The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
chriskid198
Happy New Year!

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orinjmate View Post
Now for mine
Name: Path 1
Hack: Hollow
ROM Base: Emerald
Comments: The flower tiles are currently in the process of being changed for blue versions of the ones out of errica's gym :D
Spoiler:
This map looks cool. Natural. Looks a little like a forest, you should add a way to get back to the start quickly, unless its one of those, "One-way Routes/Paths"". That log thats all alone there, looks odd, and stands out. Move the small ledge up 1/2 spaces and make it 1 tile higher, I think that will look good. Overall, I give it a 7/10

_ _ _ _ _ _

My map

Map Name: Route 1
Map Game: FireRed
Credits: GameFreak xD
Map:
I tried to do the shading, I think it looks okay

Last edited by chriskid198; October 22nd, 2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:38 AM
DrFuji
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Name: Path 1
Hack: Hollow
Comments: The flower tiles are currently in the process of being changed for blue versions of the ones out of errica's gym :D
Spoiler:
I'd like to start off by saying that I absolutely love the tiles you have used here, but some aspects of the map are a bit off in terms of their construction.

Review: There are a number of 'one-tile' paths present in your map (underneath the ledge at the bottom and top of the path in the centre). These paths restrict the movement of the player enormously and can generally be seen as an sign of bad mapping. I'd also like to note that the majority of your route that is not grassy is pretty resticted in comparission to the areas that have long grass - Have a look at the far right path leading out of the map, it has a width of two over ten tiles, where as the central grass patch has heaps of room to move. Try to keep your widths consistent if possible :D

Don't get me wrong, it seems like a nice map, but there are several possibilites to improve it.

Suggestions: Remove all of the one-tile paths from the map - At the very least you can do this by moving the ledge up by one and removing the two small trees at the top. Widen the paths that do not have any grass in them and attempt to keep and widths as consistant as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskid198 View Post
My map :)

Map Name: Route 1
Credits: GameFreak xD
Map:
I tried to do the shading, I think it looks okay :)
Review: No offense, but this map is extremely poor. Whilst I know you have tried, your results aren't very good.

Your main problem is the construction of the construction of this map - look at all of the empty and barren space - Ingame it is far larger than it looks and is generally unflattering. Unlike the other map I reviewed, you need less space. In addition to your spacing problems, giving the map a sense of direction would also help to make it realise its potential. What the map above does well is give the player a predestined path, which they can follow whereas a player in your game may wander around the boring empty areas with no knowledge as to which way to go.

The tall grass is also a bit on the nose - There is only one patch on the entire route and it is enormous. Space it out throughout the entire route as it will help fill the map and ensure that the player isn't frustrated by walking throught the massive glob in one go.

Finally, whilst you might think you have done well in terms of tree shading, I would argue against it. I can't really point out what needs changing at this moment due to time constraints, but have a look over all of the trees make up your frame and redo the trees in the middle.

Suggestions: Give the player a sense of direction throught the use of pathways rather than open space or sand/gravel instead of open grass. Fill it up with whatever you can imagine (Large trees, small tress, rocks, mountains, lakes, more ledges) the worldtileset is your oyster!

Don't be discouraged by this review: if we all built on our mistakes we would be all the better for it :D

Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
--As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:58 AM
HackDeoxys
night hunter

Send a message via Skype™ to HackDeoxys
Bumping my map, nobody rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackDeoxys View Post
This map is superb, as always, altariaking. I don't really like the tree tiles, they look unnatural and oddly colored, but I know you must have a reason to choses them. The mountain tiles are excellent, but it must be an awfully small mountain, compared to say...Mt. Cornet. I like how you put patches of grass even in places that don't really need any, it gives an excellent impression of nature.
Overall, a great map, 9/10.

--------------------------------------------------
My map.
Name: Moon Village (again)
Map Game: Pokemon ShadowStone (Firered)
Comments: I really wasn't happy with the old moon village, I remade it. Also, please don't make comments like "the trees are not very natural", because ShadowStone is gonna be mapped in Nintendo-ish style.
Spoiler:

Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackDeoxys View Post
Bumping my map, nobody rated.
Okay, I know you said don't say the trees aren't natural, but those small trees really look horrible in those big groups, even if you're mapping nintendo style. the big path kinda dominates the map, there's hardly any room to place something like a flower. D: The only decoration you've really put in are those small trees, and I think they look horrible in giant groups, you don't even have flower or bush.

