The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 27th, 2011 (05:31 PM).
pokemonforever27
IS RIDING LUGIA...

Nature: Calm
I just uploaded a patch to fix the building problem in OLIVINE CITY. Everyone should now be able to get out of the buildings once you enter them, allowing you to get the RUNNING SHOES. Let me know if anything else comes up and thanks for playing.

GAMES:

"We tend to move towards and act like that which we picture in our minds" (Henry David Thoreau)
Old January 28th, 2011 (11:03 AM).
DNZGames
Team Atmos Leader

Nature: Serious
looks brilliant. definately a promising game, im going to keep an eye out on this one :D

Old January 30th, 2011 (01:25 PM).
pokemonforever27
IS RIDING LUGIA...

I have updated the patch file to include a fix for not being able to get past KURT in AZAELA TOWN. Sorry for the problems. If you saved after beating BUGSY, you'll probably have to start a new game. Best of luck.

GAMES:

"We tend to move towards and act like that which we picture in our minds" (Henry David Thoreau)
Old February 4th, 2011 (11:03 AM).
WackyTurtle
Developer

Nature: Relaxed
There are some nice maps there, although I'm sure that they'll look better when there isn't a mix of FRLG and GSC tiles.
Old February 18th, 2011 (07:19 AM). Edited February 18th, 2011 by DForte.
DForte
Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
this is just a bug i found and kind of surprised no one else reported. when i went into the burned tower and faced the first team rocket member, the font was really small (maybe size 2). it happened after i defeated his zubat.

also, why are the running and walking sprites different?
Old February 26th, 2011 (08:15 PM).
pokemonforever27
IS RIDING LUGIA...

Sorry it's taken so long to update. School is keeping me busy! I'm almost done with the game, a month later than I had hoped. I'll be posting four new screenshots tomorrow evening, and filling out the thread a bit more. The plan is to finish the game by Tuesday of this week.

GAMES:

Old February 27th, 2011 (07:17 AM).
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

Finish? Wow, nice one sticking it all the way out!
Hopefully that'll inspire other Game Developers to continue, and finish their games!

Great job on everything, looks pretty polished from the first post :D
Old February 28th, 2011 (02:35 PM).
firebolt12
pokemon Master

Nature: Brave
interesting and cool idea! You should make it go to Gen v!
Old March 1st, 2011 (12:37 AM).
Lopnis

That's awesome, This game looks great if your almost done you should try to get the thread moved to The Showcase.
Old March 11th, 2011 (07:41 PM). Edited March 11th, 2011 by pokemonforever27.
pokemonforever27
IS RIDING LUGIA...

The game is almost finished! I just have a few more things to clean up and then it will be on to testing! Testing will take about a month or so, so I'm looking at a release time at the end of April. If it wasn't for school it would be sooner. Sorry!

GAMES:

Old March 27th, 2011 (03:16 PM).
lx_theo
Game Developer

Nature: Careful
A finished game? Wow, that is a rare site. Knowing how things go you'll have to abandon it before you can release it,lol. Well I hope not. Good luck on the final steps.

Old April 10th, 2011 (08:30 AM).
pokemonforever27
IS RIDING LUGIA...

The full version of the game is out, folks! Check the first post for download link and details. So far, there are no game crashing bugs, but as with any fan made game, save often, and don't hesitate to let me know about anything you find!

GAMES:

Old April 10th, 2011 (08:33 AM).
lx_theo
Game Developer

Downloading now. Good job at actually finishing.

Old April 10th, 2011 (08:41 AM).
pkmntrainerpaul
New account: P-Sign

A finished game?
Ok, I'm definitely downloading this one, if only for the fact it is actually finished :p
Old April 10th, 2011 (11:15 AM).
NikNaks

Nature: Jolly
Hm. The map layout early on is very confusing. I didn't understand why walking upwards at the dock warped me back somewhere, or why a ladder into the ocean was actually a door. My Espeon was *horribly* underpowered in my first trainer battle (only level 7) and facing a 15 was totally unexpected. I blacked out and ended up on Mandarin North surrounded by Rockets without any way of getting off. I could also talk about how the intro trainer is Brendan when you're playing as Ash, but I could be here a long time.

I commend your efforts in getting a game completely mapped and evented, but I'm not finding it enjoyable to play, it's confusing and, unfortunately, poorly presented. Sorry. Time needs to be spent going back through the game to make it coherent and error-free before I stand any chance of getting to the end. Again, it's clear a lot of time has gone into this, and it's an excellent endeavour, but refinement is needed.

