Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 28th, 2013 (11:07 AM).
TheCrystalFlaaffy
The CyndaquilofWar

Nature: Jolly
Challenge
Spoiler:
Username: James901
Pokemon of Choice: Venusaur
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): Pokémon LeafGreen | Pokémon Silver | Pokémon Emerald | Pokémon Platinum | Pokémon White 2

Badges

Spoiler:

Belladonna @Miracle Seed
Level 64 | Female | Adamant | Overgrow
Strength | PoisonPowder | Leech Seed | Razor Leaf
Old September 28th, 2013 (09:28 PM).
FinalInsanity

More Solo Dratini action, featuring obnoxious ghosts and being punched in the face!

Spoiler:
  • Head to Ecruteak, no real problems. I feel as if levels will become an issue soon, but hopefully not.
  • Rival battle is a bit of a pain. Gastly has to not Curse me, which requires a) for the Quick Claw to activate, or b) for him to use another move instead. Curse happens fairly often, but resetting pays off. Afterwards it's just Fire Blast away. Loving the decision to buy that.
  • Dratini TRIED to evolve during the Ecruteak Gym... I should probably get that Everstone at some point.
  • Morty is too tough. Going west to murder the people on the route before Olivine. Learn Aqua Tail from leveling up over Twister.
  • I would LOVE to help you Jasmine but I am incapable of sea travel because boats don't exist.
  • I can probably beat Morty now. Aqua Tail one-shots Gastly. Gengar uses Mean Look (oh no I can't switch) and then Aqua Tail... WOULD have two shot but Sitrus Berry. We trade healing items, then I paralyze him as he misses Hypnosis (hah!). Parahax and such on my side, Gengar goes down. Haunter lands Hypnosis and a few Dream Eaters but Seraph is a bulky beast and has Shed Skin. A few annoying turns later, Haunter gets OHKO'd by Aqua Tail. Haunter #2 then... Mean Looks again and goes down.
  • In conclusion, Aqua Tail is a good move, and it's time to grab the SecretPotion and fight Jasmine.
  • Along the way to Cianwood, I learn Dragon Rush over Dragon Rage. The accuracy is kinda bad, but X Accuracies can be purchased and the 100 Base Power with STAB is so good, especially with Dragon Dance later.
  • Oh fine i'll fight chuck since i'm here and got Dragon Rush geez
  • Primeape misses with Rock Slide, then gets Dragon Rush'd + Aqua Tail'd while trying to Focus Punch me. Poliwrath gets paralyzed and punches my face. Heal up and get Surf'd, then go nuts with Dragon Rush (paraflinch possibilities go!), and a lucky crit finishes him. Not too bad.

Onwards to Badge #6! I predict Jasmine will be really easy thanks to Fire Blast.

Lv 36 Current Moveset:

- Dragon Rush
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Blast
- Thunder Wave

Challenge Runs:

Ultimate Solo Dratini (Red: CLEAR!) (Soulsilver: CLEAR!) (Sapphire: 0/8) (Platinum: 0/8) (Black 1: 0/8) (Black 2: 0/8)
Old September 29th, 2013 (10:39 AM).
TheCrystalFlaaffy
The CyndaquilofWar

Got my 8th and final badge! Now for the Pokemon League!!!

Challenge
Spoiler:
Game(s): Pokémon LeafGreen | Pokémon Silver | Pokémon Emerald | Pokémon Platinum | Pokémon White 2

Badges

Spoiler:

Belladonna @Miracle Seed
Level 68 | Female | Adamant | Overgrow
Strength | Earthquake | Leech Seed | Razor Leaf

Quote originally posted by FinalInsanity:
Dratini TRIED to evolve during the Ecruteak Gym... I should probably get that Everstone at some point.
If you hatch the Togepi egg and show it to Prof. Elm he'll give you one.
Old October 2nd, 2013 (01:32 PM).
Buzz Buzz
What's all the Buzz about...

Nature: Lonely
Cleared the Elite Four with relative ease too.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:

Jason the Charizard (M) @ Lv.64
Item: Charcoal
Slash
Flamethrower
Dragon Rage
Wing Attack
SR - Ho-Oh - X
Random Pokémon - Heart Gold

Completed
SR - Venusaur (Soul Silver), Charizard (Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum), Blastoise (Blue), Pidgeot (Fire Red), Arbok (Heart Gold), Raichu (X), Clefable (Fire Red), Dugtrio (Fire Red), Golduck (Fire Red, Ruby), Arcanine (Leaf Green), Poliwrath (Fire Red), Golem (Sapphire), Rhyhorn (Emerald), Omastar (Leaf Green), Zapdos (Silver), Mew (Fire Red, Silver), Typhlosion (Leaf Green), Feraligatr (X), Houndoom (Leaf Green), Tyranitar (Leaf Green), Swampert (Fire Red, Sapphire), Exploud (Diamond), Torkoal (Fire Red), Absol (Leaf Green), Kyogre (Fire Red), Infernape (Black), Chesnaught (X)
MC - Red (Fire Red, Ruby, Platinum), Yellow (White 2)
MT - Bug (Fire Red), Normal (X), Steel (Platinum)
Legendary Trio - Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres - Fire Red
Persona - Sacred Gold
Old October 2nd, 2013 (04:09 PM).
FinalInsanity

Big Solo Dratini update, got the rest of the badges in Johto! Onwards to the E4.

