The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:17 AM
G00dbye
Ludicolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΣŁ1ŦΣ CHΛRIΖΛЯĐ View Post
the mapping is nice but when you put flowers, dont put them everywhere, try to keep them diagonal and clustered together, also the big lake needs to have a different figure, having it square does not look natural,also like you said, you should take the two big trees and put something else (like a lake that may contain a legendary pokemon) it would be okay for an event, besides these things everything looks okay and i give this map a 7/10.
by the way, the map you rated IS the map above cerulean city xD

this map is the next route to the map i posted above.

map name: none
rom base: fire red
comments: this is the first time I've used the waterfall tiles and they look wrong so if they ARE wrong, tell me so i can fix them.
map is on attachment.

Rating: 6/10

Reason: The waterfalls look wrong but you have said that by yourself already. I don't know how they must be, maybe you can look at the waterfalls in the real game and see what you've done wrong. If the waterfalls look right I would give a 8/10 because I like your tiles, but maybe you can make the grass a little better. And I think you get border errors.

Suggestions:
What I said the waterfalls. And maybe improve the grass a little bit. And the border errors.

(Somethings what I said could be wrong because I'm not the best person in it.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for my map

Map Name: Route 01

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: This is my first own made map.

Mapshot:

Sorry for the copyright sign but I've only done that because otherwise everyone who search on google can steal it and nobody going to read the first page where Manipulation said:

- No stealing.
Only post Maps for rating/reviewing if you made them, do not steal any work of others and claim it as your own!

i52.tinypic.com/1zvwzk8.jpg

no www needed (I can't post links only if I have done 15 posts)
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM
MUDKIPS4LIFE
Hack Player.

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Posted by GOOdbye
Now for my map

Map Name: Route 01

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: This is my first own made map.

Mapshot:

Sorry for the copyright sign but I've only done that because otherwise everyone who search on google can steal it and nobody going to read the first page where Manipulation said:

- No stealing.
Only post Maps for rating/reviewing if you made them, do not steal any work of others and claim it as your own!

i52.tinypic.com/1zvwzk8.jpg

no www needed (I can't post links only if I have done 15 posts)

goodbyes map.png
1:the tiles are wrong. you used the top tree tile instead of the repeating.
2:The shadings are a little bit messed up.
3:It seems to synchronized.

besides those things the maps really good maybe make the lakes a random shape not squares. The one thing you need to work on is your shading.

Map review 6/10

---------------------------
My map

Map Name: Black Mount City
Rom base: Fire Red
Credits: WAH for tiles
Map: In attachment

City.png

This ferocious beast is stronger then Chuck Norris. Bigger then Godzilla. He will crush you in seconds. He is a beast. That blush? Blood from a baby he ate earlier.
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:40 PM
NurseBarbra
くら くら?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NurseBarbra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ΣŁ1ŦΣ CHΛRIΖΛЯĐ View Post
this map looks really nice but the only problem i see with it is below the gym, the trees there are all straight, they should be put randomly anywhere instead of keeping them straight, it makes it look non natural, but this map is really good so i give it a 9/10

map name: cemetary
rom base: fire red
credits: me for the tiles (don't steal)
map: in attachment
comments: the floor tile is kind of messed up so i might fix that.
This is a nice map,I really like the Zelda: LTTP tiles. The pallets are a little iffy in places making it hard to differentiate between the path tiles. It also looks a bit to open for a graveyard, so I would suggest filling it in some more.
Overall I give it 6 brownie points out of 10 /quickreview
---------------
My map: Lanat Village Version 1 (technically 2) + Route A
Game: Pokemon Evanesce
Rom: Firered
Credits: alistar for the grass and zetavares852 for the tilesheets.
Maps:
Spoiler:

(They connect from left to right And I HAVE fixed the Tile errors on the maps.)
Old February 26th, 2011, 05:08 PM
joshblevins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDKIPS4LIFE View Post
1:the tiles are wrong. you used the top tree tile instead of the repeating.
2:The shadings are a little bit messed up.
3:It seems to synchronized.

besides those things the maps really good maybe make the lakes a random shape not squares. The one thing you need to work on is your shading.

Map review 6/10

---------------------------
My map

Map Name: Black Mount City
Credits: WAH for tiles
Map: In attachment

Attachment 59114
Personally i like your map. The tiles seem to be good. they blend well which is not easy to do seeing as you are using the default houses and pokemon centers which im not a fan of.