</$0.02>
Old April 10th, 2011 (11:27 AM).
Dave_
Beginning Trainer

Downloading now, Decided to hold off on the demo until it was a finished version was released, Been highly anticipating this!

Old April 11th, 2011 (03:15 AM). Edited April 11th, 2011 by Dave_.
Dave_
Beginning Trainer

Edit:

Only got as far as Ecruteak so far, I was expecting to jump into the Orange League first, win that then move on to the other regions but I suppose with the focus of the game being Orange islands I suppose it would be better to come back to it and for it to be a challenge once you've done whatever else
Only a few thigns I've noticed as problems,
The dock that leads to the harbour part I can't help feel would be better if it was all opn one map
The ladder in the sea
The Prof Ivy OW sprite doesn't fit with the rest of the OW sprites
Either do some of the trainer sprites, They seem otu of place with the style
The door for the dance studio was outside..? But it seemed to sort itself once i'd gone in and out
SOme of the battles had me battling a trainer then going back to the poke centre and repeating for each trainer which is a bit inconvenient

Edit:

The mart on the first orange island crashed my game..o.o some kind of error, Didn't take a note of what though..

But enjoying the game so far will let you know if I spot anything else (=

Edit:

On Mikan Island, Espeon is only jsut powerful enough to defeat the first pokemon and is far too weak to defeat the second no matter what strategy I use..
THen I have 3 level 10 pokemon that I jsut caught and a level 17 lapras, Needless to say I can not defeat her at present
The problem being that there is nowhere to even grind on this island and there is no way to leave the island until you beat Cissy I presume so If it wasn't for the fact that I can jsut beat the Kingdra thus gaining xp for espeon to level up I would be screwed
You need to be able to go somewhere to train and then come back when you're strong enough, I mean if I was a coupl elevels lower with the espeon I would be completely stuck on this island

Edit:

No wait! I have 4 tiles of sea to surf in and grind against some Tentacool =D
Never been so happy to find tentacools
Also Pm'd

Edit:

Mandarin Island North, The mandarin island shipping building, The gargoyle type thing on top of the building is only half complete
It's also not very clear what I am supposed to be doing on this island, Defeated the weather institute rockets and received castform and now there doesn't seem to be anything else to do, As well as the boat guy saying he needs supplies so I can't get off of the island either..

Edit:

Stumbled across the solution, That definately needs to be made more clear

Another Dave_ Edit:

*Feature Spoiler*
Spoiler:
The addition of Crystal Onix was great! The sprites a bit blue though ..

I really liked the legendary warning completely avoids confusion etc
Still a problem with being underleveled before Gym Leaders though, Again 4 tiles of sea to grind. With such a big cave there definately needs to be some pokemon
1. TO train your party
2. TO add some variety to the pokemon you use at present I think I have about 12

Edit:

Shamouti Island, after doing all the obvious festival stuff, speaking to people etc It is not clear where I am supposed to go in the slightest
Been wondering around aimlessly to no avail for quite some time
I did like the inclusion of your hosue though :3
The problem might be that it's midnight here so therefore in-game it's dark so I can't find things such as cave entrances ... :facepalm:

Old April 11th, 2011 (12:49 PM).
lx_theo
Game Developer

Its... underwhelming. I do commend the effort to finish it, but its not what i'd hoped.

Old April 11th, 2011 (01:27 PM).
Dave_
Beginning Trainer

The cinnabar glitch alone makes this game amazing D=
Just expereinced A fierce Wild Prof Oak!
Life=Made!

Old April 11th, 2011 (06:34 PM).
pokemonforever27
IS RIDING LUGIA...

I just uploaded the patch. See the first post for the download link and further instructions. Keep the bugs and suggestions rolling and happy playing!

The patch fixes the following problems/suggestions:
- Added "LEVELING UP" section to README.PDF
- Fixed TANGELO ISLAND POKeMART
- Made TANGELO ISLAND and TANGELO HARBOR one continuous map
- Changed the "sea ladder" to be a building, such as in FIRERED
- Changed the appearence rate of POKeMON in caves (from 1 to 7)
- Fixed the gargoyle on top of the MANDARIN ISLAND SHIPPING CO. building

GAMES:

Old April 12th, 2011 (04:12 AM). Edited April 12th, 2011 by Dave_.
Dave_
Beginning Trainer

Sick!
Got Exp. Share, Went to the Whirl Islands, And got it knocked off in a battle :Facepalm:
On the plus side the fixes all look good Just the odd sprite that looks a bit dodgy and Lugia is waaaay too powerful.. No wait it evened out in later levels (=
I like the other Lugia features though

Final Thoughts:
*Game Summary including Spoilers*
Spoiler:

Pallet Town

So you start off in Pallet town, The game is about the Orange Islands so after speaking to Prof. Oak you head south and start your journey along side your faithful sidekick BoatMan!