Spoiler:
  • I saved the lighthouse or something.
  • Fire Blast OHKO's Magnemite. And Magnemite. 2HKO's Steelix. No problems at all, even though I missed once.
  • I'm off to the Lake of Rage, and attempt to catch the Red Gyarados as an HM Slave. Surprisingly I do, which makes things very convenient, as I didn't have anything yet that could learn Strength.
  • Went through the Rocket Hideout and fought every single battle I could. I'm very much going to try to hit Lv 45 before Pryce to get Dragon Dance. Pryce is honestly VERY scary to me right now, as I'm assuming most Ice type attacks will 1-shot me and I haven't received any Yache Berries from Mother. Could be trouble.
  • Hah! I'm one level higher than Lance's Dragonite! I am the strongest Dragon trainer!
  • Well, I was unable to learn Dragon Dance before reaching Pryce; however, Seel is weak and I have tons of X Items. Let's see how this goes.
  • I need to use 2 X Attacks to OHKO Piloswine when it comes out. I set up this, and an X Accuracy on Seel, who can really only use Icy Wind to drop my Speed and deal “meh” for damage. But the Speed drops will keep me from sweeping! Hm, wasn't there an item that prevented stat drops? ...that's right, the Guard Spec is surprisingly useful here! I use the 5 turns of stat drop immunity to use my X Items and heal, then Dragon Rush to OHKO Seel. I outspeed Piloswine (thank you very much guard spec) and OHKO with Aqua Tail. Then Dewgong gets... OHKO'd by Dragon Rush. A very easy, somewhat strategic battle.
  • Anyways, it's time to save the Radio Tower or something.
  • Learnt Dragon Dance at Lv 45, finally! Time to say goodbye to Thunder Wave and hello to sweeping everything, especially once I get Waterfall and don't have to worry about Aqua Tail's imperfect accuracy.
  • Oh right, the Rival battle here. Um... 1 X Accuracy and 2 Dragon Dances. That's all it takes.
  • DRAGON DANCE DRAGON RUSH RAAARGH
  • After taking down Team Rocket, it's off to Ice Cave where I get Waterfall, a much-needed replacement for Aqua Tail. 100% Accuracy at last! Moreso than the enemies, the most threatening thing in this run so far has been shakey accuracy. Waterfall is a breath of fresh air.
  • Making my way through Clair's gym... I finally hit Lv 50. Milestones!
  • Clair herself... Gyarados is perfect setup fodder due to not having STAB on Dragon Pulse and having very poor Special Attack. Barring a crit, Dragon Pulse is a 3HKO. This allows me to set up an X Accuracy and a bunch of Dragon Dances to OHKO her entire team with Dragon Rush. Intimidate is a mild issue at best, and for extra safety I use an X SpDef. 4 Dragon Dances later, it's time for Seraph to clean house. Crit on Gyarados (might have been necessary? Don't have the best Attack in the world and isn't weak to Dragon), while Dragonair is... crit'd again. Cool luck. Dragonair V2 gets OHKO'd again. And that oh-so-lovely Kingdra with its lone weakness to Dragon gets OHKO'd. So satisfying.
  • I get to Lv 51 off of Kingdra and overwrite Fire Blast with Outrage. Fire Blast served me very well, but if I truly do need it back, I can relearn it. Outrage's higher power and accuracy is too good to pass up on, despite the confusion (If I need to not-be confused, I can just pray Dragon Rush hits or that Waterfall will be enough).

Seraph, Dratini ♂ Lv 51
Amulet Coin
>Dragon Rush
>Waterfall
>Outrage
>Dragon Dance

Challenge Runs:

Ultimate Solo Dratini (Red: CLEAR!) (Soulsilver: CLEAR!) (Sapphire: 0/8) (Platinum: 0/8) (Black 1: 0/8) (Black 2: 0/8)
Old October 3rd, 2013 (07:58 AM). Edited October 3rd, 2013 by TheCrystalFlaaffy.
TheCrystalFlaaffy
The CyndaquilofWar

Emerald complete for my Ultimate Venusaur Solo!

I've put my update in spoilers to keep this post from crowding the page.
Spoiler:
This challenge has really changed the way I look at the Venusaur evolution line, before this I would have said the Charizard line was my favorite out of the Kanto starters, but now it's Venusaur by far! I love me some Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur!

Challenge
Spoiler:

Badges

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Belladonna @Miracle Seed
Level 75 | Female | Adamant | Overgrow
Strength | Earthquake | Leech Seed | Razor Leaf

Now off to Sinnoh! :D

Important info for the release of Pokemon X & Pokemon Y

Okay everyone, since Pokemon X & Pokemon Y are less than 2 weeks from release I feel there are some things I should address.

First off, with the release of a new generation the requirements for an Ultimate Challenge will be changing, you will now need to complete all six generations instead of only five. If you have completed an Ultimate Challenge before X & Y you will still be given Ultimate Champion status, but you will be in a seperate section called "Generation 5 Ultimate Champions" where the current champions will be moved as well. You will be able to change your challenge to a Generation 6 Ultimate at anytime and must complete a 6th Generation game in order to gain full champion status. Also I won't cut off Generation 5 right away. I will give everyone until the end of the year, so December 31, 2013 if you would like to be a Generation 5 Ultimate Champion. However when the new year starts, any Ultimate Challenge will require a 6th Generation game in order to qualify.

Next up, 4th Generation Pokemon. Before X & Y 4th Generation Pokemon were unable to be use for an ultimate without hacking to get them in the 1st and 2nd Generation games, but now that the 6th Generation is being released I think it's about time to change that. All Generation 4 Pokemon, from Turtwig to Arceus, can now be used for an Ultimate Challenge! The games you would have to play though will be:

Johto, in either HeartGold or SoulSilver.
Sinnoh, in either Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum.
Unova, in either Black, White, Black 2, or White 2.
Kalos, in either X or Y.

Also if we do get Hoenn remakes, like most people are hoping for, then they will also be required for an Ultimate Challenge with a 4th Generation Pokemon.

