• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Want to become a Pokémon Master, finish your Pokédex, and beat the game? What, you say you've been there, done that?! Well, what else is left for you to do?

How about this: Instead of playing with the same team over and over, how about you try to pump up the difficultly a notch. Try a Monotype Challenge! :D

Basically, you go through at least one of the games using a team completely consisting of one type. It can be quite the challenge, especially when facing a leader or elite who is resistant to your entire team! But that's what makes it more fun, right? ^_^

Single Game Monotype Rules

• No hacking or cheating. This includes using the Missingno glitch in RBY.
  • You may not use Legendary Pokémon, even if they are of your type.
  • No trading Pokémon from other games, unless you are doing so for an evolution that requires it.
  • When starting your journey in each game, you will have to play the game using just your starter Pokémon. Then, once you gain access to the first available Pokémon of your type, continue from then on with only that type. You can use your starter to help with training these Pokémon, but cease using it in gym battles at this point. In the Kanto games, you also must catch the first Pokémon of your type before cutting the bush east of Cerulean City.
  • You can use HM slaves of different types; just don't use them in battles. The exception to this rule is with Psychic teams in the Hoenn games. Due to the fact that the Abra and Ralts families literally have no means of combating Poochyena and their fellow Dark-Types at the start of the game, the HM slaves can be used to help them out. ^^
  • You may only use Pokémon that share a type. Dual Types are allowed, however. So, if you're doing a Flying monotype challenge, you may use the Water/Flying type Gyarados. If you are doing a Water monotype challenge, you may also use the Water/Flying type Gyarados. You can use Pokemon not of your type if and only if they will evolve into a Pokemon of your type at some point, though you should evolve them at the first chance you get. Also, if you are doing a Normal monotype challenge, you may not use an Eevee and evolve it into a Jolteon, because it is no longer the correct type.
  • You may use an emulator; just don't cheat on it.
  • Due to their rarity in earlier generations, three types are discouraged from being used: Ghost, Dragon, Ice. If you still want to use one of these types, you can ignore the third rule and trade one of said-type into your game at the earliest point that you can do so.
  • Due to their non-existance in the first generation, Dark- and Steel-Types are also discouraged from being used, and banned outright from RBY for obvious reasons. If you still want to use Dark-types types in GSC, FrLg, or HgSs, you can also ignore the third rule and trade one of said-type into your generation at the earliest point that you can do so.
  • If you cannot trade for whatever reason, and you're using one of the types mentioned in the last two points, hacking a single low-level Pokémon of your type into your game will be allowed. You would also be permitted to evolve Pokémon in this manner, if they require trading to do so. These are the only instances where hacking will be tolerated.
  • The challenge for each game is completed once the Elite Four is beaten for the first time(except in the second generation where it ends when you defeat Red, and in the fifth generation where it ends when you defeat the Elite Four for the second time). At said point, you can then begin with the following game.
  • It is never too late to sign up, you may always use the same type as someone else, and remember, HAVE FUN!!!

And for those of you feeling even more adventurous, how about trying for the Ultimate Monotype Challenge instead? So, instead of having a monotype challenge through one Pokémon game, this is meant to take place in all five regions, going through each generation of the franchise.

Requirements

• A copy of Red, Blue, or Yellow. FireRed and LeafGreen will be accepted here, but for the ultimate experience, I suggest you go with the originals.
  • A copy of Gold, Silver, or Crystal. HeartGold and SoulSilver will be accepted here, but for the ultimate experience, I suggest you go with the originals.
  • A copy of Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald.
  • A copy of Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum.
  • A copy of Black or White.
  • The will to play, and the desire to have fun. =D
  • Emulators will be allowed for any of the above, excluding the previous. ^_^

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Rules

• All rules from the Single Challenges apply here.
  • Go in order. That is, RBY -> GSC -> RSE -> DPPt -> BW.
  • I didn't think I'd have to add this, but...Use the same Type in every Generation. Thanks. ^^

You can post your progress here in this thread, being as detailed or as vague as you like. But please, when doing so, be sure to mention which challenge you're participating in. Things would get confusing otherwise, as we have two separate lists here. All participants in the Ultimate Monotype Challenge will be listed below in this post, and everyone participating in the single-game challenges will be listed in the following post.

Note that all champions of the Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh Challenges will be in brackets at the beginning of each list. Anyone in this position is free to start a 5th Gen game to become a Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh-Isshu Champion. ^_^

Spoiler:

And here are some userbars that you can choose to use while participating in your challenges. ^_^

Spoiler:

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Hey guys! This is the post for single monotype challenges. It doesn't get updated much at all, because most everyone does Ultimates instead, but every once in a while I feel adventurous, so I update.