Also, you're using the wrong tile, the "rocky" mountain one instead of what you're supposed to use on one tile.

On the other hand, though, I like the mountain shape, and it's a nice layout. :3
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Orinjmate
The Orinj of the Mate

Nature: Calm
Spoiler:

I quite like this map especially the range of trees, but the mountains are wrong, you should insert some with grass hanging over the top of them then that would look good. Also the bunch of thin trees at the bottom left looks un-natural. I like how you've laid out the mountains and the stairs on this map though. I would rate this map 7/10.

Now for mine:-
Map Name: Path 4
Hack Name: Hollow
Comments: If you can't notice for yourself this is a sort-of ledge puzzle map. There will be an old woman at the bottom with an abra who teleports you back to the the top if you want to go back to the top. I just realised that there are no flowers on the bottom half of the map so I just added some after this screen shot was taken. The flowers are to be replaced by blue versions of the ones in Errica's gym in Fire Red.

Spoiler:
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:05 PM
siper x
I'm Russia, Fear Russia

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Now for mine:-
Map Name: Path 4
Hack Name: Hollow
Comments: If you can't notice for yourself this is a sort-of ledge puzzle map. There will be an old woman at the bottom with an abra who teleports you back to the the top if you want to go back to the top. I just realised that there are no flowers on the bottom half of the map so I just added some after this screen shot was taken. The flowers are to be replaced by blue versions of the ones in Errica's gym in Fire Red.
Spoiler:
i actually like the map. and it is possale to make it to the bottom, and it isn't empty (except the flowerless bottom, but you said you added them) i give you a 10/10

Now mine, i have a city from orre (no custom tiles, so it is a house at the north, not a tree)
city name: Agate Village
rom base: ruby
hack: none as of yet (made it for fun)

it is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png agate village.PNG‎ (55.2 KB, 130 views)

Blood brother to Kroso
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Blaziquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by siper x View Post
i actually like the map. and it is possale to make it to the bottom, and it isn't empty (except the flowerless bottom, but you said you added them) i give you a 10/10
Now mine, i have a city from orre (no custom tiles, so it is a house at the north, not a tree)
city name:
Quote:
Agate Village
it is attached.

Rating: 3/10
This map is poor. First of all, the transition between mountains and water is terrible. Speaking of mountains, the aren't made properly. And there is NEVER a grass to bridge transition. You didn't use the right trees. Look at mapping tutorials.
------------------------------------------------
Name: Mt. Victora
ROM: Firered BPRE
Game: Emerald Skies
Map:
Spoiler:

Comments: A near-end game map. That cave isn't acsessable until you become the league Champion. There's four connecting maps, so don't worry about border errors. The trees and flowers are placeholders.
Credits-
- Kyledove- Tiles
- Alucus- Tiles
- NZ Fury- Tiles
- Cross Core- Tiles
- Wesley FG- Tiles
- Me
- Inserting some tiles, some custom palettes
- Flygon (Altariaking)- Inserting some tiles, some palettes

And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe...

Steam IGN: Hybrid Theory
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:40 PM
chriskid198
Happy New Year!

Quote:

city name: Agate Village

it is attached.
It looks good, but there are many tile errors with the cliffs, change them to a small cliff? I think thats the way you want it? I never played XD.
It looks empty, plain and pretty boring. Read/watch some Mapping tutorials.

2/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaziquaza View Post

This map is poor. First of all, the transition between mountains and water is terrible. Speaking of mountains, the aren't made properly. And there is NEVER a grass to bridge transition. You didn't use the right trees. Look at mapping tutorials.
Map:
Spoiler:

Comments: A near-end game map. That cave isn't acsessable until you become the league Champion. There's four connecting maps, so don't worry about border errors. The trees and flowers are placeholders.
Credits-
- Kyledove- Tiles
- Alucus- Tiles
- NZ Fury- Tiles
- Cross Core- Tiles
- Wesley FG- Tiles
- Me
I think this map is made well, looks empty though... And the small grass looks really green, and plain. What are the trees/flowers placeholders for? You should fill it up a bit more, place some small trees around the area. I really wanna play your hack! 8/10

_ _ _ _ _

My map:

Map Name: Route 1 V3
Credits: GameFreak...