Now with the introduction of a new generation things may seem confusion for everyone, including myself, but feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. As for when the challenge should end in X and Y, for now I will say until the Elite Four is beaten but if it has a weird Elite Four/Post-game like Black and White do then the end may change. I can't really say for sure until I have played through the game myself though.

I'm really excited for the games release and wish everyone of you the best of luck with your challenges! :D

-James901
Old October 4th, 2013 (06:07 PM).
FinalInsanity

And that, as they say, is that. For Johto.

Spoiler:
  • I doubt I will ever get rid of Outrage. It's too good for random trainers.
  • The hardest part of this challenge thus far; Kimono Girls. Mostly Espeon. Capable of 2-shotting me with Psychic, and coming after Umbreon (giving them a chance to soften me up), this was obnoxious. Jolteon being an evasion spammer didn't help. And of course, the obligatory Ice move from Vaporeon (with Attack lowering properties!) Oh well, got through it, but it definitely required luck.
  • Today, I feel like killing a god. Let's go do that. I honestly completely forgot the path through Whirl Islands. BUT REGARDLESS. Murder of Lugia commences. Not too bad; crits are an OHKO, but that's the only issue.
  • Going through Route 27 really makes me wish Dratini could learn Dragon Claw. I would gladly take it over Outrage or Dragon Rush. Oh well. Live and learn.
  • Last Rival battle of the main story (besides Mt. Moon, I guess). Sneasel, surprising the heck out of me, actually has Icy Wind. Guard Spec time, then Dragon Dances. Waterfall obliterates mostly everything.
  • Items were bought. All my HM slaves deposited. Time to fight the Elite Four.
  • Will: The biggest threat would be his Jynx... if it had a Special ice move. It only has Ice Punch. Worst Jynx ever. His Xatu tries Me Firsting my Dragon Dance, which surprise, doesn't work. I can safely set up on this thing, and the worst it can do is confuse me, Psychic me, or U-turn into something with better power. Psychic does less than half, so even a crit at full HP won't OHKO without some sort of SpDef drop. 3 Dragon Dances later and I OHKO Xatu with Waterfall. Same happens with Jynx. Dragon Rush Exeggutor. Outrage Slowbro. And Xatu 2.0.
  • Koga: Ariados, having only Poison Jab and Giga Drain for offense, is great setup fodder. Poison Jab hurts, but it's again a 3HKO (kind of wish I had the Eviolite from Gen 5...). I use 3 Dragon Dances on Ariados then KO it. I use Full Restores a lot for when I happen to get Poisoned. Forretress comes out, and I use it as an opportunity for 2 more Dragon Dances and KO it. Dragon Rush OHKO’s Muk, thankfully. Outrage OHKO’s Crobat and Venomoth. Bit luck based (Explosion would’ve been an OHKO) but not that bad.
  • Bruno: Hitmontop is strong, but it’s not that bad, since all it does is try Countering me when I’m not attacking it at all. I set up a lot and use one X Accuracy for Dragon Rush. It literally does nothing but Counter. I am dead serious. And then I crit it. Poor Hitmontop. What follows is Dragon Rush spam on every member of his team (except Onix, because Waterfall). Not hard at all.
  • Karen: Due to Umbreon’s luckhax in Double Team, I can’t afford to let it set up. Or can I…? Simple fact of the matter; I have X Accuracies. Which means Double Team doesn’t mean a thing to me. Take out Umbreon and Gengar with little trouble. Houndoom down by Waterfall. Then Outrage takes down Murkrow and Vileplume. Meaning… it’s time to face Lance.
  • Champion Lance: It’s kind of ironic that Lance’s room has a bunch of Dratini statues. X Defend on Gyarados so I can survive two Ice Fangs. Goes without saying that any crits are instant KOs. Time to Dragon Dance as much as I can. Because I have a Supereffective move on every Pokemon EXCEPT Gyarados, I only really need extra DD’s to deal with Gyarados. 3 Later (+ Intimidate) and Dragon Rush OHKOs. Dragonite #1 OHKO’d by Dragon Rush. Dragonite #2, same deal. Dragonite #3- Uh oh. I’m out of Dragon Rush… it all comes down to Outrage to OHKO Charizard and Aerodactyl. Outrage cleanly OHKO’s Dragonite Lv 50. Then Charizard… No! Only 2 turns of Outrage! Except… Aerodactyl doesn’t have a supereffective move! I can heal! Full Restore and Rock Slide… does less than half. Watefall OHKOs. I DID IT! WHOO! But the adventure doesn’t end. It’s onwards to Kanto… and Red!

Seraph, Dratini ♂ Lv 59
Dragon Fang
>Dragon Rush
>Waterfall
>Outrage
>Dragon Dance

Challenge Runs:

Old October 5th, 2013 (10:06 AM).
Porygon Z
718!

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Porygon Z
Update #1

Well, I didn't do much as of right now. I just hacked in Hitmonlee, named Rock Lee, and trained him in Route 29 a bit. Tonight I'll bring up more stuff, being ill gives me a chance to play some Crystal. :D

Emblems awarded so far

Owner of Tri-Species Challenge, Version 3.0
Old October 5th, 2013 (08:10 PM).
FinalInsanity