I didn't like that pallet town was closed off, The same routes should have been accessible however when you try and leave Palet Town to the North someone stops you and says you've already achieved everything in this region so it stops you aswell as keeping the authenticity of using a known town

Johto

The inclusion of Johto at the beginning was good running through recognisable towns etc but there wasn't enough to do, Be it added trainer battles or little side quests that gets you helpful items like Mystic Water or other Type boosting items just to aid you a bit later and to make the short stint you do in Johto a little bit longer so it seems less like a forced add-on

Boundaries

I found the boundaries for the water a bit short, Even if your plan was to use the boatman throughout the entire game you could of extended the boundaries in the sea so it looks more fluid when standing on the shore line

HMs

The inclusion of a surfing Lapras was great I think to carry on that theme because the need for fly was quite high, A flying pokemon should have been given to you much the same way Lapras was with Fly already registered

The only other HM I remember was Strength and it was too easy to obtain, The first time you need it it's right there, Even if it was just like obtaining the running shoes where you walk in to the first building on the island to get it would have made it a bit better

The Crystal Onix

The crystal Onix was definately a good feature but I found it a bit too blue and it's stats were horrible!
A pretty good defense but because of the clashing types it had soo many weaknesses to actually use it was pointless especially with such low attacking stats, and because Crystal is a mineral I don't think the dual type was even neccesary just for it to be able to learn water types moves would have made it much better

Tilesets

I liked the use of the GSC tiles in Johto because Johto was always supposed to be Inferior technologically to pallet however it does sometimes look slightly out of place but short of a custom tileset not much of a way to fix, Having said that it's not that big a problem

Story

Some of the beginning story left it unclear as to what to do and where to go although not impossible, Running around and talking to everyone did eventually get to the solution Could only suggest having someone standing in the pokecentre who when you speak to suggests what to do next like, 'Have you seen this..' or 'Done that..?'
Just to give a bit more of an indication as to what to do, Then again it was better in the sense you really had to figure it out for yourself which I feel is lacking from a lot of Other games and leaves the player normally rushing through the game

Trainer Tower

The Trainer Tower was a good feature because I personally like to have a couple of the starters but I ended up training Charmander and Squirtle up to about level 40, The final giovanni battle being too difficult so going back to catch a level 80 one with Lugia since it wa able to pulverise opponents double it's level and because I oculd give it any move I could jsut put them to sleep to catch with a pokeball
WOuld be better if you couldn't enter a Level 80 room unless you had a pokemon of that level or higher in your party

I think the low levels using starters would be good as it gives the player a chance to use them
but after that having the 'Common' pokemon, Zubat/Pidgey/Rattata etc, from past games at higher levels purely for training purposes, That or implementing a 'Battle Tower' sort of feature but it's pretty weak in terms of training methods

Also because you couldn't leave an island after you were on it unless you had fly or beat everything you needed to It left me at the beginning being stuck on islands because the gym leaders were too tough and not having any training oppurtunities, I had fly but I intended on teaching it to Charizard once it was available because normally it is jsut an ability that makes travelling easier than a tool neccessary to aid through gameplay

Voice-Overs/Music

The addition of the Voice overs I really liked maybe a nice change from the normal 8-bit music
The sinister music on the island where the festival is, the name escapes me at present, coupled with the stormy weather made ofr a very intense portion of the game which i enjoyed

I think because of the voice overs used from 'The Power of One' the player should have been Ash but definately the OW player sprite should have matched the Backsprite/Player selection at the very least

I normally have iTunes or Radio 1 on when I am on the computer so games tend to be muted but I found myself wanting to listen on the festival island and listenening to the voice overs which was good but the battle music was slightly annoying so i ended up muting again ..

Pre-Championship

The Pre Champion Travels seemed rushed to say the least, Go here, find stuff, Battle legend, go to the next place and repeat 20 times ..

