Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Closed Thread

Old December 17th, 2010 (12:34 PM).
Vacuum

Benfica - Stuttgart
Sevilla - FC Porto
Lech Poznan - SC Braga
Rangers - Sporting CP

Portuguese teams are going to have a hard time, heh. :(

© i Katalyst
Old December 28th, 2010 (03:56 PM).

Nature: Lonely
In EPL = Arsenal
In La liga....no one really
Eridivisie = AJAX
Bundesliga = Borussia Dortmund
Serie A = Juventus

Nationals teams = Colombia of course. And I like a lot Germany

and my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor shall be lifted nevermore
Old December 29th, 2010 (01:23 PM).

Liverpool.
And if I must..England. Lost a lot of interest in the International set up.

I have a team for almost every league :L, But I support Liverpool.
Old January 4th, 2011 (07:20 AM).
Say my name

Wish I had seen this thread sooner. I love football, my national team is Scotland, my SPL team is Celtic, my scottish first division team is Queen of the South, my La Liga team is Barcelona and I don't really have an English team although I kinda like Man U and Arsenal. I noticed that the OP is a Rangers fan so I just thought I'd say... Oo Ah Samaras!
We had 9 players missing and we still managed to win at Ibrox. Good stuff lads :D

PM me yours, I'll add anyone!
Old January 10th, 2011 (11:43 PM).
I heart ROBOT

Nature: Adamant
Favourite sport, and something I know a lot about "/.

Within the EPL I don't really support someone in particular, but I do like Liverpool and Birmingham (unfortunately ). Liverpool I feel don't have a very strong attacking base and seem to rush their football a lot (kinda like the England national teams tactic in the 70's) and I don't think that's really what suits them. I believe they should have fast paced games, but more on the ground passing and agressive movement before the final blow. Birmingham don't actually play that bad, they just don't have the passion to play top flight. In Spain I support Barcelona and always will, call me a 'mainstreamer' but I like them for the way they play, a lot of passes and quick movement before delivering the final blow, and it's the football I like to watch. Luckily for me they have a burst of recent success. I'm Serbian so I support Red Star Belgrade, but too much corruption over there has caused low class football, it seems the glory days wont come back for another 10-15 years. In Italy I support Sampdoria because it's where I lived before coming to Australia, so I sort of picked it up from there. Another unlucky team I guess. My Bundesliga team would have to be Hoffenheim, I was a fan of them before they became top flight, and now that they have the Salihovic and Ibisevic pairing I kinda envy them. But yea, I love the way they play, and on Fifa I don't even have to change the tactics around to dominate with them. I've lost support for the French league, though I used to support Bordeaux but I don't follow them closely enough. Over here in Australia I support Melbourne Heart because they have the same dress code as my favourite Red Star Belgrade, but I guess they play like them too (>.<).

But yea, that was my mouthful.
Old January 11th, 2011 (04:34 AM).
Goomba of wisdom
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Also, Messi is the new Ballon D'or. You can't really say he didn't deserve it, although I think some players did more to get it this year. It was nice to see three Barça players up there, thogh.
Old January 11th, 2011 (06:38 AM).
First Gen Ultimate Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Clubs I support:

Vfl Wolfsburg
Hoffenheim
Manchester City (I'm a big fan of Dzeko)
AC Milan (Fan of Ibrahimovic)

International teams I support:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Main reason is that I have family from there but I grew to really believe in this team. I also believe that the team has players with great potential such as Edin Dzeko, Vedad Ibisevic, Zvjezdan Misimovic, Sejad Salihovic and Miralem Pjanic. Dzeko has recently transferred to Manchester City for 27 million pounds (32.5 million euro),an, apparently, record breaking transfer.
Germany - A great team who, in my opinion, dominated the 2010 World Cup even though they only came third. Mesut Ozil is my favourite player due to his skillful dribbling ability. No wonder he plays for Real Madrid.
Spain - A great 2010 World Cup win, who seem to always keep their cool during a match no matter what the score is and their creative tactics and player make a good mix. Favorite players are David Villa and Andres Iniesta due to their amazing goal scoring ability.