Map Review 10/10

Map Name: Nameless for the time being.
Comments: This doesn't have a name yet i will edit it when it does but, it is the second town (including the starting town). It isn't anything special it is just a filler town for now i may add something to tie it into the main story maybe not but i think i did a good job on it. What do you guys think?
Map:Attachment below:D
Attached Images
File Type: png Town 2.png‎ (43.9 KB, 86 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old February 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshblevins View Post
Personally i like your map. The tiles seem to be good. they blend well which is not easy to do seeing as you are using the default houses and pokemon centers which im not a fan of.

Map Review 10/10

Map Name: Nameless for the time being.
Comments: This doesn't have a name yet i will edit it when it does but, it is the second town (including the starting town). It isn't anything special it is just a filler town for now i may add something to tie it into the main story maybe not but i think i did a good job on it. What do you guys think?
Map:Attachment below:D
Ok, first off I have to say, that without a doubt, those are the ugliest tiles I have ever seen in my life. The map is too big. It has too much space, which really wasn't needed. The mountain is extremely square, and random - as is the rock - and there are tile errors at the two bottom corners. The path is also too straight and boring, and that fence behind the house, again, unneeded. Try adding some more houses, trees, flowers (scratch that, add some flowers) and a sign or two. Oh, and tile error in that tree in the bottom.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Diamond Cave
Map Game: Pokemon Iron and Stone
Credits: First post of hack thread
Comments: Diamond Cave, or part of it at least, exits into biggest town in hack, would say more but about to sleep.
Map:
Spoiler:

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:01 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
Comments: Diamond Cave, or part of it at least, exits into biggest town in hack, would say more but about to sleep.
Map:
Spoiler:
I like the idea of having black around the edges, instead of the standard floor tile. It gives the cave a darker feeling so it's not just a map with a bunch of rocks but instead it's an actual cave. On the topic of tiles, the corner mountain tiles look a little weird. Everywhere else, there's a transition from the lighter rock to the darker rock but at the corners, there's a sharp contrast between the two. Also, the stairs look a little odd but that's pretty minor. As for the layout, I think the windiness is nice but I feel that there aren't enough dead ends. If this cave doesn't have the "flash" effect (and I have to assume it doesn't because you didn't mention it in the comments), the player can easily locate the correct path and take it. Caves are supposed to frustrate the player by leading them down false paths, thus causing more random encounters, and I get the feeling that this cave would be pretty easy to traverse. Overall, it's a nice map but it could use a little more complexity.

Brother of Vrai
Old February 27th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Ray Maverick
life without liberty; body without spirit
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Maverick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
Map:
Spoiler:
Yo, it looks cool, man. Kyledove tiles right?
Watch the way you put your rocks, there are too many in one spot. It looks kinda weird. Also, there's plenty of space to move around. Easier for player to get passed this cave; personally I'd use a repel and get over this in 20secs. Haha :p anyway, what about making it more natural? More difficult that way. (e.g. rocks in player's way)
I dig your style, keep it up.

Rating: 7/10

My turn now, right.
Name: Windstrong Town
Game: Nirvana
Comments: First and last town of Nirvana, as I'm not working on it anymore. Favorite map so far, full natural style, haters of natural style don't look at it, or QQ.
Credits: Kyledove, zein and me, Novus, GFreak, Wesley (for the revamped house), Laz and Zeikku (for just being there)
Spoiler:

P.S Yeah, I see that tile mistake in the big house's bench.

Last edited by Ray Maverick; March 1st, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Mewtoo22
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Careful
Not bad, Ray Maverick. Using different kinds of trees and bushes does give it that natural look. Some of the pathways look a bit too narrow, though. Also, I think the lower part of the town (on the right) would look better with a sandy path like you used leading up to the house on the left. What's up with that mailbox by the stairs, anyway? So yeah, 9/10, I don't really see any problems. Just needs more space to walk, really.

Town Name: None yet
Game: Burnt Umber
Comments: First town, will eventually be remade with custom tiles, building in upper right is the lab
Credits: GameFreak
Attached Images
File Type: png Origin Town.png‎ (24.7 KB, 67 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:54 AM
Ray Maverick
life without liberty; body without spirit
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Maverick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewtoo22 View Post
Not bad, Ray Maverick. Using different kinds of trees and bushes does give it that natural look. Some of the pathways look a bit too narrow, though. Also, I think the lower part of the town (on the right) would look better with a sandy path like you used leading up to the house on the left. What's up with that mailbox by the stairs, anyway? So yeah, 9/10, I don't really see any problems. Just needs more space to walk, really.

