Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 7th, 2013 (11:18 PM).
Neti
Follow @PokeNeti on Twitter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by MiniMinum:

Map: Laroth Region
Style: D/P/Pt
Credits: Houndoomed/ Paintbrush (Sometimes I wish I didn't have a Mac..)
Comments: PLEASE NOTE: I made this at midnight as a practice for mapping (although I eventually fell in love with the region... ' ), so I KNOW that there are MANY screw-ups and things that should not be there. I just want a review of the map IN GENERAL, because I will eventually make a final product of the region, without the errors. So, PLEASE DO NOT hate on those pesky little things. Thanks!

Spoiler:

Ok, let me have I try on rating a region map
First of all, the previous rating you got already covered one important thing: There's a lot of caves etc.. The amount itsself is not a problem in my eye, but the fact that you HAVE to go through most of them might be a little annoying. But could also have to do with the style of your hack, you have to decide for yourself. But you might want to consider moving some of them to side-routes and make special events in them.

One more thing that might be improved is the shape of the land itsself. In my opinion it's a little to smooth. If you look at real coasts, those are usually edged and stuff. You know what I mean? I can't explain it any better since english is not my mother tongue :p

Now for the good things:
What I really like is the fact that you placed your caves with sense. Now don't get confused because of what I said before :D I mean the caves are on the routes where those routes cross a mountain on the map... That makes a lot of sense, right? Still not everybody takes that in mind...

Also the route layout itsself looks nice to me. Maybe there's some parts where you have a lot of options to get from point A to B, but if you block those paths with people, cut trees, ledges etc then your world won't get too confusing. Because if there's too many routes you can take the player will not know where to proceed.

Quote originally posted by chrunch:

Map Name: Maroon City
Game: FireRed BPRE
Spoiler:

I don't like this map very much, it's meant to be a city but I feel that it's not very city-like. Any suggestions are welcome.
FIrst of all, I've once written a tutorial where the differences between mapping villages, towns and cities are described (among other things). Unfortunately the images are gone... I would have to reproduce them...
Well, what I wanted to say is that in my eyes your map would be considered a town, not a city. It's medium size, has a lot of space between the buildings, most buildings are not very large. And you have a more or less "straight" path to go through the town, you don't have to wind around a lot of corners.

But for a town, I think your map is good. You might want to explain to us what that building at the top left is? I'm curious
Other than that I like the pond and how the path winds it's way through the town. It's not straight, what makes it look... beautiful. Yup that's the best word to describe it I think :p
I also like the placement and diversity of your bushes and flowers.

Now for the improvements:

Why is the "PC" on the right side of the PC mirrored? You might want to change that.

And then my favorite thing to critisize: Most of your trees are perfectly aligned in a grid-like pattern. You might want to leave some spaces or at least move every second row of trees one block to the side. The connecting-blocks are very easy to make. Maybe my block-editing tut is still online, check my signature. If not... You will find others.
Old October 7th, 2013 (11:46 PM).
Serperion
The Fallen King

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by chrunch:
Map Name: Maroon City
Game: FireRed BPRE
Spoiler:

I don't like this map very much, it's meant to be a city but I feel that it's not very city-like. Any suggestions are welcome.
As much as I will credit you on the overall feeling of the City I don't feel like it should be a city, I mean consider actual Pokemon games, this place has three generic houses and two places of interest, Dewford Town had the same thing essentially so you may want to consider down-grading it to a Town or building bigger, also that water surface seems a bit odd, it is just, it's so Kanto Region, I guess is the term it's not really fitting in with the rest of the scenery and has a very blocky appearance, although it's nothing a little touch-up can't fix.

Overall this map looks pretty good just don't consider it a City at the number of houses.

An edit to my previous map, Region 22, now featuring 3 large landmasses, I divided up the map so it had about 5+ cities on the main Landmasses, also for those wondering the player starts in the Northern-most city on the Eastern Peninsula and works their way down to the Southern-most City, heads north to the city that is almost on its own, the 2x2 with four connectors then to the northern city on the Western one and then head into the Middle Peninsula and goes down the left side and crosses over to the Western Peninsula where they work their way back up to that very northern City, finally they go down to that City on it's own island on the West which is the Pokemon League (That's if you were to aim to go through the region's gym ASAP). Other Towns and Cities which are not on that path feature stuff like; The Pseudo Legendary Pokemon, Safari Zone, Pokemon Contests, etc.