Old January 11th, 2011 (06:25 PM).
I heart ROBOT

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by CharizardManiac:
Clubs I support:

Vfl Wolfsburg
Hoffenheim
Manchester City (I'm a big fan of Dzeko)
AC Milan (Fan of Ibrahimovic)

International teams I support:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Main reason is that I have family from there but I grew to really believe in this team. I also believe that the team has players with great potential such as Edin Dzeko, Vedad Ibisevic, Zvjezdan Misimovic, Sejad Salihovic and Miralem Pjanic. Dzeko has recently transferred to Manchester City for 27 million pounds (32.5 million euro),an, apparently, record breaking transfer.
Germany - A great team who, in my opinion, dominated the 2010 World Cup even though they only came third. Mesut Ozil is my favourite player due to his skillful dribbling ability. No wonder he plays for Real Madrid.
Spain - A great 2010 World Cup win, who seem to always keep their cool during a match no matter what the score is and their creative tactics and player make a good mix. Favorite players are David Villa and Andres Iniesta due to their amazing goal scoring ability.
Haha, the teams I underlined are the teams I also support, for guess what, almost the exact same reasons Though the Ibisevic and Salihovic pairing is my favourite over the old Dzeko and Misimovic pairing. I also prefer Hoffenheim over Wolfsburg but hey, that doesn't matter. I also prefer Iniesta over Villa, but that's only because of that amazing goal Iniesta scored against Chelsea in the last minute of the Champions league semi final. The best bit about that was that I was watching that match with my dad and my godfather, and straight after the Chelsea goal my godfather said "Wouldn't it be funny if Barcelona scored last minute?" But yea, I don't know why I'm blabbing on like that. Heh.
Old January 12th, 2011 (12:57 AM). Edited January 12th, 2011 by CharizardManiac.
First Gen Ultimate Trainer

Yeah I watched the Barca vs Chelsea game. Chelsea's goal looked amazing, just outside the box, perfect amount of power, blasting into the back of the net. Iniesta scored his goal in almost the exact same position as Essien's and ended it as a great game.

Old January 12th, 2011 (04:31 AM).
Goomba of wisdom
CS

Quote originally posted by CharizardManiac:
Yeah I watched the Barca vs Chelsea game. Chelsea's goal looked amazing, just outside the box, perfect amount of power, blasting into the back of the net. Iniesta scored his goal in almost the exact same position as Essien's and ended it as a great game.
I remember watching it on TV. I also remember going all over the house screaming. In fact- guess who wrote the fourth example here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/UEFAChampionsLeague

XD
Old January 12th, 2011 (02:03 PM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lax
As a Manchester United fan, I must express my horror with Arsenal losing to a team a league below them and for Liverpool to lose to a team that was only just promoted.

OH WAIT! THERE IS NO HORROR ON MY PART! XDDDD

Best results ever!
Old February 8th, 2011 (09:54 AM).
Goomba of wisdom
CS

Going to revive this before it's too late, since we'll have the first leg of the CL Round of 16 next week! I'm already looking forward to them.
Old March 7th, 2011 (10:34 AM).

Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Went:
Going to revive this before it's too late, since we'll have the first leg of the CL Round of 16 next week! I'm already looking forward to them.
And I'm going to revive it a day before it goes dead, since we'll have the second leg of the CL Round of 16 this week. :D

No-one mention recent results or how bad Man United's midfield has become during my absence.
Old March 7th, 2011 (01:31 PM).
Goomba of wisdom
CS

Kuyt's hat trick was probably the worst one ever scored XD But anyway, Arsenal are just this far away from the lead.

Hopefully they'll be too tired to defend properly tomorrow :P
Old March 8th, 2011 (08:05 AM).

Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Went:
Kuyt's hat trick was probably the worst one ever scored XD But anyway, Arsenal are just this far away from the lead.

Hopefully they'll be too tired to defend properly tomorrow :P
Oh don't worry they can't defend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usmnlv389SY

I've started a pretty large debate in my school over who is better between Messi and Ronaldo. To me it can only be Ronaldo as Messi hasn't proven himself against legues with better defence and he also hasn't proven himself without Xavi or Iniesta.
Old March 9th, 2011 (10:29 AM).

