The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 7th, 2011 (03:18 PM).
Mazen
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriсk View Post
Comeback --check.
Scoring at the last minute --check.

Same old Man Utd. Fully deserved, though.
I agree.

Manchester United practically dominated the fixture with the most possession, most shots (on target), and best playing.
Old August 10th, 2011 (12:52 PM).
Went
Marshtomp

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
We just lost 2-1 in Italy- it was a really weird match, and I couldn't recognize half of our team. It didn't help that three players got injured during the first half, either XD Could have been worse if we hadn't got a random penalty on the first half, but the Italians were lucky with a deflection to score the winner on their first serious attempt during the second half. It was entertaining, at least.
Old August 10th, 2011 (01:54 PM).
mondays suck
:)

3:2 against Brazil

They played a surprisingly defensive game, that's not the Brazil I saw when I watched them play the last time ... 2002 or so. So, first half was dominated by them standing in the back and occassionally trying a counter attack but never succeeding. In the second half we managed to crack their defenses with some innovative play though, the name Götze should be worth mentioning somewhere here. What an exceptional talent without being an individualist, I can only hope he'll continue being as awesome as he currently is in the future. Anyway, somehow it ended up as a 3:2 (although the game was almost certain to end 3:1 but then there was that mohawk haircut guy whose name I already forgot...), and I am going to be obnoxious here and say that we deserved it.
Old August 11th, 2011 (08:33 PM).
2Cool4Mewtwo
Pwning in Ubers since 1996.

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondays suck View Post
3:2 against Brazil

They played a surprisingly defensive game, that's not the Brazil I saw when I watched them play the last time ... 2002 or so. So, first half was dominated by them standing in the back and occassionally trying a counter attack but never succeeding. In the second half we managed to crack their defenses with some innovative play though, the name Götze should be worth mentioning somewhere here. What an exceptional talent without being an individualist, I can only hope he'll continue being as awesome as he currently is in the future. Anyway, somehow it ended up as a 3:2 (although the game was almost certain to end 3:1 but then there was that mohawk haircut guy whose name I already forgot...), and I am going to be obnoxious here and say that we deserved it.
Neymar. He's being hyped as one of the best youngsters in Brazil. I think Germany deserved to win, but Brazil wasn't shabby during second half. Scoreline could've been easily been something like 6-2 if Germany pressured Brazil more during the first half. They were they way more dominant side.

Old August 12th, 2011 (07:52 AM).
Went
Marshtomp

So it seems Cesc is finally going back to Barcelona. If Nasri also leaves, Arsenal will find themselves in a very funny situation with the season starting in a few hours.
Old August 12th, 2011 (10:53 AM). Edited August 12th, 2011 by 2Cool4Mewtwo.
2Cool4Mewtwo

There's Ramsey and Wilshere to "cover" those losses, but they lack the experience that Cesc and Nasri has. We'll see how things turn out for Arsenal. Newcastle only gave them 1 point last season (losing a 4 goal lead in the way), and they're bound to lose 2 of their best players, so their season kick-off will be a hard game.

Old August 12th, 2011 (04:22 PM).
Hiche..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Went View Post
So it seems Cesc is finally going back to Barcelona. If Nasri also leaves, Arsenal will find themselves in a very funny situation with the season starting in a few hours.
Cesc's transfer was kind of inevitable. I predicted a definitive move to Barcelona when the once-were rumors began this year (and the years before). I guess now Barcelona learned their lesson not to sell their youth players for good -- either loan them for a reasonable amount of time or sell them with a buy-back option, and not to a large club.

I predict a calamitous season for Arsenal this year.
Old August 13th, 2011 (08:14 AM).
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
No conversation about the first round of Prem games?

1 - 1 away at Wigan for us, I'll take that as they will be a dangerous side this season. QPR got hammered, perfect start. Wolves started well with a 2 - 1 away win at Rovers. Liverpool already dropping home points to the likes of Sunderland and Fulham drew with Villa 0 - 0.

Newcastle v Arsenal to come, Arsenal will have a hell of a job to come in the top 4 this season.

#bigannoyingsigs4lyf | mal |
Old August 13th, 2011 (04:03 PM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Interesting day today for the PL.
I think today is going to sum up Arsenal's season.
Old August 14th, 2011 (01:12 PM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I honestly can't see anyone going down but the teams that came up, they just haven't signed anywhere near good enough players.

It sounds like De Gea screwed up again today so I'll soon be watching match of the day to catch that.