Spoiler:

Should Beauty ever be my best feature I would simply die
Old October 8th, 2013 (03:22 AM).
Neti

Quote originally posted by Serperion:
An edit to my previous map, Region 22, now featuring 3 large landmasses, I divided up the map so it had about 5+ cities on the main Landmasses, also for those wondering the player starts in the Northern-most city on the Eastern Peninsula and works their way down to the Southern-most City, heads north to the city that is almost on its own, the 2x2 with four connectors then to the northern city on the Western one and then head into the Middle Peninsula and goes down the left side and crosses over to the Western Peninsula where they work their way back up to that very northern City, finally they go down to that City on it's own island on the West which is the Pokemon League (That's if you were to aim to go through the region's gym ASAP). Other Towns and Cities which are not on that path feature stuff like; The Pseudo Legendary Pokemon, Safari Zone, Pokemon Contests, etc.

Spoiler:

Man, that's a big region map. Can you even put that into a rom? Just asking :D

Actually I have nothing big to complain about, well done.
Maybe you want to add some caves etc.? Those are usually marked on the region map.

Oh and you might want to remove the swastika on the left :D
Old October 8th, 2013 (03:32 AM).
MiniMinun
Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!

Spoiler:
Wow, I really like what you did with it! Even though the first version was great, I'm pretty sure I like this one much better. The river is a nice addition and would make traveling through your region much more interesting. Again, there seems to be a lot of towns and routes, but part of me actually likes that and it could be not a problem depending on the style of your hack (Maybe it's more of an exploration game?). Anyway, again it looks like you put a whole load of effort inot this, so good job! 9.4/10

Re to my map: I guess you could say there are many dungeons, but the only ones you really need to travel through are the three central ones, which are two caves (One which is very small like the Oreburgh gate) and a forest. Most of the others are minor places that you could visit on your own time or that you need to go investigate because of the evil team, strange occurrences, etc.
Old October 9th, 2013 (01:54 AM).
Serperion
The Fallen King

@ Neti and MiniMinum

Thanks for reviewing my map, also thanks Neti I fixed up the quad-route section so it looks significantly less "symbolic", for the mean time I've moved back into some FireRed designs, since I'm going for things out of the ordinary Pokemon Maps, here is a Shanty Desert Town found, wait for it...

Surprise, Surprise in a desert. Anyways as you can see it is in the middle of a passage and there have been recent shady characters passing through, had to edit some buildings to fit in with the colouration.

Game: FR
Name: Shanty Town
Spoiler:

Old October 9th, 2013 (02:14 AM).
Neti

@ Neti and MiniMinum

Thanks for reviewing my map, also thanks Neti I fixed up the quad-route section so it looks significantly less "symbolic", for the mean time I've moved back into some FireRed designs, since I'm going for things out of the ordinary Pokemon Maps, here is a Shanty Desert Town found, wait for it...

Surprise, Surprise in a desert. Anyways as you can see it is in the middle of a passage and there have been recent shady characters passing through, had to edit some buildings to fit in with the colouration.

Spoiler:

Okay, since I've been mapping a whole desert region I feel kind of qualified to rate this :p

So... The main problem probably is the size of the map, which limits your possibilities to create an interesting shape. But that's generally hard to do with such a small map.

Another problem with the map size is the number of houses. There's way too many of them for such a small village in my opinion. Also, they all look the same, try varying the placement of doors and windows.