Barcelona knocks out Arsenal. Surprise, surprise. And it is all Wenger's fault.

He approached the game all wrong. An attacking team, with an attacking formation, defended? That's very wrong. Every person who watches Barcelona games knows well that even with strong defensive lines, the players will find a way to penetrate the wall. Wenger didn't want to risk exposing his defense by attacking, albeit he had the good players to counterattack strong.

Another year, another CL knockout by Barcelona. Tsk tsk Arsenal.

Now, how did the referee perform on one of the most thrilling and hard games? Surely, a referee of a high degree of acumen and objectivity is needed to supervise such a game, but that wasn't really the case in last night's fixture. Some of the mistakes or controversies that happened were plenty. To name a few, Abidal's "conversation" with Van Persie, Dani Alves's "push" on Nasri, Van Persie's rage on Alves, and probably the most controversial, Van Persie's second yellow card. I mean, really? The referee whistles and at the same time, maybe half a second later, Van Persie shoots to the back of the net, and he is accused of time wasting. That was a "joke", so claims most of Arsenal players, whom I advocate there.

But, a referee's mistakes remain part of every game and last night's result wouldn't have changed otherwise. Barcelona proved to be the better side, and deservedly booked themselves a seat in the quarter finals. Arsenal, hard luck. Please, PLEASE, learn from your mistakes, and maybe reinforce your weak defensive line. And next time, do not start Rosicky instead of Arshavin in games that big. And don't insult the referee no matter how unfair or wrong he was. See, you got fined for it. That is all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am eagerly anticipating this evening's clash of Tottenham and AC Milan. This will surely be an exciting 90-minute watch.

Opinions on who will follow Barcelona and Shakhtar to the next round?
Old March 9th, 2011 (11:06 AM).
Goomba of wisdom
CS

Quote originally posted by Hiche..:
Now, how did the referee perform on one of the most thrilling and hard games? Surely, a referee of a high degree of acumen and objectivity is needed to supervise such a game, but that wasn't really the case in last night's fixture. Some of the mistakes or controversies that happened were plenty. To name a few, Abidal's "conversation" with Van Persie, Dani Alves's "push" on Nasri, Van Persie's rage on Alves, and probably the most controversial, Van Persie's second yellow card. I
You forgot to mention the penalty on Messi during the first half he didn't see despite being inches away from it or the second yellow card he could have shown after the penalty on Pedro. Van Persie's red car was incredibly harsh but, as someone said on the Arsenal forums, you can't really argue against it with the rulebook on hand :\

Either way, the main problem was that Arsenal tried to be Inter and that... just... doesn't work. I'd rather have seen Arsenal dying as the fast, attacking, challenging Arsenal than struggling as something they aren't. I'm still amazed they managed to score a goal with the whooping amount of 0 shots in any direction.

Still, they improved a lot in the Emirates. Maybe if they hadn't tried to use injured players (Cesc was completely out of it), it would have gone better. Or if they had done earlier substitutions (Arshavin gave them a fresher air, but that was when they were losing once again...). They made some mistakes against one of the best sides in Europe that costed them the spot on the quaters.

For the other matches, I bet on Tottenham, Bayern, Manchester and Chelsea. I do believe Shalke will kick Valencia out but I'll be cheering for the Spaniards anyway. About Madrid... I refuse to bet on them, really XD
Old March 9th, 2011 (11:24 AM).

Oh, yeah. I missed that. The referee was confused throughout the game.

Arsenal did try to imitate Inter's tactics from last year, but Inter already had a good defense, Arsenal didn't (don't). Fail. And yeah, Van Persie and Fabregas were way out-of-form. Wenger demolished himself.

I bet on the same teams, but still a little worried about Bayern. They have lost 3 of their last 4 games, and with their coach seemingly heading out in the summer, things will be a little "iffy" on the field. And in contrast, Inter have been in superb form after their home loss to the German side.

If Inter and Milan were to lose their quarter final spot, this will be bad, very bad for Italian football, especially after taking away a champions league spot and offering it to Germany. I am betting both teams will fight hard to come back, so we will expect tough fixtures for the Italian sides.

