The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 11th, 2010, 04:48 PM
PearlShipper4Life
LuffyxHancock Shipper

I like them, so I don't mind. However, with Brock leaving and contests not going to be in it, you'd think now they'd get rid of Team Rocket. Just keep Ash and Pikachu cuz there the main characters. Is it cuz the owners of Pokemon love them or some thing?

LuffyxHancock shipper-One Piece.
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Vernikova
Booted out - don't be like me!

They were inserted to appeal to the older audiance of the show. I don't have the link right now but I'll post it when I decide to start searching for it. They're probably still there for the same reason.
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Anna
Mad Queen
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
They're there because they are the REAL heroes of the show.

- Aquacorde Themes -

- Aqua/Magma Fanclub -

- RT/AH Fanclub -

- RWBY Fanclub -

- Watch-Along Club -

- Pairs - Family - Lovelies -

- Theme - Av Art - Sig Gif -

The Choice Is Made
The Task Is Set
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM
The Sly Fox
Community Supporter

I think they keep them around for humor. I always thought that they were pretty humorous through the years.
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:40 PM
CptnSmonge
Pineapple Pirate

I'm holding out for a merging one day where Jessie/James can take the place of "female character" and "third wheel/Brock Replacement" in Team Ash. Then give us some truly bad blokes that are believable villains.
Your father might have drowned himself,
It's still a mystery♪

------------------------------------------------
I DO calculate stat values, but not because my pokemon are drones or that I meta-game. It's because it's stupid to not emphasize where your pokemon is best, or embellish where it's lacking.
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:57 AM
weedle_mchairybug

Originally Posted by Vernikova View Post
They were inserted to appeal to the older audiance of the show. I don't have the link right now but I'll post it when I decide to start searching for it. They're probably still there for the same reason.
How are they more "appealing" to the older audiance? To me, and maybe to some others, they are as "appealing" to the older audiance as Barney is to teens. Meaning, not even close. Especially given the lame puns as well as the overall lack of seriousness about them (You might argue that the former was due to the dub, but the latter applies to the Japanese version).

Now, if they actually committed several atrocities that would cause people to come extremely close to being killed (similar to The Joker from Batman), or had the amount of villainy similar to that of a Star Wars villain like Palpatine or Darth Vader, then I might see why they would be "appealing" to an older audience.
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Vernikova

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug
How are they more "appealing" to the older audiance? To me, and maybe to some others, they are as "appealing" to the older audiance as Barney is to teens. Meaning, not even close. Especially given the lame puns as well as the overall lack of seriousness about them (You might argue that the former was due to the dub, but the latter applies to the Japanese version).

Now, if they actually committed several atrocities that would cause people to come extremely close to being killed (similar to The Joker from Batman), or had the amount of villainy similar to that of a Star Wars villain like Palpatine or Darth Vader, then I might see why they would be "appealing" to an older audience.
Older audiences as in adults that are watching it with their kids. Not 20-year-old guys that want to see blood and death.
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Musica
PPPPPDPPPPP

Nature: Timid
Team Rocket... Humor. Even some are real evil, they're there for excitement, humor, etc. Jessie, James, and Meowth should still be there as Ash and Pikachu are.
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Naruto Uzumaki
memories.
Community Supporter

Probably because they have been in the anime since the beginning and they are liked.
Your siren wails endlessly
Open up

l MAL l
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:52 AM
GaXeL
Feraligatr Master

Nature: Lax
I miss gary and snap, they need special appearances or something

My sub
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Ursula
have we got a deal?
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Ursula Send a message via Skype™ to Ursula
I love Team Rocket, and I don't ever want them to go XD;
I do kind of miss when they were the people who were the main bad guys like in Kanto/OI/Johto, but..oh well
Also, I miss the old motto ;~; The other day, I was listening to the theme, and it was like..epic :B
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Vernikova

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaXeL
I miss gary and snap, they need special appearances or something
Gary was somewhat involved in the Team Galactic plot in Diamond and Pearl and appeared in the finale as well. Snap is rotting in a ditch with Sakura and Casey though.
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:40 AM
weedle_mchairybug

Older audiences as in adults that are watching it with their kids. Not 20-year-old guys that want to see blood and death.
First off, I do not wish to see blood or death. However, I do realize that trying to make villains as camp as possible simply would not work well.

Besides, I've watched Star Wars since I was a kid, so as long as they make the villains PG level on a similar scale to Star Wars, it will be OK. I don't want the villains to be like RE4 or like Horror villains, or even "Conker's Bad Fur Day" levels, I just want them to be serious enough to actually be labelled as a threat, since that's the point of villains, to generate conflict and also be a threat as a result of said conflict. I mean, several of the "classic" Disney villains were portrayed to be a threat, even though it was geared towards kids. I just want something similar to that, that's all.
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Kirbychu
Scyther

Two words: Comic relief. Team Rocket have the most personality out of all the main characters, and they can make the show interesting. But if you ask me, they need to stay out of gym battles. We'll probably get a new J type villain anyways, or team Plasma could play a big role.