Another thing that strikes my eyeballs is the complete abscence of decoration. No rocks, no signposts, no plants. And yes, I would consider adding plants in there. Why? When humans live in a desert, then there's usually an oasis in place and that means plants grow there. Of course you shouldn't add huge trees, but some small bushes or maybe palms and cacti (if you add them to your tileset).
Old October 10th, 2013 (02:46 PM).
demondismon
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Quiet
@ Neti and MiniMinum

Spoiler:

i guess ill rate this map
Spoiler:
this map is awesome i rlly love dessert type maps, cause there rare and it goes to show how much detail people really try to put into the map, the colors blend really nice like and the map is not really linear. i'd have to rate this 9.6/10

ok guys i really need your help with this one THIS MAP IS UNFINISHED therefore please keep in mind im posting to see what you guys can tell me of the map so far,and so you guys could give me some ideas on where i could put some thing and some other ideas.
map name: lumanic city
game: fire red
extra:again please pm me some ideas on where i could trow some thing's or pm me some tiles you think i could use to make the map look nicer (of coarse credit will be givin) or just when rating tell me what i could do and where i could add/change some thing's..
map:
Spoiler:
Old October 11th, 2013 (12:04 AM).
Espeonage
Ninja Espeon

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by demondismon:
ok guys i really need your help with this one THIS MAP IS UNFINISHED therefore please keep in mind im posting to see what you guys can tell me of the map so far,and so you guys could give me some ideas on where i could put some thing and some other ideas.
extra:again please pm me some ideas on where i could trow some thing's or pm me some tiles you think i could use to make the map look nicer (of coarse credit will be givin) or just when rating tell me what i could do and where i could add/change some thing's..
map:
Spoiler:
[IMG]too few posts to have it in my post[/IMG]
Rate:
Spoiler:
All I can really say is that the trees are probably a bit too well organised. More arbitrary and natural using unaccessable green-space to your advantage. If there are tiles that are blocked off, then put some stuff there, liven it up so that it looks normal instead of a bunch of trees.
Also, I'd have a bit of an idea in mind for a city before I make it. Firstly, you don't want a grid, but you do want uniformity as that is what looks more natural in a cityscape. Also space out your points of interest as that prompts exploration of the city. Not going to give any sort of number rating though as it is unfinished.
Old October 11th, 2013 (08:41 AM).
NurseBarbra
くら くら?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NurseBarbra
Quote originally posted by demondismon:
i guess ill rate this map
Spoiler:
this map is awesome i rlly love dessert type maps, cause there rare and it goes to show how much detail people really try to put into the map, the colors blend really nice like and the map is not really linear. i'd have to rate this 9.6/10

map:
Spoiler:
Okay so I know this map is unfinished so I'll give you some pointers.
First off, Get rid of the grass. If you want to have a hidden area or whatnot put it north of the city in a small grove style thing. Doesn't need to be big.
Secondly, rid yourself of those god awful trees. Having so many different styles just makes it seem less realistic. (It also takes up space on your tileset). Try limit yourself to 2 different types of trees. Use the more tropical looking trees elsewhere, maybe on an island. Use the taller trees in a rain forest or an actual forest.
Thirdly, get rid of all the white and use an unused tile to plan your roads out. Remember, villages and towns go with the well trodden path, Citys are planned. They don't need to always be making 90 degree turns but it helps to know your layout so you don't get stuck at a later date.
Fourth, the random rocks make no sense to the left hand side.
Apart from this, the pallets work well together which is more than can be said about other maps, so I'll give it a 5/10, mostly because it's unfinished.

Map Name: Cana City (Cana is a type of orange flower)
Map Game: Pokemon Fire Red with heavy modifications to every pallet.
Comments: This took a hell of a while to get everything inserted and correctly mapped so yeah.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Old October 11th, 2013 (07:49 PM).
Serperion
The Fallen King

Quote originally posted by NurseBarbra:
Map Name: Cana City (Cana is a type of orange flower)
Map Game: Pokemon Fire Red with heavy modifications to every pallet.
Comments: This took a hell of a while to get everything inserted and correctly mapped so yeah.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
From what I can see this is definetly an industrious city so I'm wondering, why does the gym have no door and why is there no large house we can access, those small ones are... well small. Other than that it looks pretty good

9.5/10

Map Name: Juruan Metropolis
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: This map is Big, like really big, to put it into perspective I had to take 4 individual Snips to get that image kind of big.
Spoiler:

Old October 12th, 2013 (02:24 AM).
Winter Wonderland
Puts the fun in dysfunctional

Map Name: Juruan Metropolis
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: This map is Big, like really big, to put it into perspective I had to take 4 individual Snips to get that image kind of big.
Spoiler:

Okay, so let me start off by saying that I truly appreciate the squareness of this map. Other people may discredit you as a mapper for it, but I firmly believe(and I ranted to Countryemo about this a few days ago) that naturalism and squareness has its place, squareness being in cities and such, naturalism being in wild routes and forests. So, with that, let's begin.

