other countries.
Twins Vika and Masha sent out...... What the?? PC Family ./<o>\Little Sis'/<o>\Little Brother/<o>\Lil Sis'/<o>\Uncle/<o>\Long Lost Cousin/<o>\Nephew from the future/<o>\Little Sister/<o>\Queen Aunt/<o>\Reminder: 4 words per post
Old June 24th, 2010 (01:26 AM).
Seriously?
Silver Tier

Why not? Oh that's right, the world assumes that everyone is a pervert, right?

WRONG

Me, for one don't really think breasts are all that glorious. Just milk and skin, yeesh. Why're y'all so attracted to them?
Old June 24th, 2010 (01:36 AM).
always chasing
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Hermione Granger
What's the thing wrong with being topless?

Its not like you won't see it in Biology class, I mean before everyone was naked and noone cares. :/

So my opinion would be yes, if it weren't for the perverts who just loves to see topless women (even in bras).
Old June 24th, 2010 (01:45 AM).
→Not someday.Today is the day.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Galukxy Send a message via Skype™ to Galukxy
In my opinion I think if a woman or someone feels comfortable walking around topless or naked then they should have the freedom to do that, but I can also add that there are a lot of sick minded people around that will probably try to harass them in anyway if they did.

DA||MAL

Old June 24th, 2010 (02:11 AM).
Banned

Why not? This is democracy after all.
Old June 24th, 2010 (02:21 AM).
"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by SIN1488:
I've always wondered though, where did the "more developed" countries suddenly get the idea that women needed to put a top on or else it's disrespectful? It couldn't have been a distraction before, so why did somone decide they needed to cover up?

I know it's been that way for a very long time in a lot of places, but if you go to some countries women will laugh when they hear women have to do that in other countries.
It's likely that one tribe/nation created laws like that for religious reasons which then spread across the world via preaching and military conquer.
That and the fact that early traders etc from the western world may have "encouraged" women from the places they arrived in to subscribe to their ideas of the social norm.
Anyway, before people covered up at all it would hardly be surprising to see people's area below the waist (for lack of a more appropriate term).

Old June 24th, 2010 (05:42 AM).
Pokemon Professor / RP Mentor
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
...I cannot believe how many yes... ...What is this I don't even...
Old June 24th, 2010 (06:02 AM).
Seriously?
Silver Tier

The only reason I think woman think they should have to cover-up(or even both genders being clothed at all!) Is because of the one thing we all know and love:

RELI-GION. Also, we probably only put clothes on in the winter, and maybe we used to wear protective skins from the elements. But yeah, you get the point.

If a person wants to go out au natural, I say go for it if there's no police fine involved.

(Actually done it once, wasn't caught)
Old June 24th, 2010 (06:25 AM).
Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Ivysaur
I'm sad to see that some people can't figure out the difference between "letting everybody have the possibility to do something" and "actively encouraging everybody to do something".

As far as I know, the topic is "Should women be allowed to be around naked without being fined?", not "Would you like all the women in your zone to go naked?".

I guess that's one of the reasons why debates fail: failure to understand the real topic.
Old June 24th, 2010 (06:29 AM).
Seriously?
Silver Tier

(Thank you Went.)

Back on topic: Sure, why not? I'm not a pervert, don't mind if they do or don't. To me, woman and men, physical, don't really seem different. So yeah, sure, go ahead.
Old June 24th, 2010 (06:34 AM).
Your huckleberry friend

Quote:
In the summer of 1996 Gwen Jacobs enjoyed a topless summer stroll during which she was seen by a local O.P.P officer, was apprehended and subsequently charged with indecent exposure. Gwen Jacobs pleaded not guilty in court and won the right to go topless in Ontario. This incident brought up an excellent question: should women be allowed to go topless on public beaches and in other public areas?

