The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design > Graphics & Photography

Notices

Graphics & Photography Display graphics such as banners, icons, and/or photographs that you have taken.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 25th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Renyui!
mesc

Nature: Hasty

Advertise here
The whole grainy/noise effect of the piece is appealing to my love for things oversharpened. Also really digging the whole depth of it, but the head kinda just floating around, being all dismembered and whatnot irks me a little. Not enough to put me off the piece, just a small notice. The colours work well, with the purple flares adding some nice touches.

Yeah so like i did this one thing in that one program and whatever this is happened

I made one less saturated because my eyes. They burn.
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Brane
-

I prefer the one more saturated, it's more vibrant in general. The few things I do pick up on are that the text placement just doesn't look right, it's weird how you have the suchfragile raised out o the box, and then the bonds comes out of the side while also touching the i sort of taking the flow away. It's also not balanced in terms of the letters coming out further on the right then theyre coming in on the left. Also, that little orb above the 's' in suchfragile makes the s look blurred, it would be crisper if that wasn't there. Lastly, I don't like how the swirl is flat, rather then going in front and at the back of the box, which is easily done. Dats my two cents.

This is a large piece I'm working on and reaalllyyy need some feedback <=O

Old January 12th, 2012, 08:52 AM
abnegation
adventure

While the composition and style of the piece are rather interesting, there are a lot of omissions and things I would add and change. You need to define an actual focal point, right now the center is rather messy and it's hard to make out anything. The textures you've used have really distracted the focal, and the whole thing does look a little messy. The text should also be a lot closer to it. So at least define your focal point and see where it goes from there.
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Zero Darkness
The Cripple Who Is Whole

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Darkness
Brane: like the one above me said, your focal is little messy, the text don`t support it or doing something except stealing the spotlight. Someone once told me that if you want to place a text in the right position to this: Grid your project with the rule of thirds[2 horizental lines and 2 vertical lines] then put the text near the +[prefering the closest to the focal and the best it could look], and you should combine it with the flow of the focal. Hope that it help you.
I don`t have 15 posts so I cant post a link.

Brane: like the one above me said, your focal is little messy, the text don`t support it or doing something except stealing the spotlight. Someone once told me that if you want to place a text in the right position to this: Grid your project with the rule of thirds[2 horizental lines and 2 vertical lines] then put the text near the +[prefering the closest to the focal and the best it could look], and you should combine it with the flow of the focal. Hope that it help you.
I don`t have 15 posts so I cant post a link.

Adding to my older post [which is right a top of this] the picture
I`m going to buy 3DS and pokemon White version so I was inspired by Zekrom:

"There are two types of fights. Whenever we are in battle, we must be one of the two. The fight for life or…the fight for pride! Right now…He is fighting for his pride! His wife’s pride…his men's pride…Most importantly…his own personal pride. Dismiss this as his stubbornness…and let him fight alone like this…" -Jushiro Ukitake, Bleach-

"It's meaningless to just live, it's meaningless to just fight. I want to win!" -Ichigo Kurosaki, Bleach-

Last edited by abnegation; January 21st, 2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Do not double post
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:19 PM
moments.
{quixotic}
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm
I don't know what the original stock might've looked like, but what you've got here isn't too bad! Firstly, I'd tone down the contrast though, because areas like the face are completely black, and you are losing all the original details from the stock. Plus with most of the background and a lot of the canvas completely black, you've got a lot of negative space and it makes the piece feel really empty.