One issue bothering me is that you seem to have used the same repeating FRLG grass tile over and over. FRLG come with five different grass tiles, typically, what I do, is block 'em into a 2x2 block(I almost never use the fifth one, because I like even numbers), and then line the first layer of your map like that. It keeps variety within your map.

Next on the list is all the open space. There are two ways to combat this: you can either condense the map in its entirety for the sake of having less space, or you can fill them up with things like flowers and trees. I feel that, with this map in particular, a nice feature to have would be to use the picket-fence tile to give everyone(or most everyone) a backyard. It would make this feel like a much more suburban feeling. The backyards could be filled with any number of things, from ponds to little gardens, or trees. Of course, this would mean expanding the map.

I love the way you made two story houses using the basic house; I have NEVER thought of doing that.

The next issue I have is the repetitive nature of the mountain towards the top, and the bottom one(although this one is done to a considerably smaller degree). The mountain is literally the same pattern repeated over and over. That looks too man-made, and mountains are naturally occurring structures, so while your city should be square, your mountain should not.

Next up is the path and the body of water. I feel, since this seems to be a well-established city considering the amount of houses involved, that you should ditch the dirt road and go ahead and use one of the city paths. There are three to choose from; personally, I would use the brown brick path. That would finish the suburban look. Not only that, but you could stand to make the paths literally ONE tile wider, it'd make a world of a difference, in my opinion. As for the body of water, I feel like you meant this to be a river. In order for this to look proper, I feel you should widen it a liiiittle bit. Maybe by one or two tiles all around.

Lastly, that bush. I get it's supposed to border the city, but I think the white picket fence would be a much better replacement and would compliment the concept of the city much better. Oh, and there's a complete lack of the 1-tile wide, 3-tile tall trees, I feel that would help as well.

I feel that applying these changes would certainly help your map have a much more aesthetically appealing map. Best of luck to you, Serperion.

Final rating: 5/10

Now, for my map

Name: Fordekkin Woods
Game: The Leola Project - Fire Red BPRE 1.0
Credits: None, other than Game Freak.
Comments: This is my first attempt at making a forest, using the Viridian Forest tiles. I feel it came out fine, and I thought it'd be a better idea to include the other trees as well, considering normal forests aren't restricted to one kind of tree. Except for, maybe, the Red Wood Forest. Anywho, tell me where to improve since this is my first attempt using this tileset. I feel I have too much open space, but I know not how to fill it in.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | Project Leola

Old October 12th, 2013 (09:07 AM). Edited October 12th, 2013 by M.L.
M.L
Busy atm

Quote originally posted by Winter Wonderland:
Final rating: 5/10

Now, for my map

Comments: This is my first attempt at making a forest, using the Viridian Forest tiles. I feel it came out fine, and I thought it'd be a better idea to include the other trees as well, considering normal forests aren't restricted to one kind of tree. Except for, maybe, the Red Wood Forest. Anywho, tell me where to improve since this is my first attempt using this tileset. I feel I have too much open space, but I know not how to fill it in.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Ohk well i do find very little to complain about the map and I don't often see forests with FR tiles cause well they are Firered tiles but you do use them pretty darn well so anyways.
Its does feel very open but you cant do much about that mainly because you have alot of paths in the map, don't blame you as for how to make it look like their is not too much space well err you know sometimes you add a bit and then the map feels clutters try adding in trainers cause they do actually take up space and in parts where you fight them them that are feels less empty..
The map and the general structure is good and well like i said not much to complain about sad really! xD
Ill rate it like a 8-9/10
Only cause it feels like it needs something.

Well my turn for a map.
Im trying to get back into mapping so don't eat me alive.

