Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase
Reload this Page [Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old 1 Week Ago (04:20 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by seeker.
adventure seeker
Platinum Tier

The Phoenix has Risen Again

Storyline
As an aspiring Pokémon Trainer, it has always been your dream to go to the Hawthorne University and learn all about the Pokémon world. Graduating from University is your first step in forging your own adventure.

Professor Lotus, a Professor of Pokémon Philosophy, has written you a recommendation and is willing to give you your very first Pokémon on your trip to Romanti Village, where Hawthorne University is located. Your father is set to meet you there as he is a tutor of Pokémon Battling and is eagerly awaiting your arrival.

However, trouble is looming. Strange figures have been spotted all over the region and there have been whispers of their intentions to awaken the Phoenix once more. With your journey to University ahead of you, and Nocturne Town but a speck in your eye, how will you and your Pokémon make history?

History of Hawthorne
After the War of Hawthorne, the region became destitute. The people were left elated knowing they were rid of a ruler who was riddled with greed and inconsiderate motives. But the relieved people and their Pokémon began to see how the War had ravaged their economy and destroyed what little crops they had. Hope of a renewed Hawthorne began to melt away like snow on a spring morning.

Just as Hawthorne began to fall completely into disrepute, there came a sighting of the legendary Pokémon Ho-oh. The legends said that its feathers were thought to bring joy, and that all who saw it were to be eternally happy. Ho-oh traveled across the land, gracing it with its powers; hope and happiness quickly returned to Hawthorne once more. From this moment on, the people of Hawthorne began to worship Ho-oh, not as a God, but as a bringer of good fortune and joy.

Ho-oh traveled throughout Hawthorne, and took its peace in the region where the King had once lived. This region was once a beautiful, serene paradise, which was ravaged by the onslaught of war. Upon demonstrating its glory to all the citizens of Hawthorne, Ho-oh spread its wings, and its entire body began to disperse into flakes of ash. As a phoenix, Ho-oh is believed to live for hundreds of years. Once that life has been lived, it ignites fiercely and is reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix rises, reborn anew to live again. This time, Ho-oh did not rise from the ashes.

The Phoenix Rising
A myth known as the 'Phoenix Rising' tells of Ho-oh, and a vague history of its rebirth. It is said that Ho-oh presents itself to a remarkable Pokémon trainer or great ruler if they possess a certain item: the Stone of Rebirth.

The old, elemental stones have become extremely rare in their own right. They have unlimited value in Hawthorne, so are seldom held by ordinary people. Nine are believed to be stones of evolutionary power: Fire, Water, Grass, Thunder, Sun, Bright, Dusk, Dawn and Moon. The final stone is known to be much rarer, for it has a single purpose: to raise a Pokémon from its own ashes. This is the Stone of Rebirth.

Team Chance
A menacing group of individuals known as Team Chance have been spotted in Hawthorne, asking questions about Ho-oh, and have been seeking more knowledge of The Phoenix Rising. Team Chance is led by 'King', claiming to be a descendant of the old King of Hawthorne who was overthrown many years ago. Now, the supposed heir of the monarch takes pride in being known simply as King, and wishes to take the empty throne once more. He believes that with the Stone of Rebirth he will cause Ho-oh to bear witness to him, see his greatness and show the region that he is the great ruler that they deserve.

The Council of Oracles
The Council of Oracles are the five most powerful trainers in the whole of Hawthorne. Led by the High Oracle Anastasia, they are the source of wise council in Hawthorne. The Oracles are also said to know information on the location of the Stone of Rebirth, and their ancestors first told the myth of the Phoenix Rising.

Characters

Alto

Alto is the male hero in Pokémon: Phoenix Rising. He is a determined, fighting and collected teenager. Alto grew up in Nocturne Town in the Hawthorne region with both his parents. When his father went on official business due to work, Alto became the male presence in the house and began to look after his mother. Alto and his best friend Gavin were always known to be up to mischief in the town, which led to their popularity among the inhabitants of the town. Only because the town is so quiet that somebody needs to keep it lively!

Aria
If you choose to play as Aria, she is the pretty, happy go-lucky girl from Nocturne Town. Aria grew up at home with her parents, and was particularly fond of hearing stories from her parents. She and Gavin have been friends from a young age, they both are very interested in leaving home some day, and knew that once they did they could never agree to go in the same direction! Neither could agree on one thing. But Aria and Gavin were best friends nonetheless. The townspeople always found their banter humorous.