Town Name: None yet
Game: Burnt Umber
Comments: First town, will eventually be remade with custom tiles, building in upper right is the lab
Credits: GameFreak
Quite nice map you got there, mate. Nice style, also, though not natural.
There are only two things bothering me: there's a special tile for the vertical fences, makes it look more normal. The other - the grass and some tree shadings. You just missed 3-4 tree shadings, you know, the ones between the trees?
Would be easier to use just one grass tile, instead of all of them together.
Other than that, it's a very good map; rating: 7.5/10
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Fee Nicks
TekMage

Nature: Adamant
Ray Maverick:
I really, really like this map. Far more than most maps I've seen with similar tiles, this just seems alive and vivid, something that seems to be missing from most maps I've seen. This is also amazing in that whilst it does a marvelous job at using a natural-ish mapping style it also still keeps the edges properly aligned where it needs to.
I would, however, say to either change the pathway around the house in the top-left corner to dirt or to just keep one type of pathway throughout. Right now it just seems a bit odd that there's a stone pathway around a house but a dirt pathway leading up to it.

Mewtoo22:
To be brutally honest, this map doesn't exactly stand out from the crowd. It's perfectly serviceable, but the fact that it almost religiously clings to the original tree grid is disappointing. Nonetheless, I still have a liking for the overall design; even if the posts are somewhat oddly-positioned, I still like it quite a bit.
The thing is, however, is that it's just another generic starting town map. No matter how nice it looks, it just seems like you're going to be boxed in entirely thanks to the inherent design traits those types of maps seem to perpetuate. The custom graphics you say you're going to add are probably going to help a little with that problem, but the fact remains that it still extremely plain in terms of design.

Meanwhile, here's something I've been working on for the past two days. Technically it's not in the ROM yet, but given how fairly simple it should be to insert a new palette for it and actually get it in there. Also technically it's not something that's usually seen in this thread, even if it does fit the topic:
Spoiler:
map2.png
Somewhat WIP, but more-or-less complete, unless I decide to change how I do the towns and whatnot.
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Jolly
@Fee Nicks: May I ask what game you are hacking?

The map itself looks quite good. I don't like the looks of the western Shore, though. Even if it's supposed to be some sort of wasteland, it looks horribly plain. Try adding a lil more elevation there?

The thin strip of land down south shouldn't also entirely be covered with trees, try creating some open spaces or adding some beaches.
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Collen
I have returned.

Fee Nicks: Looks okay, but I can't really tell with it being so small and not in-game. Actually, the shape sort of reminds me of America. A little bit of criticism: The mountains to the left look out-of-place a bit. I guess it's just odd having mountains run into the ocean like that.

Now, for my map:
Name: Deep Valley Route
Hack: PKMN Shadowed Dawn
Base: Firered
Comments: My first map in this hack. Credits go to the Grassyledge guy and the tree guy (for the stump). The grass was made by me. The rest was made by Nintendo.

WARNING: HUGE IMAGE
Spoiler:

I'm aware of an error on the right coast.

Old March 13th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Fee Nicks
TekMage

Nature: Adamant
Collen: Huh. I kinda don't really know how to approach this map. I'd really have to see the routes it connects to, as right now it seems a bit...plain? I certainly like the design, even if those sideways staircases seem really wonky to me. What I do have to say is that the mountain tops look really odd, even if they do fade into the grass like that. It's also really odd how there's just that space all along the bottom; the trees just look rather odd not being right against the water. It looks like it'd be a very good map to actually go through (especially given that it's the first in the hack), but it doesn't have the same complexity that some of the other maps I've seen have. You pull off the simple look rather nicely, I'll have to say.

So I kinda know how to approach it. Huh.

Now...
Might as well say that this is for FireRed, and that... well, it's a slight revision of the map I put up a few days ago. I also attempted a border of sorts, but it's really iffy at the moment:

[Non ingame one in spoiler, at 2x].
andinaflashallmyproblemaresolvedforever.PNG
Spoiler:
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Collen
I have returned.

Once again, a pretty cool map. It's amazing that you got it in the game.
However, I am a bit curious as to where all the paths will be, and how many mountain areas there will be, since it seems to be a big feature in the map.

Name: Route 1
Base: Fire Red
Hack: Pokemon Shadowed Dawn
Comment: This is the first route in the game. It contains the first wild Pokemon from Gen 1 and Gen 2. This is a basic route connecting your town (Charis Village) and the next town (Dial Town).