Map name: Just a snow route
Credits: mostly zein..
Base: Firered
Map:Just so you dont judge the layout your supposed to go up over the mountains first because the bottom path is blocked so yea..
Spoiler:
Old October 12th, 2013 (02:40 PM).
Serperion
The Fallen King

@M.L.

I really like this map there isn't anything I can complain about it but just wondering are those rocks or stumps sticking out of the ground in the middle-southern portion of the map, I like pretty much everything about this map although I kind of find it odd there is a frozen pool of water there though that might just be because in most games those are only found inside, meh...

9.8/10

This is probably the smallest map I or most of you have made it's so small, it's a tiny little island town so it's pretty isolated, what's odd about it is that it has two incredibly important houses relevant to the story line. The northern house is where an old couple speak of their child leaving on a Pokemon journey who visits every now and again (That child is the champion). The other house appears empty aside from one concrete block however when the player is told of a password to the entrance to the villainous team's hideout this house is said entrance.

Map Name: Miloc Island
Map Game: FR
Spoiler:

Old October 12th, 2013 (07:20 PM).
Espeonage
Ninja Espeon

This is probably the smallest map I or most of you have made it's so small, it's a tiny little island town so it's pretty isolated, what's odd about it is that it has two incredibly important houses relevant to the story line. The northern house is where an old couple speak of their child leaving on a Pokemon journey who visits every now and again (That child is the champion). The other house appears empty aside from one concrete block however when the player is told of a password to the entrance to the villainous team's hideout this house is said entrance.

Spoiler:

My only real criticism is that islands aren't square. I'd play around with the sand strip around and maybe make it range fro 0-2 blocks wide to give more of a jagged feel. It also then gives you some possibility space to work with with the player. Also the back part of the island seems a bit bare, possibly some stairs from the sand strip would help use that space, otherwise just pretty it up a bit, two squares of flowers go a long way.
Old October 12th, 2013 (10:16 PM).
Serperion
The Fallen King

Quote originally posted by Winter Wonderland:
Now, for my map

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
This map is very reminiscent of Berry Forest from FR/LG and not to say that's a bad thing but it just seems that way. I wouldn't recommend using having the three trees cut out one of them probably the small thing ones are best to avoid for forests and wood. The two nearby exits which in reality require you to traverse the whole forest is a good idea but maybe put them at other sides than just the one because it seems like it's very weighted that way. Lastly since this is a Forest you might want it to twist and turn here and there, make people work for their way out.

Anyways good map overall

8.7/10

I got bored this morning and went web browsing and found that map of America using DP tools anyone else seen it, it's really quite good so I decided since the person there is probably from US of A why not take a crack at doing one for Australia, course the problem was when I found a suitable map... It required me to size down the cities and towns so they would fit, seriously Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney were pretty much one city because of how big they were... I did plan to expand the map out to compensate but I'm lazy so whatevs. Here is Australia with 26 Cities/Towns and Uluru.

Old October 12th, 2013 (10:33 PM).
Espeonage
Ninja Espeon

@Serp:

Lack of Broken Hill or Mount Isa is a bit disappointing. Both would give some cool looping connections.
Old October 12th, 2013 (10:42 PM). Edited October 13th, 2013 by Serperion.
Serperion
The Fallen King

@Espeonage

Yeh I'll be going back and restarting, I'm doing some maths to figure out the pixel dimensions I'll need for a Map of Australia to have an equal ratio of sizes to the American one, so don't worry for now that's all I can offer but the future one will have practically every city and Town I can fit and find on there

According to my results Austrlia is 789 x 675 pixels where Canada + USA + Mexico where 1044 x 1336, so not every Town and City will probably fit but there will be a lot hopefully

Ok this is the first upload of the map, so far I've included most locations with 9K+ people so that's why Victoria is filled to the brim and others like Western Australia are bare to the bone, anyways I've included several landmarks as well such as Uluru, GBR, Three Sisters, Twelve Apostles, Flinders Range, etc. Just look for them I will be including Mt. Kosciusko later as well as Wave Rock and a few others here and there, I'll probably find some town in Western Australia, Northern Territory and South Australia to fill in the gaps and leave NSW, QLD and Victoria where they are. Also found out we have 8 mainland States and Territories QLD, NSW, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia, Norhtern Territory, ACT and here is the little gibbon it's name is Jervis Bay. Never heard of it good neither had I until about 3PM today.

