Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page Help Map Rating/Review Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old February 26th, 2012 (09:57 AM).
McLovin Waffles

This is a map for my upcomming Mod/Hack.

Name: Pokemon Dreamworld
Map: Route 2
ROM: Fire Red
Comments: I really liked this one. See the attachments to see the map.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png‎ (60.8 KB, 131 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old February 26th, 2012 (10:31 AM).
Beginner Hacker

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Gemini Pika:

Name: Mt.Omnita W-E Pass
ROM: Gold
Comments: A pass that passes through Mt.Omnita a major mountain in the Omnita region. This pass connects Helita Town to Torrain City. The east end is more barren with tall grass and trees growing along the edges. Also there are plenty of trainers along this path proving a tough endurance challenge for new trainers. The west end is much more diverse with a winding path going past small ponds and through tall grass. As well there are fewer trainers on this side. Caves dot the mountainside as well with caves interconnecting within the mountain. The two on the inner-most area of the mountain actually connecting both sides together.

Area's location in Omnita:
Spoiler:

Map (Warning! Very wide image):
Spoiler:
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1417/mtomnitawe.png
I like the custom town map. Anyway the map is great I can't really find anything wrong with it but I don't know if you did this on purpose or not but for the first two caves you can access you can just bypass them and ignore any event that could occur in those caves. 9.5/10

Name: No Name
Comment: My first map ever. This is not a hack, I'm just using this rom to improve my mapping skills to make a quality hack.
Map:
Spoiler:

Old February 26th, 2012 (11:27 AM).
The Evil Queen
Moderator, CS

Quote originally posted by onelifeleft:

8/10

I like the shape of the mountains and the use of trees looks natural, and the pallette and tiles look great

However, there is a lot of explorable mountain which doesn't really lead anywhere (unless of course there are events or something). Also the pond area looks quite small, and could maybe be expanded, leading to an item or something to make it have reason.
Old February 26th, 2012 (02:14 PM).
McLovin Waffles

Quote originally posted by Dark pokemon:
Comment: My first map ever. This is not a hack, I'm just using this rom to improve my mapping skills to make a quality hack.
Map:
Spoiler:
*Image*
The first thing I noticed about this map, is that there is a lot of empty space. I know there's not much to fill it with in Gold, but you should try anyway, or make the map a little smaller. Other than that, I don't have anything else to say. I'll give your map a 6/10.

Here's another map I made today for my hack/mod.

Map: Route 3
ROM: Fire red
Comment: Thanks to Wesley FG for making this awesome winter tileset public. See the attachments for the map.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png‎ (62.7 KB, 146 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old February 26th, 2012 (02:30 PM).
La tristeza es mi sangre
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to The Prince of Sweet Sorrow
The first thing I noticed about this map, is that there is a lot of empty space. I know there's not much to fill it with in Gold, but you should try anyway, or make the map a little smaller. Other than that, I don't have anything else to say. I'll give your map a 6/10.

Here's another map I made today for my hack/mod.

Map: Route 3
ROM: Fire red
Comment: Thanks to Wesley FG for making this awesome winter tileset public. See the attachments for the map.
You need to work on this map alot more; all it has is ground, trees and grass all placed in a square-like manner. I'm not going to lie - it is boring to look and play through that map. You can't have grass all over it, getting through all those battles would be tedious. Its shape is square; I think it needs to have some kind of better pathways, less grass & more special "twists" like flowers (e.g.)

Here's my map; I whipped this stuff after nearly 2 months of break, and I finally found the inspiration to continue my work onto my hack.

Hack Name: Pokemon Aegis
Map: Velonoth Hills
Credits: Kyledove, (!) zein (!), scarex, redex, Alistair and myself
Spoiler:
Old February 27th, 2012 (01:55 PM).
The Evil Queen
Moderator, CS

Quote:
Spoiler:
I think this map is 8.5 or 9/10

There are some issues though I think.

