The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design > Graphics & Photography

Notices

Graphics & Photography Display graphics such as banners, icons, and/or photographs that you have taken.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM
zappyspiker
Sword Art Online

Nature: Brave

Advertise here
Quote:
Well since you are new I suggest you take a look at a few more tutorials and keep working at it.

As for the criq:
Good: Well I can't really say much for anything good. Maybe balance? - but that about it
Bad: Well laying it all out you have quite a number of things to work on.
GFXers more advanced than me would say that your work is just 3 renders slapped onto a gradient blurred and with unfitting text slapped and blurred.

-I suggest working with one render(Picture) to start with rather than 3 especially since you're just starting. Also try to pick renders which are more high quality. Yours on the absol and the central picture were quite rough

-Cut out the purple circles in the corners. They distract the focus on the central image.

-I also suggest you don't start working with texts until you are confident on the signature itself knowing what texts work and what doesn't work.
Try adding C4Ds to help you add some depth in your signatures

I'm not else sure what I can to beginners say but I guess keep working at it.
Perhaps look at this thread to help you
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Equinoxe
pleeease listen to meee

Nature: Naughty
Since the previous banner got critiqued/rated already and nothing new was posted, I think I could pop in and drop something of my own for you to rate :O

I'm not a very good graphical artist and usually just do these banners and avatars whenever I feel like it (i.e. not that often) so some critique from the more advanced graphic-people would be lovely. My methods are mostly just adding layers and layers of things and hoping they'll turn out even remotely decent. :'D
things to note about the banner itself: I had to draw the rest of the [our] right had; the screenshot I cut this off of was missing about half of the fist and elbow. Another thing is that I did this in the middle of the night so the quality partially reflects that :U

if my heart were a ball
it would roll uphill

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Speed
Skyward

Nature: Quirky
There's really no focus on your tag. The light shining from the bottom right is very distracting, so is the text on the top right. You also don't have flow, I see all the action going on in the right, but nothing on the left. There's also bad composition, you need to have different colors, not just one; it makes the tag bland and look flat.
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
I don't think there's anything much I can say about the banner up there that hasn't already been covered, so I'm just gonna drop this in here:
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM
dylanj70
Beginning Trainer

umm... im not much of a critiq as i just started so......
i think its good but its hard to get the perspective 'cause of the hand.

rate mine please.
(based on but not completely following a tut, 2nd ever piece)

if this code doesnt work... sorry!

ummm dunno what to say cause im new...
i think its good but the hand messes up the perspective IMO but i may be wrong...

rate mine plz....

hmm.... maybe this will work...
[img=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8687168109.jpg]

hmm.... maybe this will work...
[img=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8687168109.jpg]

Solo Challenge:
Pokemon Blue

Snorlax, Level 1
----------------------------

Last edited by dylanj70; April 19th, 2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Speed
Skyward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misheard Whisper View Post
I don't think there's anything much I can say about the banner up there that hasn't already been covered, so I'm just gonna drop this in here:
Spoiler:
Ok, well first you have some weird distortion going on around his face, I don't know if you meant to do that, but it looks like you oversharpened just that area. He's covered by C4Ds, which isn't good either. The composition isn't good, none of the colors match the render, next time try to use the colors from the render in your tag. You don't have any flow, or depth, the effects just look like you added them on, there's also too much going on, so try to keep it from getting cluttered, but still enough effects so it looks nice.

Spoiler:

This is MUCH better then your first tag, I'll give you props for that. But it could do much better without the text on the bottom right. The circles distract a bit from the focal, and there seems to be something on the render? the light source doesn't fit, and it looks like you added it in instead of letting it come together. The colors don't fit together either, but other then that, you've improved much more.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Alternative
welcome to my womb
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Since one wasn't posted above, I'll just rate this one.

Well, in comparison to your other tag, this one is much better. The render has some nice positioning to it, which is cool, and I really do like this style of tag, which really works wonders for me. The circles are a bit distracting, and maybe you should just make them thinner next time. Also the positioning, although nice, is usually best fit in the middle for a tag like this. Text is another issue with this. It distracts you from the focal, so it's best to move it closer to the focal, and make it smaller. Other than that, it's a nice attempt.