Anyways moving here is the first of several posts
Spoiler:

Old October 13th, 2013 (10:03 AM).
Neti

Quote originally posted by M.L:

Map name: Just a snow route
Credits: mostly zein..
Base: Firered
Map:Just so you dont judge the layout your supposed to go up over the mountains first because the bottom path is blocked so yea..
Spoiler:
First off, I really like that tiles. I think I have never seen any other ice tiles besides the one I used in my hack and rombase, and I really don't like them anymore :D But these are great.
Also the shape of the route and the mountains is great. There's enough room to walk, still it looks natural and interesting.
You might have a problem with your border blocks though... At the left you'll need trees for the border, but when travelling up the mountain those will cause a border error there.
Also, you can improve on your tree placement. They're just too perfectly aligned, like in a grid. Try adding some space inbetween and make new blocks that allow the diagonal placement of trees.
Overall a really good map, keep up the good work!

Now, it's time for me to show you a map of mine. I haven't been mapping for like 3 years now and just wanted to see what happended to my skills
This map was made using my work-in-progress rombase, to see if I'm missing any important blocks. I might remove one of the trees to get some more space in my tileset...
anyway, here it is:

Map Name: None, it's just for fun
Base: FireRed

Spoiler:
Old October 13th, 2013 (04:49 PM). Edited October 14th, 2013 by MiniMinun.
MiniMinun

Quote originally posted by Neti:
Map Name: None, it's just for fun
Base: FireRed
Spoiler:
Well, in general it's a pretty great map. The tree placement and the slopes are very well done. It seems to me that you have a pretty good grasp on natural map.. (Although I have no idea where that comes from, cause I'm a noob at mapping). The city layout is generally good, too. Maybe separate the two top ones, though?

Few minor things: The trees at the bottom and the top of the map seem a little straight compared to the ones closer to the town proper. And in the rock area, I find that the bushes don't really belong..maybe if you put splotches of grass around them? And finally, compared to the landscape tiles, which are amazing, the buildings kind of stick out in an awkward way.

Otherwise... Awesome job! You still are a pro after three years :D 9/10

Here's a random map I did cause I was bored:

Map Name: Random Route
Map Game: Emerald
Comments: I tried to snuff out those pesky tile errors, and I hope I caught them all. My real concern in this map is the sand paths... They look a little out of place. Could you give your opinion on that? Thanks
P.S. The small bush in the right of the map represents a cut tree, by the way.
Map:
Spoiler:

"Hope is like a piece of string when you're drowning. It just isn't enough to get you out by itself." -Perrin Aybara
Old October 13th, 2013 (07:24 PM).
Espeonage
Ninja Espeon

@Serp:

To give you some ideas, Coober Pedy and Alice will help connect up NT and SA.
Broome will give you some substance on the west coast, or a network of mining tunnels as that is all that really happens over there.
Old October 13th, 2013 (11:53 PM).
Neti

Quote originally posted by MiniMinum:
Well, in general it's a pretty great map. The tree placement and the slopes are very well done. It seems to me that you have a pretty good grasp on natural map.. (Although I have no idea where that comes from, cause I'm a noob at mapping). The city layout is generally good, too. Maybe separate the two top ones, though?

Few minor things: The trees at the bottom and the top of the map seem a little straight compared to the ones closer to the town proper. And in the rock area, I find that the bushes don't really belong..maybe if you put splotches of grass around them? And finally, compared to the landscape tiles, which are amazing, the buildings kind of stick out in an awkward way.

Otherwise... Awesome job! You still are a pro after three years :D 9/10

Here's a random map I did cause I was bored:

Map Name: Random Route
Comments: I tried to snuff out those pesky tile errors, and I hope I caught them all. My real concern in this map is the sand paths... They look a little out of place. Could you give your opinion on that? Thanks
Map:
Spoiler:
Thanks for the rating
Just to let you know: The trees at the top and bottom look so straight, because they actually are there for a error-free border. The ones to the side are straight as well, there was just more space to add MORE trees, so it doesn't appear that straight.