Next up is quality issues. It looks like you've duplicated Zekrom and put a huge blur directly to the right of the stock, however it looks really low quality and isn't too appealing. Also, that fractal/C4D is good, but where it sits on top of Zekrom, it is really low quality and a strange colour. Leads me to question what layer mode you were using and to recommend something like Linear Dodge or Lighten.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Cycle
Trainer

Nature: Jolly
@Zero: I like what you're trying, it doesn't seem bad, but the amount of empty space is... a lot. It's also much too dark, Zekrom's face should be a bit more visible (not a lot) and if you can fix the quality it'd be better as well. A star stock or something else might add to the small LP's appeal as well.

gah, rusty, haven't made anything for about half a year (that long?) already. 9.9

edit: v2

tbh not sure which one i prefer

Last edited by Cycle; January 22nd, 2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: adding a v2
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:03 AM
moments.
{quixotic}

@Cycle:
First of all, the effects are really messy and really unpolished. Like, the black and white triangles are not the same shape, are not aligned neatly, those stars are really misshapen. Basically the whole thing feels really rushed, and not a whole lot of effort. That said, if you tidy it all up, and get the wireframe more in the canvas to make it more prominent / add more flow and detail, you'll be able to save it. The plain white background is a little bland, but all it needs is some colour, or a texture. The text I'm not feeling at all.
If you use the version with the duplicate on the left, and add really trippy colours, that could work as well.

Hope that was ok. <3

Here's an LP, specifically some album artwork. Warning, 'tis a gargantuan piece.
buttondown.png

Old January 25th, 2012, 06:42 AM
abnegation
adventure

Pretty nice. But AMANDA STYLE HELLLOOOOOO! Haha, it does remind me of Amanda's work. What I do like most, happens to be the type however. The duplicated lines add for a nice lively feeling to it. However I think you could have made it a bit more wild. Gone for a little more colour and splash. I think pinks would have worked here and a general bit of edginess. The reason being is that if you added depth and life to the type a little more, it would add a nice contrast with the background. Because if you have depth and texture to your type in a different palette the style would be fluid with your background.

You see the issue is that the type is too dead for the piece. The background has a lot of dull colours and it lacks a huge amount of interesting points, which would mean that your type would really need to stand out that bit more rather than blending in. Especially if you wish it to be an album cover. However I can see this being one. It simply needs more pop in the type. Good work though.
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Cycle
Trainer

Nothing to rate since abnegation pretty much covered everything (although I'm curious what Amanda style is o.o)

Anyways, still rusty ugh
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:11 AM
JalordaSerpent
Run, you clever boy...
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild

I like the colors, but the tag seems confusing. All of the different abstracts and colors are filling up the image and it's hard to see what the tag is featuring. You could darken the image a little and just make the tag a bit more visible, if you know what I mean.:D

Here is an icon I just made from this stock.
Old January 28th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Zero Darkness
The Cripple Who Is Whole

Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Darkness
Ohhh, I dont know what to say about your icon, I never made an icon and I dont know how to judge this. So I will just say that if you planned to do monochrome icon, you ended up good, you could add more things like fractals or C4Ds to the project, its look very similier to the stock too much similier. If you were added more things it wasnt ended very similier. But again I dont know how icon should be maken, so I might be wrong.

And now I will show to you the remake of the Zekrom... Thing I did 8 posts earilier. I just took the render and start this thing fresh and new! Hope its better.[tried new things so if you see a way to help, help!]

EDIT: as I see it now in big, I thinking and I found out that this is Zekrom flying in hyper speed around thunderclouds!!
"There are two types of fights. Whenever we are in battle, we must be one of the two. The fight for life or…the fight for pride! Right now…He is fighting for his pride! His wife’s pride…his men's pride…Most importantly…his own personal pride. Dismiss this as his stubbornness…and let him fight alone like this…" -Jushiro Ukitake, Bleach-

"It's meaningless to just live, it's meaningless to just fight. I want to win!" -Ichigo Kurosaki, Bleach-
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Cycle
Trainer

Too many effects. Good job brightening the head, but the effects are all over. I'd clean it up a bit and drop the text as well. Keep some effects and add a star stock or something. kiu

me, ive been trying the orb style and i cant seem to get it right. thoughts?

bg sucks, but idk what to put there so i just slapped a star stock on lol
Old January 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM
moments.
{quixotic}

@Cycle
[s]you stole them quert .PSDs eh? xP[s]

Aight. First of all, the difference between the really good orb pieces, and the not so good ones is time spent. They aren't difficult to make, and you've obviously got all the techniques down, but you haven't spent enough time. Where you've got the main circle for the orb, it looks like you've soft brushed black in the middle to create a donut shape. Don't do that. It looks tacky, and is a bit of a shortcut (which doesn't have the same effect). Keep adding layers with little bits of the orb light around to form the shape without just making a circle then brushing over the top. Main reason, you lose heaps of details doing it your way, and given the simplicity of these pieces, details is everything.

