Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks
Reload this Page FireRed hack: [HotW #100] Pokémon Beryl

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Old January 22nd, 2010 (05:38 AM). Edited February 3rd, 2010 by NiKaNoRoU.
Dedicated to Thrace

spoiler warning
The proceeding text contains a spoiler.
Plot and/or ending details follow containing information on prologue.

Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by trebornosliw:
This is just plain epic. Keep it up; I love the fakemon and the plot is awesome.
Quote originally posted by aquadan:
Wow! this sounds awesome!
The game portions sounds great, unlike some people who try to overload there plates with feature's and a super complex storyline.
Quote originally posted by Plasmid:
As others have said, this hack in gonna be epic. Can't wait to rape those bug-hayterz. Anyways, good luck man.
Quote originally posted by pokejungle:
I'm keeping my eye on this hack fo'sure. =]

This sounds fun and I love bug Pokemon x3 Some of those sprites could use work... but your heart's in the right place.
...first, there was Bug Catcher's Life.

...along with Deviation's Island Mystery.
A long-landed hack that was out here for a while. And was great.

...then, there was Revolution I.
The replies there speak for themselves.

For those that are thinking this, yes, you're right! This hack is a combination from all three hacks above, and is well served as Revolution I's prequel in storyline!

Co-owned with Deviation

Introduction

Hello all, you probably know me (you might not) from my previous hacks, mentioned above or from my spritework. I'm a comic artist, but I guess that's irrelevant. Ifound out about ROM Hacking and spriting on the date that I joined PC. Since then, I was yearning for this moment. Along with Deviation here, I present to you the newest hack that we're making together, Beryl! Well, without any further ado, let's move on to what my friend and co-owner has to say:

Right then, let’s keep this simple. I am Deviation, or better known as Banjora Marxvile. I am a bored, pessimistic hacker nowadays, due to... Certain things. Me and Nik will work hard for this, and we will spend ages making this as best as we can, so the least you can do is enjoy this hack, and please, do not steal. This hack is what we are doing to keep us entertained, hopefully push us, and we are doing it for nothing, just to keep you, and us amused to stretch our minds and talents. We will work hard for this, and we hope you enjoy this, and any future plans that we have, be it like a Co-Ownership like now, or any individual hacks.

Technical Info

Hack Name: Pokémon Beryl (Beryllium)
Rom Base: Fire Red [USA]
Language:
English
Owners:
NiKaNoRoU - Scripting, spriting, mapping, beta testing
Deviation - All kinds of inserting, mapping, beta testing

Programs Used:
- A-Map
- A-Ptch
- APE
- A-Trainer
- FSF
- Hex Workshop
- LIPS
- MS Paint
- NTME
- OW Editor RE
- XSE
- YAPE

Credits:

Giga Universe - CSS
DrFuji - Testing, banner and feedback
JPAN - Hacked Fire Red engine
interdpth - RTC Clock
All the tool/program makers for their tools/programs.

Plot Outline

"...I am an ordinary kid at the age of thirteen, living in a small, quiet town in the Vintou region with my mom. Recently, two Pokémon-specialized professors came into town. It is obvious that they are siblings, most likely twins, as they are almost alike. They started it all. They got me into Pokémon, the awe of battle, the satisfaction of adventure and all. So, one day, a shipment of 'trainer packs' arrived. Now, it was the time for the young people of our town to become pokémon trainers! Oh how I longed that moment! I even set the clock earlier so that I could be on the lab in time!"
"...but the critical day had passed. Full of excitement, I walked towards the lab, while mom was cheering up on me away from the house front door. The lab had that smell of septic liquid. it looked more like a hospital. there, I saw some people in white robes and glasses, some reading books, others fixing a machine, and there was that one guy with spiky hair that was eating a sandwich. He was Prof. Nohj, but his brother was supposed to be there, too, along with other people, and more importantly, there were no pok
éballs around!"
- Munch munch...looking for something, lad?
- I, uh, I came here for the trainer recruiting day, and...
- Oh, flippety flippet. You're one day late, lad.
- I-I'm sorry? but the announcement said that it was for today!
- It was re-ordered for a day earlier, order from the government. Besides, my bro had to leave today for an errand, too, so it suited him as well. Don't you ever watch TV, lad?

"This was anguish. I slowly walked home with my face almost on the ground. As I walked in, I heard two voices yelling <<Surprise!>>"
- Uncle Stephan!
- Haw haw, is that really you? my how much you've grown up! I can't even hug you properly now!
- Uncle, are you for real?
- Sure am! that long trip on the east was exhausting, but so much fun! And wait until you see the gifts that I bear for you!

"...as you can see, the tide can turn. If you want to find out about the rest, I suggest that you play along with me! Good luck!"