Good win for Boro yesterday and Emnes' dive was brilliant.
Old August 14th, 2011 (03:41 PM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

I haven't seen the De Gea blunder yet, but apparently it was a long shot again, which is certainly worrying, however, a bit of magic by Young saved us.
I would have expected a dominant victory really, but at least the rest of the 'big' teams all failed to win. Only 3 teams won this weekend, pretty interesting static.
Old August 14th, 2011 (07:43 PM). Edited August 14th, 2011 by 2Cool4Mewtwo.
2Cool4Mewtwo

I've seen the whole 90 minutes, so I'll explain what went on.

For the de Gea "blunder," the press is making a total meal out of it. Mistakes are costly, and it did look like he fumbled a bit, but if he did save it it would've been deemed as a wonder save. He needs more time to settle and he needs to ignore the press trying to stress him. I'd say give about 5-10 more games and we'll see how he fares.

Injuries to Vidic and Ferdinand are unfortunate but we have young bloods who can fill those roles. I really don't hope they get injured also.

We were utterly dominant up until about 25-30th minute, then WBA started pressuring us then it was bit even. But in second half we lost some of the luster we had, and was admittedly lucky to lead late on with unfortunate OG from WBA. Young assisted both goals, and quite deserved MOTM, but WBA's Tchoyi and Long played really well too, with latter scoring. We had 65 percent possession, and could've led 0-3 before Long's goal but haven't made the most out of the dominance we had.

Old August 14th, 2011 (11:50 PM).
Went
Marshtomp

So, first Clásico of the season, Madrid 2 - 2 Barça. It's a wonder that Madrid didn't win 5-2 or something, they made an incredible pressure, had most possession and shots on target, and created serious danger in a metter of seconds every time they recovered the ball off a weird and out-of-shape Barça squad. But they only managed to score 1, and then Villa got a wonder off his shoes, and Messi laughed all the Madrid defenders off for an unbelieveable 1-2 at halftime. Alonso managed to even things up shortly after the second half started, and the referee could have conceded a couple of penalties, one for each side, and shown a couple of cards to Pepe.

But, all in all, it's a wonderful result for Barça- playing away, after a bad training month, with some players like Alexis or Messi making their first appearance in the season, with Xavi, Busquets, Piqué and Pedro benched... and they still did not lose. With Cesc around next Wednesday, who knows how it will end.
Old August 15th, 2011 (01:32 PM). Edited August 15th, 2011 by Ramzi.
Ramzi

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Went View Post
So, first Clásico of the season, Madrid 2 - 2 Barça. It's a wonder that Madrid didn't win 5-2 or something, they made an incredible pressure, had most possession and shots on target, and created serious danger in a metter of seconds every time they recovered the ball off a weird and out-of-shape Barça squad. But they only managed to score 1, and then Villa got a wonder off his shoes, and Messi laughed all the Madrid defenders off for an unbelieveable 1-2 at halftime. Alonso managed to even things up shortly after the second half started, and the referee could have conceded a couple of penalties, one for each side, and shown a couple of cards to Pepe.

But, all in all, it's a wonderful result for Barça- playing away, after a bad training month, with some players like Alexis or Messi making their first appearance in the season, with Xavi, Busquets, Piqué and Pedro benched... and they still did not lose. With Cesc around next Wednesday, who knows how it will end.
Messi did not do that much -- Khedira basically offered him the assist, and with the confusion of three or four Madrid players, he managed to squeeze it out and score. Villa's goal was very well-executed.

Madrid deserved to be winners in this fixture, but they were reckless in both of Barcelona's goals. I was surprised at the great performance they displayed, despite Barcelona missing a few key players. Madird missed a lot of chances, something very much expected from them.

Pepe did deserve a card of course (always does), but so did Valdes -- you cannot deny (like most Barcelona fans) that he [softly?] elbowed Ronaldo at the penalty box, or attempted to (Ronaldo was off balance but you can clearly see how Valdes raised his elbow to obsturct him). Nevertheless, it was a indeed penalty. Pepe last season missed Alves and he got a red card -- of course, Alves' playacting helped the referee reach that verdict. Pedro, I think, also deserved a penalty.

And the tremendous irony I felt when reading this: http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain...iago-bernabeu-

On a completely different note, Manchester City thrashed newcomers Swansea City 4-0 -- Aguero couldn't have asked for a better debut with two great goals and an assist.
Old August 15th, 2011 (02:14 PM).
2Cool4Mewtwo

I watched City vs Swansea game. Impressive debut for Aguero. If he keeps that up then I guess they don't have to worry about Tevez anymore.