Sign placement - 3 of the signs are impractical (in the middle of the path) or facing trees.

Grass - I think I can see 3 types of grass, in my opinion they don't look good clustered together - perhaps if they were separated it would look nicer. Although I guess you are trying to make a 'natural' pattern.

Puddles - they have a very bright palette, they were the first thing I saw when I looked at the map and they should be the least prominent features.

Tree placement - Around the border your tree placement is great, I like that bit. However, in the sparser areas I think it would look more natural and pleasing to see a few trees grouped together. In lots of the map it looks like you've been keen on using every type of tree you could. I also think having so any single, small trees on their own looks bad and like filler.

On the plus side I do like the variety and originality of the tiles used, there is a lot of difference in all your trees which you don't often see in hacks. No tile errors (except the signs). The complexity of the map is good too, especially how there are multiple paths.
Old March 3rd, 2012 (01:20 PM).
I know who you are.

My Rate
Spoiler:
I like the map, has good placement and looks very natural, however when it comes to playability, it appears you merely come out of the cave or route beneath and simply walk a few tiles into the opposite direction meaning the rest of the map has no real need or use, and its unlikely players will even explore that area.

Otherwise everything else looks great, 7.5 out of 10

My Map
Name: Unnamed Hack
Map: Empire Isle Port
ROM: Firered
Comments: Urm, basically you come off the boat at the port, come out and venture you way north into a small village. First map I've made in over half a year, found an old ROM of mine with nice palette changes and used that.
Attached Images
File Type: png Empire Isle Port.png‎ (111.4 KB, 149 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old March 3rd, 2012 (03:22 PM).
On vacation

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lyzo
Quote originally posted by Ray Maverick:

You need to work on this map alot more; all it has is ground, trees and grass all placed in a square-like manner. I'm not going to lie - it is boring to look and play through that map. You can't have grass all over it, getting through all those battles would be tedious. Its shape is square; I think it needs to have some kind of better pathways, less grass & more special "twists" like flowers (e.g.)

Here's my map; I whipped this stuff after nearly 2 months of break, and I finally found the inspiration to continue my work onto my hack.

Spoiler:
I've seen a few of your maps and you're a great mapper. You're maps always look delicious, I want to eat them

Apart from 1 maybe 2 tile errors I won't be talking about this map graphically seeing as, well I just really like it.
Spoiler:

Tile errors:

Mountain middle, not sure if you intended it this way or not... That's why I said maybe 2 tile errors.

You used a grass mountain tile here while I think that wasnt supposed to be used here?

That's it

So instead, I want to talk about it's playability.
Because there's something that bothers me...

The amount of small passages in the path of the map. I always see route maps as a path or multiple paths that a player must follow to get to a new area. Paths should be difficult and varied, so that the player isn't bored. This is done by turns, wild grass, trainers, obstacles... whatever. However use too much and a route becomes tedious and irritating. Another thing that makes a route irritating, is if it's hard to navigate through. If you bump into a side every step it's annoying to walk through. You have a lot of these narrow 'passages' in your route where there's only 1-2 movement blocks to get past. So maybe you want to open it up more? Another thing that causes bumping is the small 'holes' at the side of the path. These are caused by natural placement of trees and small trees. Players easily walk into these holes also causing the bump issue, because they have to walk out of them again.

It's not absolutely necessary to take these things out, but I do think that it makes playing the map more fun. It may also seem nitpicky, but it's all I could think of, because unlike swiftsign I quite like the large diversity of trees and grass + the puddles :p

Thank you The Blueprint !!!
Old March 6th, 2012 (07:35 PM).
And Flounderp too!