Comments: Added more things into the map.

Last edited by chriskid198; October 28th, 2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Added Map.
Old October 31st, 2010, 06:21 AM
Kevin

Reviewed Map:
Quote:
My map:

Review: Well... There's shadow errors in the trees. =\ That is a major fix you would have to do. And the flower placement isn't that good either. The path is shaped a little weird... but I guess it isn't a major thing. And the trees don't look natural; they're too straight.
Suggestions: Fix tree shadowing, fix flower placement, make trees more natural, Add more tall grass, try and fix sand path shape. (=
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:57 AM
altariaking
Needs NO VMs...

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to altariaking
Quote:

It looks good, but there are many tile errors with the cliffs, change them to a small cliff? I think thats the way you want it? I never played XD.
It looks empty, plain and pretty boring. Read/watch some Mapping tutorials.

2/10.

I think this map is made well, looks empty though... And the small grass looks really green, and plain. What are the trees/flowers placeholders for? You should fill it up a bit more, place some small trees around the area. I really wanna play your hack! 8/10

_ _ _ _ _

My map:

Well, there are a lot of tree shading errors. The map is also too simple to get through, and there are big massive patches of long grass. Also, the ledges seem to straight. The map is also really empty, and I don't really like the flower placement. 0.1/10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Map name: Route 401
Map game: You aint getting outta me that easily...
Map base: FireRed
Credits: Alistair, Calis Projects, Chaos, VorteX, Zein and if I forgot anyone please tell me
Comments: First route, you come in from the right, up will be the next town you go too, and after that you will be allowed to progress through the left to the next route. Don't worry about the lack of wild Pokemon grass, there will be Pokemon in the sand.
Map:
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Yasushi Toshio
ヤスシトシオ

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Yasushi Toshio
Quote:
Originally Posted by altariaking View Post
Map base: FireRed Credits: Alistair, Calis Projects, Chaos, VorteX, Zein and if I forgot anyone please tell me
Comments: First route, you come in from the right, up will be the next town you go too, and after that you will be allowed to progress through the left to the next route. Don't worry about the lack of wild Pokemon grass, there will be Pokemon in the sand. Map:
Comment :
Very nice map, the little lake has a very nice shape
I really like this map, but it looks like on the top part of the map you have spent to
little attention to the mountain and walking area (not the lake, the lake is great)
because the mountain wall is to straight and the sign blocks the path a little .
In the center left area there are a bit too much white flowers imo.
But further great map!

Verdict :
Make the top mountain wall more natural, move the sign a little and delete some white flowers.

Rating :
7,8 / 10
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Fee Nicks
TekMage

Nature: Adamant
Quote:

Credits: Alistair, Calis Projects, Chaos, VorteX, Zein and if I forgot anyone please tell me
Comments: First route, you come in from the right, up will be the next town you go too, and after that you will be allowed to progress through the left to the next route. Don't worry about the lack of wild Pokemon grass, there will be Pokemon in the sand.
Map: [MAP]
At first glance, I really like this map. I like the design of the cliffs, and the fact that it branches off to the north there is nice.
However, this map does seem to suffer from something: it's too cramped. There's too many places which are one tile wide, and the places that don't suffer from this problem are either inaccessible (that large patch of dirt on the lower cliff) or just path tiles.
The lake is nice, but something should be put in between the bottom of it and the cliff face; it looks odd otherwise.
It would do wonders if you gave it ledge just a bit more space. It looks nice as is, and I doubt that that slight edit would significantly hurt it.
The straight cliffs don't really bother me, as most of them aren't actually going to be seen by the player (and the only one that is would mess up the trees below it too much).
So yeah; very nice aesthetically, but just get more space in there and you'll be set.
Grade: Put in more space / 10.