Gavin
Gavin is the hot headed, introspective and philosophical young adult who hails from Nocturne Town. He enjoys exploring the wilderness around him and sketching ideas. Extremely fond of Pokémon, and the kind of power they possess, Gavin has always wanted to travel the World and uncover its secrets. Gavin is a good friend of your chosen hero, and simply wishes to find his way in this world.

Screenshots
Please note that these screenshots may not be final as this game is still in development

THESE HERE

TO FIX ALIGNMENT

OF LAST 3 SCREENSHOTS

Music

Title Theme

Battle! Vs Team Chance (Spade/Heart)

Battle! Vs Pokemon Trainer!

Tranquillo Town

Romanti Village

Emotion

Route One

Plenty more can be found on Youtube!

Team

seeker Project Coordinator

Jamison Randall Musician

Dasgust Musician

epicrpgremixes Musician

Full team & Credits

How can YOU help?
It has always been a dream of mine to finish Pokémon: Phoenix Rising and continue adding content thereafter. However what I love more than anything is working with enthusiastic and talented individuals who have the same drive for developing games that I do. Pokémon: Phoenix Rising remains an ambitious project, and I would love to work with other people to complete it. This would further development at a quicker pace, as well as be a wonderful opportunity for people to improve their knowledge in their relevant field, as well as be an awesome chance for me to get to know other like-minded individuals who just love Pokémon. So with that in mind, I will be looking to work with people who have a talent in these areas:

Pixel Art:
Your job will be to provide high quality sprites and tiles that can be used throughout the game. Visual fidelity is an extremely important aspect of Pokémon: Phoenix Rising so a flair for pixel art and an adaptable style is crucial.

Programmers:
As a programmer, you will be in charge of ensuring systems work efficiently, as well as adding new features to the game. This ranges from UI, to gameplay systems, to small engine related changes that will improve user experience. Knowledge of the “Pokémon Essentials Starter Kit”, RGSS and Ruby are essential.

Gameplay Developers:
Events that occur during the game between important plot points must be engaging. This is an important aspect of making a game fun to play, as well as making the story feel more meaningful. As a gameplay writer it will be your duty to help decide on how the game plays out, writing events that transpire between the plot points and deciding on how to make the progression of the storyline more engaging. A good knowledge of how gameplay and story progression work are essential. Good knowledge of RMXP and/or the “Pokémon Essentials Starter Kit” is also necessary.

Other:
If you think that you have something you can offer Pokémon: Phoenix Rising, please feel free to contact me! There are many talents out there that could certainly aid production and I’d love to hear from you if you would enjoy being on a team of developers trying their best to create a great user experience!

For any of the above roles, or queries in general you can reach me at one of the contact resources below.

Contact & Update Resources
Our new sub-reddit is where we hope to hold most of our discussion and updates. Very often we will interact with the community and get opinions on what you would like to see, and also get feedback on any new updates or announcements. Reddit will be a great place to sit down and chat about the development of the game and contribute your views, opinions, or work if you so wish to!

Here Gav will be updating most screenshots, occasional development journals, maps, and more. It’s a great place to find and contact Gav, as well as keep an eye on development!

Occasionally there will be exclusive development images and events put up on the Twitter page. You can get into contact with the team easily, and also give us feedback on any updates we add! Give us a follow if you want immediate updates when there’s any announcements.

Pokémon © The Pokémon Company | Original work - 2015 © The Phoenix Rising Team & Credits

| | |
Old 1 Week Ago (04:25 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by seeker.
adventure seeker
Platinum Tier

Author’s Note
Hi there! First off I would like to thank you for your continued support and interest in Pokémon: Phoenix Rising over the years! It is because of the amazing fans and positive feedback that this game is still in production. It’s not easy to follow an independent developer and keep up the hope that they will continue working on the project you love! You should be aware though that the game has not been in constant production over the last few years. It has been worked on sporadically over a number of weeks and months since roughly the beginning of 2013, officially. Unfortunately I have not been able to dedicate as many hours in a day as I would like to. As a student, a working professional and someone with a lot of ambition, I am kept extremely busy! Pokémon: Phoenix Rising is a game that I have a lot of love for, that I really enjoy working on. Above all, I adore working with others, be they other developers for the game, or the fans whom offer their feedback for it. Unfortunately most of the team members that have worked on the game have pursued other obligations and ventures.