Spoiler:

Old March 14th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Neti
Follow @PokeNeti on Twitter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collen View Post
Once again, a pretty cool map. It's amazing that you got it in the game.
However, I am a bit curious as to where all the paths will be, and how many mountain areas there will be, since it seems to be a big feature in the map.

Name: Route 1
Comment: This is the first route in the game. It contains the first wild Pokemon from Gen 1 and Gen 2. This is a basic route connecting your town (Charis Village) and the next town (Dial Town).

Spoiler:
To start off with the layout:
For a first route its pretty conservative: The first you pass it youll have to go through a lot of high grass, but when you go back you can just jump over the edge without encountering many pokemon.
but thats not bad, for a first route its just right.

still there are some things i dislike:
1. The tree placement
your trees are perfectly lined up. That doenst look very natural.
check my natural mapping tut to see how to make it better: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4411354
btw i learned this style of tree placement from disturbed back in the days when he just started mapping
2. High Grass Placement:
Its basically the same thing as with the trees... leave some free spaces inside the grass to make it look more naturally. but all in all the shapes are nice.
3. The "normal" grass:
You used the same tile for the normal grass all over the map. You should vary this because it really doesnt look very good.

What I like is the shape of the map and that you put some smaller trees and flowers into it. not too many and not too few. but maybe yould consider adding some rocks too.

thats basically it!
im not gonna give a numeric rating cause i havent been here for a long time.
just consider changing the things i pointed out and youll have a good map.

cheers
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Collen
I have returned.

So, since you didn't post a map, and I've already rated the map above that...
so, I guess that means free map. I'll edit a rating in if I'm supposed to.

Name: Charis Village
Comment: This is your home town, the place you start in. I tried to stick with the normal home town look, but it's different then the games because it's not in a square- I've never liked that look anyway.
Slogan: Where shining stars come to rest.
Spoiler:

Old March 15th, 2011, 08:43 AM
jabberjabber8
../\..

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
Elite Charizard
Im not particularly great at rating maps However at the risk of sounding like a idiot, you may depending on the routes before and after this want to force the player through some long grass (if there are few trainers). Also I think there may be a tile error in the far left centre of the map. Aside from that this map looks like great fun to play...
9/10

Now my map:
Map is in the attachments
Comments: this is the 3rd city you encounter on the game. Please don't be to harsh this is first time i have mapped a city (despite mapping a few routes)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pewter city.jpg‎ (336.5 KB, 96 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Lyzak
wishes he had a Hacking Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post
Name: Windstrong Town
Game: Nirvana
Comments: First and last town of Nirvana, as I'm not working on it anymore. Favorite map so far, full natural style, haters of natural style don't look at it, or QQ.
Credits: Kyledove, zein and me, Novus, GFreak, Wesley (for the revamped house), Laz and Zeikku (for just being there)
[map missing from new user restrictions]

P.S Yeah, I see that tile mistake in the big house's bench.
To this map, I have a few words. Firstly, well done with the trees. The look realistic in most places, although in truth it will be eons before anyone REALLY fits the perfect "naturalist" mold. In the meantime, you have a variety of "species" and sizes and positions to add a bit of randomness.

As for the town itself... that's another story. Firstly, it's cramped. I understand that in a small town, you might be going for a more intimate setting, in terms of spatial relations, but it just looks too tightly cramped. The paths are small and often not very linear, which is how a path should look. Your paths look like extensive patios that cover the entire town. In full, you might want to consider expanding the town slightly, straightening and conforming the path, and maybe organize the town a bit more.

Finally, that pool... just sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm sorry, it's a nice effect in theory, but I just don't think it fits.
For nature, I give it a 9.5/10
For urban planning, I give it a 4/10
For other graphics, I would have given it a 10/10 if it hadn't been for that pool.