MEANWHILE:

Game: SMWCmon
Map Name: Midas Falls
Map Base(?): This one was made originally in a FireRed rom, but it's going to be remade in RPG Maker XP. Where does this fall in terms of this thread?
Comments: Given the nature of the project this is from, name-dropping something was a must. In any case, this is the middle leg of the river island area past which is the town the third gym is in.
Midas Falls.gif

Comments? I'll put in some more maps that I've made later on, but I kinda like these ones the best.
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:07 AM
leogrecchi

Quote:
MEANWHILE:

Game: SMWCmon
Map Name: Midas Falls
Map Base(?): This one was made originally in a FireRed rom, but it's going to be remade in RPG Maker XP. Where does this fall in terms of this thread?
Comments: Given the nature of the project this is from, name-dropping something was a must. In any case, this is the middle leg of the river island area past which is the town the third gym is in.
Attachment 57731

Comments? I'll put in some more maps that I've made later on, but I kinda like these ones the best.
The falls are a little strange (especially the left one, it just seems wrong).
Overall, a good map, but it would be better for late-game
another thing: maybe some flowers would do some good to the map
6.5/10

about my map:
ROM: Emerald (BPEE)
Game: (still unnamed)
Map: Deathly Road
It will be somewhat of a replacement for Victory Road. This is the deepest floor (added to the other [modified] floors of the original VR. It's still missing trainers ATM (haven't scripted them yet, it'll be 8 or 24 trainers in this map, still not sure but probably the latter.
Spoiler:
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:58 PM
chriskid198
Happy New Year!

Quote:

Well, there are a lot of tree shading errors. The map is also too simple to get through, and there are big massive patches of long grass. Also, the ledges seem to straight. The map is also really empty, and I don't really like the flower placement. 0.1/10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Map:
Okay, well since I need to rate a Map before I can post mine. Here goes. This map looks really good, the tree placement looks good. You said Pokemon appear in the sand, there are big patches of sand throughout, while Pokemon appearing would be a pain, unless theres a low encounter rate. The pond thing at the north of the map looks a bit too squarish.

Suggestions: None, I think this map is perfect.

9/10!

_ _ _ _ _ _

My Map:

Map Name: Route 1 V4
Map Game: I kept putting FireRed here, until I realized it was for the name of the hack xD. The name for Hack is yet to be finalized...
Credits: GameFreak.

Spoiler:

Comments: Yet another Remake of Route 1. I removed the flowers, since they looked odd. Filled up space with trees, edited the pathways. Tried very hard to try and get the tree shading correct. Please show me which ones are incorrect so I can fix them and hopefully learn something.
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Yasushi Toshio
ヤスシトシオ

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Yasushi Toshio
Quote:
My Map:

Map Game: I kept putting FireRed here, until I realized it was for the name of the hack xD. The name for Hack is yet to be finalized...

Spoiler:

Comments: Yet another Remake of Route 1. I removed the flowers, since they looked odd. Filled up space with trees, edited the pathways. Tried very hard to try and get the tree shading correct. Please show me which ones are incorrect so I can fix them and hopefully learn something.
Comment :
I myself am not to good at tree shades either so I don't really know if they are right.
The paths have a very nice shape, i'm not sure if you are using the same tree placement
style as GameFreak but if you do you've done it right and the grass is placed neatly.
I myself would make it try and look more "natural" or random.
Well there isn't much more to comment about ;D

Verdict :
Not much to say, maybe make the grass a bit more "natural" or random (not if you're using the GameFreak style).

Rating :
8.2 / 10

Map name : No name
Map game : Unknown
Comment : This is one of my first maps, please give constructive critism so I can learn from it.
Credits : Mitchel1 for the ROM-base editted by me, the tile makers who's tiles I used, i'm really sorry I don't remember who made the tiles please let me know if you see your tile(s) so I can add you in the credits.
Map :
Spoiler:
Remove the *, because I can;t post links
http:*//i53.tinypic.com/*2rmm8mc.*jpg
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:32 AM
chriskid198
Happy New Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasushi Toshio View Post
Comment :
I myself am not to good at tree shades either so I don't really know if they are right.
The paths have a very nice shape, i'm not sure if you are using the same tree placement
style as GameFreak but if you do you've done it right and the grass is placed neatly.
I myself would make it try and look more "natural" or random.
Well there isn't much more to comment about ;D

Verdict :
Not much to say, maybe make the grass a bit more "natural" or random (not if you're using the GameFreak style).