The answer is strictly no, women should not be allowed to go topless anywhere outside of their own home. One of the many reasons why I believe that women should not be allowed to go topless is with respect to the safety of women. Men and boys have, in recent years, been using short, tight, skirts and shirts as an excuse for rape or date rape. Men have said that the girl was wearing a tight shirt and short skirt and it was obvious that she was easy and wanted the attention.

This statement leads me to my next point. The average human being upon first contact with a stranger bases his initial impression of that person solely on the person's appearance. This is only natural as the only thing that we know about this stranger is what we see of them the first time we meet. We all are aware of the sayings "Preppy","Jockish","Skater","****y" etc. This final saying, "****y" is interpreted by 90 percent of North Americans as a tight skirt and tight tank top which happens to be the usual ensemble of a prostitute. This first impression of a girl in nothing but a skirt and a bare chest will no doubt elevate to the new version of a "****" and a girl that wants it.

My second point is, what kind of questions will a mother be asked by her son when he sees a half nude woman walking down the street. The first question that this child will ask is why do these women have no shirt on and you do? Your reply will be well ahhh go talk to your father. This dilemma will no doubt be brought about as these and other questions about the sexual nature of the body will be put forth by young children. Questions that you as a parent do not feel should be answered truthfully to such a young child.

My third point begins thousands of years ago when man first walked on the earth. When man first walked he hunted and his wife(clothless) cleaned the game and took care of the young. As centuries have progressed women have stepped forth into a new era of equal rights. We've seen the first women doctors, astronauts, business owners and many other firsts in numerous professions. Women have made giant leaps when it comes to respect from men in their professional field. This respect which women have been fighting for over the past century, is on the verge of collapse. Women seem to be taking this new law allowing them to go topless to an extreme. Walking their dogs, walking on the beach and strolling through public places with no tops on. This display of nudity, in the average person's eyes, whether they admit to it or not, will cause men to look down again on women. If, for example, the first woman astronaut (Sally Ride) were to start going topless in public places it would be plastered on the front page of every newspaper. This in turn would lead to her fellow colleagues looking down on her. This would be a giant step backwards in respect to equal rights for women.

Following the changes to this law allowing women to go topless our cities will slowly begin to diverge into places that encourage nudity and places that do not encourage nudity. Our economy will begin to collapse, as store owners appalled by this nudity will be forced to close their stores and move, if this nudity is surrounding them. This also applies to stores that want to have workers that want to go topless, they will be forced to relocate to places of nudity. As this begins to happen slowly our cities will become two sided and our economy's stability will collapse beneath our feet. An excellent example of this situation is taking place in Quebec. A law in Quebec states that a women may work in nothing less than lingerie. So a Quebec barber shop run by a well endowed women decided to charge an extra ten dollars per haircut and she'd remove her shirt so they could watch her cut their hair in just a bra. She also charged an extra fifteen to remove her bottoms so she had only her underwear on. This new business skyrocketed and now there is currently 15 of these hair dressers presently in Quebec. The neighborhoods surrounding these barbershops are appalled by what is going on and many people have relocated there families away from this nudity. In conclusion to the question: should women be allowed to go topless in public places? It has been clearly shown that women should not be allowed to go topless anywhere outside of their own home.
You see you are all wrong and I am right.

What light through yonder window breaks?
It is the East, and Joliet is the sun!
Old June 24th, 2010 (06:39 AM).
Seriously?
Silver Tier

Jolene, I have no idea what that thing just said, and I'm going to say this:

RIGHT AND WRONG DON'T EXIST IN OPINIONS.

I rest my case.

Back to topic:

Honestly, why is it such a big deal? Why should you, or anyone else matter if someone wants to expose their body a bit more?
Old June 24th, 2010 (06:47 AM).
Your huckleberry friend

Quote originally posted by インフェルノの津波:

Honestly, why is it such a big deal? Why should you, or anyone else matter if someone wants to expose their body a bit more?
If more women started to not wear tops in public then it would make men look down on women in general. More than they already do! An injury to one is an injury to all!

What light through yonder window breaks?
It is the East, and Joliet is the sun!
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links