The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
moments.
{quixotic}
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm
I told you over VM what I think in basic terms could be tweaked, but being predominantly a smudge tag, you really need to mix up the smudging and get some effects going on. Some sharper edge smudges, possibly even with clipping masks and definitely sharpening up what you already have would be a nice way to really add some "pahzaz" to the tag.

Colours are, as usual, the strong point of this tag, however I would've tried getting some more dark blues in the background.

One last point, that left side of the focal, the smudging is really weak where it sits on top of him, it looks like soft brushed or something, I think if you can get really hard brushing right up until him, it will help that flow be stronger and possibly add more appeal in the tag. It's a bit, undefined sort of.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:23 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

Nature: Lonely
Yeah, I had a feeling that this tag lacked any hard edged effects which would make it more splendid and that would basically be the basis of any crits on this tag. :B; But seriously, like I said earlier, I'm still a beginner at smudging and tried my best to make some changes. I didn't do much as I was afraid it would turn out bad/was lazy.

The only main change I made was at the flames near his hands. They don't look as awkward as they did before. No more 'soft brush' feel. :D

Anyway, time for another update. Icons this time around! yeahIknowIsuck

Made for my friend Erik, actually. :P
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:36 AM
~Ryukaa
//fennekin
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ryukaa Send a message via Skype™ to ~Ryukaa
Hey, it's that badass looking Tsuna tag of yours. |D
...How did you make it look so good? xDD;;
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Jak
where the fairy flies

Nature: Timid
^ Using his awesome Derozio powers.

Anyway, I like the stuff you made for your friend there. (I would quote but effort...)

This one might be a little too heavy on the orange though, but that's just me. -shrug-
Old February 27th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

Thanks for the comments, guys! And lol yeah, I tend to make the reds, oranges and other warm colors heavy in most of my icons. Sorta a habit of mine. :B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryukaa
Hey, it's that badass looking Tsuna tag of yours. |D
...How did you make it look so good? xDD;;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd
^ Using his awesome Derozio powers.
^. /not really

And updates:

Starring Gokudera. This one took a lot of time. Seriously. Like an hour or so.

^ Tsuna again. XD;
Old February 27th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Alternative
Whoa!

Nature: Impish
Since I'm being told to again...
First thing I saw when I saw this tag is that there's quite a lot going on here. I can see you've used quite a lot of C4D's and lots of pen-tooling, which is always a good thing in a tag. It keeps the eyes busy and it's quite hard not to get bored of your work here. One thing I'd like to point out is that it just seems a little too saturated for my taste. Maybe if you could bring out those colours a bit more, then it would be amazing. I like how you've used blurring in the background effects to give lots of depth and bringing out the focal, which is quite nice. Overall, this is a very nice piece of work, but keep an eye on the saturation levels next time.
Old February 27th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Nameless.
-- just a little love. ♥

Nature: Jolly

I do quite like this tag a lot of yours, it's very nicely done. <3 The colors are really pretty and stand out well. What could have really caught the eye though is if Gokudera was standing out a bit more.
He just seems too dull for the vibrancy going on around him. There may be a little too much going on around him too, but that's just personal tastes really. xD;
I've never been a huge fan of a lot of effects going on. I can say though that i love the blue "swoosh" next to his head on the left side. It accents his face and his flow perfectly. :3

I honestly can't crit the icons cause I have no idea what to say. xD;

o5/o4/11
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:23 AM
aSeRo141414
zZJoennZz inside

Send a message via Yahoo to aSeRo141414 Send a message via Skype™ to aSeRo141414

The color of this looks good for me but I think the C4D looks overuse in this tag because it's full of C4D and the depth is good too.
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:51 AM
moments.
{quixotic}

Because everybody else is :p

Gokudera.png
Colours are as usual, delicious Mr Dero! First thing that sticks out to me though, is the render. I personally think it is a little large for that canvas, that or you should move it up more so we get more of his shoulders and body. It is just cut at a funny point and is sitting weird for me. Also, I reckon you could have blurred some foreground effects too.

While I see you left text off, possibly because of that tip Gummy maybe gave you saying to make a version without text, however in this tag, I can really see that typical Dero box with text on it sitting in that left side which is looking a bit empty. If you don't want text and want to balance the tag a bit more, move the render over to the left just a fraction. It is very heavy with stuff on the right, and nearly empty on the left.

Nice tag though!

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM
Dante
Silver Soul

Thanks everybody! I'll be sure to keep those points in mind..or I'll try to, at least. XD; And seriously Katie, I never thought my icons were SO bad that you can't even crit them. ;;

Oh, and here's gokudera with text. Moo told me text would fit on the left side perfectly. So...here it is:

And a couple of updates:

^ these two (or rather one?) are probably my worst works of late. Idk.