Rating :
8.2 / 10

Map name : No name
Map game : Unknown
Comment : This is one of my first maps, please give constructive critism so I can learn from it.
Credits : Mitchel1 for the ROM-base editted by me, the tile makers who's tiles I used, i'm really sorry I don't remember who made the tiles please let me know if you see your tile(s) so I can add you in the credits.
Map :
Spoiler:
Remove the *, because I can;t post links
http://i53.tinypic.com/2rmm8mc.jpg
This map is good, well set out and looks appealing. Shouldn't there be more than 2 houses? And I think it is a little too big to just have 2 houses sitting up in the corners. The mountain-ish things look good and natural, but stands out to much.

8/10

_ _ _ _ _

Map Name: Town 2 V1
Map Game: Not named yet.
Comments: The unfished building at the top of the map is fine in game. And the PokeMart is located inside the Pokemon Center.
Map:
Spoiler:
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:45 AM
altariaking
Needs NO VMs...

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to altariaking
Quote:
This map is good, well set out and looks appealing. Shouldn't there be more than 2 houses? And I think it is a little too big to just have 2 houses sitting up in the corners. The mountain-ish things look good and natural, but stands out to much.

8/10

_ _ _ _ _

Map Name: Town 2 V1
Map Game: Not named yet.
Comments: The unfished building at the top of the map is fine in game. And the PokeMart is located inside the Pokemon Center.
Map:
Spoiler:
It's empty. Really, really empty. Add some flowers and a path, and definitely some more houses, even gamefreak don't make cities with only one house (then again Cinnabar never had any...but that was just a small island with a ym), which makes the town pretty pointless. Also, I don't like the way you have the fence going all around the house, it just looks really bad. And the water, it also looks really empty. Add some rocks into it.
Rating: 2/10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now mine:

Map name: Undecided
Map game: Ya aint getting it outta me that easy...
Comments: First town in my hack. There is a route upwards, which leads to the Pokemon League, to the left is the first route, and there is the rivals house, the players house, another house with a random npc, the lab, and a small "Pokemon play area" within the fence. I'll add some post boxes soon
Map: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ng-d32hxl4.png
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:17 AM
leogrecchi

Quote:

It's empty. Really, really empty. Add some flowers and a path, and definitely some more houses, even gamefreak don't make cities with only one house (then again Cinnabar never had any...but that was just a small island with a ym), which makes the town pretty pointless. Also, I don't like the way you have the fence going all around the house, it just looks really bad. And the water, it also looks really empty. Add some rocks into it.
Rating: 2/10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now mine:

Map name: Undecided
Map game: Ya aint getting it outta me that easy...
Comments: First town in my hack. There is a route upwards, which leads to the Pokemon League, to the left is the first route, and there is the rivals house, the players house, another house with a random npc, the lab, and a small "Pokemon play area" within the fence. I'll add some post boxes soon ;)
Map: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ng-d32hxl4.png
This map seems very cool for a starter town
That fence was a little strange in the bottom part, it may be justified if it's because of a hidden item or such, but it's not a serious issue.
The postbox in the center of town would be better placed in the small green area, IMO, but again it's just opinion clause.
and last but not the least, the ledge in the road upwards, that seems misplaced, even pointless. I know that just taking it makes that area empty, but I guess one more tree and floor adjustment would make it better
Overall: 9/10

And as I love having my posts ignored [/sarcasm], i'll submit the same map again.

about my map:
ROM: Emerald (BPEE)
Game: (still unnamed)
Map: Deathly Road
It will be somewhat of a replacement for Victory Road. This is the deepest floor (added to the other [modified] floors of the original VR). It's still missing trainers ATM (haven't scripted them yet, it'll be 8 or 24 trainers in this map, still not sure but probably the latter).
Spoiler:

Last edited by Black Mage; November 14th, 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added the spoiler for you :)
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Sadim-Al-Bouncer
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Serious
Quote:
My Map:

Comments: Yet another Remake of Route 1. I removed the flowers, since they looked odd. Filled up space with trees, edited the pathways. Tried very hard to try and get the tree shading correct. Please show me which ones are incorrect so I can fix them and hopefully learn something.[/SPOILER]
First post! Hope to be making a few more here soon.