So you know how there aren't Dark or Steel types in FR/LG? other than magnemite Well, if you still want to do this challenge, feel free to! Below, I've compiled a list of the appropriate time to hack in Pokemon of each type.
Spoiler:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the challenger list for all single monotype runs. In your first post, when you sign up, simply say which game you will be playing on, and it will be updated in the proper spot.
CHALLENGERS:
Spoiler:

CHAMPIONS:
Spoiler:

USERBARS:
Spoiler:

Feeling a little more adventurous? For anyone who thinks they are the monotype king, the title of Single Monotype Master (SMM) will be given to anyone who can successfully complete a generation with every type. RBY has 15 types to beat, all others have 17. For this title, RBY cannot combine with FRLG, and GSC cannot combine with HGSS. All have to be done on the same generation.

SINGLE MONOTYPE MASTERS
Myrrhman (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn)
Jdthebud (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh)

Last edited:

Dragonsfreak

eevee raiser
Years
well EJ missed the post where i said i started a fire challenge because i finished my grass-run.
could you move me from the grass-type list to fire, please.

two things:

1. Does HGSS also end after the e4 or after Red like Gen 2

2. Could we integrate a variation of the egg rule from the HGSS monotype challenge somehow, so that rare Types could be used?

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Okay, I just did my last update of the old thread, so we can now start things anew. I'd like to congratulate Fire Wolf for completing the Ghost UMC, becoming the last champion of the original challenge. ^^

Additionally, I noticed some questions regarding when and if the fifth generation games will be added to the challenge here. I think myrrhman would agree in saying that we'll definitely want to include them. Someone mentioned using spoiler tags while the games are still unavailable in the West, and I think that's a good idea. More information will come in September.

Also, to clarify something from the old thread, which will be made official over here: hacking a low-level Pokémon into your game will be legal in the cases of the Ice, Dragon, and Ghost challenges, in addition to the 2nd Gen Dark challenge. I'll add it to the rules now.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Ah, didn't realize that. ^^

My Psychic challenge didn't end up so well, so I want to restart it sometime. Probably in time for this thing to include the fifth gen as well.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
So my next update in my Sapphire Grass Monotype challenge.

After i almost losed to Kyogre, his ice beam sweept almost my whole team.
I grinded under the sea my team to level 45
I walked in the gym and i falled trough the ice and must beat a trainer.
After i beated all the trainers with Tropius and Vileplume i puzzeld how to beat the puzzle.
After 10 minutes i finally get it and walked to Wallace and kicked his ass.
I healed and surft my way to Evergrande city!
I catched a Gyarados with my masterball and teached it Waterfall
I searched on some sites and saw i only need Strenght, Rock smash and Surf so my newest slave Lombre could do it.
But don't looked at some words, with Flash and waterfall it's simple.
So now i'm stuck in the pitch black darkness without Waterfall and Flash. Without an Escape rope...

And now finally my powerfull force:

Sceptile 'Blade'
lv 46, Softsand
- Slam
- Earthquake
- Leaf blade
- Aerial ace

Breloom 'Spore'
lv. 45, Amulet coin
- Mega drain
- Headbutt
- Sky uppercut
- Leech seed

Vileplume 'Flower'
lv. 45, Macho brace
- Absorb
- Posion powder
- Petal dance (deleted Sleep powder by accident)
- Sludge bomb

Tropius 'Bronto'
lv. 45, No item
- Fly
- Magical leaf
- Body slam
- Steel wing

Cacturne 'Needle'
lv. 45, Black glasses
- Cut
- Needle arm
- Faint attack
- Pin missle

And my Dive, Surf, Rock smash, Sternght slave Lombre (Who i sometimes use to face fire types.)

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
Years
Umm, I'm currently in Johto playing through HG - but the list says I'm in Kanto ^^'

EDIT: I forgot to say, I dropped out of the 'Ultimate' Monotype thread a while back and only recently began the 'HGSS' one :P Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
Years
I'm going to continue my Steel monotype challenge in Pearl, if you all don't mind. I've got two badges so far and I'm training up for a third as we speak. I'll update as soon as I can but I'm going to be on vacation soon so that may not happen for awhile. Still, I will do my best to update when I can. Thanks guys! =]

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Umm, I'm currently in Johto playing through HG - but the list says I'm in Kanto ^^'

EDIT: I forgot to say, I dropped out of the 'Ultimate' Monotype thread a while back and only recently began the 'HGSS' one :P Sorry for the confusion!
On that note, seeing as all the challenges are now in one thread, I suppose it would be proper format to always mention with tournament you're participating in(ie. one of the single-games or the ultimate).

I'll add something about that to the first post.

Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2021
Great update

vs giovani
rhyhorn Surfed with tauros
rhyhorn Surfed with snorlax
dugtrio another surf from kanghaskhan
Nidoqueen psychich and water pulse with wiglituf
Nidoking the same psychich and water pulse

vs lorelei
Dewgong_A.gif
rock slided and brik breaked
Slowbro_A.gif
snorlax body slamworks
Cloyster_A.gif
snorlax thunder
Archivo:Lapras_A.gif
killed raticate butt rock slided with kanghaskhan
Jynx_A.gif
tauros earhquake

vs bruno
Onix_A.gif
the two onix were surfed by kanghas
Hitmonlee_A.gif
dodrio drill peck defeated him and hitmonchan
Machamp_A.gif
dodrio drill peck and wiglituff psychich destroy him
vs agatha
Gengar_A.gif
two gengars got psychic haunter too
Golbat_A.gif
snorlax thundered
Arbok_A.gif
tauros earth quaked that pesky

vs lance
Dragonair_A.gif
Tauros used two eartquakes for first the second was defeated by snorlax body slam
Dragonite_A.gif
ratty blizard freeze him soo antoher blizard knock it down
Gyarados_A.gif
snorlax thundered
Aerodactyl_A.gif
critical ratty iron tail

vs blue
Pidgeot_A.gif
kang rock slided two times
Gyarados_A.gif
snorlax thundered him (again)
Arcanine_A.gif
that anoying guy took a few earthquakes
Rhydon_A.gif
wiglyuff waterpulsed two times
Alakazam_A.gif
tauros used strenght to defeat him
Venusaur_A.gif
dodrio drill pecked him for the victory

team

Ratticate lv 63:hyper fang super fang blizard iron tail
dodrio:lv60:drill peck fly tryattack steel wing
tauros lv 59:earhquake surf fire blast strenght
kanghaskan lv 58:surf rock slide dizzy punch brik break
wiglituff lv56:water pulse body slam psychic shock wave
snorlax lv 62:thunder rock tomb body slam surf
yuuuuuuuuuuuuuhuuuuuuuuuuuuu
to johto i wiil use crystal i will update thursday

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
You know, I'm going to suggest that you change the name of the thread somehow. Instead of "Ultimate thread for monotype challenges" it could be interpreted as "Thread for ultimate monotype challenges", which is what confused me when I got the new link from the locked monotype challenge thread. May I suggest "Central Monotype Challenge Thread" or something to that effect instead? Just a heads-up.

That said, I will now provide a short update for my SS mono so that I may justify this post:

• Did most of what I needed to do around getting a Beldum, which will be put off until later, and went to continue the plot.
  • Entered Mahogany Town and got scolded by not-Lance for being late. Psh, it's not like Team Rocket would do anything without me there to foil their plan anyway.
  • Fought a whole lot of Grunts while procrastinating on leveling Skarmory up to join the rest of the group in the 30-ish level range.
  • Steelix gained 555 experience points. Awesome.
  • Realized that dang, Steelix needs a better moveset. And better accuracy. Geez.

Years
One question. Can I choose one of the games I want to challenge, or must I go through all the 4 regions in order?

twinsandvikes777

Power Trainer
Years
I think I'lll start another challenge on my SoulSilver cartridge, this time using the Steel type!
Quick question: Does .EJ's egg rule still apply, or are there any different rules? If it does, I'll be trading over eggs for Piplup, Riolu, and Aron eggs to start off the game. If not, please tell me otherwise.

Username: twinsandvikes777
In-game name: Vin
Type: Steel
Game: SoulSilver

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I think I'lll start another challenge on my SoulSilver cartridge, this time using the Steel type!
Copycat. >:C

Anyway, I just cleared the Mahogany Rocket Hideout and Pryce's gym on my copy of a Steel-mono-ing Soul Silver, and the plot has taken a break so that I can train multiple members of my team. Seriously, Skarmory is waaaay underlevelled. And I still need to evolve Prinplup. And Steelix needs a decent moveset. Yeeeah.

GrassGiant

Grass Fan
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
I defeated Candice,in only one attempt, which surprised me[Video]

Team:
Raedu@Quick Claw
Spr_4d_389.png

Lv 51
-Crunch
-Curse
-Earthquake
-Razor Leaf

Artya@Rose Incense
Spr_4d_407_m.png

Lv 49
-Petal Dance
-Leech Seed
-Toxic(Soon Sludge Bomb)
-Stun Spore

Vailo@Exp Share
Spr_4d_459_m.png

Lv 35
-Swagger
-Mist
-Ice Shard
-Ingrain
[In training]

twinsandvikes777

Power Trainer
Years
I got bored so i started anyways haha. Ok, so i started off normally and named myself Vin, blah blah blah. Chose Totodile named Bloo, and went on my merry way. To make a short story shorter, I finished the egg quest, and traded over Piplup, Aron, and Riolu eggs. Now I'm trying to hatch them.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
Years
  • Age 30
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 19, 2016
The name was quite confusing, but meh.

Won't be able to continue with my HG/SS challenge until I can find an emulator and ROM. My DS is now shot and I'm holding out for a 3DS anytime soon.

I should get a Platinum update done by tomorrow though. Thank I use a ROM for THAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back