Features

Catch over 250 completely new fakemon
No more HMs! Various tools will replace them
Watch a Nintendo-based plot develop into a saga
Real Time Clock - Thanks to Interdpth
A new berry system based on the RTC
Treasure chests will replace items on the ground
Use of L and R buttons
Dextroy - the mobile encyclopedia is back!
Two regions - 16 gyms - Two Leagues - 3 Rivals
A new 'evil' team - Team Locust!
New facilites - such as a trade center and underground trainer pub!
Swarm events and a special place with everchanging battles
Read the minds of people and reveal hidden places!
Character portraits!
Move tutors (with custom moves) and new items
...and much, much more will be revealed!

Media

Screenshots

Videos

No videos out yet. If you want to contribute one, feel free to. If you have played a released version, that is.

Userbars

none as of yet.

Downloads

Alpha 1
Current Progress: 35%
Length: Up to the first Gym
Patch type: LIPS and A-Ptch

CSS @ Giga Universe - 2010 'Don't steal!'

Your knight from the plane of light
Old January 22nd, 2010 (10:32 AM).
Working on a tool.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via ICQ to Giga Universe Send a message via AIM to Giga Universe Send a message via Yahoo to Giga Universe Send a message via Skype™ to Giga Universe
Your hack sounds awesome, story sounds good, and the novel style makes it much more captivating. Your features sound promising, and the Fakemon sound exciting, as the one in the screenshot is well sprited. Only criticism I have for you is that the palette on the lighter grass (with the statues on it) looks odd with the rest of the grass.
Old January 22nd, 2010 (10:32 AM).
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
This is looking GREAT, especially Zelatin! I wish you the best of luck Nika!
Old January 22nd, 2010 (11:33 AM).
The First Maker
Silver Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Jayje Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jayje Send a message via Yahoo to Jayje
this sounds pretty cool. and the graphics look very promising. Zelatin's feet look familiar are they inspired by something?

Pokemon Emerald TEAM CHALLENGE!!
Old January 22nd, 2010 (01:26 PM).
Silver Tier

This is looking great!
I still like Revolution I better...
Old January 22nd, 2010 (01:31 PM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Seeing as Nik is offline at the moment (AND I'm Co-Owner) I will say thanks for all the support. And yes, the lighter grass does look kinda bright... Either me or Nik will change that for the beta. As well as a tile error (well, Pallette error) I just spotted. it is people like you that point out the tiny details that help us improve.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old January 22nd, 2010 (02:34 PM).
Dedicated to Thrace

Quote originally posted by Giga Universe:
Your hack sounds awesome, story sounds good, and the novel style makes it much more captivating. Your features sound promising, and the Fakemon sound exciting, as the one in the screenshot is well sprited. Only criticism I have for you is that the palette on the lighter grass (with the statues on it) looks odd with the rest of the grass.
Thanks. I did know about that, but forgot to change it after I posted about it (same with the extra exclamation mark on the 4th screen).
Quote originally posted by H2O Turquoise:
This is looking GREAT, especially Zelatin! I wish you the best of luck Nika!
Thanks dude, same with your hack, too. May I praise you on your italian and scripting skillz?
Quote originally posted by Jayje:
this sounds pretty cool. and the graphics look very promising. Zelatin's feet look familiar are they inspired by something?
Thanks, it's the best both me and Deviation can put in it.
And no, all sprites are scratch. Maybe it's just a coincidence.
Quote originally posted by chrunch:
This is looking great!
I still like Revolution I better...
Thanks for your comment. If you like Revolution, you're gonna love this one, as it includes almost all features from Revolution I. The list is just too big so I only added about half of the features. As I said, keep an eye on the updates to learn about more features.
Quote originally posted by Deviation:
Seeing as Nik is offline at the moment (AND I'm Co-Owner) I will say thanks for all the support. And yes, the lighter grass does look kinda bright... Either me or Nik will change that for the beta. As well as a tile error (well, Pallette error) I just spotted. it is people like you that point out the tiny details that help us improve.
Aww, shucks :3

The last line is SO true.

Old January 22nd, 2010 (03:24 PM).
Reminiscing Every Now and Then

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Otter
I love the intro! It doesn't tell much about the plot, but it's very well written. Great job on making the characters' personalities show through in their speech! Always nice to see well-developed characters in hacks. ;p

Can't wait to see more! Good luck~
Old January 22nd, 2010 (03:41 PM).