Eh... I personally like it. Simple but nice. The bushes next to the signs look a bit awkward though :\ I couldn't see
any tile errors, so nice job.
8/10

Ok... first map
Map: NEW1 (no real name)
Hack: (don't have a name for it, just a test one)
Credits: GameFreak
Comments: My first real map, cooked it up a little while ago as a test map. Hope to put into my hack I'm starting on
Pic: attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG‎ (123.6 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Sadim-Al-Bouncer; November 14th, 2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Omega Zero
Is back...

Send a message via Skype™ to Omega Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaziquaza View Post

Map:
Spoiler:

Credits-
- Kyledove- Tiles
- Alucus- Tiles
- NZ Fury- Tiles
- Cross Core- Tiles
- Wesley FG- Tiles
- Me
first of all those flowers have a funny pattern and weird pal
and the trees are missing there side thing
the map also looks like the top part is missing trees
might need to add something to fill in the gaps.

5/10
Name: Avan Village
game: Pokemon Serran
Spoiler:

First map i've done in a while i've tryed shading, yes i'm aware of the one at the top the tree bottom part i've already fixed it.
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Kevin

Reviewed Map:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Zero View Post

Spoiler:

First map i've done in a while i've tryed shading, yes i'm aware of the one at the top the tree bottom part i've already fixed it.
Review: It isn't that bad for a map you have made since a while, Although it's pretty empty... And the tree shadowing is good, so it's nice to see people who now how to use FR tree tiles. C= The mountains are... I dunno why but they seem out of place, in my opinion. But I like how you added rocks to accompany the mountains. And the trees in the middle of the map look too straight. Maybe randomize the placement a little?
Suggestions: Add more stuff to the map to make it look less empty, make tree placement more natural, maybe make the grass path a bit more wider, remove that ledge-bush thing north (it looks random a little), and maybe add one more mountain edge... And you said you fixed the tree shadowing at the top, so I guess I don't need to mention fixing that. :)
Old November 20th, 2010, 09:39 PM
wingman11
Solo Runner

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Zero View Post

Spoiler:

Pros: It has a very natural flow to it; very much village-like. The paths aren't straight, the flowers look as if they sprouted naturally. Plus the different trees are a nice touch.
Cons: It seems a little too empty, even for a village. It seems like there is one too few houses. Also the large patch of trees in the bottom left corner seems too... unnatural. I was never a fan of Nintendo placing trees in that pattern, though.
Errors: Not very many; the patch of dirt on the second ledge seems out of place, as does the one to the right of the trees in the upper right corner, and you already mentioned the tree shading.
Suggestions: Vary the trees in the lower corner and add another house or so. Remove the two mentioned dirt patches.
Overall: I like this map very much. It flows well and seems easily playable. However, it's just a tad too empty for its size.
Rating: 8/10

And I'll post my own map for rating.
Name: Oraile Mountain Pass
Hack Name: Voer Gems (Dead due to large and irremovable glitch)
ROM Base: Fire Red
Map Comments: There are many exits to this route (North, South, and East) as well as entrances to caves. The ladder entrance and the entrance to the east of it lead to an underground city (Oraile City, hence the area name); to the northwest of the ladder is an exit from the city and the farthest north cave entrance leads to Mt. Voer. Yes, some areas are inaccessible; I believe that a barren scenery didn't quite fit until the higher points on the map.
Spoiler:
ALSO ANOTHER ULTIMATE SOLO CHALLENGE
Devonshire the Sableye [FR-SS-E-PT-W]

Completed Challenges:

Psycho the Beldum/Metang/Metagross [FR-SS-E-PT-W]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Titan the Nidoran♂/Nidorino/Nidoking [B-C-R-PT-W]
--------------------------------------------
Regular Solo Challenge:
Razor the Drilbur/Excadrill [BLACK]
Beat Team Plasma | Beat Champion Alder
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Venom the Venipede/Whirlipede/Scolipede [BLACK]
Beat Team Plasma | Beat Champion Alder
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
.Fury.
Luke Fon Fabre'

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman11 View Post
Map Comments: There are many exits to this route (North, South, and East) as well as entrances to caves. The ladder entrance and the entrance to the east of it lead to an underground city (Oraile City, hence the area name); to the northwest of the ladder is an exit from the city and the farthest north cave entrance leads to Mt. Voer. Yes, some areas are inaccessible; I believe that a barren scenery didn't quite fit until the higher points on the map.
Spoiler:
MAP HERE

Review
:
Well I don't have much to say but you map looks really nice.
I can't find any tile errors and such so i'll give you 9.5/10

Suggestions: Don't have any . Lol

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys just came down to show you my first map of my first town.