So, just add more layers of the light orb 'body', over and in between the black/blue/yellow details, so they feel a bit more transparent.

Old January 31st, 2012, 10:27 PM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
Nothing to rate since abnegation pretty much covered everything (although I'm curious what Amanda style is o.o)

Anyways, still rusty ugh
Amanda style is large-tag style, innit? I've seen some of Amanda's work before on other forums.

Anyways, for your tag, the pink is spot-on, but I reckon it'd be better without the orange on some parts. There are some good effects, but there is too much and you need to cut down on some unnecessary stuff such as the vector lines and clipping effects. There's a focus though, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how you left the stock background in. Overall, it's nice, but it's messy due to the abundance of effects. Garbage some of them and it'll look better, definitely.

This is my first one in months. Don't go easy on me though.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Brane
-

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/3585/forrowcopy.png
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4884/forrowcopy2.png

Well the biggest nick I have at the moment is that the sprite is fairly difficult to see along with the background because of the low amount of contrast. It's probably because there are no white highlights etc. But I guess in terms of the focal point it stands out due to the black and white background (contradiction eh? :D). I prefer the second one because the first one looks way too bland with the big space on the right, it's kind of like a separate image with nothing in it so it doesn't fit. If anything I reckon you could go with the first one if you took out the bit on the right and made the image a bit longer

Thought I'd do something for once cuz I'm so lazy :D And thank the lord Uni is starting on Monday because at the moment everything I've been producing is so average haha.
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:41 PM
abnegation
adventure

I know this stock. It requires a lot of flow to work with. Which you're lacking here. There's no real attempt to make the effects go in any direction, they're just a little all over the place, and with this stock you need to make it really follow the direction or make it atmospheric to a degree. My biggest issue with it is the concept in general. It lacks one, it lacks any direction. The effects seem sloppy and dolloped instead of placed.

The colours are really drab and harsh. They ruin any sense of depth or appeal to the eye. Not your best piece, I recommend thinking about your concepts before going to Photoshop.
Old February 24th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Cycle
Trainer

@Brane: It's all over the place. The compo and effects just seem off, I'm not feeling it. Effects seem pasted without any thoughts. colors need some work. I'd just scrap it frankly, and go with another one.

Old February 25th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Nature: Careful
@ Cycle : First of all, I'm not too fancy for the colors. I don't like the pairing of green and blue. Both colors are strong here; IMO you should at least have a softer color to complement the stronger one. The hint of softbrushing on the render doesn't look great. Also, you need more details if you want this to go from good to great. Add a smudge orb at the right side of the tag, add small pixels of yellow to complement the render's yellow color, experiment with text, try playing with the C4D that you have if it complements the smudge. Be creative! Right now it feels like a WIP that would be superb if some stuff was tweaked and added.