And so I began this project to learn more about game development, and to work with others. I am now wiser and more pragmatic as a natural result of being further down the line of development. However, and I am now a bit wiser and more pragmatic about the potential of this project. Initially, the scale of the game I had in mind was quite vast, especially for someone who doesn’t have as much time as they would like to commit to it. So I needed to make a decision. I could leave the project, and allow it to be a broken promise and an unfinished piece of work that would leave a hole in my heart; or instead I could repurpose it slightly, make the project a little more manageable and smaller.

Today, I’m happy to announce that I decided that the project has a new lease of life. The scale has been reduced, and the story has been slightly altered to reflect that but this means I am now in a better position to be honest with the fans and say how far we are from release, I can finally see the game coming to fruition in the future. The project is effectively taking a number of steps back so that it can take larger, more frequent steps forward. Asset creation (tiles, music, sprites, scripts, GUI, etc.) was the largest and most challenging aspect of making this game. Pokémon: Phoenix Rising grounded to a halt on multiple occasions simply due to my lack of organisation, and understanding of how I could create so many assets alone. Instead of having a mountain of asset creation with little time to work on them, I now have almost all of the assets needed to create the game in entirety.

In this article, you will see the storyline, which is slightly altered from the original, and there will be resources where you can learn more about the lore, history, and characters of the game also. Not only that, but there will be links to where you can follow development of the game, leave your suggestions and comments, and more!

I want to thank all of the fans, new and old, for following development. I want to deeply express my gratitude for your support, but also my regret that I could not give you all I promised sooner. While Pokémon: Phoenix Rising is undergoing these changes I hope that you can stick with me and see the project through to release! It is unfortunate that it will not initially be the game I planned, but I hope that the slight alterations will please you still. While it may be like starting over in some aspects, the project now has a future where it may never have had one before.

What is important is that the Phoenix has Risen again.

Yours,
Gav

The Storyline
As an aspiring Pokémon Trainer, it has always been your dream to go to the Hawthorne University and learn all about the Pokémon world. Graduating from University is your first step in forging your own adventure.

Professor Lotus, a Professor of Pokémon Philosophy, has written you a recommendation and is willing to give you your very first Pokémon on your trip to Romanti Village, where Hawthorne University is located. Your father is set to meet you there as he is a tutor of Pokémon Battling and is eagerly awaiting your arrival.

However, trouble is looming. Strange figures have been spotted all over the region and there have been whispers of their intentions to awaken the Phoenix once more. With your journey to University ahead of you, and Nocturne Town but a speck in your eye, how will you and your Pokémon make history?

What’s changing?
Initially Pokémon: Phoenix Rising had the same formula as traditional Pokémon games. Collect badges, become Champion, and see where your adventure takes you. Now, the story has taken a slightly different turn. The classic formula that you’ve seen many times before has been scrapped. You can still raise your Pokémon, battle fierce trainers, and set out on your own adventure. However, the story will now be more focused on the Phoenix Rising and Team Chance. It will no longer be your objective to become Champion. Your first step is to graduate from University, but what is most important is the adventure you will find yourself on afterwards. Team Chance believe that with the Stone of Rebirth they will cause Ho-oh to bear witness to their leader, see his greatness and show the region that he is the great ruler that they deserve. It is up to you to stop their drastic methods….

How YOU can help
It has always been a dream of mine to finish Pokémon: Phoenix Rising and continue adding content thereafter. However what I love more than anything is working with enthusiastic and talented individuals who have the same drive for developing games that I do. Pokémon: Phoenix Rising remains an ambitious project, and I would love to work with other people to complete it. This would further development at a quicker pace, as well as be a wonderful opportunity for people to improve their knowledge in their relevant field, as well as be an awesome chance for me to get to know other like-minded individuals who just love Pokémon. So with that in mind, I will be looking to work with people who have a talent in these areas:

Pixel Artist

Your job will be to provide high quality sprites and tiles that can be used throughout the game. Visual fidelity is an extremely important aspect of Pokémon: Phoenix Rising so a flair for pixel art and an adaptable style is crucial.

Programmer

As a programmer, you will be in charge of ensuring systems work efficiently, as well as adding new features to the game. This ranges from UI, to gameplay systems, to small engine related changes that will improve user experience. Knowledge of the “Pokémon Essentials Starter Kit”, RGSS and Ruby are essential.

Gameplay Developer

Events that occur during the game between important plot points must be engaging. This is an important aspect of making a game fun to play, as well as making the story feel more meaningful. As a gameplay writer it will be your duty to help decide on how the game plays out, writing events that transpire between the plot points and deciding on how to make the progression of the storyline more engaging. A good knowledge of how gameplay and story progression work are essential. Good knowledge of RMXP and/or the “Pokémon Essentials Starter Kit” is also necessary.

