Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback & Support
Reload this Page FAQ: General Brainstorming Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Community Feedback & Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Closed Thread

Old July 14th, 2010 (11:19 AM). Edited July 14th, 2010 by flight.
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum TierCS

Nature: Quiet

Introduction

Hey guys! Twilight Sky here. I've been looking at what kinda threads have been popping up in CQ&F and don't most of you think that well...some of those threads are a bit unnecessary? Well, I've taken the initiative to try to help to decrease the amount of those threads occurring by making this thread. I've been discussing this with Erica and Jess, and this is pretty much what I've come to.

The purpose of this topic

So most of you probably might be thinking, "well TS, what are we particularly going to discuss in this thread?" Well, I already have that answered for you! You guys basically discuss amongst each other about the different kinds of suggestions and rules that should go into place in the FAQ. Hopefully with these new implementations, that'll cut down the amount of questions that should be asked in CQ&F. For example, a lot of you have questions that may pertain to PC having an additional (sub)forum for a topic of your liking. However, have you considered the amount of discussion necessary in order to warrant a forum? Hopefully, that would posted in the FAQ as well as the whole name changes ordeal and the "who's viewing thread" thing, because these are amongst many concerns that rise in this forum.

Rules

• A thread like this, of course, has it's own rules. Remember that you must stay on the topic of discussing what can be added to PC's FAQ(or discussion about the FAQ in itself, what rules can be altered, things like that). Do not stray offtopic or posts will be deleted by the staff(at their discretion)
  • Remember to be creative and helpful. You guys know that this community really cannot survive without us, and so we need to contribute as much as we can to try to make PC a more fun and awesome place to be, right?
  • Rules are of course, subject to be edited by the staff at any time at their discretion.

And that's all I can think of at the moment. Don't be shy and start posting your ideas!

Insert title here

...I know I had a title for this but I forgot since I went to a separate page and now I don't remember anymore. ._.

But anyway!

I've also decided to include this nifty space for the h-staff members whenever they feel that they have a potential good idea on their hands. Instead of looking through this thread, which is probably bound to become big, why not look at the first post instead? It'd be a lot easier so...yeah! :D

Old July 14th, 2010 (12:13 PM). Edited July 14th, 2010 by Avey.
The Mad Hatter

Is there a way we can implement a 'how to make people stop reiterating answers that have already been given in CQ+F in the FAQ'? I know some people just want to help and add something additional, and other people have been beaten by other posters to get their posts in first, but just posting something someone said for a +1 on your post count is just irritating.

I've noticed it doesn't go on as much as it used to here, but still something I'm weary of.
'It's been a prevalent notion. Fallen sparks. Fragments of vessels broken at the Creation. And someday, somehow, before the end, a gathering back to home. A messenger from the Kingdom, arriving at the last moment. But I tell you there is no such message, no such home -- only the millions of last moments . . . nothing more. Our history is an aggregate of last moments.'
Old July 14th, 2010 (01:30 PM).
the blossom pokémon
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
This is approved, before anyone jumps the gun on closing or reporting it. :B
Old July 14th, 2010 (02:50 PM).
My Strong Resolve
Crystal Tier

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by Rekky:
Is there a way we can implement a 'how to make people stop reiterating answers that have already been given in CQ+F in the FAQ'? I know some people just want to help and add something additional, and other people have been beaten by other posters to get their posts in first, but just posting something someone said for a +1 on your post count is just irritating.

I've noticed it doesn't go on as much as it used to here, but still something I'm weary of.
...Let's avoid rules like this. It'd be ok if it appears as a guideline, but you MUST understand that not everybody is just spitting out the same answer, the post itself may extend upon the concept itself, and offer explanation as to WHY things are the way that they are, offer further speculation on possible staff reactions to suggestions and more. These "redundant" posts are not always spam. Considering them as such is somewhat ill informed.

Quote originally posted by Lightning:
This is approved, before anyone jumps the gun on closing or reporting it. :B
Awesome. :D (Sometimes you h-staff members can tend to shoot something good down because you're in a bad mood or don't quite fully understand the issue at hand because you didn't discuss it completely because you felt it somehow seemed like everyone would disagree. That always did drive me nuts...no matter how much you claim you know each other, but I know there has to be power and flexibility offered as staff perks to keep things in order)

That being said, I think we should go back through all the threads in say....the past 4 months... and see what questions we see the most, then address them in the FAQ.
Old July 15th, 2010 (08:24 AM).
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum TierCS

Quote originally posted by Rekky:

I believe those posts are deleted anyhow, it has been advised for posters to try not to parrot each other's answers.