Kanto doesn't have much interesting going on for it besides the gyms. Thankfully, that means very easy updates.
Spoiler:
  • I’m on a boat, *****. Now go back to your grandpappy.
  • Surge: It’s been a long time, Surge. Raichu Double Teams and Thunder Waves me. I just keep on Dragon Dancing. I go for Waterfall and somehow manage to hit and barely not-KO him. I know he’ll heal, so another Dragon Dance… or not. Parahax. Parahax and Evadehax are very present against Raichu. The whole battle, really. Against the odds though, I somehow hit Dragon Rush through 3 or 4 Double Teams and OHKO. Shed Skin removes the paralysis, too. At this point, it’s just your standard Seraph Slaughterfest®, with obnoxious Double Team spam and other such hax.
  • Sabrina: I use one X Spdef as Espeon goes for Skill Swap. I use Dragon Dance, she uses Calm Mind. I go for Outrage and pray for an OHKO, which I do get. Thank god. I have bad experiences with Espeon. Mr. Mime also gets OHKO’d (expected). Sadly only get a 2-turn Outrage… and Alakazam is still faster and gets off Reflect. Then I hit myself. Doh. I’ll just use X SpDefs and heal until Reflect wears off then! Reflect wears off and I go for Outrage as Alakazam uses Reflect again. Still deals WAY over half and barely surviving a Psychic, is a clean 2HKO.
  • Bye-bye a go-go, Team Rocket.
  • Misty: Golduck is pathetically weak. Seriously, lead off with Starmie or something, maybe then I’d lose. The standard 2 Dragon Dances + X Accuracy, then Dragon Rush takes out Golduck. Lapras is a huge issue. I need to use Outrage to OHKO it, otherwise it will OHKO me in return with Ice Beam. Starmie comes out, OHKO with Outrage. ...again, only a 2 Turn Outrage. Where the heck are all my 3-Turn Outrages?! Whatever. Full Restore, Earthquake does over half (thankfully not a crit), then Outrage OHKO’s. Not too bad.
  • Erika: Jumpluff lead? Just Dragon Dance, this’ll be eas- wait U-turn? Oh. Hi Victreebel. Dragon Dance and Victreebel uses Sunny Day. X Accuracy and get hit by… Grass Knot. You’re kidding. Just… Dragon Rush sweep. Please. OHKO Victreebel. OHKO Bellossom- WHAT. It lives with a sliver of health. Whatever, Dragon Rush again. Jumpluff comes out, Outrage OHKO. Tangela, despite your massive Defense stat (and coolness overall), you get OHKO’d. The Kanto section is looking pretty smooth so far… that’ll probably change horribly at Red.

Seraph, Dratini
♂ Lv 66
Amulet Coin
>Dragon Rush
>Waterfall
>Outrage
>Dragon Dance

I highly doubt my moveset will ever change. Unless i get rid of Waterfall for something else, which could happen.

Challenge Runs:

Old October 5th, 2013 (09:23 PM).
Clemstar

How does it work if I wanted to do the Ultimate Challenge but with a Pokémon that was introduced in for example generation 3? How would I complete the solo run for gens 1 and 2?
Old October 6th, 2013 (07:48 AM).
The_epic_Sammy

its been a while, but here my Pokemon diamond update
I just beat Crasher Wake

Tree Sap LV 46
Brick Break
Stone Edge
Horn attack
Arial Ace
Old October 6th, 2013 (08:08 AM).
TheCrystalFlaaffy
The CyndaquilofWar

Quote originally posted by Clemstar:
How does it work if I wanted to do the Ultimate Challenge but with a Pokémon that was introduced in for example generation 3? How would I complete the solo run for gens 1 and 2?
If you're using a Pokémon from generation 3 then you would have to play FireRed/LeafGreen for your Kanto game, and HeartGold/SoulSilver for your Johto game. I know those games weren't released in gen 1 and 2 but they are still located in the Kanto and Johto regions and follow the same plot.

Be warned though FireRed and LeafGreen don't let you evolve Pokémon not from the Kanto Pokedex so you would have to evolve your Pokémon by other means, such as converting your save to a hack that enables the evolution such as FireRed Generations or FireRed Omega. I don't know of any LeafGreen hacks that do this.
Old October 6th, 2013 (03:31 PM).
Clemstar

Quote originally posted by James901:
If you're using a Pokémon from generation 3 then you would have to play FireRed/LeafGreen for your Kanto game, and HeartGold/SoulSilver for your Johto game. I know those games weren't released in gen 1 and 2 but they are still located in the Kanto and Johto regions and follow the same plot.

Be warned though FireRed and LeafGreen don't let you evolve Pokémon not from the Kanto Pokedex so you would have to evolve your Pokémon by other means, such as converting your save to a hack that enables the evolution such as FireRed Generations or FireRed Omega. I don't know of any LeafGreen hacks that do this.
Alright that sounds reasonable Thanks
Old October 7th, 2013 (04:16 AM).
Buzz Buzz

Did the Kanto part of my Charizard Crystal solo run. I defeated the gym leaders in no particular order (so just look at the screens to know which order I followed). Only Red remains and I must say it will be a first, because even though I've owned Crystal (and Silver) for more than 10 years somehow I managed to never defeat Red.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:

Jason the Charizard (M) @ Lv.80
Slash
Flamethrower
Dragon Rage
Wing Attack

HM Slave(s):
Spoiler:

Totodile
Cut
Surf

Machop
Strength

Spearow
Fly

Goldeen
Waterfall

Magnemite
Flash

Quote originally posted by James901:

Quote originally posted by Clemstar:
Alright that sounds reasonable Thanks
Also, if you're able to use the Universal Randomizer you can use it to enable the National Dex in Fire Red, Leaf Green, Emerald, ... and to disable Trade Evo's.
SR - Ho-Oh - X

Completed
SR - Venusaur (Soul Silver), Charizard (Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum), Blastoise (Blue), Pidgeot (Fire Red), Arbok (Heart Gold), Raichu (X), Clefable (Fire Red), Dugtrio (Fire Red), Golduck (Fire Red, Ruby), Arcanine (Leaf Green), Poliwrath (Fire Red), Golem (Sapphire), Rhyhorn (Emerald), Omastar (Leaf Green), Zapdos (Silver), Mew (Fire Red, Silver), Typhlosion (Leaf Green), Feraligatr (X), Houndoom (Leaf Green), Tyranitar (Leaf Green), Swampert (Fire Red, Sapphire), Exploud (Diamond), Torkoal (Fire Red), Absol (Leaf Green), Kyogre (Fire Red), Infernape (Black), Chesnaught (X)
Persona - Sacred Gold
Old October 7th, 2013 (05:56 AM).
Porygon Z
718!