Now, onto another review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjabber8 View Post
Map is in the attachments
Comments: this is the 3rd city you encounter on the game. Please don't be to harsh this is first time i have mapped a city (despite mapping a few routes)
First off, for a simple Pewter City remake, it's not all that bad. However, here is a list of things you should know:
1) The raised terrain looks forced and unnecessary. Why is there a small mountain in there? It sticks right out.
2) The path just south of the "mountain" gets clipped by the flower placement.
3) Speaking of flowers, tone em down a bit. Use them in isolated patches to add some flare, but don't surround an entire mountain with them for the sake of surrounding an entire mountain with them.
4) Grass on the top terrace of a "mountain" tile base with the north side visible has always been a problem. Avoid this if possible, as you suddenly transition from grass to rock, which is a poor visual contrast and not all that realistic.
5) In terms of city planning, the Pokemon Center is not the highlight of the town. It should not be raised up on a pedestal like it is. Also, generally speaking, it should be in close proximity to the Pokemon Mart (with some exceptions)

---
---

Hope those reviews helped! I have no maps of my own made, as I'm still planning my hack out. Also, I will definitely be wanting custom tilesets, and the detail that has been put into some of the maps here in terms of tiles puts my pixel art to shame.

Moral of the story, I'ma gona need a professional spriter and tiler. And programmer. And other digital artists.

Moral of the story, Pokémon Symphonic needs a team. Join me. >=3
-Lyzák

Last edited by Lyzak; March 16th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old March 17th, 2011, 11:54 AM
jabberjabber8
../\..

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
No map in front of me except my own and one i have all ready rated so im going to go ahead and post my own map again (if there is a map that needs rating some one Pm and ill edit it in)

The attached map is my second go at pewter city, I have made the "small mountain" smaller so it does not stick out. Fixed multiple tile errors (there are probably still more). Removed lots of flowers, and generally rearranged the city to make the gym in the centre of attention... think that covers everything...

See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pewter city.jpg‎ (331.7 KB, 52 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
Old March 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Lyzak

Quote:
No map in front of me except my own and one i have all ready rated so im going to go ahead and post my own map again (if there is a map that needs rating some one Pm and ill edit it in)

The attached map is my second go at pewter city, I have made the "small mountain" smaller so it does not stick out. Fixed multiple tile errors (there are probably still more). Removed lots of flowers, and generally rearranged the city to make the gym in the centre of attention... think that covers everything...

See attached.
This time around you moved some buildings to better fit a city plan, but there are still some problems. The raised land still looks a bit forced, and doesn't really fit the theme of a city surrounded by pine trees.

Speaking of pine trees, I noticed some shadow errors. Look at your trees careful to find some tiles that should be swapped out for tree parts without shadows.

Also, I noticed some problems using Stair tiles. The stair tiles you use for the Pokémon Center Mart are non-shaded ones, when they should be shaded. Meanwhile, down at the Pokémon Gym, you have used all shaded ones, which looks off. Only the left-most stair tile in a width of stairs should be "shaded" like the ones you used at the Gym.

Finally, that line of bushes north of the Pokémon Center and Mart looks awkward. You should consider simply moving the terrace backwards (or remove the terrace all together). On another side note, when planning your city or town, Pokémon Centers and Marts should not be that far removed from the main part of the town. To elaborate, notice how you stuck your Center and Mart in the rear end of the city. This is far "removed" from the entrances to the city, and should be avoided (unless, in this case, the main entrances to the city were on the north end, which in this case is not advised).

All in all, I see some tile mistakes and a bit of flower spam, along with some non-canon raised land that doesn't really fit in... but it's an improvement from last time, at least. Keep it up!

For a map of its type, I'll rate it... 6/10. (keeping in mind that I am a very picky critic)

Hope that helped!
-Lyzák
Old March 17th, 2011, 03:14 PM
NurseBarbra
くら くら?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NurseBarbra
Quote:

See attached.
First off, Rate a map even if its been rated, Or go back and do maps which are skipped.
Secondally, While the layout is great, the city still has a blocky feel to it.
There are some tile errors and tree shading errors aswell, Which are in red in the attachment, Everything in the white boxes I think either need to be replaced or removed altogether,The small pond beside the gym has no way of getting to it, and flowers circled in blue should be moved around a bit.Try to be a bit more random with the mapping,Example:

If I were to ask which was better, most people would say the right side map.
(credits: link12552)
So yes, to the rating. I'll give:
2.5/2.5 for town planning,
.5/5 for detail
2/2.5 for mapping ability,
5/10 :Total
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map name: Route A and Lanat Village
Game: Evanesce ( Firered engine )
Comments: I HAVE fixed the tile errors in Route A and Lanat village, And It is fully playable.
Credits to:
Alstair for the grass.
zetavares852 for the tileset collection
anyone on zetavares852's list who owns the tiles.
Spoiler:

Attached Images
File Type: png Example.PNG‎ (469.1 KB, 27 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old March 17th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Lyzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseBarbra View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map name: Route A and Lanat Village
Game: Evanesce ( Firered engine )
Comments: I HAVE fixed the tile errors in Route A and Lanat village, And It is fully playable.
Credits to:
Alstair for the grass.
zetavares852 for the tileset collection
anyone on zetavares852's list who owns the tiles.
[picture removed due to new user restrictions]
Since in general you seem to have mapping pretty much down pat, I'm going to critique the other details of your map.

