The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:29 PM
derozio
My ghost is whispering to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely

Practicing drawing hands tbh. I'm sorta happy as well as unsatisfied with both lol. No reference used here.

Oh and I'm aware of the fact that I made the hands too small in comparison to the head of the girl in second one. :p also sorry for the lq pics. Phone won't let me upload hq stuff.

Last edited by derozio; September 14th, 2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Fairy
believe

I can see you're getting there, Dero. Your eraser marks show me you're using your artistic eye to find the right places. I see you're using guidelines to draw, so you've got your basics down. What you really need is a good dose of Anatomy101!

Your first piece, I think it's great that you're taking on perspective so heavily, but that's a real challenge. Right now, I see your strong point being faces and, oddly enough, hands. Despite being out of line with the characters, your hands are actually surprisingly well drawn. When you're practicing, make sure you take the time to work on the things you're good at.

Since you have an aptitude for faces, let me give you a protip. Learn how to draw hair. Really put forth the effort to draw hair, because it's an easy part of the drawing that you can expand to any corner of the paper. I mean, it's anime, you can have blue hair up the wazoo in those pieces and nobody with think otherwise. But, if you can master that, you can automatically drag your skill up and down the piece, making the audiences eye focus more on the "flow" of the drawing as opposed to the details.

Well done Dero. Keep it up and you'll be a regular master!
pixel joint x friend code x dream address
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:38 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Thanks for the crit, gurl. Imma use dem suggestions in mah next serious drawing. For now - Hair yo. What do you think, Jo?
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:08 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Did it in an hour, I think. No reference. Quite happy that I could draw okay-ish female anatomy. Boobs always gave me problems lmao.

edit - another one. Another pose. Mostly same template.

Last edited by derozio; September 18th, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Hey Dero!! Ahhh thanks so much for your comment on my gallery-- and I'm so sorry this comment is coming so late, I really wanted to give a more meaningful comment since I'm super excited that you're getting into drawing! Your sketches look great so far, but let throw in some tips that'll hopefully help you out a little! I'm by no means knowledgable on a lot of technical details in drawing, so take what I say with a grain of salt-- and anyone who just wants to bust my ass for incorrect advice, please feel free!

Jumping right in, to add to what Alexial said about working on hair, you should consider the weight of your hair. Not like the physical weight, but the way you balance your detailed strands on the inside, versus the strands of the outline. If you look particularly at the second bust of the girl you posted, you'll notice that the strands of her hair that you shaded in are quite fine-- but the overall shape of it, the darker outlines, are quite thick! The contrast can be a bit disorienting, so I would suggest choosing either going all out with the finer hair details-- or going full chunky. (But remember, if you go full chunky, there will still be 'sections' of hair, so you can't leave the inside blank like it is on the first sketch with the outstretched hand!)

Spoiler:

I hope you don't mind if I redlined a bit to show you what I mean-- but on this particular work, I just had three particular places I wanted to point out:

1. I think the fat on the arm would actually push this line so that her forearm appears closer than her upper arm. It's just the positioning of the line to change which side of the elbow the fat appears on, but it's quite important!

2. Her whole body is a bit on the short side! It can be quite interesting, trying to proportion a whole person onto a limited space/piece of paper, but better to sacrifice drawing the knees than to squish her down! This tendency to shorten the torso also appeared in the first sketch with the outstretched hand, so I recommend you pay close attention to how long the torso is in relation to the head!

3. Finally, I highly encourage you not to hide the hands! Especially if you're practicing them-- Hiding an arm behind the back like this ends up in an awkward pose, and a missed opportunity to practice the hand-on-hip pose, which is quite common I find!

There's always stuff to improve on, but I seriously commend you on quite a lot of things that I never realized for the longest time when I started drawing that you seem to have picked right up! I'm super impressed that you've paid attention to where hair parts from out of the head, which is something I straight up ignored and didn't understand until just a year or two ago!! It really adds to a piece in my opinion, so great job on that-- and I'm also impressed by your eye for details most people wouldn't even think to consider at first, such as collarbones and defining the location of the knees.

Great job, I can't wait to see more! *V*
Old January 29th, 2014, 01:35 PM
derozio
Community Supporter

That was super freaking helpful, Loki. Dunno if you'll read this or not but thank you very much! :)

Spoiler:

With this, I revive my gallery. Because why the heck not?!

Mainly wanted this to have good hair, face and decent-ish cloth physics (wrinkles and folds). I suck at all. So yeah. Then I got lazy and didn't finish the left arm or his pants at all. Lol.

Last edited by derozio; January 29th, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:35 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Some "Don't lose your way stuff"~
Current theme :3
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:26 AM
CharizardY
Master of Fire

Nature: Bold
Really great artwork. While the text is fairly simple it works with this art style. I noticed your designs are consistent which I think is a great thing. Overall I like your style and it's inspiring.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links