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by DaleH771:
My Map
Name: Unnamed Hack
Map: Empire Isle Port
ROM: Firered
Comments: Urm, basically you come off the boat at the port, come out and venture you way north into a small village. First map I've made in over half a year, found an old ROM of mine with nice palette changes and used that.
My Rating:
Spoiler:

PROS:
- the palette is quite welcoming but still wild, it fits very well
- as far as I can see it's well put together from a technical point of view
- there aren't too many grass-traps, most grass is optional (good when there's no known Pokecenter around)
- it conveys atmosphere well and is convincing

CONS:
- it's somewhat daunting for an intro to a new area; most of the grass is going to remain filler since it's not easily accessible
- the pickets near the bottom may be a little irritating and are kind of pointless in my opinion
- the trees get monotonous near the top
- this is a nitpick (aren't they all): my rule is that if a pond doesn't have an area behind reachable only by surfing, can be avoided, and isn't the home of a rare pokemon, then it might as well be a puddle or a clump of trees.

SUGGESTIONS:
- give it a few run-throughs in-game and see what areas might be annoying to pass
- cut down on some of the grass, or give it a specific shape or arrangement (method to your madness)
- extend the water to block off that little hidden item area in the top left
- make sure the player can't surf away into the sea if they're not supposed to? It doesn't seem completely blocked down the bottom.

RATING:
- 8.5/10

My Map
Map Name: AGUIL REGION
Name: Pokemon Sunray
ROM: Was Emerald, now to be FireRed
Comments: I suspect the navigable area may be too tall/wide, but I'm having trouble deciding what to remove. The region is based on a real-world area, if you can guess it then I'm doing it right. This map is the 2nd (lower) of two regions planned for Sunray. The long, vertical city at the bottom left houses the Pokemon League; apart from them there are only 3 official gyms in this region, and several unofficial ones.
Any advice on any aspect of anything is greatly appreciated.
A list of town/city names for the curious:
Spoiler:

From top to bottom, strictly by tile height. Left first when equal height:
Lords Town
Rosebud Town
Columbine City
Haven City - Leaders Fidel&Raul
Basil City - Leader Silva
Quetzal Town
Prince Town
Domino Town
Valley Village
Ascent Town
Viewpoint Town
Bridge Town
Aire City - Leader Cristina
Saint Cliff City - Pokemon League
Rapa Nui
Terra Del Fuego
Attached Images
File Type: png Aguil Map.png‎ (7.9 KB, 70 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old March 10th, 2012 (07:54 AM). Edited March 10th, 2012 by Outkin.
OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by GoGoShinyDunsparce:
My Rating:
My Map
Map Name: AGUIL REGION
Name: Pokemon Sunray
ROM: Was Emerald, now to be FireRed
Comments: I suspect the navigable area may be too tall/wide, but I'm having trouble deciding what to remove. The region is based on a real-world area, if you can guess it then I'm doing it right. This map is the 2nd (lower) of two regions planned for Sunray. The long, vertical city at the bottom left houses the Pokemon League; apart from them there are only 3 official gyms in this region, and several unofficial ones.
Any advice on any aspect of anything is greatly appreciated.
A list of town/city names for the curious:
[/SPOILER]
Rating: 8

Reason: Looks good, my only problem iwith it is the north east, looks a bit crowded, not much too much a deal imo, but I don't see how it's connected to the other routes. Was this an acident or do you have a plan for getting trainers across? Likewise with the south west, how do you get there?
Suggestions: Make sure everything is connected, or maybe explain how one can get there.

Mine

Map Name: Knothole Village

Map Game: Firered

Comments: Starting town for the game. I'm planing on upgrading the tiles and maybe even spliting the map up. I think I could still add a few things, but what do you folks think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knothole village.jpg‎ (52.8 KB, 99 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old March 10th, 2012 (10:24 AM).
And Flounderp too!

Quote originally posted by Outkin:
Rating: 8

Reason: Looks good, my only problem iwith it is the north east, looks a bit crowded, not much too much a deal imo, but I don't see how it's connected to the other routes. Was this an acident or do you have a plan for getting trainers across? Likewise with the south west, how do you get there?
Suggestions: Make sure everything is connected, or maybe explain how one can get there.