Nature: Quiet
So excited for this and revolution Very much good luck

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196223

Old January 22nd, 2010 (06:19 PM).
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Lovin' the load screen NiKa :D

I like the sound of a number of the features you're going to be implementing because reading minds is a fun past time. The character was majorly shut down by the professor :P

Anyway, there's not much I can say at this point, but both of you have a habit of making things look awesome. I await to play your awesome XD
Old January 22nd, 2010 (06:58 PM).
Malicious Mapper

I like how he has quotes like they do on the back of game / DVD cases. It got me interested.. Lmao.
Old January 23rd, 2010 (06:39 AM).
Learning how to make mistakes

A complete fakemon-dex huh? well that can be interesting, especially if you imagination prooves powerfull. Good luck to both of u.

PS. Deviation looks like you did get to be co-owner did u think i didn't remember XD

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 23rd, 2010 (03:20 PM).
Dedicated to Thrace

Quote originally posted by Otter:
I love the intro! It doesn't tell much about the plot, but it's very well written. Great job on making the characters' personalities show through in their speech! Always nice to see well-developed characters in hacks. ;p

Can't wait to see more! Good luck~
Thank you, wow, you're pretty sharp. Keep an eye on the thread in order to 'see more' then!
Quote originally posted by KaiVii:
So excited for this and revolution Very much good luck
Mhm, I hope luck will aid me, too.
Quote originally posted by DrFuji:
Lovin' the load screen NiKa :D

I like the sound of a number of the features you're going to be implementing because reading minds is a fun past time. The character was majorly shut down by the professor

Anyway, there's not much I can say at this point, but both of you have a habit of making things look awesome. I await to play your awesome XD
Thanks for the comments, and for the cool banner!

>>> I await to play your awesome

Now, why does that make absolutely no sense to me...
Quote originally posted by Anselection:
I like how he has quotes like they do on the back of game / DVD cases. It got me interested.. Lmao.
Way to get interested in a hack that way D: Thanks.
Quote originally posted by 558122_DG:
A complete fakemon-dex huh? well that can be interesting, especially if you imagination prooves powerfull. Good luck to both of u.

PS. Deviation looks like you did get to be co-owner did u think i didn't remember XD
Thanks, I hope someone can actually post more details on the 'good mood comments'.

Some Notes...

• For those who are only fans of Revolution I, I'll be working on that hack, too. Just, not much.
  • I'm currently working on the characters' overworlds. There will be custom overworlds for:
    • The main hero/ine
    • The player's mother
    • The Professors
    • The rivals
    • The Gym Leaders
    • Pathing blockers
  • I would like to thank The Master for pointing out some typos and errors on the first post that no one else noticed.

Once again, thanks for the attention. First update will take place on Monday. In the meantime, see you!

Old January 23rd, 2010 (04:14 PM).

the text there is not necessarily appealing to the eyes, i kinda have to strian to see it properly.

what are those wing things?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 23rd, 2010 (08:08 PM).
Billie Jean is not my lover

Nature: Lax
-In the 5th screenshot the word 'West' should be capitalized.
-I like Zelatin's sprite, but I think you should give his feet and claws a black outline to help emphasize the sprites shape, and maybe emphasize the sharpness of its claws for a more realistic feel.
-250 new fakemon would be cool, but don't bite off more than you can chew. Make sure you don't compromise mapping and scripting for fakemon!(although I have faith in you and Deviation that you guys can do it all! )

V I I I. T h e . F u r r y . o f . D a n c i n g . F l a m e s
Old January 23rd, 2010 (08:28 PM).
Check my Thread :3

Nature: Adamant
Ok nice hack, i just love fake pokes and the story looks great! good luck on this

Yeah The"Richar
Visit my trade thread!!!
When I CMT please post in it :3
Old January 24th, 2010 (12:16 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Well NiKa this looks awesome but why are you doing another hack?
Revolution was great and now another awesome hack?
You'll be really busy -.-

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old January 24th, 2010 (03:43 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Ash493:
Maybe the ignored one can explain...

Right, me and Nik decided to meld our ideas together. He wanted to do Bug Catcher's Life again, I had plans to restart Island Mystery. However, as both of us admired the others hack idea, we decided to merge them together for 2 reasons.

1. So we can share our ideas, as we loved them
2. To make it easier as 2 leaders seem better than 1.

So, Beryl was born. 2 ideas melded to form one.

Bear in mind, there are 2 owners of this. you cannot compliment just 1 without at least mentioning the other, as the ideas are from both.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old January 24th, 2010 (04:15 AM).
Dedicated to Thrace

the text there is not necessarily appealing to the eyes, i kinda have to strian to see it properly.

what are those wing things?
Uh, the text is pretty clear to me, you obviously have a bad eyesight. No heed though, since after you get Dextroy, he will talk instead, and the text will be green.