Now my tag. :)
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Sinnoh40
Beginning Trainer

Down there c: lol I was wondering what you guys thought about it :c -if i did this wrong or posted wrong place sorry Im new x.x-
Rate Please c:?
Its meant to be simple~

I guess its pretty Nice
+Color Matching
+Good Render
+Text

- Not Really Any flow I feel
I give it about 7/10

-My Graphic Is in my signature please rate? :D-

Last edited by Went; April 26th, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old April 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM
BenVolio
Beginning Trainer

It is rather simple.
I like the composition to the piece, I personally do like the "washed out", under contrasted under saturated feel in a tag.

However, what did you start with?
That would help me in giving you CnC.
Old April 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Sinnoh40
Beginning Trainer

Youmean what I did first well First i was thinking of making an fractal sig just with the render then I decided to add a stock and Idk It just feel into place
Basically I think itwas the stock / render
Old April 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Speed
Skyward

Yoko~
I like this one more compared to the Kamina one, I really just think you have to work on making it a little less cluttered, working with the colors, and the lighting. The flow is fine, and the render placement is good too.

Sinnoh
I don't really know what you were going for here. The render takes up pretty much all the tag, and I don't really see anything else other then text. :l

Critique please?
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Impo
Vital Spirit
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Yoko~
I like this one more compared to the Kamina one, I really just think you have to work on making it a little less cluttered, working with the colors, and the lighting. The flow is fine, and the render placement is good too.

Sinnoh
I don't really know what you were going for here. The render takes up pretty much all the tag, and I don't really see anything else other then text. :l

Critique please?
Well, the big empty space is the only problem I can see. I'm not to sure about the floating green and orange things... they make it seem... odd. Other than that it's rather good.

I'm not that good at rating, so I'm sorry if I said anything bad.

I tried my first proper graphics. I was merely messing with brushes and stuff, so it's rather crap, but I would like to know where I went wrong.

Spoiler:

...Let's play a game...
3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
Paired to Naya Rivera & ShiningRaichu
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:47 AM
zZJoennZz
What da!?
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to zZJoennZz
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1303789675

About this one, you shouldn't blur the body like that, it's not good and I like the light source but it's not good either because it looks it's from back.

...mehehehe
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Decypher
Craig Marshall

@Impo

For your first proper try it's not too bad. But like zZJoennZz said, you really shouldn't blur the render like that, I'm guessing you were trying to put more focus on the face but there are better ways of doing that. The background is a bit boring and you could have done a better job of blending the render into the rest of the graphic. I'm not sure if you intentionally made it like that, but I would recommend trying to have a more consistent colour scheme instead of just having the original colours of each part of the graphic. But that's just my opinion xD Keep practicing and you'll be a pro in no time. (not that I'm a pro lol, I've still got a long way to go myself)

feedback please (note, don't be too harsh, its the first sig I've made for like a year lol)

Last edited by Decypher; April 29th, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old May 7th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Poke Mitchell
Beginning Trainer

Its not bad, I like some parts and some i dont like as much.
The color is a little bland and if you look in the left middle part of the signature there is some "noise" which you want to avoid.
Try this if you feel like editing it..
make two new blank layers
on both layers choose image>apply image
on the bottom layer do a gaussian blur and on the top sharpen it once or twice
now on the top layer erase some parts that you want blury and dont erase parts you want sharp and crisp.
Next add a black and white effect over it and play with some gradiant maps; try colors like purple to orange and lower the opacity. You might have a cooler outcome :D
Overall nice job

Also. His finger is cut off in one spot Im guessing you accidentally erased it :D

PLEASE RATE

Want a signature? Just ask!

Old May 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Naruto Uzumaki
memories.
Community Supporter

6.5/10

The background stands out a bit much for me (-1) , the colors don't really go well imo (-1), the text doesn't go well with the banner that much (-1), try a different one? I'd try getting a different bg, maybe one that flows with the foreground image, and I'd try to get a better quality image (-.5) . But it's still pretty good!

Well this is my first graphic making thing after two years, and after getting a new computer, I'm a bit rusty, so I'll take any type of criticism.