Mine

Map Name: Knothole Village

Comments: Starting town for the game. I'm planing on upgrading the tiles and maybe even spliting the map up. I think I could still add a few things, but what do you folks think?
About mine:
Spoiler:
Thanks! Yeah, I've removed 2 towns from the Northeast to free it up a little. You get to the NE islands either by ferry from the Northern Region (which I've attached) or by boat from Terra del Fuego (down at the bottom right). The Southwest islands are in a similar situation, they're a post-E4 area also accessible by boat from beneath the Pokemon League building.

About yours:
Spoiler:
Pros:
- interesting short-grass tile in the forested area
- inclusion of grass and the cave entrance in the town itself - I like that!
- the entrance to the building at the bottom right is pleasant

Cons:
- squashed tree tiles at the top right
- weird open area to the left and right; does that lead out to a route?
- the houses look a little squashed, maybe try touching up the tiles a bit and importing the changed ones?

Recommendations:
- fix up the tile errors in places to make it look more natural
- put a border around the edges, or maybe a narrower connection

Rating:
7.5/10

My new map:
Spoiler:

Map Name: Narigo Region
Map Game: Pokemon Sunray (placeholder name, will change), FireRed Hack
Comments: This is the Northern Region, Narigo. I plan to remove a few towns. This region contains Gyms 1-4 and number 8 (Capitol City). The far north is locked in ice, the middle region is temperate, southwest is desert and southeast is tropical, like the northern half of Aguil.
Here is a list of cities/towns for the curious:
Spoiler:
From top to bottom, left to right by tile height:
Icelocke Town
Horizon Town
Ottow City - Leader Harper
Nouk City - Leader Asii
Origin Town
Capitol City - Leader Barackis
Osten Town
Brookburg City
Pyryte City - Leader Arnold
Geranium Town
Honeydew Town
Arroyo City - Leader Felipe
Mango Town

The tunnel at the very bottom leads to the Southern Region after the 4th badge is attained.
Attached Images
File Type: png Namerigo cut for FRed.png‎ (8.4 KB, 46 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old March 17th, 2012 (11:59 PM). Edited March 20th, 2012 by ~Poke~.
Hasn't played 5th gen yet.

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by GoGoShinyDunsparce:

My new map:
Spoiler:

Map Name: Narigo Region
Map Game: Pokemon Sunray (placeholder name, will change), FireRed Hack
Comments: This is the Northern Region, Narigo. I plan to remove a few towns. This region contains Gyms 1-4 and number 8 (Capitol City). The far north is locked in ice, the middle region is temperate, southwest is desert and southeast is tropical, like the northern half of Aguil.
Here is a list of cities/towns for the curious:
Spoiler:
From top to bottom, left to right by tile height:
Icelocke Town
Horizon Town
Ottow City - Leader Harper
Nouk City - Leader Asii
Origin Town
Capitol City - Leader Barackis
Osten Town
Brookburg City
Pyryte City - Leader Arnold
Geranium Town
Honeydew Town
Arroyo City - Leader Felipe
Mango Town

The tunnel at the very bottom leads to the Southern Region after the 4th badge is attained.
Rating:
Spoiler:
This map looks good, nothing really needs to change in my opinion.
However, two small suggestions:

Firstly, I think a route towards that tallest mountain (middle, slightly right) would be cool, it lets you have some mountain-climbing routes as well as some more caves. I would recommend approaching from the bottom if you do.

Secondly...

This route being here feels a bit unnecessary. Unless there's some sort of continuity requiring it to be there, I think that location would be better off connected to the route below.

Having said that, neither of them are real problems so I rate thee 9.6/10.