Those 'wings' are the indicators for the flying position. Throughout the hack there will be several of them, and not only in towns, and not in Pokecenters.
Quote originally posted by snap12:
-In the 5th screenshot the word 'West' should be capitalized.
-I like Zelatin's sprite, but I think you should give his feet and claws a black outline to help emphasize the sprites shape, and maybe emphasize the sharpness of its claws for a more realistic feel.
-250 new fakemon would be cool, but don't bite off more than you can chew. Make sure you don't compromise mapping and scripting for fakemon!(although I have faith in you and Deviation that you guys can do it all! )
-Okay, fixed.
-the claws are supposed to be small, but i'll take the outline in consideration. The palette is limitating me, though.
-Do you want to test my bite? : D It's okay, I can handle it. as well as spriting for other people, from time to time.

Thanks for pointing those out, I appreciate it!
Quote originally posted by TheRichar:
Ok nice hack, i just love fake pokes and the story looks great! good luck on this
thanks, on behalf of Deviation also.
Quote originally posted by Ash493:
Okay, first of all, why do all of you think that one person can't pull off two hacks together?

I have my own pace, and can always pick to work on revolution while Deviation has the hack, doing insertions. Besides, I'm already 'really busy'. I'm also a spriter for several other projects, remember? never stopped me.

I'm flattered about the 'another awesome hack' part, though. D:
Quote originally posted by Deviation:

Maybe the ignored one can explain...

Right, me and Nik decided to meld our ideas together. He wanted to do Bug Catcher's Life again, I had plans to restart Island Mystery. However, as both of us admired the others hack idea, we decided to merge them together for 2 reasons.

1. So we can share our ideas, as we loved them
2. To make it easier as 2 leaders seem better than 1.

So, Beryl was born. 2 ideas melded to form one.

Bear in mind, there are 2 owners of this. you cannot compliment just 1 without at least mentioning the other, as the ideas are from both.
Exactly my point. Beryl is something more than a hack to us, it's memories recreated. And, in contradiction to Revolution and all our previous hacks, Beryl has a deadline with 'school exams' splashed all over it.

What Deviation said about the reasons why we merged our ideas together is just what the first post seems like: that's work of only one week. Just imagine what can be done in the next month =]

By the way, I'd like to add something about 'ownership'. If you ever find tile or grammar/scripting errors, only blame me. D:

Old January 24th, 2010 (05:09 AM).
Starting anew...

Nature: Timid
Well, one word: Awesome.

The scripting looks pretty well. Good luck with this.

Oh, and the palettes are awesome too.
Old January 24th, 2010 (07:45 AM).

Quote:
Uh, the text is pretty clear to me, you obviously have a bad eyesight. No heed though, since after you get Dextroy, he will talk instead, and the text will be green.

Those 'wings' are the indicators for the flying position. Throughout the hack there will be several of them, and not only in towns, and not in Pokecenters.
No,no I don't mean I can't read it I mean the colour of the next is not quite a good choice seeing as the text box is white and and the colour is a light beige sort of thing.

Old January 24th, 2010 (07:54 AM).
♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
No,no I don't mean I can't read it I mean the colour of the next is not quite a good choice seeing as the text box is white and and the colour is a light beige sort of thing.
The man has a point. My vision is 100% perfect but it still takes an awful lot of effort to read the text due to the similarity between the light grey hue and the white. Maybe yo ushould sort it out.

Old January 24th, 2010 (08:30 AM).
Dedicated to Thrace

Quote originally posted by Sarcastic Prince:
Well, one word: Awesome.

The scripting looks pretty well. Good luck with this.

Oh, and the palettes are awesome too.
Thanks, after I started revolution I kept practising over scripts. Now I'm almost able to do level scripts. Yeah, I love daisies. : D

Glad to have you back in action!
Quote originally posted by The Cynic:
The man has a point. My vision is 100% perfect but it still takes an awful lot of effort to read the text due to the similarity between the light grey hue and the white. Maybe yo ushould sort it out.
Okay, I still have no problem reading it, but in the end it seems that it's just me. I'll change it to green from the start.
Is that your only comment?

Old January 24th, 2010 (08:47 AM).
♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
That's great news, thank you. Good luck!

Old January 25th, 2010 (02:59 AM). Edited January 25th, 2010 by DrFuji.
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
I'd have throw my hat into the alternate-coloured-text ring not that it matters any more. That greyish text is hard on the eyes and I'm not sure if I could stand to look at it for a prolonged period of time.

Is Zelatin your only choice of a starter? Its fine if it is, but two+ gives variety and choice :D

Quote originally posted by NiKaNoRoU:
I'm still stuck at the ows, and I can't see why. *cough-cough, job*
I see what you did there >_____________>

Sponsored Links