..oh, and Roma. Umm..no comment.

Chelsea is preparing for the next CL tie. Manchester will narrowly win against Marseille.

I actually like Valencia. They got style. SHALKE WILL SUCCUMB TO THE LIKES OF MATA AND SOLDADO! Probably not. Nuer will shine, again.

As for Madrid, they proved they can cope without Ronaldo, but against Lyon it will be different. With Madrid's current form, they should destroy Lyon, but the French sides always pull off something at the end: they do not give up easily.
Old March 9th, 2011 (12:45 PM).

Gold Tier

For some reason, I'm not wathcing the Spurs-Milan game. It looks like they're holding out so far though.

I'm not so sure about us against Marseille, all of our creative players are injured and at the moment we're forced to pick ageing players (Scholes and Giggs) who can't put in the performances every week and players who simply aren't good enough (Carrick and Gibson). If Marseille come at us, we could be screwed.
Old March 9th, 2011 (12:52 PM).
LIK DIS IF YOU ARA EVERTIM
Crystal Tier

Nature: Gentle
Haven't been in here for ages, tbh my eyes haven't been as glued to the football as they have in past season.

Anyway, my team Norwich (Just promoted from the 3rd tier) are in 3rd place with 10 games to go. Honestly more than I'd even dream of at the beginning of the season, I don't want to jinx it but damn, 2 consecutive promotions would be something.

As for the bigger sides.... Liverpool and Arsenal. LOL.

#bigannoyingsigs4lyf | mal |
Old March 9th, 2011 (12:57 PM).

Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by -Lapras-:
Haven't been in here for ages, tbh my eyes haven't been as glued to the football as they have in past season.

Anyway, my team Norwich (Just promoted from the 3rd tier) are in 3rd place with 10 games to go. Honestly more than I'd even dream of at the beginning of the season, I don't want to jinx it but damn, 2 consecutive promotions would be something.

As for the bigger sides.... Liverpool and Arsenal. LOL.
Thanks to my religious preachings, Wes Hoolahan is now regarded as a god amongst many people I know as well as many other players.

Its the shame I can't say the same about my local team, almost two relegations in three years and forced to play an 18 year old keeper.
Old March 9th, 2011 (01:04 PM).
LIK DIS IF YOU ARA EVERTIM
Crystal Tier

Nature: Gentle
He's always shown glimpses of quality but under Lambert he's been something else, be it the slight positional change, motivation or something else he's been unrecognisable. I mean he passes the ball about 90% more now. :L

It's not been too good up there has it. Tbh i've had a bit of a softspot for Boro since our amazing 4 - 4 draw in our most recent premier league season. Also really enjoyed their Uefa cup run years back (Jimmy Floyd HasselbainkFTW) xD

#bigannoyingsigs4lyf | mal |
Old March 9th, 2011 (01:39 PM).

Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by -Lapras-:
He's always shown glimpses of quality but under Lambert he's been something else, be it the slight positional change, motivation or something else he's been unrecognisable. I mean he passes the ball about 90% more now. :L

It's not been too good up there has it. Tbh i've had a bit of a softspot for Boro since our amazing 4 - 4 draw in our most recent premier league season. Also really enjoyed their Uefa cup run years back (Jimmy Floyd HasselbainkFTW) xD
Since that Uefa run everything has just went down.

Filled stadium to just 14,000 average attendance in a 35,000 seater.

Strachan's reign of terror put the final nail in the coffin, I don't think Boro will see Premier League action again for a long while.

Spurs have done it, pretty glad I didn't watch considering the score.
Old March 9th, 2011 (02:13 PM).
Goomba of wisdom
CS

A nice 0-0 lets Tottenham go through, a sad 3-1 after a promising 0-1 makes my prediction become true and forces Valencia to come back home empty-handed. Shalke will probably be one of the "easiest" teams in the quarters. (I love the headline in Real Madrid's official newspaper- Raúl makes it to the quarters 7 years later).
Old March 12th, 2011 (09:15 AM).

Gold Tier

Cup tie against Arsenal with Gibson and O'Shea at centre mid, we're going to get torn apart.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links