Other

If you think that you have something you can offer Pokémon: Phoenix Rising, please feel free to contact me! There are many talents out there that could certainly aid production and I’d love to hear from you if you would enjoy being on a team of developers trying their best to create a great user experience!

For any of the above roles, or queries in general you can reach me at one of the contact resources below.

Contact & Update Resources

Our new sub-reddit is where we hope to hold most of our discussion and updates. Very often we will interact with the community and get opinions on what you would like to see, and also get feedback on any new updates or announcements. Reddit will be a great place to sit down and chat about the development of the game and contribute your views, opinions, or work if you so wish to!

Here Gav will be updating most screenshots, occasional development journals, maps, and more. It’s a great place to find and contact Gav, as well as keep an eye on development!

Occasionally there will be exclusive development images and events put up on the Twitter page. You can get into contact with the team easily, and also give us feedback on any updates we add! Give us a follow if you want immediate updates when there’s any announcements.

| | |
Old 1 Week Ago (07:36 PM).

This is incredible , glad to see this back up & running, beyond excited to play. The game looks phenomenal.
Old 1 Week Ago (10:06 PM).

It's good to see that you are giving this another go. The screenshots from this game are among the most impressive of any fangame for me and the music is without a doubt a favorite of mine. In fact I frequently listen to it when I am working on my own fan game. I hope we can get some playable content in time. No rush, of course.
Old 1 Week Ago (06:51 AM).

wow, very nice, looks like this game will be very good

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-_boSAMI8Tsrn6xpFuoSGQ Be sure to check out my youtube channel where i do Pokemon lets plays and Nuzlockes as well as other content
Old 1 Week Ago (12:00 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
So glad to see this project back!!!
Name:B-Man
Pokemon Stratus Dreams:In development
Old 1 Week Ago (12:23 PM).
ModeratorBSCS

Nature: Serious
aaaaaaaa i thought you'd abandoned this forever. good luck!!

ruvidonia town theme is my fav
Old 1 Week Ago (12:49 PM).
stay positive!
ModeratorCS

^same, but it's wonderful that you decided to come back to it! it's such an aesthetically beautiful game, i can't wait to play it.
Old 1 Week Ago (01:24 PM).
Titania
Gold Tier

Nature: Bashful
Wow, I am so excited to see this coming back!
This is honestly one of the best looking games out there, and I'm really looking forward to it's release!

I'm not much of an RMXP-er, but if you're ever looking for people to help test the game, I would love to be one of them!
Old 1 Week Ago (01:33 PM).
Its getting serious up in here...
Gold Tier

Nature: Brave
I never lost faith nor will i its looked good since day 1 and looks even better now!
Cant wait for a demo this game is seriously the best one ive seen

“ Let's stay on this miserable planet, together! ” ~Lapis Lazuli
Play!|Road to The Pokemon League|Dark Type Club|Stevenbomb|Play!
Mentor|Trade Shop|Trade Reviews|Pair

LF: Shiny 4-6iv Pidgey VM me if interested!
Old 1 Week Ago (06:00 AM).

Send a message via Skype™ to KleinStudio
This is one of the best fan games I've ever seen ever, I'm so happy to see that you're still working in the project. I can't wait to see new updates.
ps. Congrats to the music composers because the ost is amazing!
Old 1 Week Ago (07:33 AM).
Helix Follower

That OST is amazing. I can imagine epic battles against that Team Chance. Great work.
Old 1 Week Ago (09:22 AM).
MasterBall Abuser

Such a beautiful looking game my eyes are very pleased.

Old 1 Week Ago (07:51 PM).
adventure seeker
Platinum Tier

Thank you for all your kind comments so far guys! Today I just want to share a quick article with you regarding "Fakemon". It's a post I made over on our Reddit page regarding our choice not to use fan created Pokémon in Pokémon: Phoenix Rising. Hope you find it to be an interesting read. As always, have a great day!

--------

There is a question that gets posed to our team quite a lot. Or should I say questions. "Will there be any fakemon?" and "Why isn't there any fakemon?" being the two questions I hope to approach in this post.