@Pachy: Nah. Past 4 months? Why do that when we've probably seen similar questions as of recent?

Old July 15th, 2010 (08:30 AM). Edited July 15th, 2010 by Forever.
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Pachy:
That being said, I think we should go back through all the threads in say....the past 4 months... and see what questions we see the most, then address them in the FAQ.
I swear there have been like 5 different threads on the stalker box and title tags in just this month alone. Those are the most common ones I see myself, anyway.

edit: I don't feel like posting again, but I was thinking more along the "community" type thread lines, though I know they are issues, too.
Old July 15th, 2010 (08:34 AM).
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum TierCS

Quote originally posted by Forever:

I swear there have been like 5 different threads on the stalker box and title tags in just this month alone. Those are the most common ones I see myself, anyway.
Not only that. The biggest problem in CQ&F is apparently the ROM hacking and Pokemon gaming threads, which, despite the forum description clearly saying that it's not allowed, get posted here anyway.

Old July 15th, 2010 (08:35 AM).
कुछ मीठा हो जाये

Can those be answered in the FAQ? And would that help? You already had this announcement that features like this might be disabled.

F.R.I.E.N.D.S
Old July 15th, 2010 (08:40 AM).
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum TierCS

Quote originally posted by mr. ck:
Can those be answered in the FAQ? And would that help? You already had this announcement that features like this might be disabled.
If anything, it'll try to make it's way into the FAQ. And to be honest, doing something about these threads is better than not doing anything. And trust me, I've seen my fair share of posts containing "PC DOESN'T SAY THIS IN ITS FAQ", so I'm trying to stop that from happening, too.

By the way, what announcement are you talking about?

Old July 15th, 2010 (08:53 AM).
कुछ मीठा हो जाये

I mean the notice, which talks about server down-time, and slowness. And asks users not to refresh the page.
At the end it says
Quote:
Please also note that some features have been disabled for the time being.
The text was coloured white, so... You might have to select it.

F.R.I.E.N.D.S
Old July 15th, 2010 (03:59 PM).
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum TierCS

I'm missing something though...how does that tie into the FAQ discussion? o.o

Old July 16th, 2010 (01:48 AM).
कुछ मीठा हो जाये

I meant that:
Even though there's an announcement that says that certain features may be disabled, people still continue to ask...
So just amending the FAQ is probably not going to reduce the number of threads like these.

F.R.I.E.N.D.S
Old July 16th, 2010 (12:59 PM).
The Mad Hatter

Quote originally posted by Twilight Sky:
I believe those posts are deleted anyhow, it has been advised for posters to try not to parrot each other's answers.
In individual threads that might amount to thirty views or something; I think a guideline would be more efficient. I didn't know the posts were deleted though; it that's true then the guideline would be unnecessary as I'm sure it'd be posted somewhere people can see it, though I don't remember seeing anything like that in recent history. Does a member of staff want to step in and give some validation here?

Quote originally posted by Pachy:

...Let's avoid rules like this. It'd be ok if it appears as a guideline, but you MUST understand that not everybody is just spitting out the same answer, the post itself may extend upon the concept itself, and offer explanation as to WHY things are the way that they are, offer further speculation on possible staff reactions to suggestions and more. These "redundant" posts are not always spam. Considering them as such is somewhat ill informed.
I never mentioned anything about a rule, Pachy. And yeah, I do comprehend all that, but there are a lot of posts that just parrot what someone else already said and offers absolutely nothing else other than, 'yeah, go with him, he's right.'
'It's been a prevalent notion. Fallen sparks. Fragments of vessels broken at the Creation. And someday, somehow, before the end, a gathering back to home. A messenger from the Kingdom, arriving at the last moment. But I tell you there is no such message, no such home -- only the millions of last moments . . . nothing more. Our history is an aggregate of last moments.'
Old July 20th, 2010 (04:46 AM).
adventure seeker
Platinum Tier

I think we should add why people need to wait between vm's and posts. Outline that it's to prevent spam and spam bots and the likes. We've gotten a few suggestions to bring down the limit and others asking why we've got one. It's a minor thing but something that could decrease the number of threads being made. Also, I read one of Nick's posts, he spoke of wishing for claim threads to be added to the FAQ, so I'll be his puppet for that suggestion.
We could also do with a little explanation on emblems, stating that they're just something aesthetic but something to award members as a little bit of fun, further linking to this thread.

It would also be nice if there was a little section with a few thread links for members to check out upon arrival such as this:
Rules
Donations
The PokéCommunity Links Resource
That being an example and not an extensive list.