Update #2

I think I broke the rules. But I had to.

Here's the thing: I just beat the second Gym Leader, and I'm on to Ilex Forest. The Rival shows up, and starts with a Gastly. I have nothing to hurt him, having only Normal and Fighting-type moves. So I let him defeat me.

And here's what I've done: I trained my Totodile (HM Slave), up to Lv. 13 to get Water Gun, only to defeat the Gastly and move on in the battle and in the game. Is that allowed? Or do I have to restart the challenge?

I even thought about teaching Mud Slap to Hitmonlee, but I wrongfully gave it to Totodile.

I'm at the beginning of Ilex Forest at the moment, waiting for some answers, maybe from the owner of the challenge.

Emblems awarded so far

Old October 7th, 2013 (08:07 AM). Edited October 7th, 2013 by FinalInsanity.
FinalInsanity

I've just about hit a brick wall with fighting Red.
Spoiler:
  • Janine: Crobat is actually a threatening lead. Or, it WOULD be if it had any decent attacks… Wing Attack is not decent. Though it does have Screech. x3 Dragon Dances, then Waterfall to KO Crobat… or not. Freakin’ sliver of health. She Full Restores, I KO it with 2 more Waterfalls. And then Ariados. And then Ariados 2.0. Then Outrage on Weezing for another OHKO. And then Venomoth. Good god. Seraph is a monster.
  • Snorlax has Leftovers. I want those Leftovers. Master Ball expended.
  • Brock: ...This is Brock, and I have Waterfall. Dragon Dance twice, Waterfall Graveler for an OHKO. Let Leftovers do their thing. Same goes for Rhyhorn. And Onix. Not Kabutops though, but I do get a lucky flinch. Omastar uses protect as I lock myself into Outrage. Whatever. Not an OHKO, but close. Brock Full Restores, I get… a lucky 3 turn Outrage! Except he has another Full Restore. And a third. I use Dragon Dance as he protects, then OHKO with Outrage. Not hard.
  • A Choice Scarf, mother? That’s… I appreciate the sentiment, but I really don’t need it at all. Muscle Band on the other hand… is very nice.
  • Blaine: For insurance, I use one Dragon Dance. Magcargo uses Sunny Day, but that doesn’t help much when it’s still x2 weak to Water under the sun. Although it does barely survive… and uses Smog, which deals exactly 10 damage and is then healed by Leftovers. Good job Magcargo, you’re totally useless. He gets Full Restored as I Waterfall again, and a second time to KO. Given the harsh sunlight and the fact that Blaine only has 2 Pokemon left, I decide to just go straight for Outrage on Magmar. Why the heck not. OHKO’d. Sunlight fades as Rapidash comes out, which… is insignificant because it gets OHKO’d anyways by Outrage. How easy.
  • Blue: Easily, the toughest battle thus far. First turn Dragon Dance, as he sets up Trick Room. It’s worth mentioning any Psychic crits from Exeggutor are an instant death. I also deposited all my HM slaves so that Arcanine’s Roar would be useless. I use an X SpDef as Exeggutor goes for Psychic. With Trick Room up, I use an X Attack instead of Dragon Dancing as he misses Hypnosis. I use a Guard Spec to protect from Intimidate and potential Psychic SpDef drops. He goes for Hypnosis and Shed Skin immediately gets rid of Sleep. Hah! I use another X Attack and he gets Hypnosis again. And Shed Skin cures it again. Perfect timing, as the Trick Room now wears off. I go straight for Outrage; no need to waste time with Dragon Rush preparations. OHKO. Gyarados comes out and Intimidate is useless because of the Guard Spec. OHKO with Outrage. Arcanine comes out… again Intimidate is useless, and I miraculously got a 3-Turn Outrage! Arcanine gets OHKO’d. Rhydon worries me. It’s strong. I use an X Defend as he goes for Earthquake, it does about half. I Full Restore and eat another Earthquake. Then I Waterfall for an OHKO, and DING! to Lv 72. Machamp would be scary if I weren’t a million times faster. And I OHKO it with Outrage. Pidgeot is the last Pokemon. Outrage for a clean, no-questions-asked, one-shot. That’s it! That’s all 8 badges of Kanto! It’s time for the hardest battle, Red.
  • Or not. I attempted Red at Lv 75 (used 3 Rare Candies) and it’s just… either going to require an insane amount of luck, or is flat-out impossible at that level. Pikachu one-shots with Volt Tackle or Iron Tail without an X Defend. And I have no way of removing that Light Ball or outspeeding it in the first place without some boosts. Thus, I move on to grinding at the E4 Rematch. I’m not thrilled to have to do this, as it will likely take me a very long time to reach a level where i can actually handle Pikachu; but when I do, I’ll be able to finish this run. Thankfully, Elite Four grinding doesn’t necessarily mean I have to beat them; I just have to gain EXP, not beat the E4. Good thing, too, because Lance looks ridiculous to beat with Solo Dratini, given he leads off with Salamence.
  • Plans for Red: Grind up to Lv 80ish, farm 4000 coins just in case I need Double Team’s luckhax. Red is already a very luck-reliant battle, so why not throw a little evasion spam into the mix?