Your smudge is miles better than what I can ever do though. Keep it up. :3

Here's something I've been playing around with. inb4 no-borders, they're cool and they're not going anywhere. :>

Old February 25th, 2012, 01:39 AM
moments.
{quixotic}

@Cycle
Rest covered most of the things, the colours are not working so well with the stock, though I wouldn't agree with adding a C4D. You've got some really nice smudge here, you can easily carry the tag with smudge alone. You just need to work in more depth into the smudge, cause it is really flat and a little bland. You can add depth by burning/dodging areas of the smudge which will work to some extent, but also adding more detailed, really fine smudging; that'll help make it more interesting as well.
The smudge also looks quite low quality in some areas, not sure why, but it definitely is detracting from the tag. :(

@Rest
Eh, borders... I actually don't mind the yellow, but the widescreen border I don't really like... Get a thick bar on one side, or something, if you're going to widescreen it, either make them black, or make them large enough to become a feature.
Anyways, not bad, it feels kind of messy and a bit random, and the focus is much to centred, but the colours are pretty cool and the effects are decent. Like I said with Cycle, you need more depth as well. You've got these gradient maps on which just make everything flat... Apply the image and starting burning with a fairly small soft brush, and create some shadows. It doesn't really matter why, how accurate or neat they are, it shouldn't be that noticeable, but will just make it feel more polished, give it a bit of depth etc. Text on this would be really nice as well.

Old April 1st, 2012, 07:39 PM
Zebra Thunderhead
the avenger

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
@Brane: It's all over the place. The compo and effects just seem off, I'm not feeling it. Effects seem pasted without any thoughts. colors need some work. I'd just scrap it frankly, and go with another one.

do you frequent any other forums? I've seen this smudge style around and it's pretty distinct. the constant jumping around of styles in your tags raises a red flag for me. maybe you're just very versatile. anyways, as far as this one goes, the stock does not blend well with the background the colors are just plan off. there's also no real depth or light source, which is a problem. it's very flat. the flow's right on but it needs work. gradient maps break heartz unless you know how to use 'em.

@Rest: I'm not going to say anything because it's just going to be a regurgitation of moments'

----------

or

❛i don't know where you're going
or when you're coming home.❜

Old April 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Apple Juice
who are you
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra Thunderhead View Post
The flow on this one is simply marvelous; the kick is amazingly shown by the background effects, and the sprite aspect of it doesn't made any difference to the quality of the banner. Very well done!

Quote:
Not ~as~ happy as this one, but still a pretty great banner. I'd like to see the brightness on the left side toned down a bit as the render suggests a more darker-oriented tag imo. I like the lighting though, and the render is well placed. Great job! n__-n

I'm a little rusty... It's so messy, I apologize.

LP/Guide/Review of the Week! - create one now and it could be featured!
shawn , janna , dave // credit
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Juice View Post

I'm a little rusty... It's so messy, I apologize.
I've never done anything close to this level in my life so feel free to say my rating makes no sense and just disregard it I guess.

It's obviously a great banner and the only real criticisms I can find with my limited knowledge is how there is a fair amount of the canvas completely untouched I guess. Perhaps the render could stand out a little more too. I wouldn't blame you for not thinking twice about my comment though and it's still a great banner.

Now for my signature aimed a completely different corner of the internet. I might as well be a beginner but be as harsh as you like. I think it's rather simple and obviously I haven't used any advanced techniques or anything.

EDIT: Whipped this up as well. Fell free to rate either one or both.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264

Last edited by Nuke; April 9th, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Brane
-

inb4 too old.

Tbh they both look a bit plain, the stocks do not interact with the foreground and the background just seems like it's in the way even though it's a part of the stock. The effects look a little random and seem to have no deeper purpose. I'd suggest looking up a few tutorials and starting from their : ).

Need some help on this as it's part of a Uni project. Tutor said something is bugging him, and something is bugging me but we can't figure out what. Help plox :D (Will fix bg shadows aka remove them so ignore them atm).

Old May 13th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Nimblethumbs
my name would look hot in bold

I was going to say the shadows, but then nvm. I'm honestly not in the right place to give any advice on that, but one side of the watch is very pastelly, and the other has that shine-detail. I know. i suck.

Ok, I haven't done anything in forever. Obviously bit rusty.
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM
theSyko501

would like some feedback on this i did not draw this i just cropped it and added some words would like to know how good of a job i did.(btw i kinda like the style not all the fancy colors and stuff just the object/thing floating there like it was made into the page)

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here