Map Name:Working on a name.
Map Game:
Working on a name.

Comments: Well for me it seems pretty good but it feels like somethings missing.

Well here it is .

Attached Images
File Type: png My Map.PNG‎ (145.1 KB, 47 views)

Luke Fon Fabre

Last edited by .Fury.; November 23rd, 2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Forgot to review :x
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:44 PM
DrFuji
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Review: I diagree. I think you've done a good job of representing a mountain slope in this map through the barren scenery - You can see the terrain change the further you go up which really adds to the feel of the place. I'm just going to start off by saying this: You are going to have a ton of border errors. On the left side you have chosen to use grass/ ground tiles on the top of the mountain, while on the right you've used the generic rock top tile; this will inevitably lead to border clashes somewhere on the map.

I kow you are trying to convey the sense of being on a mountain, but you don't have to use 'one-tile paths' to do this. One tiles paths really restrict the ability of the player to move around the map, so it is usually best to give them more space. The area around sign on the right path heading north is an example of wherea one-tile path could and should have been avoided. Carrying on from that, the single steps up the mountain could do with a second tile to make them wider.

Its a nice map, but those little aspects are holding it back a bit :3

Suggestions: Make sure that you have no border errors on your map. The vast majority of one tile paths are unecessary and cumbersome, so their removal would make you map all that much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Fury. View Post
Hey Guys just came down to show you my first map of my first town.

Map Name:Working on a name.
Map Game: Working on a name.
Comments: Well for me it seems pretty good but it feels like somethings missing.
Review: The town centre on the right side of this map is looking very nice - You're giving the player a good degree of movement and there is nothing overtly wrong with its construction. I see the left side as not living up to the other side's expectations. It is barren and there is little to entertain the player. Beyond the tall grass, flowers and occasional rock, what is there? It is just a far too open space with no distinguishing features and a long mountain wall which, in my opinion, should be broken up so it isn't a continuous line for that distance. You were right when you said that there was something missing, as it seems to be the entire left side of your map.

Suggestions: Fill up the left side with whatever you can think of. Big trees, small trees, bodies of water - whatever you can thing of to give the area shape and something to amuse the player rather than a field of grass. Mould the cliffs into a shape other than a long straight line; it will help to liven up your map and make it 'less empty'. Flowers are generally is bunches of three or four, where each is diagonally placed to another, so I'd suggest doing the same here.

You've got a good map on the right side, but the left needs a serious facelift :D

Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
--As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
The Final Watchman
The Reaper

Location: Either on the clock tower with friends or the beach
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to The Final Watchman Send a message via Skype™ to The Final Watchman
Quote:
Pros: It has a very natural flow to it; very much village-like. The paths aren't straight, the flowers look as if they sprouted naturally. Plus the different trees are a nice touch.
Cons: It seems a little too empty, even for a village. It seems like there is one too few houses. Also the large patch of trees in the bottom left corner seems too... unnatural. I was never a fan of Nintendo placing trees in that pattern, though.
Errors: Not very many; the patch of dirt on the second ledge seems out of place, as does the one to the right of the trees in the upper right corner, and you already mentioned the tree shading.
Suggestions: Vary the trees in the lower corner and add another house or so. Remove the two mentioned dirt patches.
Overall: I like this map very much. It flows well and seems easily playable. However, it's just a tad too empty for its size.
Rating: 8/10

Spoiler:

I think this map is wonderful. You had a good time emphasizing the slopes and the inevitable change of the terrain.
Other than border errors I don't see much else wrong with the map. Fix this and it will be even better.

Now time for my map...

Map Name: Summerbridge town
Map Game: A secret hack I'm working on
Comments: It's my first map in a long while and I thought I did pretty well.

It's practically a town just so the professor can study pokemon explaining the grass...

Map:

Spoiler:

Please put pros and cons and a number rating.

Sponsored Links