The issue with Red that really bothers me; it is entirely doable at my current level. However, it is very luck reliant. A single crit = death (except maybe from Quick Attack) and it happens a lot. I can get super-setup, get him in an AI loop of Thunderbolt>Hyper Potion>QuickAttack>Setup>Thunderbolt, which would more or less equal an instant win; but crits screw it up and make it very, very luck reliant.

Still, I have confidence this can be done, especially with Double Team. We'll see how this goes.

Oh, and the Hail isn't actually an issue. Thanks to Leftovers, the Hail damage is completely cancelled out. It's only a problem if I hit 11 HP or lower, at which point the Hail will kill me before Lefties can heal it up. It's only happened once or twice though.

EDIT: The deed is done.

All things must come to an end. As is the way it must be.

However, this is not a sad thing. In this instance, this is a very, very good thing.

Spoiler:

• Red General Info: Dragon Rush needs 2 X Accuracies to be at its fullest potential. With only 1, it has a ~3% chance to miss, which is unacceptable considering all of the luck-reliance in this battle already. Any crits from anything, at any time, are death. I need, NEED to max out my Attack, Evasion, and Special Defense (for surviving Blizzard, on the VERY off chance that Lapras or Blastoise survive and hit me with it). If I ever go below 12 HP, I will die from Hail. At 2 X Defends, Quick Attack from full HP will put me into a range where Iron Tail/Volt Tackle will not KO without a crit; thus, the AI goes for Thunderbolt instead, which I can survive with no boosts. This allows me to get the AI stuck in a loop of Thunderbolt>Heal>Quick Attack>Setup, ad infinitum unless I get hit with a crit by anything other than Quick Attack (at full health, Crit QA will not kill). By spamming Double Team on my setup turns, I can become a nigh invincible dodge-tank. On the off chance that Thunderbolt/Volt Tackle paralyzes me, that is not a big deal. Full Restores/Shed Skin take care of that quite handily. Static is not an issue, for one sole reason: I, myself, am not going to kill Pikachu.
  • Pikachu: X Defend, Iron Tail MISS! Iron Tail def drop, Double Team. X Defend, Quick Attack (14 HP, very close). Hyper Potion, Quick Attack crit (AND I LIVE!). Hyper Potion, Quick Attack. X Defend, Iron Tail MISS! Thunderbolt, Double Team (16 HP). Hyper Potion, Quick Attack. Thunderbolt, Double Team. Hyper Potion, Quick Attack MISS! Thunderbolt MISS, Double Team. Thunderbolt, Double Team. Hyper Potion, Thunderbolt MISS! Red’s Full Restore (hail chip damage), Double Team (now at +6 Evade). Thunderbolt MISS, Dragon Dance. Thunderbolt MISS, Dragon Dance. Dragon Dance (I now outspeed), Thunderbolt MISS! Dragon Dance, Thunderbolt MISS! Dragon Dance, Thunderbolt MISS! Dragon Dance (+6 Attack/Speed), Thunderbolt MISS! X Accuracy, Thunderbolt… hit. Bad luck, bah. Hyper Potion, Volt Tackle hit?! Horrible luck! Hyper Potion, Thunderbolt hit (TERRIBLE luck). Hyper Potion, Iron Tail MISS! X Accuracy (now +2 Accuracy), Thunderbolt MISS! X SpDef, Thunderbolt MISS! X SpDef, Iron Tail MISS! X SpDef, IRON TAIL MISS! Pikachu dies from Hail damage. Static never has a chance to go off.
  • Lapras: Dragon Rush barely doesn’t OHKO. Blizzard hits, I live. Hyper Potion, Blizzard hits. I come to realize Blizzard MUST ignore accuracy checks in Hail, or I’m just getting VERY unlucky. Dragon Rush for the KO.
  • Snorlax: Due to having really crappy SpA, I feel safe going for Hyper Potion as it Blizzards. Deals roughly half. Dragon Rush + 1 Turn Hail = Snorlax OHKO.
  • Charizard: Charizard, due to NOT having Blizzard or any always-accurate-attacks, has to break through Double Team to hit. I Hyper Potion as he misses with Dragon Pulse. Awesome, at full HP! Waterfall for a CLEAN OHKO.
  • Blastoise: Has Blizzard, crit would kill… except I OHKO it NO QUESTIONS ASKED with Dragon Rush. Heck yes.
  • Venusaur: Dragon Rush cleanly OHKO’s.

...I did it. I beat Red. I beat Red? ...I BEAT RED!

Was Double Team worth it? Yes. No questions asked. Without it, not only would this battle have been even more luck reliant, it may very well have been impossible, as I would not be able to set up X SpDefs on Pikachu, which were absolutely critical to surviving Blizzard.

Red was, fittingly, the absolute hardest battle in the run. And will likely be the hardest battle in all of Solo Dratini.

I’m not quite sure which game I’ll do next. Whichever one it is, I won’t be playing on console, which means I’ll be able to record videos for it. Kind of a weird thing to suddenly do partway through an Ultimate run, yes, but I wanted at least one of these runs on console, and Soulsilver seemed the best fit.

But that is the end of SoulSilver’s chapter in this journey. It’s sad, but all good things must come to an end. Farewell, Johto.

Final Stats:

Seraph, Dratini ♂ Lv 78
Relaxed Nature, Often lost in thought
Leftovers, Ability: Shed Skin
HP: 176 Attack: 136
Def: 99 SpA: 112
SpD: 104 Spe: 114
>Dragon Rush
>Waterfall
>Double Team
>Dragon Dance

Challenge Runs:

Old October 7th, 2013 (12:54 PM).
TheCrystalFlaaffy
The CyndaquilofWar

Quote originally posted by Porygon Z:
Update #2

I think I broke the rules. But I had to.