It might also be nice to add something baout making a style for PC, there is very little on that matter. So a little "How to go about making a new style for PC" section would be useful.

Maybe something on post comments and how to use CSS in posts also. Other than that I can't think of too much, if I do, I'll be sure to come back.
Old July 20th, 2010 (04:47 AM).
the blossom pokémon
Crystal Tier

Really, the main guideline I'd want to drive home in Q&F is mostly "use the damn search feature" rather than anything else. :p
Quote originally posted by mr. ck:
I meant that:
Even though there's an announcement that says that certain features may be disabled, people still continue to ask...
So just amending the FAQ is probably not going to reduce the number of threads like these.
Well, the issue with notices is that people tend to skim them, get the jist of them, close them, and forget about them. Which is fine, really, because so long as the main message gets across that's all we really ask. But it means notes like "some features are disabled" are easily forgotten so we get lots of threads about it. And I can deal with that and, since it's sort of a temporary thing (hopefully), it doesn't really need a FAQ entry.
Old July 20th, 2010 (04:58 AM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Lightning:
Well, the issue with notices is that people tend to skim them, get the jist of them, close them, and forget about them. Which is fine, really, because so long as the main message gets across that's all we really ask. But it means notes like "some features are disabled" are easily forgotten so we get lots of threads about it. And I can deal with that and, since it's sort of a temporary thing (hopefully), it doesn't really need a FAQ entry.
Does that mean something as obnoxiously hard to ignore and impossible to remove as this is out of the question?
Old July 20th, 2010 (05:21 AM).
the blossom pokémon
Crystal Tier

...yes. :(

Though honestly I wouldn't mind putting a permanent notice in here with a link to the search function, the FAQ, the ROM Hacking & Game Dev forums and a few basic guidelines. ><;
Old July 20th, 2010 (07:43 AM).
adventure seeker
Platinum Tier

Why not have like a search tool bar at the bottom of PC (at the bottom of your page which follows you as your scroll) which stays positioned there? Just like pressing ctrl + F. It wouldn't be hard to implement and it would be something like what Jake did for his Johto Elite style. It would be useful for members as well as for staff. Of course, there'd need to be the option to turn it off but if it was on by default, people might get used to using it.
Old July 20th, 2010 (08:32 AM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Abnegation:
Why not have like a search tool bar at the bottom of PC (at the bottom of your page which follows you as your scroll) which stays positioned there? Just like pressing ctrl + F. It wouldn't be hard to implement and it would be something like what Jake did for his Johto Elite style. It would be useful for members as well as for staff. Of course, there'd need to be the option to turn it off but if it was on by default, people might get used to using it.
Well, if people needed to use something like that, why not just use Ctrl + F? Less time and effort for the admins.
Old July 20th, 2010 (08:37 AM).
adventure seeker
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Captain Fabio:
Well, if people needed to use something like that, why not just use Ctrl + F? Less time and effort for the admins.
Your missing the point, I don't mean a ctrl + F addon, I mean the PC search system addon which we were speaking of.
This - http://www.pokecommunity.com/search.php
Except condensed and in a tool bar floating at the bottom of each page I suppose :]
Old July 20th, 2010 (09:01 AM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Abnegation:

Your missing the point, I don't mean a ctrl + F addon, I mean the PC search system addon which we were speaking of.
This - http://www.pokecommunity.com/search.php
Except condensed and in a tool bar floating at the bottom of each page I suppose :]
That would make more sense.

I wouldn't personally use it, but I could see how it was useful.
Old July 25th, 2010 (10:28 PM).
ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Isn't there, like, a beta version of that in one of the PC skins?

(x) Tumblr
(y) Twitter
Previously Eeveon
Old August 9th, 2010 (07:30 PM).
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum TierCS

Is that it for the FAQ suggestions? .__.; I really don't know what to say at this point because the whole thing about the Ctrl + F search thing really confuses me and all, but I just want to know if anyone else has anymore FAQ suggestions or modifications before this thread dies or something.

Old August 9th, 2010 (07:33 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
This is deserving of a sticky.

How can one delete spam VMs? I got a few recently and I want them deleted.

voler avec moi
Old August 9th, 2010 (07:37 PM).
→ wonderworldofart! »
Platinum TierCS

Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
This is deserving of a sticky.

How can one delete spam VMs? I got a few recently and I want them deleted.
There should be a checkbox next to your VM and a little box or something that says "Moderation" at the bottom of the page that allows you to delete VMs when you feel that they aren't supposed to be there.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)