First off are the trees. Since you are in a firered engine, there is no three-dimensional camera, and so the trees you are using, which overlap as if they were three-dimensional, look awkward. Consider using a different tileset for trees, or edit them. In addition, while you do a good job for the most part mixing the three "species" of trees you use, I noticed that in some places you just repeat a checkerboard-like pattern of trees over and over. Having this predictable pattern in conjunction with the randomness of trees seen in other parts of the same map is very noticeable.

Also, waterfalls... I have so much crap to give to waterfall users. You shouldn't have a waterfall descending from a small pond like that. Where is the water coming from? The upper pond should be empty. In a large lake, a waterfall is acceptable because it can be inferred that rainwater is stocking the upper basin, but in this case you just have a small body of water at the top. I recommend removing the waterfall or adding an extension to the upper body of water that extends off screen, so the waterfall has a "source." In addition, the edges of the waterfall pass the edges of the upper "pond," and the waterfall and stillwater are two different colors.

Paths - be careful with them. You do a fantastic job along the routes of making them look random and natural, but when you get into the town-areas, you trip up on path width. The paths that run north-south are two tiles wide, but the paths that run east-west are one tile wide. Consider revising.

Finally, take a look at the back of the mountain, where it meets the trees. The left rear side is incorrect.

On a personal note, I've never been a fan of the oversized cave entrance, nor of blob-grass, but that's just me. If you like the effect of either/both, it's your call.

For mapping skills:
Natural - 6.5/10
Urban -7/10

For graphical appeal, 6.5/10.

I hope that helps!
-Lyzák
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Collen
I have returned.

Map Name: Dial Town
Comments: Dial Town is the second town in the game. It is located right next to Route 1 and borders the ocean. Due to it's spot on the island the game takes place on, it is often hit by storms. To the north is Route 2, and by extension, Cove Cave.
Spoiler:

Old March 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Lyzak

Well, on the off chance that your post is deleted because you didn't rate anyone, I'm going to give your map a once-over anyways.

At the risk of sounding like a troll...

First off, scrap the golden bridge. It's leading into the water... Use a dock instead.
Next, your map has next to no organization. The houses are just slopped around, the Pokémon Center and Mart a tremendous distance from each other... Also, houses don't belong on sand. You can't build a foundation in sand, the house would literally roll onto its side, if said storms come through. The water has no border (dark water isn't a border. Rocks are), and what is a small, conveniently square patch of grass doing in the sand under the Pokémart?

The seaweed on the rocks in the water looks awkward, but aside from that, I don't see any tile errors off the bat.

For a natural look, I give it a 3/10.
For urban planning, I give it a 4/10.
For technical details, I give it a 2/10.
For aesthetic appeal, I give it a 6/10.

Hope that helps.
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:50 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collen View Post
Map Name: Dial Town
Comments: Dial Town is the second town in the game. It is located right next to Route 1 and borders the ocean. Due to it's spot on the island the game takes place on, it is often hit by storms. To the north is Route 2, and by extension, Cove Cave.
Spoiler:
Well I haven't rated a map in a while, but I feel the quality of maps I see are getting worse, and worse.
I will try not to offend you, or anyone else, please remember I grade harshly. First off all, you have a lot of empty space, it's beyond the excuse of playability. Your flowers aren't placed nicely, but sporadicly done in an attempt to fill space. You can fix this problem by adding a couple of trees, and making your miniature montians bigger. Your mapping is very square, which can be done correctly, but in your case is a tad boring. Try spicing it up, and deviate from your norm. Your rocks on the ocean don't cut off the player, and the player is able to swim in the dark water. Which goes against nintendo mapping, but it is perfectly fine; it all depends on what type of map you want to make. You do how ever, have little, to no tile erros, and correct tree shading.
Playability(Done Corecctly): 3/5
Uniqueness: 6/10
Creativity: 5/10
Detail: 1/10
Misileanious erros(5 is little to none): 5/5
Planing: 7/10
Tiles/Pallets: 8/10
Overall 35/50 (C) 70%
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links