I want to premise this by saying that I adore some Fakemon designs. An ex girlfriend of mine took to calling them "Fauxkémon", which sounds great when you hear it in person but doesn't quite translate to screen as well as "Fakemon" does. While that's an interesting tidbit of information you didn't particularly need, I want to press a point on the actual name people give this sub-genre of artwork. I never thought of these as "fake" in any way. Coming up with an original design of any sort is quite the opposite. Evidently some people create designs that don't stray too far from the official ones we see in the Pokémon franchise, however some designs are downright striking. I see these as fan art, inspired by the series and certainly not to be called fake in my mind. Fanmon might have been a better term (and in this article, that is what I shall call them from here on out), if you were to ask me, since just because something isn't part of the official series does not mean it should garner the prefix of "fake". It's a pet peeve, and I know most people take little notice of the term but I almost feel that in my heart of hearts; people deserve a better name for their pride in the series and the designs they create based on it.

With that slight rant aside, I want to get into the meat of things. My love for Fanmon didn't translate to Pokémon: Phoenix Rising and this disappointed a number of fans who follow the game. I've replied in staggered locations to queries as to why I didn't include them in the game. The primary reason is that I never took an interest in drawing Fanmon. While I would love to work on a game that includes fantastic Fanmon designs, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable creating new Pokémon.

For Pokémon: Phoenix Rising, I lead the project. I no longer really consider it "my project", because I honestly can't call it that. So many people have helped me bring it to where it is today that it's become more of a community effort than anything. I want anyone who has worked on it diligently to feel as if they own part of it. And when we see players react to the parts we created we can each get a kick out of it. We're all collaborating to create something awesome, and while we all have different roles it will be our project in the end. A game that we created together, and not a game we created for me. Those who play it will see that this was a team effort, and that's the impression I want them to get. With all that said, I want to have the ability to carry the bulk of the project on my own if I need to. If I were to add Fanmon I would have very little motivation to actually create and add those on my own. Scripting, Mapping, Writing, Spriting, and so on, I'll turn my hand to and will happily do so. Creating Pokémon of my own is just a spectrum I'm not sure I will ever have the desire to enter.

With all of that in mind, there's over 700 Pokémon to choose from as it is. Each time I play the official games, I fall in love with a new one and that's a special thing. I want Pokémon: Phoenix Rising to give that experience to the players. I want them to fall in love with the new Pokémon, the classics, the odd, the powerful. I want to weave stories with these amazing creations that have never been told before and give players an alternative view of a Pokémon that they have never seen before.

Pokémon: Phoenix Rising won't have fan created Pokémon. However we hope that we can give you a fresh experience even so. If you find a new favourite because you got it on Route 1 and played the whole way through the game, or play through a side-quest and think completely different about a Pokémon involved, then I think we've succeeded more than we ever could if we had "Fakemon"

| | |

| | |
Old 1 Week Ago (10:30 PM).
MasterBall Abuser

Darnit i was hoping for a few at least for some pokemon that dont evolve like a tropius pre evolution or at the very least mega evolutions for these poor pokemon that are seldom used because they dont evolve

Old 1 Week Ago (10:35 PM).
Grilled Steak

Nature: Adamant
I haven't played it yet, but you seem to have some very, very interesting ideas in terms of area designs. A lot of these areas look gorgeous, and I'm sure they hold many secrets to explore and discover. I'll definitely be giving this a play.
Old 1 Week Ago (07:59 PM).
@atomicreactor
Crystal Tier

Nature: Rash
Every once in a while, when I'm browsing DA, I'll come across a few PR screenshots and think "man, too bad that's not active anymore." So I'm actually glad to see that this is back again. I've always thought this project had a great artistic style. I know you probably don't believe this, but I do genuinely want to see this succeed, and I really hope you stick to it this time. Hope to see more from this Gavin!
Old 1 Week Ago (08:17 PM).
love below
Gold Tier

Nature: Adamant
this looks pretty cool but it would be a much better idea to compile the ost into a youtube playlist rather than a lmgtfy

paired to kaori & vrai
Old 5 Days Ago (07:51 AM).
Awesome as always...

Nature: Naughty
Sweeeet! It's back! I thought this was abandoned a long time ago. I wish I could help :p Too bad I suck at RUBY
Anyhow, if you need testers, I'm open. :p. Best of luck @seeker! Hope it will be finish this time. And oh, the graphics are AWESOME

Chimcharz iz better than Mudkeepz
Pair 1 // Pair 2 // Showdown // PHO // Twitter
Text Hex Convert v2.1.1
Old 5 Days Ago (08:11 AM).

Wow, that artwork... looks fun! Can't wait for this to go public!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links