My map:
Ruby, just mapping practice.
Default tiles so credit to Nintendo.
I think this is a bit plain somehow, but I'm not sure what to add. I've decided skinny trees are not what it needs.
Oh and the selected person is the only one which isn't a trainer. She's just looking at a rock for no real reason, would probably have an event of some sort if this was going to be used.

Edit 2 days later: This place has really slowed down...

Old March 21st, 2012 (03:20 AM).
And Flounderp too!

Quote originally posted by ~Poke~:
Spoiler:

My map:
I think this is a bit plain somehow, but I'm not sure what to add. I've decided skinny trees are not what it needs.
Oh and the selected person is the only one which isn't a trainer. She's just looking at a rock for no real reason, would probably have an event of some sort if this was going to be used.

Pros:
- good number of trainers, doesn't seem too empty
- I like how it's mountainous and forested at the same time, it's cool the way it slopes up to the right

Cons:
- it seems a little too samey; maybe add some possible double battles or something?
- some of the tree shadows are a bit weird
- in my opinion it's too twisty, I think it's a mistake to not add some ledges to go down on the way back rather than traipsing through the grass every time, especially around all those trees. I would remove some of them, but that's just my personal preference

Recommendations:
- maybe make a grassy shortcut that avoids some of the trainers?
- maybe remove a few of the trees, make it less about colliding into things and more about battling (including double battles?)

Rating:
Spoiler:

8.8/10 - all I have are nitpicks, generally it's a good map! It could be more memorable though and could have more character.

Spoiler:

I don't have a map right now, but it is slow around here so I wanted to thank ~Poke~ for his rating by rating his map.
Old March 21st, 2012 (11:43 AM).
The Evil Queen
Moderator, CS

My map:

I actually really like this map, which is strange because I absolutely hate Ruby tiles.

You've varied the trees well, although the shadows could do with fixing, perhaps there could be a bit more variety though (smaller trees, bushes?).

The only irk I have with this map is there is a bit of one-tile pathways going on, such as by the caves and the stairs. Open those areas up a bit though and I think it's a very playable map.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10, practically perfect if you tweak things here and there. Great for a first map!

My map:

Map Name: Sander Docks

Map Game: My hack, Pokémon: Lost City (Fire Red base)

Comments: First 'large' town in the game, has two boat docks (Which were pain in the *** tiles to insert)

Spoiler:

Old March 29th, 2012 (03:19 AM).
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by SwiftSign:
My map:

Comments: First 'large' town in the game, has two boat docks (Which were pain in the *** tiles to insert)

Spoiler:

Review: A pretty nice map. I can't spot tile errors, but you might have problems with the border blocks because of the open ocean, unless the water is un-"surf"able. I like the placement of the houses, trees and the beach.
Rating: 9/10.
~~~
So, I came back here just to post one of the bunch of maps I have made in my spare time.
Map Name: Hovas City
Base: Emerald
Description: A medium-sized city near a huge forest and a bay.
Spoiler:
Old March 31st, 2012 (10:31 AM). Edited March 31st, 2012 by Spherical Ice.
Moderator, CS

Quote originally posted by Chiar:
So, I came back here just to post one of the bunch of maps I have made in my spare time.
Spoiler:
If I'm honest, I really like the concept of this map's layout. It looks quite nice and reminds me of a Mauville City styled city.

The only problems I really have is in the positioning of the entrance on the left and the paths. For the former, it's in an inconvenient place: make the entrance a few tiles lower to line up with those blue houses at the bottom.

For the paths, I'd make them more square, as remember they are manmade. I'd also make it so they go to all places of interest - lead it to the museum, connect it to the bottom exit, etc. You could also do with putting the flowers in clusters, and maybe add some bushes. That's about it though, nice map, just needs a bit of refining. :D If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 7/10. =D

Name: Dunsparce Valley
Base: FireRed
Map:
Spoiler:
Old April 3rd, 2012 (04:20 PM).

Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:

Map:
Spoiler:
A nice route.
It's a surf route without it having to be stuck in the middle of the ocean. I like the concept.
I notice one tiling error on the small cave-area in the top left.

Name: Rot Wood Forest
Map:
Spoiler:
Old April 3rd, 2012 (05:34 PM).

Quote originally posted by ChikoritaMudkipz:
A nice route.
It's a surf route without it having to be stuck in the middle of the ocean. I like the concept.

Map:
Spoiler:
A good map, but it needs more open spaces. Think about a real forest; it's not all one path, but intersecting paths and open areas as well.
Old April 7th, 2012 (01:46 PM).
Sea of Dreams - Redux
Silver Tier

A nice route.

Map:
Spoiler:
7.5/10, while I am digging your positioning of the trees, the grass seems to be too random. Which random grass is not typical in a pokemon game, at least with the style of mapping which seems to be conveyed elsewhere in your map. Other than that I am liking your placement. On a side note I like your tree tiles as well

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old April 7th, 2012 (10:09 PM).
Silver Tier

A nice route.

Map:
Spoiler:
Forests usually don't have just one path that's all of equal length, they have open spaces, and different paths. Rather than just a straight line from one part of the forest to another, add some more paths, so it's more mazelike. Other than that I really like the map, but it looks like it'd be quite annoying to have to get through all that wild grass. >_<
8/10
----------------------

Name: Azure Town
Base: FR
Comments: Today I decided to remake a map from my hack which I really didn't like, and I think it turned out all right. Suggestions?
Map:
Spoiler:

credits to zein, WesleyFG, XDinky, lalo0101.
Old April 9th, 2012 (07:49 AM).
The Evil Queen
Moderator, CS

Quote originally posted by chrunch:
Comments: Today I decided to remake a map from my hack which I really didn't like, and I think it turned out all right. Suggestions?
Map:
Spoiler:

The only thing I don't like about this map is the sign near the top-right house, how it's not near the path at all.

Tree placement is good, it's in keeping with your style. The Gym(?) tiles look a bit off to me, but the house tiles go nicely.

9.5/10. Practically perfect, and great play-ability.

Name: Un-named.
Comments: A small village in an upcoming hack, I wanted to mess around with the tiles I had made/edited/inserted to see how they look overall.
Map:
Spoiler:

Credits to Zein, chimcharfireworkd, PrinceLegendario (I think that's all?)
Old April 21st, 2012 (09:01 PM).
Puts the fun in dysfunctional

Nature: Quirky
Let's see how far I can go before I go mentally insane.
Dark pokemon's review:
Quote originally posted by Dark pokemon:
Map:
Spoiler:
Simply enough, the only thing I could say against this map is that it's beyond too open. You said it's your first map, and unless you intend on hacking the G/S/C games, I'd recommend mapping on Fire Red or Ruby. But, yeah, it's incredibly open. You can use the trees throughout the map to make it feel much more "closed," y'know? It'd probably help make that sign in the middle of the whole thing feel less out of place. Also, the path that you're using is incredibly wide. In a way, this gives the player a feeling of emptiness and can leave them bored. Also, all the trees are incredibly straight, leaving it to give it a man-made feeling. Unless the trees are within the city, they shouldn't be that straight for nature is random, and that randomness looks beautiful. I do believe Neti has a tutorial on natural mapping in the tutorials section. I don't have much else to say about this map. Final rating: 2/10
Ray Maverick's review:
Quote originally posted by Ray Maverick:

Spoiler:
There's really nothing I can say about this map(other than the mountain issue that was already mentioned). It is very nice, very natural looking. However, I feel like the kiosk type thing by the hatchet and stack of logs in the middle seems very out of place. It looks like it belongs in a marketplace instead of the middle of a wild route. But, I do like this map very much. Great job. Final rating: 8/10
~Poke~'s review:
Rating:
[SPOILER]
My map:

First and foremost, the paths are really bugging me. Like, the fact that they're incredibly small and seems very iffy. In my opinion, two decent-sized paths look much better than four blocky ones. Also, the one-tile stair tiles seem kind of constricting to me. I do, however, like the shape of the mountain. It seems to round off very nicely, so good job with that. :) Final rating: 5/10
SwiftSign's first review:
My map:

Spoiler:

I have a couple nit-picky things about this map. First off, the mushrooms in the top right-hand corner. No one is going to see them as they would be out of the player's view radius. :P Also, if the boat furthest to the right... is headed directly into a rock. I don't reckon you had any Titanic-themed events(jokes). The town itself is very nice. It's appealing to the eye, but the small things like the water border bugs me. You don't have a working water border. The tree placement seems very nice along with the mountain shape. Kudos on that one. :) Final rating: 7/10
Chiar's review:
Quote originally posted by Chiar:

~~~
Spoiler:
I like the idea of this map, but there are a couple things bugging me. There's the paths, being that the only main one seems to neglect other parts of the city, including what looks like to be the main attraction(elevated building). There seems to be a lot of open space within the city and there are no trees within the limits of the city. This would be fine if you had something like Celadon where the ground is paved, but the ground here is grass, so a bit of nature would make it look a lot better in my opinion. Final rating: 5/10
Spherical Ice's review:
Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:

Map:
Spoiler:
First thing: the "greyish" water seems incredibly out of place. It just doesn't seem to match with the rest of the set. The entirety of the route is incredibly straight and square. So, you've pretty much NAILED that Nintendo feeling. The paved path towards the bottom left is completely out of place, and it seems to clash with the rest of the map. I feel you could've been much more creative with the shape of the mountain; even Nintendo's aren't that square. But, this is strictly my opinion. The map, to me, feels VERY "vanilla." Final rating: 4/10
ChikoritaMudkipz's review:
Map:
Spoiler:
There seems to be a lot of straightforwardness in this map, making it look very man-made. Forests are wild and natural, and I don't get the feeling from this map. There doesn't seem to be any flowers in the map. The grass seems to be in very concentrated clumps and then several useless spots of it. All in all, this map could use a lot of work. Mainly on getting rid of that ridged straightness. Final rating: 4/10
Chrunch's review:
Quote originally posted by chrunch:

Map:
Spoiler:

I like this map very much. It's simple and I can't find any problems with it, other than the small tree, but you might not have one considering the bench and awesome looking lab/houses. The paths and elevation looks very natural as well as the tree placement. However, the sign by the most northern house would look better to the left of the house, in my opinion. This was very pleasing to the eye. :) Final rating: 8/10
And, finally, SwiftSign's second rating:
Name: Un-named.
Comments: A small village in an upcoming hack, I wanted to mess around with the tiles I had made/edited/inserted to see how they look overall.
Map:
Spoiler:

Credits to Zein, chimcharfireworkd, PrinceLegendario (I think that's all?)
I think this map is fairly decent. The grass path, I feel, could be split into two smaller paths. I feel like you'll be facing border issues in the north. The mountain in the right-hand side, it looks like a couple layers could be added to the very flat area to make it give it more depth. But, other than that, this map is fairly decent. Final rating: 6/10

After all that, I've got a very loose grip on my sanity. But, JUST enough to post my own map.
Name: Tetaken valley
Base: Fire Red
Comments: I attempted a fairly big map in order to get back in the swing of mapping. So, feel free to give all comments/criticisms/praise/brutality that you'd like. I'd love to know where you feel I can improve.
Credits: Game Freak
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | Project Leola

Old April 25th, 2012 (09:16 PM).

Quote originally posted by Winter Wonderland:
After all that, I've got a very loose grip on my sanity. But, JUST enough to post my own map.
Name: Tetaken valley
Base: Fire Red
Comments: I attempted a fairly big map in order to get back in the swing of mapping. So, feel free to give all comments/criticisms/praise/brutality that you'd like. I'd love to know where you feel I can improve.
Credits: Game Freak
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Interesting.
Wonderful map. Very wild looking, yet uniform and not confusing. My only gripe is the lack of tiles that show a transition between grass and mountain when they're on the same level. Other than that, well made.