Now for your map:

It actually reminds me a bitof a map I once made for Pokemon Flame of Rage, the first route :D Even though I haven't seen it in a while, that was the first thing that came to my mind.
I really like the structure of this map. The right path wasn't clear at first sight, I had to look over it for a while. Really good use of the ledges!

Actually it's only small errors that I can complain about, the map itsself is very good. Those errors are:
- A tile error at the top right, where a grass tile is at the border of the mountain. The grass tile lacks the mountain border...
- And you will face border errors all around your map Have you every played that map? Maybe you've never taken border errors in mind if you haven't seen what happens ingame. If you understand that, you will also understand why I placed the trees in my map like I did.

I would rate this a 9/10
Old October 14th, 2013 (06:22 AM). Edited October 14th, 2013 by MiniMinun.
MiniMinun

Spoiler:
Not too too much to say about this, because it is a relatively simple map. But a nice simple map. Only thing to say would be that the island looks unnaturally square. Maybe play around with the sand at the bottom and maybe even the ledges? Also, since you don't have much space on the island, maybe open up and use the empty land behind the buildings? Of course, totally up to you though. Good map! 7.8/10

@Neti

Thank you for the good review Considering tile errors, I kind of screwed up. I had made an original picture of the map, then saw a bunch of errors, then made a new picture with them fixed. I deleted the original one. Just as I uploaded the map, though, I realized that I deleted the good one on accident But I didn't see that grass tile, so thanks. And concerning the map borders, I just wanted to have a review of the map in general. If it ever comes to actualy using the route, I will just make it a little bigger so the player won't be able to see the borders.
Again, though, thanks for the review!

"Hope is like a piece of string when you're drowning. It just isn't enough to get you out by itself." -Perrin Aybara
Old October 18th, 2013 (02:24 AM).
Serperion
The Fallen King

Quote originally posted by MiniMinum;7880791
[B
:
Map Name:[/B] Random Route
Map:
Spoiler:
I like the idea, it has a rather ancient feeling to it, like it's leading somewhere like some ruins with a secret inside, I can see a good combination of big trees, small trees, tall grass and path also I like the elevated areas around the south and east. Although don't have any tall grass the player couldn't otherwise reach like in the Very North section or South-Eastern. Otherwise this map is really good.

9.6/10

Got a ton of work done after 4 days of being away so here we are again with another update also thanks to Espeonage for that advice I'd already planned to include those cities but still good input, I'll be throwing in more stuff later on but right now I need to recover my shoulders are killing me.

Spoiler:

I'll leave you with this gift all

Old October 20th, 2013 (12:50 PM).
awipe1

Got a ton of work done after 4 days of being away so here we are again with another update also thanks to Espeonage for that advice I'd already planned to include those cities but still good input, I'll be throwing in more stuff later on but right now I need to recover my shoulders are killing me.

Spoiler:

I'll leave you with this gift all [/QUOTE]

I really like this map a lot! This looks very colorful and it really pops out! It is very plesent to look at.

On the other hand, I don't like how you have a lot of areas where it's just linear. For example near the left of the routes, there is just routes leading from town to town, it's too linear, I would appreciate it if you mixed it up a bit. Also I find there are TOO many towns. I think it is important to have a lot of towns in your game, but I don't think you should have this many. I think you should limit yourself to 20 or 25.

Other then that i think is map is great! I give you a 8/10

This is my map

NAME: Winnipeg
GAME: Pokemon Battle Brown (A ROM hack for Fire Red)
COMMENTS: This is the starting town to my own ROM. I took the tiles from a bunch of random people around the community (I credit those people on my page). I know there is a tile error in the top right but I made it so no players can see it, so I don't think it really matters.
MAP: Winnipeg.png
Old October 20th, 2013 (05:02 PM).
Serperion
The Fallen King

@Awipe1

If you didn't already know this is a map of Australia, due to the amount of cities in Victoria I made the cut-off for a location to be a city 30,000 pop.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links