Paired to cr4y

Old August 12th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Vernikova

Quote:
First off, I do not wish to see blood or death. However, I do realize that trying to make villains as camp as possible simply would not work well.

Besides, I've watched Star Wars since I was a kid, so as long as they make the villains PG level on a similar scale to Star Wars, it will be OK. I don't want the villains to be like RE4 or like Horror villains, or even "Conker's Bad Fur Day" levels, I just want them to be serious enough to actually be labelled as a threat, since that's the point of villains, to generate conflict and also be a threat as a result of said conflict. I mean, several of the "classic" Disney villains were portrayed to be a threat, even though it was geared towards kids. I just want something similar to that, that's all.
I don't think it matters what kind of villains you want to see because those are the villains you're going to see.
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
RivalGator
I hate them all.

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmartOne View Post
They're there because they are the REAL heroes of the show.
Agreed.

I would much rather watch Team Rocket (Jessie, James and Meowth, at least) before Ash and Pikachu! Tch! lol.

The only thing I'm not too wild about is how they are the comic relief. I used to love them to DEATH when I was a child and into the Pokemon anime (more than I am now) and they would come on and cause problems for Ash and Pikachu. It seemed like they were meaner back then. They always goofed it up, but they were still meaner. I thought they were totally cool. Nowadays they do a lot of weird things... Like now they are there only for comic relief and nothing else. At least they had more of a story back then.
Doesn't matter. They are probably the only characters meant for comic relief that I liked right off the bat and still do. I would miss them to death if they were gone. But I would like to see some meaner villains.

Wouldn't mind Domino coming back and seeing what all she could do. (I bet she's Giovanni's daughter! I'm willing to be money on it!!!)

"Ah, the past... The only thing dead that smells good."
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Ayesha
惚け

Nature: Lonely
I'm guessing they still keep them as a comic relief. Mainly Team Rocket provides a lot of laughs on the show, and they are the type of people who are determined, even though they continuously fail. So I'm guessing that is why they are being kept. I personally like them. But the classic TR was probably a little better than what they are now. It just got a little boring after a bit, I guess.

Old August 12th, 2010, 04:21 PM
weedle_mchairybug

I don't think it matters what kind of villains you want to see because those are the villains you're going to see.
Well, I'm not watching the show, anyways, both due to the self imposed boycott as well as my not having cable anymore.

And there is a way to make the villain actually be threatening and be funny at the same time. Want an example? Try Mark Hamill's variation of The Joker. The problem is that Team Rocket isn't really threatening, they are just some guys who crack a joke and ultimately get thunderbolted away. In order for a villain to be effective, they need to be a threat as well.
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Tomackze
Drowzee

They are there for comic relief and they also get a few side episodes during each season which does not hurt...

But I agree, I'd rather they just get rid of Team Rocket, they are so useless
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Vernikova

Quote:
Well, I'm not watching the show, anyways, both due to the self imposed boycott as well as my not having cable anymore.

And there is a way to make the villain actually be threatening and be funny at the same time. Want an example? Try Mark Hamill's variation of The Joker. The problem is that Team Rocket isn't really threatening, they are just some guys who crack a joke and ultimately get thunderbolted away. In order for a villain to be effective, they need to be a threat as well.
Oh right. I forgot about your boycott.

To bad they were never meant to be threatening.
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM
AceDragonite
Champion

Nature: Bold
guys remember Pokemon is A KIDS SHOW, not for us old coots, but yeah I like the "Real" teams better than team rocket.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:14 PM
TokioHumaNeko
Pokemon Zodiac Wishes

Send a message via AIM to TokioHumaNeko Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TokioHumaNeko Send a message via Yahoo to TokioHumaNeko Send a message via Skype™ to TokioHumaNeko
They need to finally let Jessie and James quit Team Rocket,Get married like in the Manga,and come out with a new team like what they're gonna use in the new games....Use Team Plasma instead of Team rocket for the new anime....
Type → Electric
Abilities → Intimidate | Rivalry
It has eyes which can see through anything. It spots and captures prey hiding behind objects.
[???=<game and stuff goes here>]Challenges[/???] | Story Site

~*~*DaRkSiDe Of ThE sUn~*~*~
~*(IcH bIn HuMaNoId)*~
~*Tokio Hotel Forever*~
Help me by joining Team Cosmic Destiny!
Tokio Hotel Fan For Life,honey! ;D

Yay!!Bill and the others are finally hatched!!!
(From left to right: Bill,Tom,Gustav,Georg,"Alien" and..."Humanoid!")
Danke for helping them! <3333
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AQnflh-diM
My version of Automatic Acoustic! It's been Remixed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrO-zXOls30
Help me with Cosmic Destiny!!! Please!
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:28 PM
okjoek
Hoenn champ

Nature: Calm
Team rocket has some nice storylines like one i saw just the other day with a noodle shop inspired by them... and was quite emotional how they teamed up and allmost outdid a metagoss with their teamwork while ash brock and dawn were less reffered in the episode.

If they did quit It would be nice to have them and the main charicters make up forgive eachother then move on but as long as they have the potential to be buffed up while still maintaining humor then by all means keep them.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links