P.S: I tried to keep the sword as the main focus in the second tag. Hence the blurred 'Yamamoto'.
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:10 PM
インフェルノの津波
Beaches and Shores

Nature: Timid
Hey Dero, decided to drop in here and say you've done a wonderful job on some of your graphic art/tags/whatever. Though Deidara bothers me, I feel that the art style wasn't suitable for your kind of work, it looks awkward.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:04 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

Yeah, hit the nail right on head, Erik. That tag turned out really awkward. Thanks for the comment, though! :]
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
keoni
Trainer

I like the way you blur... How exactly do you get that effect? It looks different than a regular blur to me.... I'm not exactly liking that last yamamoto one with the sword as the focal... I'm fond of the gokudera one, but it is a bit too busy. I'm not quite liking the text, but that's a personal preference. kiu.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Dante
Silver Soul

Nothing special, really. All I do is use the 'blur more' or 'blur' filters and erase the parts which don't need blurring via masks. Never really tried other blurs like gaussian or motion blur, tbh. :P

And yeah, something seems off with the tag where sword is the focal. But yeah, in the end, it was just an experiment. XD; And as for the text in the gokudera tag, there's a version without text too. You might have seen that in one of the posts above. Text was added because the left side seemed empty compared to the right side. As for the 'business'...hmm, can't really do anything about that, I guess. XD;

Thanks for the comment, though! :]
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:49 AM
zZJoennZz
Mekakushi Completion... Do it!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Send a message via Skype™ to zZJoennZz
About the yamamoto. you use the sword as the focal, but the image still view yamamoto so it's still distracting.

...mehehehe
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

Yeah, you're right. But blurring out the whole body of Yamamoto...just didn't feel right. I know it is distracting but I couldn't help it. :<
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Dante
Silver Soul

Dropping this profile thingy here. Haven't updated/no comments, so..

Spoiler:

Hope you guys like it.
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Shattered_Soul
Just Because :)

Nature: Relaxed
Wow, I really love your art. The affects you use are amazing, and for majority of your pieces the colour is amazing. The only thing I would say that you would have to work on is text, as well on some of your pieces you need more focal definition. However that seems to be getting better on your more recent tags.

For 3-4 months you've really made alot of progress. And it's obvious that your artwork is getting better as you make more. My advice is to experiment with affects that you have never used before, and expand your style. For graphics it's great to have your own distinct style, however it's also good to have the ability to create different affects. But I can tell you are allready doing that. XD

Anyways, great work so far keep it up!
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Dante
Silver Soul

Haha yeah, I've had issues with focal and text. XD; I'll try to keep those points in mind. Thanks a bunch for your comment, bro. And glad to hear you like my works. <3;

So, update time (yet again!):

Which version do you guys think is better?
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Galukxy
→Not someday.Today is the day.

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via AIM to Galukxy Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Galukxy Send a message via Skype™ to Galukxy
Your newer Graphics are so epic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derozio View Post
Haha yeah, I've had issues with focal and text. XD; I'll try to keep those points in mind. Thanks a bunch for your comment, bro. And glad to hear you like my works. <3;

So, update time (yet again!):

Which version do you guys think is better?

and this is a hard decision between which one is better or not because in my opinion they both look awesome, but I would say the blue one because it gives it a more kind of cool/relaxed feeling.

DA||MAL || Portfolio

Old March 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM
moments.
{quixotic}

TsunaNewTag1-1.png

The blue one is way better because it isn't completely monotonous / loses depth because the colours are all the same.
But yeah, the blue one is better, but feels a tiny bit too blue. If you can bring out the yellows more so it is a fraction closer to the red version it will be great!
Other than that, the text it the only real thing that I feel is weak in this tag. I don't feel like it benefits the tag really at all. It is a bit bland..

But yeah, beautiful depth and lighting and the effects are great. If you removed the text and tweaked the colours a bit as mentioned, this tag will be amazing.
More like this please!

Old March 19th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

Haha, I'm glad you like my works, Galukxy!

And yeah, those yellows are kinda weak. I figured that much later on. :P
As for the text, it was just a personal thing. I know it didn't add to the tag but...I just wanted to throw it inside the tag somewhere. I didn't get any other place besides that one. XD;

Anyway, I just made some alterations. Didn't reduce the blue, but have deleted the text and made the yellows pop out a little more. Is it better?

Also, a new avatar I just made for myself:
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM
moments.
{quixotic}

Much better!

As for the icon, I would say a fraction too monotonous, but from just a easy view point, it looks really good! gotta loosen up my technical eye...
The placement is great, quality of the stock is ridiculously good, and the depth is great.
Lovely icon, nothing really to flaw in it.

Old March 20th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

I knew it'd turn out monotonous. But yeah, I didn't think I could do much with the stock itself. I was trying to go for a hot look anyway. XD;

Also, something else:

I didn't do much. Just some changes in colors, burned/dodged and sharpened some areas. Wasn't really in the mood..but Dad kinda forced me so...
Also, the 'roar' wasn't done by me. XD;
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

No update in a while/no comments, so throwing this in here:

Spoiler:

Dante ftw. <3; Made for my profile. All the arrangements have been made keeping in mind the dimensions of my profile.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links