Here's the thing: I just beat the second Gym Leader, and I'm on to Ilex Forest. The Rival shows up, and starts with a Gastly. I have nothing to hurt him, having only Normal and Fighting-type moves. So I let him defeat me.

And here's what I've done: I trained my Totodile (HM Slave), up to Lv. 13 to get Water Gun, only to defeat the Gastly and move on in the battle and in the game. Is that allowed? Or do I have to restart the challenge?

I even thought about teaching Mud Slap to Hitmonlee, but I wrongfully gave it to Totodile.

I'm at the beginning of Ilex Forest at the moment, waiting for some answers, maybe from the owner of the challenge.

Okay, seeing as Hitmonlee is unable to learn any moves by level up that are capable of hitting Ghost types until it could get Foresight at level 36 I am going to let this slide, but only because Mud-Slap is a very weak move with on 20 base power. Next time make sure you teach Hitmonlee a TM to hit them.
Old October 8th, 2013 (05:11 AM). Edited October 8th, 2013 by AoTora.
AoTora

Nature: Calm
Actually what I do for pokemon that are not from first gen I use randomizer to randomize them into the game as starters - and I choose the option to get national dex at the beginning of the game so I don't have to worry about evolutions (Hacking is still not working for me for some odd reason )

Anyways- What I stopped by for is just to say that I finally completed my Sceptile solo run on FR - It wasn't that challenging at all Even ice types were piece of cake for him :3 This one was probably my favourite out of solo runs I did - probably because I did it with my favourite starter out of them all The only thing I don't really like on sceptile is that he doesn't learn all that many moves Although Leaf Blade is an awesome move for sure :3

So here is the final team:

Geeckee (Sceptile), male, lvl 84, Ability: Overgrow (I never use these abilities so I don't like them all that much on starters ), Calm nature

Mega Punch
Pursuit
Dig
Leaf Blade

I like his moveset - It was good for pretty much any type I faced

Spoiler:

And I am still working on horsea solo run - that thing is hard to level up

And I am going to start another solo run in the mean time - Cacnea/Cacturne also on FR - another grass type pokemon I fell in love with in anime and it was an awesome member in my team in several nuzlockes/randomizer nuzlocks so I fell like I should be using it more :3

Started Cacnea solo run :D

I chose cacnea and my rival chose squirtle - I had absorb already so I easily defeated him - got the parcel and got back and did some grinding while I was heading back to the lab. I grinded up to level 10 - yet I still had troubles defeating his pidgey that was spamming sand attack everywhere. Forest was just painful - every weedle decided to poison me and get a ton of crits on me so there was a lot of running back to pc and healing up D: Brock was just a joke - absorb everything and win! Defeated all the trainers and I am about to enter mount moon.

Team:

Jamie (Cacnea), male, lvl 19, Serious nature, Ability: Sand Veil

Poison sting
Leer
Absorb
Leech Seed

Do what you believe in and believe in what you do. All else is a waste of energy and time ~ Nisargadatta.

Love is the only power that can change an enemy into a friend. ~ Martin Luther King.

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, Crossing Jordan and some other series. I am also Harry Potter fan and Disney fan (I love Frozen!) - I also like other animes beside Pokemon.
Old October 8th, 2013 (10:23 AM). Edited October 9th, 2013 by maughany18.
maughany18

Username: Maughany18
Pokemon of Choice: Lapras
Challenge: Single
Game(s): Leaf Green

Rather looking forward to this, seems like it'll be fun

Update #1

Me and the hasty Grace set off on our adventure, annihilating our rival's charmander. We then hurried to get Oaks parcel and then deliver it to him and embark on our adventure. After a little grinding on the way to Viridian I challenged my rival again and defeated him with ease.

Then we headed onwards to Viridian Forest which I cleared with ease, healed up and challenged Brock. Grace was only a level 11 but since she's a baws she dispatched the whole gym without taking any damage. I received the running shoes and set off to Mt. Moon, running through it and swatting the trainers. I left the cave with high hopes of conquering nugget bridge and those hopes were met, completing nugget bridge with ease. I helped Bill in his predicament then fought Misty, expecting it to be a bit of a challenge but due to Grace's power we brushed off her Starmie.

On our way to the SS Anne I caught an Oddish so I could actually teach cut to a pokemon to get to the gym. Once I visited the pokemon centre we went onto the SS Anne and easily beat it, Grace barely took any damage (I'm starting to think I made a great choice with her) and yet again we demolished our rival and then picked up HM01 from the captain and departed the ship, waving to it as it left the port. After it left I taught oddish cut and then took on the Vermillion gym, expecting a little challenge. I beat the trainers easily but I got paralyzed by Lt. Surge's Raichu, who then used double team twice. There was some parahax and a few misses but ultimately I beat Surge and claimed his badge.

I went back to Cerulean and got my free bike and went to rock tunnel. After walking about for a while and only getting lost once we emerged from the tunnel, healed up and headed over to celadon city, ready to face Erika and that is where I'm at now.

Grace the Lapras (Female) Hasty Natured, Shell Armour ability. She's a nice, ripe level 39

Moves;

Water Pulse
Body Slam
Ice Beam
Rest

Update #2

Beat Erika and then went to Rocket Corner to beat TR and get enough money for Thunderbolt. Once I got tbolt and taught it to Grace I headed over to Fuschia City to go on a safari. Went to the safari and got Surf and taught it to Grace so now my moveset was complete. Challenged Koga and destroyed him. On to Saffron City to rescue Silph Co, haded Giovanni's ass to him then did the same to Sabrina.

Grace is now level 60 and knows;

Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Rest
Old October 9th, 2013 (07:31 AM).
Porygon Z
718!

Update #3

And the problem is there, again. This time, there's a gym full of it!