The first and the last are a fail, I used messed up textures, but the second one didn't turn out so bad....I think...
Your siren wails endlessly
Open up

l MAL l
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Poke Mitchell
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard★ View Post

I'd try getting a different bg, maybe one that flows with the foreground image.
There is no background its just the render smudged and then c4d's ^.^
Thanks for rating

Want a signature? Just ask!

Old May 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Kaori
tragedy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard★ View Post
6.5/10

The background stands out a bit much for me (-1) , the colors don't really go well imo (-1), the text doesn't go well with the banner that much (-1), try a different one? I'd try getting a different bg, maybe one that flows with the foreground image, and I'd try to get a better quality image (-.5) . But it's still pretty good!

Well this is my first graphic making thing after two years, and after getting a new computer, I'm a bit rusty, so I'll take any type of criticism.

The first and the last are a fail, I used messed up textures, but the second one didn't turn out so bad....I think...
Hmm, I like the first one. I don't know if you've used a light texture or a red lighting effect in the bottom, but it gives it a decent look. As for your icons, the quality isn't all that good, and the colors are too dull in my opinion.

I was pretty bored so I went ahead and made something from scratch on Photoshop. Everything was done by me and the stars are brushes with added effects.

Spoiler:

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:37 PM
zZJoennZz
What da!?
Community Supporter

The shoes above looks nice and blended well, but kinda lq.

Here's mine

...mehehehe
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Tyranee
Can't read my Poke'-face!

^ Focal point would be nice, but the lens flare throws it off. Get rid of the lens flare. That's the biggest concern. The colors work together ok although the guy sortof seems out of place because of the color contrast between him and the background. I like your flow, without the lens flare it would flow in a good straight direction. Here's some advice: If you want a good source of light don't use a lens flare. Use a soft white brush on soft light or overlay blending mode and adjust its opacity. Works a lot better and it's much more subtle. The text is pretty alright too. Decent placement and it's legible.

Advice on mine? Haven't made a siggie in a while and this was a quickie. Didn't use any C4Ds (I forgot lol and it's sortof too far into the work to add them ATM)

Voice Acted Apollo Justice LP:
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:41 AM
Xyrin
Furret

I like it and I like how you duplicated the render and smudged one. The background is bland but nothing would really look that good, so I don't know what to say. As you said C4Ds should've been added. And that's really all I can say...

I'm pretty new at this and I was trying out a different style. It didn't go as well I wanted it to but, hey.

Furret

The Creeper Hub ~ x - Icons by Anastasia - My Twitter ~ x
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:03 AM
zZJoennZz
What da!?
Community Supporter

I like the placement of render but it lacks of effects and it was empty, read some tutorials and the text placements in wrong and colors D:

...mehehehe
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Alternative
welcome to my womb
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
To be honest, I've always liked sprite tags, and you've made one so you get some points from me for that. :) One thing I've noticed is that the bottom of the tag does have pretty much no colour whatsoever, so it looks kinda dull, and seems to end like that. I would've added more colour to that, as well as the C4D which is flowing behind the focal. Text is really good if you ask me, it fits the colours well. :)

Spoiler:

Keep in mind that this is a Profile Picture I want rated, so that's why it looks really empty and all bunched up in one corner.
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:52 AM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
'Kay... here goes an attempt at rating.

First, I think that even though it's a profile pic, it doesn't have to be bunched up in the corner like that. You don't really have any textured going on in the background; it's all solid as far as I can tell, and therefore I think could be cropped out, you know? Since you can put the pic and a background color in and have the same effect.

As far as the actual picture goes, the one really bright piece sticking out of the purple kind of bothers me, and there's a bit of orange in the blue. I think the colored parts could have been blended into the picture a bit more... the orange especially feels like it's just hanging out on top of her. The blue looks really good, though, and the purple is nice how it blends with her hair. The text is fitting, I think, except for the pink just bothers me for some reason. Just the color, though, otherwise it's fine.

/hopes that was okay

Okay, here is one of my beginning attempts at making things.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:45 AM
zZJoennZz
What da!?
Community Supporter

Having 3 focal points is not good, it's more distracting if you don't execute it well. The splatter thing is front seems not used well.

Rate mine.

...mehehehe

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here