Also, my forest looks man made because it is man made. The forest was carved out for the house and arches, but grass is starting to over grow the place.

Just sayin'

Name: No current name. (suggestions welcome)
Comments: The gate blocking the building opens after an event, the tiles get replaced.
Credits: So many people but mostly these guys
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=190748

Spoiler:
Old April 29th, 2012 (05:06 AM). Edited April 29th, 2012 by firekoopa.
Combat the Infinite

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to firekoopa Send a message via Yahoo to firekoopa
Interesting.
Wonderful map. Very wild looking, yet uniform and not confusing. My only gripe is the lack of tiles that show a transition between grass and mountain when they're on the same level. Other than that, well made.

Also, my forest looks man made because it is man made. The forest was carved out for the house and arches, but grass is starting to over grow the place.

Just sayin'

Name: No current name. (suggestions welcome)
Comments: The gate blocking the building opens after an event, the tiles get replaced.
Credits: So many people but mostly these guys
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=190748

Spoiler:
I guess I would give a 7/10

Well, I suppose the map is nice at second thought. At first the squarish trees and the open mountain space bugged me off. The forest I can live with, considering your explanation. Although, they really should look a bit wilder. Not necessarily very wild, but just a bit. The mountain part that can be seen by the player has to be worked on a bit more too. Unless you would want it to be a part of the "man-made" vibe you are trying to create, and with that I would suggest you to make parts of the mountain playable. I also have problem with the building, eg: the ones at the top-left. They are exactly the same and to me it feels just like putting flowers in straight lines.

Generally, I love the atmospheric the map holds, very heart-warming. But that can be simply the Tileset, too... Er... Yeah, and the detail with the benches and the roads are very welcoming too.

Oh, as a final note, the big stone staircase on the right looks kind of weird at the bottom, but that could just be a Tileset problem.

(I mentioned Tilesets twice, yet I do acknowledge that they might not count towards the Review itself.)

---

Map Name: Laboratory Area (although I'm looking for a better alternative)

Comments: Well, after a few years, I finally decided to download Advance Map (it was hell trying to find a working Link) and see what I could come up with. Considering my plans on perhaps making a Pokémon Hack in the future, I thought about designing the starting area. Personally I think I did a better job now.

Another few things you need to know. This map is not necessarily a town nor a route. Something in between, shall I say. It's a laboratory that's placed in the wild to study wild Pokémon in their natural habitat. That's why it's a wild mess. Most of the grass is inaccessible, but there is that little patch where you need Surf to get to. I plan on putting some very rare Pokémon there for those who pay a little bit attention.

I plan on having a lot of of invisible items on the ground as for the "clumsy Researchers".

As a final note, the stones were artificially placed to drive away ships and in process contaminate the water.

Mapshot:

Spoiler:
Old May 2nd, 2012 (12:01 AM).
That weird chick.

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by firekoopa:
Mapshot:

Spoiler:
*image*
First of all, I love the concept of this map, I like how you implemented both town and route features, without actually placing grass in every single little space on your map. Good job.
The grass placement is good, and I think the houses are placed well too. But there are also a few little things I'm not overly fussed about. The flowers, for one thing. I know you said that this place is overgrown and stuff, but if you narrow it down a little it would look better imo. That's about it actually, I quite like this map.
Rate: 7.5/10

And here you go guys, this is mine:
Spoiler:
(remove space after h, first time poster!) h ttp://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w408/AllyJacqui/Map1.png

This is Alusru Town, aka The starter town for the protagonist. Professor Oak currently resides here, since he heard about sights of Pokemon with different colours here. One of your rivals lives here too.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)