Don't get me wrong it was great to be able to find all these TMs etc that I have no doubt will help when it comes to the battle but it jsut seemed like you wanted to include the Legends and making them Mandatory in the story I wasn't too fond of for example the official games they are available but you have to find them but you don't need them to beat the quest part of the game, which i think is a better system
A few would of been ok like The legendary dogs or something Because iirc they were random encounters in past games so it would be easier jsut to go place to place to receive them but possibly after you've beaten the champion

The Legendary Birds it shows they live in the islands surrounding Shamouti so they should have been capturable there, Obviously being too high a level to beat at that point in the game you know you can come back later to get them with possibly a reminder by Lugia that balance is restored and that you should visit the islands again

As for the rest I think they should of been implemented similiar to past games but that would bring up the problem of not being enough regions for later legends so I can't really suggest an alternative..

Warning Message

The Legends warning message started to get a bit annoying aswell with the frequency it was used. It was fine the first time, But being that they are implemented as trainers I think it implys that you msut defeat them, Presuming if you actually used a pokeball you wouldnt be able to catch it jsut like you can't catch other trainers pokemon

I did like that you had to defeat the Legends in order to get them though
I didn't like the the little Chat Lugia and Ho-Oh had, it was jsut strange.. lol

Lugia

I don't know if you edited Lugia's first move, AeroBlast?, or not because I had not seen it before this game but it is waaaay too powerful, Destroying pretty much everything that comes against it with just one move that has 255pp

Aswell as the unlimited movelist, I think it's a great way around HMs though, so perhaps have it set to be able to change it's moves but only have the HMs available

The Heal feature is definately useful though aswell as the Repel feature which helped for all of the deserted islands because you were only really on them to catch legendaries and find TMs

Pokemonforever27

The inclusion of yourself as the pokemon master is the difference between a good game and a great game, It would of been better if you had incorporated an old rival or if it had been an on running new rival or even if you had created a time paradox and had you battling your future self through the help of the captured celebi, Incorporating such dialogue as after your orange island adventure you realised you had the world's legendary pokemon at yoru fingertips and the power was too much to contain so you took over the world and become the emperor of the New World Order, Sitting on your throne one day pondering over who you could battle out of sheer boredom as no other trainer even comes close to the power you hold you are reminded of the Golden GS Ball sitting in your TrophyCase and hatch a plan to go back in time to defeat the only trainer worthy, Your past self the trainer with all the passion and the power you used to have, In your crazed state you choose to go back in time with the power of celebi and defeat yourself!

It would at least explain why their is more than one of the legendary pokemon being that there is supposed to be only 1 in existence for most of the legends

Needless to say having them in the first place is annoying as they now hold no superior status, and furthermore having them at Level 100 is annoying, Especially considering the, I suppose, 'Boss Battle' pokemon increasing in an unorganic fashion of levels, They increase by 10-20 levels between battles whereas your pokemon are always left trailing behind unless you spend a heap of time in the trainer tower which isn'y an enjoyable part of any game yet it appears to form a prominent role in this one

The inclusion of Nibelung Valesti was also of high annoyance, After googling it I discovered it was a Valkyrie spell, Pretty pointless to say the least in adding it but what caused the annoyance was upon Lugia's release from the poke ball it was able to use that move and have the 'Must Recharge' message scroll along the bottom, In essence given the opposition 2 free turns

Rating

Overall I think it's a Really good, short, game. 6/10
Removing yourself from the game would put it up to a 7/10
Delivery of the other suggestions would have me rating this game even higher

The mapping is good although a bit repetitive at points
The story is strong although in parts becomes slightly drawn out
The features included are well implemented on the most part

Some screenshots:
Spoiler:

That pretty much concludes my un-requested review of your game, Hope it helped in some way or form
Attached Thumbnails
Complete.png‎   final.png‎   HallofFame.png‎  

Old April 19th, 2011 (04:12 PM).
pokemonforever27
IS RIDING LUGIA...

The demo has been removed. I fixed the game download link so that you don't have to download both the game and the patch. Feel free to post or PM with questions, criticism, or suggestions.

Thanks for playing!

GAMES:

Old April 22nd, 2011 (02:00 PM). Edited April 22nd, 2011 by invix345.
invix345
Beginning Trainer

how do you get past the two team rocket grunts blocking the way after the eevee girls in eureka city

Old April 22nd, 2011 (04:05 PM).
Coronation
Psychic Gym Leader

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Coronation
An Espeon starter? I can already tell this game is gonna be epic
Old April 23rd, 2011 (06:48 AM).
pokemonforever27
IS RIDING LUGIA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by invix345 View Post
how do you get past the two team rocket grunts blocking the way after the eevee girls in eureka city.
It's a series of events. The ROCKET in front of the TIN TOWER entrance will be gone. After beating the guy in there, go to the BURNED TOWER and complete it. You'll then be able to get past the two grunts.

Thanks for playing.

GAMES:

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links