Old August 15th, 2011 (02:35 PM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

That is true, they won't need him at all, but let's not forget that Man City aren't the best team yet; they feel like a group of amazing players and not a amazing team.
Old August 15th, 2011 (08:10 PM). Edited August 15th, 2011 by 2Cool4Mewtwo.
2Cool4Mewtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
That is true, they won't need him at all, but let's not forget that Man City aren't the best team yet; they feel like a group of amazing players and not a amazing team.
Agreed. They have the best players, but are missing a core element to become a strong contender for the title, which is team chemistry. World class players aren't the only thing required for a club's success.

Moving away from City, Chelsea is still a force to be reckoned with. They drew 0-0 at Stoke this Saturday, but I have to admit they were bit unlucky. I think Torres is starting to pick up his form and I think he will be a goal threat this season (lest he gets injured). With new manager Villas-Boas I think they still have chance to beat us this season, though I still think United is the strongest contender. Bit sorry to hear about Mikel's father being abducted in Nigeria though. Hope everything turns out okay for him.

Old August 16th, 2011 (07:39 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Well not replacing O'Shea is probably going to hit United hard now.

Vidic, Rio and Rafael all injured.

Man City are going to have a pretty good chance at the title this year.
Old August 16th, 2011 (04:07 PM). Edited August 17th, 2011 by Nathaniel..
Nathaniel.
is here

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cool4Mewtwo View Post
Moving away from City, Chelsea is still a force to be reckoned with. They drew 0-0 at Stoke this Saturday, but I have to admit they were bit unlucky. I think Torres is starting to pick up his form and I think he will be a goal threat this season (lest he gets injured). With new manager Villas-Boas I think they still have chance to beat us this season, though I still think United is the strongest contender. Bit sorry to hear about Mikel's father being abducted in Nigeria though. Hope everything turns out okay for him.
I agree to a certain extent that Chelsea can still be a serious title contender this season. However, I'm not particularly impressed with how they approached the game against Stoke -- the tactics Villas-Boas used are nothing different from last year with the 4-3-3 (or 4-1-2-3 or something like that) formation. The best player on the field was arguably Torres. The reason I agree that he might be fit again to display what he used to is Stoke's strong back-line. Coping with that defense is not easy at all.

EDIT:

Madrid could have won, but again they were too reckless. Their unjustified tantrum was the reason they failed to walk out with the trophy. I felt Madrid played better overall in the two legs, but this is football -- you can't ever rule out Barcelona. Real are looking good for the upcoming season and they have a real chance at achieving glory this season.
Old August 26th, 2011 (03:04 AM).
Went
Marshtomp

So, the CL draw was finally held: http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionslea...aws/index.html

I just want to say that I wouldn't ewant to be in group A if I could (and I'm sorry for poor Villarreal, i was there watching their qualifying match not that long ago and now... XD).

Also, Barça and MU have really easy groups.
Old August 26th, 2011 (04:29 AM).
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
And just now the draw for the Europa league has just been made. Legia Warszawa is one of the teams I follow and they're in it this year so I've got someone to support for once! =D
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old August 28th, 2011 (09:41 AM). Edited August 28th, 2011 by Went.
Went
Marshtomp

Arsenal are in for a world of pain this year. Just a feeling I have.

Also, Cesc must be happy- in 28 minutes played for Barcelona, he has already won as many titles as he did in 8 years for Arsenal.

(Also David De Gea, I heard that dude was good. If you don't mind losing his amazing abilities at stoping penalties, you can send him back to us, we won't mind.)
Old August 28th, 2011 (11:28 PM).
2Cool4Mewtwo

I've expected us United to win (actually I couldn't even sleep properly because of MU vs Arsenal) because of their depleted side and all, but never like this. 8-2 is just stunning and unreal. Hope we can do this against other teams as well.

Old August 31st, 2011 (07:30 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

8-2 was a crazy result, I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, it's deadline day and I always love it. :D

Good news for Scott Parker, no massive transfer yet though.

Hoping Boro will nab a striker.
Old August 31st, 2011 (09:03 AM).
Went
Marshtomp

Meanwhile, here in Spain, 18 teams are criticizing the league and asking for more TV rights money, after Madrid trounced 0-6 the relegation prime suspect Zaragoza and Barcelona destroyed the Champions League team Villarreal 5-0 with just one defender on the pitch.

They say that the fact that both teams earn an extra €100 million a year more than the second best-paid team kind of unbalances the competition, and it's hard to deny their claims.

Sponsored Links