I'm now in Ecruteak Town, and I'm thinking about a strategy to defeat the Gym Leader and the Rival, which has a Haunter. Options are:

- I hack in a Mud Slap TM (the first one was wrongfully taught to Totodile).
- I get every single Gastly/Haunter/Gengar Curse me, then switch in and out, and Curse me again to let them faint.

There could be a third option... I passed on learning Mind Reader, would that move allow me to hit Ghost-types with Fighting-type moves? Maybe a fourth... I could catch a Hoothoot, use Foresight on everyone, and good game. But could I use it?

What should I do? In the meanwhile, I grinded as much as I could.

Emblems awarded so far

Old October 9th, 2013 (08:15 AM).
Buzz Buzz

Quote originally posted by Porygon Z:
Update #3

And the problem is there, again. This time, there's a gym full of it!

I'm now in Ecruteak Town, and I'm thinking about a strategy to defeat the Gym Leader and the Rival, which has a Haunter. Options are:

- I hack in a Mud Slap TM (the first one was wrongfully taught to Totodile).
- I get every single Gastly/Haunter/Gengar Curse me, then switch in and out, and Curse me again to let them faint.

There could be a third option... I passed on learning Mind Reader, would that move allow me to hit Ghost-types with Fighting-type moves? Maybe a fourth... I could catch a Hoothoot, use Foresight on everyone, and good game. But could I use it?

What should I do? In the meanwhile, I grinded as much as I could.

As James pointed out before Hitmonlee learns Foresight by leveling up at level 36. Thus allowing you to only have to use Hitmonlee.
SR - Ho-Oh - X

Completed
Persona - Sacred Gold
Old October 9th, 2013 (08:15 AM).
FinalInsanity

Alright, I've decided to to Pokemon Red as the next chapter of Solo Dratini. I do have one question before I get down to it though;

Due to Dratini's horrible level-up movepool, Brock will... not necessarily be hard, but very very tedious, as my only moves are Wrap, Leer, and Thunder Wave (unless I wanted to grind to Lv 30 to learn... Slam... or Dragon Rage at... Lv 40...) which means the battle would entirely be "Leer 6 times on both Pokemon, then Wrap to death."

However, in RBY, there's a glitch that lets you skip past Brock and go to Mt. Moon without fighting him. I would still fight Brock before Misty; however, in the first room of Mt. Moon, there's a Water Gun TM that would help out immensely in the gym. I'm not sure if it qualifies as "cheating" though, as it does not require any sort of outside device to accomplish, as it is simply an oversight in the programming. So then would I be allowed to glitch into Mt. Moon and get Water Gun before fighting Brock, or not?

Challenge Runs:

Old October 9th, 2013 (09:59 AM). Edited October 9th, 2013 by Porygon Z.
Porygon Z
718!

Quote originally posted by Buzz Buzz:
As James pointed out before Hitmonlee learns Foresight by leveling up at level 36. Thus allowing you to only have to use Hitmonlee.
Nice, nice! I'll follow your advice and move on with the challenge, thank you! I'll provide an update later on.

EDIT: Update #4

Man, what a huge update I have for you! Thanks to lots of boredom, speed button, and a new strategy to get past Ghost-type, I made my way to... well, Mt. Silver. :D

We had a long (actually, short ) journey across two regions, sixteen gym badges and lots of trainers. Only bad thing is: why doesn't Hitmonlee learn Earthquake in Gen II?

Emblems awarded so far

Old October 9th, 2013 (12:21 PM).
Buzz Buzz

Well, here's my final update on my Charizard Crystal solo run. I defeated Red and finished the game.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:

Jason the Charizard (M) @ Lv.81
Slash
Flamethrower
Dragon Rage
Wing Attack
SR - Ho-Oh - X

Completed
Persona - Sacred Gold
Old October 9th, 2013 (10:28 PM). Edited October 9th, 2013 by TheCrystalFlaaffy.
TheCrystalFlaaffy
The CyndaquilofWar

Quote originally posted by FinalInsanity:
Alright, I've decided to to Pokemon Red as the next chapter of Solo Dratini. I do have one question before I get down to it though;

Due to Dratini's horrible level-up movepool, Brock will... not necessarily be hard, but very very tedious, as my only moves are Wrap, Leer, and Thunder Wave (unless I wanted to grind to Lv 30 to learn... Slam... or Dragon Rage at... Lv 40...) which means the battle would entirely be "Leer 6 times on both Pokemon, then Wrap to death."

However, in RBY, there's a glitch that lets you skip past Brock and go to Mt. Moon without fighting him. I would still fight Brock before Misty; however, in the first room of Mt. Moon, there's a Water Gun TM that would help out immensely in the gym. I'm not sure if it qualifies as "cheating" though, as it does not require any sort of outside device to accomplish, as it is simply an oversight in the programming. So then would I be allowed to glitch into Mt. Moon and get Water Gun before fighting Brock, or not?
I know how much of a pain it is to grind so I completely understand where you're coming from, and grinding to level 30-40 just to beat Brock would be ridiculous. Also both of Brock's Pokemon know Defense Curl so the plan of using Leer to get -6 Defense won't really work out. Sooooo, I will allow this. But. After beating Brock try not to use Water Gun until you fairly get to the location in Mt. Moon that it can be obtained.

Sorry for making you wait for my reply when you could have already made a lot of progress.

Small Announcement

Hey everyone,

Sorry if updates seem a bit slower than usual. I've just been swamped with school work, I'm in my first year of college, and right now it's 2:30am and I'm still up doing homework. Also I have a job interview Friday so if I get the job updates may be even slower. BUT! I will do my best to update at least once a week.

Good luck on your challenges everyone, and have fun! :D
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links